Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: day^_^
Start Date: Feb 2013
new and new ...eeek

I'm new I just need some input on my new found induction fatigue... Im 3days in...can't think or function properly ...Im dragging at work ...I can't workout....shud I push myself or wait for it to pass? plz help
day^_^ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Check out Dr. Eades post on getting through Induction Flu.

Google 'dr eades tips tricks starting low-carb' and it should be the first two links. It is a two part article.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Drink salty broth, take a multivitamin, use plenty of salt on your food, try a sugar free drink with electrolytes to see if that helps, possibly add potassium (e.g., salt replacement) and magnesium supplements. Get extra sleep and drink lots of water. Eat to satiety of foods allowed on induction. Try to be patient. I hope you feel better soon.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thx I have been taking 3 multivitamins everyday for weeks...I was told sum salt and 1tbsp of soy sauce wud do it but I guess its not doin much...i feel like I'm following rules and I feel like roadkill. Sry for sounding whiney lol
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by day^_^ View Post
Thx I have been taking 3 multivitamins everyday for weeks...I was told sum salt and 1tbsp of soy sauce wud do it but I guess its not doin much...i feel like I'm following rules and I feel like roadkill. Sry for sounding whiney lol
You mention that you are "3 days in." It may take longer than that for your body to adjust to eating induction-style low carb. Try to hang in there for a week or two; I expect you will start feeling better soon. Possibly up the salt and try a sugar free electrolyte drink to see if either of those things help. Don't have any expectations about working out until your body adjusts; be kind to yourself and get extra rest instead.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

yea a whole three days lol... I thought my body havin been used to vitamins and overall healthy eating would make a smoother transition...ill take ur advice for sure... and if u have any other helpful tips advice warnings ...anything plz let me kno.. I'm brandnew here and brandnew to this...
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Your body was used to different levels of macronutrients (fats, carbs, protein) before, even if you were eating a basically healthy diet, and even the levels of specific digestive enzymes that your body needs changes when you shift from eating higher to lower carbohydrate levels (and eating more fat and/or protein instead).

Are you following a specific plan (such as Atkins, Eades Protein Power,or South Beach)? If not, I encourage you to pick a plan, read the book from cover to cover, and follow it to the letter, at least for the first few weeks.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

do u suggest taking a digestive enzyme every once in a while or just let my body adjust on its own..?
I have done some research based on how I want to go about this and everything seems to point back to an adkins like lifestyle.. I do wana go strict these first two weeks or more if I'm not completely bored with my selection (esp bcuz I'm allergic to sum veggys) and I like the fact I can eventually incorporate more carbs but I don't kno a whole lot about other lc styles/diets...everything iv ever read or looked up always takes me to adkins which is cool by me I suppose
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
do u suggest taking a digestive enzyme every once in a while or just let my body adjust on its own..?
I have done some research based on how I want to go about this and everything seems to point back to an adkins like lifestyle.. I do wana go strict these first two weeks or more if I'm not completely bored with my selection (esp bcuz I'm allergic to sum veggys) and I like the fact I can eventually incorporate more carbs but I don't kno a whole lot about other lc styles/diets...everything iv ever read or looked up always takes me to adkins which is cool by me I suppose
I suggest just letting your body adjust, by being patient. Read one of the Atkins books or at the very least go to the Atkins website and read what is there, especially in terms of what is allowed during induction and ongoing weight loss very carefully.

It's hard for me to see how the first two weeks could be "boring" if you are willing to do a lowcarb diet heavy on protein sources, fats, and nonstarchy vegetables. There are multiple sources of protein--lots of different kinds of fish and shellfish, beef, lamb, pork, poultry, eggs--allowed and nearly all vegetables except potatoes, yams, beets, carrots, and winter squash. That leaves you with dozens of kinds of allowed vegetables, plus healthy fats like butter and olive oil. If eating that way for just 2 weeks seems so boring that it might not be bearable to you, then I don't think this way of eating is for you. In that case, you might do better with something like South Beach or Weight Watchers.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

I have done all the reading on the website and that's pretty much what I've been guided by these 3 days... I gave up red meat and pork almost six yrs ago ...allergic to most shellfish, eggs, tomatoes, avacadocucumber,sum nuts, lentils, berries etc. I'm left without too many options as it is I guess I shouldve specified.. so I already consider my options kinda boring I can only hope it doesn't get much more bland thanI sum times feel I'm already at. I will look up south beach diet but will continue lc
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know if you cook much, but one of the best ways to make a restricted diet not boring is to try out new recipes with interesting spices. Linda Sue's lowcarb recipes (google that) has loads of tasty recipes, and there's a big recipe section on this board, plus lots of lowcarb and paleo-style cookbooks and recipe websites available. I often cook dishes with Indian or Mexican or Asian spices, which don't seem boring even if the core ingredient (say, chicken) is often the same.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

I am not the greatest cook..... ok I evaporated the water trying to boil it for easy mac one day...lol that's how I cook... I've been trying to add different spices to the same dishes these past three days and my steamed veggies have never tasted better! I will most certainly Google that site Thx. hey do u kno what's the deal with soy sauce I keep reading yes...then no... I used half a tbl spoon last night n today Idk if I shud risk anymore... also Sry to keep askin ...but have u tried carb blocking supplements? or r those an affirmative no-no.... ?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/190.8/160
WOE: Keto
What is it that you do eat, can you post your menus with quantities here?

