Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I need more exercise (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797596-i-need-more-exercise.html)

ljmama0408 02-21-2013 09:20 AM

I need more exercise

I'm only exercising about twice a week for about 30 min. I'll do the treadmill and lift some weights one time and maybe an exercise video the next time. I know I need to exercise more than just twice a week. How many days should I do?

chinahopes 02-21-2013 09:31 AM

I think that twice a week is a great start, and 3-4 is probably ideal. Are you walking on the treadmill or doing something more intense? In my experience, you have to get your heart rate up for a treadmill to be effective. Maybe cut out the treadmill all together (or hit the elliptical) or just do more videos. I started doing the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels and it is only 20 minutes long, but it is unbelievable intense so it is a really efficient use of 20 minutes of exercise.

CindyCRNA 02-21-2013 09:35 AM

I do every other day, weight lifting.

ljmama0408 02-21-2013 10:53 AM

I'm doing a walk/jog when I do the treadmill. The speed is about 3.0-3.5. At this point it's fast enough for me to get my heart rate elevated. The video I do is Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. Isn't she intense? LoL I think I will try for 3-4 days. Thank you for your input :)

rubidoux 02-21-2013 12:07 PM

What are your goals?

2f2f 02-21-2013 12:33 PM

I just started doing Turbo Jam (20 minutes in the morning) and according to an online tracker it burns over 300 calories for a person my size - and it's fun!

asosanko 02-21-2013 12:47 PM

I play DDR every day just because its fun! when it comes to the gym I want to try to go every day but that never happens... 2 days is better than no days!:)

creseis 02-21-2013 01:11 PM

yes, it depends on your goals. Is there an event that you can use as a goal to work towards? Sometimes that helps people stick with it better. For example, you could sign up for a charity walk/run or bike ride in 2 months and increase your exercise every week until you are able to reach the goal distance or speed.

svenskamae 02-21-2013 03:14 PM

For resistence training (for example, with weights), you should only exercise every other day to let your muscles heal and recover. Cardio and stretching exercises can be done every day, if you want to do them that often and can get into the habit. Personally, I think it's better for most people to exercise a moderate amount of time (say, an hour or less) frequently, rather than long infrequent sessions. If you are doing some intense exercise, like Jillian Michaels, it makes sense to have shorter sessions; I can do the less intense Jane Fonda Prime Time exercises for a fairly long time. (Of course, it makes sense to work out longer if you are training for an event like a marathon or want to get to a particular destination on a bike.)

It does seem like thinking through and setting goals in terms of achieving something (strength? balance? flexibility? toning? endurance? performing through an event? getting better at a sport like tennis? walking rather than driving to work?) would help you answer your own question.

avid 02-21-2013 03:21 PM

Exercise is great.
Not the best activity for weight loss, but for over all health,
combining a low carb woe with frequent exercise is the bomb.
I ride a bike, and use weights and the rower at the gym.
It's rare that I don't do some form of exercise but I listen to my body.
If it says "take the day off and rest" then that's what I do.

ljmama0408 02-21-2013 03:29 PM

My goal is to maintain a healthy weight and lower my bp between low carb and exercise. I think I need to make exercise more of a priority for my health.