Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Low Carb Dinner Party! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797553-low-carb-dinner-party.html)

labmini 02-20-2013 03:47 PM

Low Carb Dinner Party!

I am hosting my 4 best friends from high school and their husbands for a weekend in early April, and would like to keep it low carb, but will make one starchy side to have. Apps, dinner and breakfast the next morning.

I tend to go over board on the apps, so was planning on keeping dinner pretty simple. I started thinking a ham, Mac and cheese and a salad. Then I saw a recipe for kohlrabi topped Shepherd's pie and thought that might be good with asparagus.

Breakfast will be some sort of crustless quiche I am guessing with morning breads that I can skip

Also feeding 10 adults isn't cheap so I am thinking rib eyes on the grill are out!

I appreciate any ideas thrown this way!

Julie1972 02-20-2013 04:12 PM

Lasagna made with long thin slices of zucchini instead of noodles would be good and feed a lot of people. You could serve it with salad and garlic bread. Another option would be steak kabobs (could use cheaper sirloin steaks cut into cubes) with cherry tomatoes, onions and mushrooms. You could pair the kabobs with almost any starchy side and maybe some grilled veggies (asparagus, squash, zucchini, etc). Chicken or a Costco sized pork loin on the grill would be good too! Good luck with your party!

reddarin 02-20-2013 04:20 PM

As long as you are steadfast with LC you can do a a completely mixed dinner. Plenty of carby sides and dishes with discrete LC choices for yourself that don't really stand out. Your plate - LC meats and LC veggies. Desert can be LC cheesecake. If there is enough variety your LC choices won't stand out as odd.

tymom 02-20-2013 05:17 PM

Roast or grill a tri-tip. Yummy and way cheaper than ribeyes. Big salad, grilled asparagus or other veggies. Whatever carby side dishes people cant live without.

As an aside, i am hosting a dinner in March for a group of 10 that do this monthly (we have a chef come in and prepare. all i have to do is invite, buy wine, and set the table.) We are going to do a "stealth LC" dinner... no sugar or flour, and see if anyone even notices! Hhaha.

Big Stevie 02-20-2013 05:25 PM

First don't announce at low carb and most people won't notice.

Cook a couple of vegetables you can eat along with a salad. For meat, a ham or a tri tip would work well. Then bake some potatoes for the others.

For apps, do deviled eggs, guacamole with chips for others and celery for you, and maybe some humus (pitas for them, celery sticks or cucumbers for you).

A quiche in the morning would be perfect with some potatoes and toast on the side for them.

Have fun.

drjlocarb 02-20-2013 06:10 PM

If you do the right apps, no one will notice it is all LC.

I have recipes for breakfast breads, (LC. zucc, pumpkin, or lemon poppy seed).

Dinner...meat, side veggie, side veggie. No starch involved, and no one will no one will notice. I have done this many times. I even did a Thanksgiving all low carb.

Let me know, I will help.

labmini 02-20-2013 06:13 PM

Thank you all so much! I love all of the ideas and think a LC cheesecake is in order for sure!!!

Mimosa23 02-21-2013 05:14 AM

I'm hosting 20 people this weekend for my birthday/housewarming and I'm making it LC all the way (apart from the beer that will also be served for those who drink it).

There will be fingerfoods and cake.
I am making: two crustless quiches, cut into manegeable pieces for fingerfood. One with leek, ham and gouda cheese, the other one with salmon, broccoli and feta cheese.
Then I'll have cruditees and dips, the dips will be: garlic/avocado and a salsa dip.
(once cooled, the quiches are still tasty, and firmer so easier to eat)

I will probably make a plate with cheese cubes and cubes of chorizo in red wine as well.

Then there will be LC brownies for a B'day cake, with a side of whipped mascarpone with fresh raspberries.

I am not saying anything to anyone about it. Only my BF knows of course, but he likes my cooking anyway, so he won't tell!

Wishing you luck for the weekend, labmini, hope all goes smoothly for you!
xxx

Casey 02-21-2013 05:32 AM

That's the KEY thing - not to call it low carb! My family always complained about my low carb food, but after making chicken cordon bleu (crusted in pork rinds), shepherds pie topped with mashed cauliflower & cheese, pot roast with roasted Brussels sprouts.... Now they love it when I cook! At Christmas I made pumpkin cheesecake and they ate more of my food than the other options available!

labmini 02-21-2013 06:14 AM

Yes! I am going to be sure not to mention LC

I was thinking Mexican pot roast beef tacos, with rice and beans for those who want them - I worry about only having the garnishes as vegetables and I love yellow rice so I worry about my resolve as well. Maybe not such a great idea?

Jalapeņo poppers, queso fundito, salsa, veggies and chips for apps

LC cheesecake for dessert (does anyone think this is weird after a Mexican themed dinner?)

In the morning crustless quiche or baked eggs with breakfast breads

I am just going back and forth on the theme and that I would be having a taco salad and if that is what I want! I eat them a lot- and after writing this maybe I just talked myself out of tacos

It's the first weekend in April so I don't think I want anything too heavy and homey comfort food like a stew or braise, but its not quite really spring yet - at least not here on
LI typically. So that's why I thought the tacos and it can all be done in advance

Mimosa have a WONDERFUL party this weekend! I am sure it's going to be one tasty affair!!!! And Happy Birthday!
Thanks to all for the ideas, very much appreciated!!!

Melle's_Sweetheart 02-21-2013 06:30 AM

When I throw a dinner party, I make it low carb. Sometimes I buy a loaf of bread in case someone misses it or I'll make potatoes, but for the most part, I cook the same items that I cook when I'm home with my husband.