Are you adding any fats to your diet?

Personally, unless the soy sauce is made traditionally, I would stay away from the stuff. It's not too great IMO. I would stay away from any type of unfermented soy product. Check the label of your soy sauce and see if it was traditionally fermented or not.

Why are you taking three multivitamins a day? Are they recommended to be taken that often? Are you taking any other supplements?

What was your diet like before you started LC? If you had a very high carb diet, it may be that the detox feelings are a little stronger in the beginning whilst your body starts adapting.

Also, is there a specific reason for you not eating red meats?

Are you drinking enough fluids?

And I second the suggestion of drinking some broth every day. Great stuff and it will help you get over the first few days of feeling yukky whilst your body adapts to LC.

I would stay away from carb blockers, they don't work and are a waste of money IMO.

xxx Mims.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Personally, unless the soy sauce is made traditionally, I would stay away from the stuff. It's not too great IMO. I would stay away from any type of unfermented soy product. Check the label of your soy sauce and see if it was traditionally fermented or not.
Mims, what should the label say or what should I look for on the label? My La Choy doesn't say anything about fermented. Or is there a particular brand to look for?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Mims, what should the label say or what should I look for on the label? My La Choy doesn't say anything about fermented. Or is there a particular brand to look for?
Not Mimosa, but I use Eden Foods or San-J brands, organic wheat-free or gluten-free tamari. Both are "naturally" or "traditionally" fermented. However, I like the taste of the Shoyu type better than tamari, but that does have wheat in it.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Mistizoom. Those are Trader Joe's items? Or maybe Sprouts?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

mimosa an example of what I eat in lc a day wud b
-brkfst ..tuna with mayo greens and a small piece of cheese
lunch(at wrk) ...string cheese and olives
-dinner.. tuna or chicken mixed with mayo yellow chilie peppers celery spices greens ..on the side one cup broccoli one cup cauliflower steamed with many spices and I usually have that in kind of a soupy form
brkfst fluids...water ...zerocarb zero sugar rockstar (for work)
water thru out the day (mayb not enuf)
a diet coke or more water bottles with dinner.
I voluntarily gave up red meat and pork (with the exception of occasional pork rind)lol
my doc suggested it might b healthier to cut down and I dove head first.
before lc I used to eat a lot of chicken yogurt salad (usually fastfood salad) fried chicken grilled chicken ..iv stayed away frm bread and pastas and most yeast except for beer
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

oh and yes my multivitamin is directed three times a day ..I've been taking it for weeks and my body does just fine and my hair really likes it (i have long hair)..
no other supplements (aside allergy meds ]
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

plz suggest sum good broths I can buy ^_^
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

I make my broth from scratch, from simmering chicken backs and wings in filtered water with apple cider vinegar for several hours, but you probably want something easier than that. I used to use Pacific Natural Organic Free Range Chicken broth. Don't buy the low sodium kind, or if you do, salt it generously (and maybe add salt to regular broth, unless it already tastes pretty salty to you). One of the reasons to drink broth in to get enough salt.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I say bring that pork and beef back. I thi k your doc was wrong, just going along w the whole 1970's low saturated fat party line. You should read some Taubes and see what you think.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

I wud luv too just go back to lean red meatit wud make this diet easier for me....(bcuz of allergy purposes limiting me somuch already) but I'm def not in this for easy I'm in in for long term health and hope a few lbs (20+)come off in the process.. plus I always felt super bloated (Sry tmi) and this is helping me with all that. I'm going to sprouts today for more veggies ill look for organic broth ...I look forward to the days of yogurt but I read that sugar free jello is allowed.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I wud luv too just go back to lean red meatit wud make this diet easier for me....(bcuz of allergy purposes limiting me somuch already) but I'm def not in this for easy I'm in in for long term health and hope a few lbs (20+)come off in the process.. plus I always felt super bloated (Sry tmi) and this is helping me with all that. I'm going to sprouts today for more veggies ill look for organic broth ...I look forward to the days of yogurt but I read that sugar free jello is allowed.
Speaking just for myself, I think that it's more important that I buy pastured, organic, grass-finished beef than that I avoid red meat altogether. Some of the evidence suggesting red meat is not great for health may be due to antibiotics, growth hormones, and grain feeding of the beef than to beef per se (or to other additives in processed meats like hotdogs and coldcuts).