Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Food Combinations (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797586-food-combinations.html)

MattWCZY 02-21-2013 07:42 AM

Food Combinations

So, I have a fairly complicated question, I think...but I was hoping someone might be able to help me with the answer.

I'm trying to figure out the significance of combining fats with the carbs I do eat throughout the day. For instance, let's say I want to eat a 1/3 cup serving of blueberries as a snack. Would it be advantageous for me to add something like HWC or to eat this snack with a higher-fat meal in order to avoid an insulin spike? Or would I be just fine / experience a minimal impact by eating the blueberries alone, knowing that they fit within my 30-40 net carbs per day? This would also apply to vegetable consumption and other fruits too. I ask this because I know the glycemic load of sugary and starchy foods generally decreases when fat is added.

I'm curious to see what insight people might have on this. Thanks!:)

Kimberli33 02-21-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattWCZY (Post 16271803)
So, I have a fairly complicated question, I think...but I was hoping someone might be able to help me with the answer.

I'm trying to figure out the significance of combining fats with the carbs I do eat throughout the day. For instance, let's say I want to eat a 1/3 cup serving of blueberries as a snack. Would it be advantageous for me to add something like HWC or to eat this snack with a higher-fat meal in order to avoid an insulin spike? Or would I be just fine / experience a minimal impact by eating the blueberries alone, knowing that they fit within my 30-40 net carbs per day? This would also apply to vegetable consumption and other fruits too. I ask this because I know the glycemic load of sugary and starchy foods generally decreases when fat is added.

I'm curious to see what insight people might have on this. Thanks!:)

IMO,Combine your higher carb foods with fat,you will find that it helps to keep you FULL longer because fat has a satisfying quality and helps avoid insulin spikes as well.

MattWCZY 02-21-2013 07:55 AM

That's kind of what I figured too. Thanks for the reply.

LiterateGriffin 02-21-2013 08:05 AM

If I'm going so "splurge" on something like blueberries, I ALWAYS do it with fat. It IS still sugar, and you WILL still spike... unless you've got the fat in there to keep you steady.

And yes, berries in cream is one of my favorite ways to do it! I did this while we were traveling for my birthday, and felt positively decadent, even though I was still being "good".

OH! If you're at home, you can pull out your immersion-blender & WHIP the HWC, and dunk the berries in it. Talk about feeling "sinful" while keeping on-plan!

All the pleasure, and none of the blood-sugar spikes.

livinlarge 02-21-2013 09:06 AM

The short answer is "yes"
Always have a fat or protein/fat combination with your carb