I see it this way---I cook the way *I* cook. If that is without carbs/sugar then so be it.

Just a note--most people don't even notice! I've yet to have someone say 'this dinner seems to be low carb'......:laugh:

Mimosa23 02-21-2013 06:31 AM

You still have some time to plan, which is nice!

Will let you know how it went and if I hear of any complaints about the lack of carbs... (I highly doubt it)

I have thrown LC parties before and always cook LC (at least, when I'm on the wagon, LOL). I usually don't offer any carby sides. Only at breakfast, there is bread on offer. I don't really like this, but that is something DBF also enjoys, so can't really be terrorising everyone to eat like I do!

Also, for lunch it is really nice to have cold salads.
They are easy to make in advance, and keep well for 3 to 4 days. I would go for:
Chicken, avocado, bacon.
Tuna, spring onion, mayo
Egg mayo

Serve green salad leaves and pieces of other vegetables with it, so that people can build their own salads. If you worry about the lack of carby sides, you could always serve some baguettes with it. Cheap, easy and very tasty.

Anyway, have fun planning and do get back to us once it's all over to let us know how it all went!
xx

reddarin 02-21-2013 06:53 AM

There is never a weird time to have cheesecake heh :)

Emily-D 02-21-2013 07:09 AM

What do you do when the friends are fat-phobic? We have friends who don't want any oil or other source of fat in their food.

Mimosa23 02-21-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily-D (Post 16271544)
What do you do when the friends are fat-phobic? We have friends who don't want any oil or other source of fat in their food.

If they come over to your place, you decide what to cook. If you go over there, they will decide. You can both choose to eat or not to eat.
Do they ask you to cook without fat for them? If you would ask them to cook low carb, high fat, would they do the same for you?

I would be awful in this situation, I would could whatever and not say what it is. Let them experience it for themselves.

I have been known to sneak in coconut oil wherever possible, LOL!

labmini 02-22-2013 06:25 AM

So I think I am going to go with the tacos, I did a search and found some veggies side dishes so I can scrap the beans. I might still make the rice, but will leave it up to carb husband to decide if we "need" it

Thanks so much all and I can't wait for the low carb cheesecake!

Melle's_Sweetheart 02-22-2013 06:48 AM

If they come over to your place, you decide what to cook. If you go over there, they will decide. You can both choose to eat or not to eat.
Do they ask you to cook without fat for them? If you would ask them to cook low carb, high fat, would they do the same for you?

:goodpost:

I totally agree.

I recently ate dinner at the house of a friend of my husband. I don't know the wife at all and she cooked Thai food. It was chicken (good) with coconut milk from a can (sugary) with rice (ugh) and mango (ugh) salad. I made the best of it!

I ate the chicken only and apologized.

When you're an invited guest, you have no right to dictate how the host cooks your food.

1sweettea1 02-22-2013 07:53 AM

Happy Birthday Mimosa! Happy Housewarming, too!
What a wonderful bunch of ideas!
Thanks everyone! :)

nolcjunk 02-22-2013 08:02 AM

What about a salad? I love one with lots of different mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, different colored peppers, radiccio, some scallions, and then on the side some feta and evoo, lemon quarters, and vinegar. It works for everyone- low carb, low fat,low cal, vegetarian, vegan. I found that many love seeing a salad and are grateful that there is a healthier option.

phurst_gal 02-24-2013 05:37 PM

I do kebabs many times when we're entertaining. I do both beef and chicken, with onions. Separate kebabs with veggies (peppers, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, whatever). Some basmati rice, and you're good to go.

Gives everyone their choice. Even vegen/vegetarian friendly.

I have longer metal skewers. We're in South Florida, so we cook on the grill. Oven would work too, I imagine.

muncheechee 02-24-2013 06:56 PM

Tacos sound like a great idea to me... actually for my son's birthday dinner party earlier this month we made a self serve taco bar that was well received. Just have some lc tortillas alongside the regular tortillas and hard shells and chips for your guests. I wouldn't bother with rice or beans but have a variety of lc toppings. A key lime cheesecake would pair perfectly with your Mexican food. Google lc key lime cheesecake and one comes up by George Stella that sounds yummy.

Just Russ 02-24-2013 07:14 PM

I don't think of LC as 'high fat'. The Diet Revolution (1972) book suggested keeping the fat but only the limited amount that was then FDA recommended. I don't see anything high fat that would go into a tacco. Hamburger? Cheese? People will put these in anyway. It's not like we're putting butter on it! LOL!! The challenge wil come in the tortillas but you have that under control.

We do skewers in warmer weather... I have nice long ones made by the village blacksmith (re-enacting). They are great on any fire.

NineOhNine 02-24-2013 11:48 PM

I just looked up yellow rice (with turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, butter, and green onion) and I bet you could make a great variation subbing cauliflower. Just serve both. There's a recipe--using basmati--at the Food Network site that I'm going to bookmark.

How about Mexican chocolate cheesecake for dessert?

Mimosa23 02-25-2013 02:53 AM

Just wanted to report back on how my LC food went down on Saturday:

The quiche was a roaring success, had a few people asking me for the recipe.
I also made a herb and garlic dip for raw veggies, mini spicy meatballs and a cheese platter. All was liked very much, and because I served baguette with the cheese as an option, nobody even noticed it was all LC apart from the bread.

I made chocolate brownies (Cleochatra's recipe) for dessert and served that with a mascarpone cream where I mixed in raspberries and some vanilla. Again, it was a success and my guests never even noticed it wasn't 'regular' cake, LOL!

xxx