LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
High Fat/LC question

I know the final answer to this question is to experiment on myself.. but I thought I'd ask the experts or those who have experimented with this before. So, here goes:

Most of us who have been a student of low carb diets know that it's okay to eat lots of good quality fat.. it is encouraged for satiation. Do you think the amount of fat that you can consume and still lose depends on the daily amount of carb intake vs for a longer period such as a few days or a week? Especially for those who try carb cycling, if I am on a higher carb day of 50-75, should I cut my fat on that day? Or do you think because I had a lower carb day yesterday (20) and will have a medium day tomorrow (35) that I can keep my fat just as high? I made up this example by the way - there is no plan I am familiar with that necessarily uses these numbers of carb grams...

I've read several of the top LC books, and I am also reading and dabbling with Paleo which can be up to 100 carbs a day. I bought a glucometer. It's all so confusing! Most say that calories really do count and if there is no deficit there will not be a loss.

Thanks!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
OPINION, mileage may vary, and many may disagree, BUT....

I would eat high-fat regardless of my carb-level, simply because the benefits of fat do not go away if I have a few more carbs on a given day. It still signals satiation, it still prevents hunger, it still keeps my blood sugar balanced.

Also, I have found that -- FOR MYSELF -- there does not appear to be an "upper limit" to the amount of fat I can (voluntarily) consume, and continue to lose. In fact, the more fat I consume, the better I lose. Period.

I know this isn't true for all, and at least a couple members here have to watch their fat closely.... But for me, if I still feel like eating, I can still eat fat.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
What she said...
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patina
Stats: 260/244/155
WOE: Low to Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2013
For me calories do matter. I have found that if I go above 1400 in a day, I always gain. I like to stay between 1200-1300 and to do that, I track everything I eat, every day. Tracking just keeps me concious of how much I'm eating.

So while I aim for high fat, moderate protein and low carb, calories factor into the magic mix.
Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
IMO, it seems logical that if you increase carbs in a day or carbs within a 2 hour window, then you will also trigger a greater insulin response which will shuttle away more of the current dietary fats consumed, rather than them being broken down in the liver into ketones...

Of course another thing to consider is ketosis adaptation. Inititally the brain needs 100grams of carbs, but over time (as little as 3 weeks) the Brain becomes uses more and more ketones and less less glucose (being made through gluconeogenesis or being eaten). That said, the brain's requirmement for glucose could be as low as 40 grams at the end of three weeks (although I have read other places as low as 25 grams) which means in order to maintain ketosis you would have to be eating either 40g (or 25g) or less of carbohydrate as the brain adapts.

As such, if you have higher carb days in which your carbs are raised above your new ketosis adapted requirements, then you could create a temporay suspension of ketosis, resulting in the dietary fats consumed to stop being broken down, and potentially stored away instead if insulin is high enough.
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxbane View Post
IMO, it seems logical that if you increase carbs in a day or carbs within a 2 hour window, then you will also trigger a greater insulin response which will shuttle away more of the current dietary fats consumed, rather than them being broken down in the liver into ketones...
Insulin doesn't "shuttle away" dietary fats. It instead triggers carbohydrates to be stored as adipose tissue (ie. body-fat)
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
If you want to lose weight over time, it is probably more important to keep your carbs low overall... meaning over the day and over the longer periods of time. The amount of fat in your diet will then be a factor in weight loss.

If you are expecting 'carb cycling' to work, I think that methodology is designed for people who are not already metabolically challenged (i.e. excess adipose tissue).
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
I eat a very high fat low carb diet. Once in awhile my carbs may be a little higher but my daily fat intake is pretty consistent. I don't count calories. I usually only eat twice a day and eat until I'm full. I've been eating this way for several years now and right now I am about 20 pounds under my original goal. I don't intend to change anything about the way I eat. I think my body is close to where it wants to be weight wise. I'm good with that. I know everyone is different but keeping my fat intake high and consistent has worked for me.
Dr. William Castelli, a director of the Framingham Heart Study, (the longest running heart disease study), declared: "In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol...we found that the people who ate the most cholesterol,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active"
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
Thanks all!

Thank you for your responses! It helps hearing about everyone's experiences.

I started using my glucometer yesterday to determine how much carb my body can handle. I seem to be less carb sensitive than I thought when I have a complete meal that includes fat and protein. Of course, I want to keep my carbs low but I may not have to keep it at VLC. I will forget the carb cycling idea, because yes.. it seems to be for people who are already quite fit and just stalled. I do want to try more of a paleo approach though, and I can now determine if some berries and/or starchy veggies will work for me.

I found a calculator by Jenny Ruhl that helps you determine your nutrient breakdown based on your carb intake.. And, the authors of the Perfect Health Diet give you an idea, too.

Thanks again everyone!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You will make the best decisions for you. We are all learning what works for ourselves, individually. The most salient thing I have read is in my signature because it reminds me that I have a broken metabolism.

" dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote