Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
The original poster, I don't think, was posting about fasting, they just asked if it was ok not to eat if you aren't hungry. That's different than fasting, in my opinion.

And if we are talking not eating when you aren't hungry, yes, I think that is perfectly fine because as other posters have noted, eating when we weren't hungry; is pretty much how we got here in the first place. Learn to listen to your body and act accordingly. You WILL get hungry, guaranteed.

Last edited by JoSkids; 02-24-2013 at 02:55 PM..
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 71yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet; JUDDD
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12: 1/17/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Adding more fuel to the "YMMV" fire: there is a lot of chatter now about a 16 hour fasting/8 hour eating window, too.
Google: "The 8 Hour Diet" for that info (because there's not enough differing opinions on this yet! )

I tried the 8 Hour Fast and didn't care for it at all. Rather my body didn't. I don't think it's good to be so hungry over so much time. JMHO, this is what eats up muscle. I started the Fast before I got the book, but after I read the book I thought the author wrote a bunch of bull just pulling from other plans plus supporting the government WOE. <- We know where that has landed Americans.

OTOH, I know a poster who is doing this, but eating high fat and belongs to WW. She was smart and modified.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I'll listen to that Phinney podcast tonight. I am not sure if I have heard that one. I want to hear what he says happens after the 1st 24 hours.
I listened to a youtube presentation today by Jeff Volek, and another that Jimmy Moore did in Australia about his N=1 Nutritional Ketosis experiment. Both are well worth watching. Volek's(5 part) first as the background helps with JM's.
Lots of good information pertaining to this discussion. Jimmy had to cut his protein way down to get into NK. I think he said he is at 85%F, 12%P, 3%C.
I think the big difference is whether you are "keto adapted"/"fat adapted" or just "in ketosis".
We typically see numbers and formulas, but you really have to listen to your body. I don't think the OP was considering not eating all day. I don't think you have to eat breakfast if you really aren't hungry. Odds are you will be at lunch.
One plan will tell you to eat 50g of protein first thing and another will tell you never to eat more than 20g at a time. We know excess protein is turned to glucose.
This isn't one size fits all. It all depends on your body, activity level, and other variables.
Liz1959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Hunger is an interesting thing, because I have only been doing VLC since December 25th. I have really been struggling. The first day I tried LC it was under 50g and I had no appetite at all. In one day I doubt I was in ketosis and I wasn't fat adapted obviously. Then when I started reducing carbs from 100g to below 50g, I lost my appetite. But then it soon returned a couple of weeks later, accompanied by bouts of extreme hypoglycemia. Then I brought my carbs below 20g and upped my calories for a couple of days. And now my hunger seems almost non existent. And I haven't had any hunger or hypoglycemia in about 4 days. I am deducing that hunger for me is probably more related to carb cravings, and my body's lack of ability to convert to fat burning mode efficiently. I feel great in the morning, and can go until noon without even thinking about food. I think this is because my body is in ketosis. However in my case when I do eat, my food usually contains some carbs and protein, which causes an insulin response. Then I think I must get knocked out of ketosis. Because the meal seems to induce hypoglycemia sometimes and it seems to take a long time for my body to feel the same way it did first thing in the morning.

So I think in OPs case, the lack of hunger means that he/she is in ketosis and isn't getting knocked out of it like I am whenever he/she eats. That is the only thing I can think of because once that body is in a state where its happily burning fat, and there is enough in the diet and in storage, it probably won't ask for more food. So if OP has enough storage fat and is fat adapted then the body will just continue to burn fat. Why would it go to muscle protein unless OPs body isn't fat adapted. I'm not fat adapted yet which is why I struggle with hypoglycemia and hunger. In other words, my body is still asking for glucose for energy.

So does this mean you should eat even if you aren't hungry? It depends what you mean, by that. If it means just skipping meals then no, but if we are talking about skipping days that might be different. To be on the safe side I would at least eat just a bit of protein a day, just to give your body the protein it needs to repair protein based body tissues, but it sounds like your body is happily burning fat for energy now. It also sounds like you have broken the carb dependency too which is great!

And that is my non-medical opinion. Which of course is to be taken with a grain of salt!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
Now here's a different thought. Is a slower metabolism Really such a bad thing??

Setting aside all the evidence about Fasting being helpful to weight-loss, from IF 16-8 & JUDD and Fast-5... disregarding all that, I do know people who habitually fast for reasons of faith, and they tend to be slim.

Now, what if Fasting does slow the metabolism? But what if it also - like Atkins itself - reduces hunger?? Then the first result is a $Lower Grocery Bill!! That means, more money available for the food you actually do eat.. so you can eat better quality food.

And a second result, in the experience of Many Many people, is that Limited fasting seems to Increase energy.
So that a supposedly-lowered Metabolism is Not lowering your energy.

So think about it. Why make yourself eat when you're not hungry, for the sole purpose of increasing your metabolism in order to burn off those calories which you otherwise wouldn't have eaten because you weren't hungry? ??

And, why do we all think this makes sense??

Personally, I'm coming to the conclusion that "lowering-" or "raising-" our "metabolism" is yet another myth perpetuated to keep us all spending our money on the diet & food industries' treadmill.

Last edited by fiddlejen; 02-25-2013 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: clarity
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I came from JUDDD to 16:8 and I have never had appetite suppression like this except when I did a short bout of NK. It is wonderful and the energy that I have through fasting both ADF and 16 hours is out of the roof!

If you find that you get too hungry on the 16 hour, try doing it 13 hours then 14, etc. Also, as long as you spare protein, you could have a pickle or cuke in the fasting period. I just drink water. But, Jaminet believes the protein fast is essential, so you could have the non-protein veggie for relief, if needed.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote