LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ItsToni
Stats: 5'9" - started@223/199/160
WOE: Atkins (over & over)
Start Date: October 21, 2005
Calling all 40-ish somethings...help?

2005...that is when I first started this site. I dropped 50 lbs on Atkins...it was so easy. Since then, I have been up, down, up, down...sometimes due to bad eating, sometimes due to back problems, etc. I've had more than my share of going on and off plan in the past some-odd years.

My problem now...I've gained 25 lbs. of what I lost, and am pretty much miserable again. I'll be 40 this year, and am afraid that with going on and off plan so many times, along with getting older...Atkins will no longer work. I haven't had much luck over the past year. Nothing else seems to work either and low carb is the only diet where I at least don't feel hungry.

I already eat a 95% organic and natural diet. No soda, no fast food, no processed food. No one in my family has even been sick since 2009...I attribute it to good eating. Although, the extra weight is really getting me down and making me feel depressed (not to mention the heartburn and back ache is back.)

I was just wondering if anyone else seemed to be in my boat and my age bracket? Did you happen to break out of it? Kind of feeling hopeless. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I'd made a few "false starts" of getting back on Atkins without much luck...

#1.) Re-read the book. No matter how well you know what it says, do this anyway. (It DOES make a difference.)

#2.) Fats. I found that when I tried to come back, before, I was generally not eating enough fat. Now that I'm older, I seem to need more fat to get "rolling" than I did 10 years ago.

#3.) Realistic Goals. The first time I did so great on Atkins, I lost 40 lbs in 6 months. Then, when I started this last time, I was being frustrated that I'd only lost around 20 lbs (total) in my first 3 months. (If you do a little math, there, you'll see I was on the same "schedule" as the first time around!) The difficulty is I had this memory of fast, dramatic loss, and it didn't SEEM to be as fast... when in reality, it was. "Fast" is still over the course of many months, after all.

Track your weight. Weigh often, and chart it. Don't worry about blips on the chart -- it WILL go up as well as down. But when you stand back and squinch your eyes, you'll see the downward trend, which is what you're aiming for.

Track your foods, at least initially, till you find the things that push you over the edge into weight-loss. (For me? I could NOT start losing again until I added nuts in... What can I say, I'm weird.)

Keep your fat intake up.

Don't give up.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
I'd made a few "false starts" of getting back on Atkins without much luck...

#1.) Re-read the book. No matter how well you know what it says, do this anyway. (It DOES make a difference.)

#2.) Fats. I found that when I tried to come back, before, I was generally not eating enough fat. Now that I'm older, I seem to need more fat to get "rolling" than I did 10 years ago.

#3.) Realistic Goals. The first time I did so great on Atkins, I lost 40 lbs in 6 months. Then, when I started this last time, I was being frustrated that I'd only lost around 20 lbs (total) in my first 3 months. (If you do a little math, there, you'll see I was on the same "schedule" as the first time around!) The difficulty is I had this memory of fast, dramatic loss, and it didn't SEEM to be as fast... when in reality, it was. "Fast" is still over the course of many months, after all.

Track your weight. Weigh often, and chart it. Don't worry about blips on the chart -- it WILL go up as well as down. But when you stand back and squinch your eyes, you'll see the downward trend, which is what you're aiming for.

Track your foods, at least initially, till you find the things that push you over the edge into weight-loss. (For me? I could NOT start losing again until I added nuts in... What can I say, I'm weird.)

Keep your fat intake up.

Don't give up.
I think that women have more and more difficulty losing weight as they get older, due to hormonal changes. So regardless of whether you were doing Atkins for the 1st time or the 20th, you'd probably find it harder and slower to lose weight now than was the case when you were younger. You may need to be more disciplined in staying on plan and possibly watch calories as well as carbs now. But that doesn't mean it won't work eventually, especially following the good advice that Literate Griffin gave earlier.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, just before I started up this last time, I had someone tell me, "Oh, it only works the first time. You won't lose weight that way again."

As evidence to the contrary, I offer the shorts that fall off my hips. (Before I went back on Atkins, they didn't fasten anymore.)

YES, it's harder. And decling estrogen plays a role. (SEE: Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat) BUT, we can still do it.

You just may find you need to be stricter than you were in the past.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you! That's very encouraging! I HAVE noticed that when I up the fat, I feel that "hot flash burn" quicker than if I'm not eating as much. I also think I need to pay close attention to eating regularly. Generally, I am not a big eater as it is. Once I get on low carb, sometimes I'll seriously just forget to eat. Like tonight...I'm not even hungry (the same happened last night.) I hate forcing food down, but I think not eating enough probably doesn't help either.
ItsToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

To be honest, that's kind of how I have felt...that I had that one golden shot and now? Nothing. LOL But I try to understand things on a physical level...and something HAS to work or the body would not be able to function. More than anything right now, I want to get my weight loss going. I'm so looking forward to feeling like my "old self" again. As you know, gaining weight plays havoc on your mental and physical self...I'm ready to be in that "good place" as soon as possible!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Go wheat-free if you haven't already.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Are you starting over with a strict induction...you may be able to tolerate less carbs than before. My advice would be like literate said re read the book and do a strict 2 week induction...it's only 2 weeks and what have you got to lose but the weight.
Good luck as I am in my late 40's and I keep going up and down a few pounds myself.

After you get started the right way the great people here may be able to help if you are still having trouble... maybe do the 2 weeks and post your menus so we can look them over.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Oh yea...the wheat free thing reddarin suggested really makes a difference...i have cut back as much as possible...I don't worry about trace amounts, and try to eat as close to gluten free as possible.

Read wheat belly...it will really open your eyes.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I also had great success with this WOE about a dozen years ago and lost 30 lbs in 2 months. However, this time it is certainly slower and I have had to be a lot more strict with my carb and fat levels. I have also had to increase my exercise. It has been a little harder this time, but it is certainly worth it and it is even more important as we get older. Keep us posted on your progress!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I'm on my third day of induction and doing well. Still a little sluggish feeling, but no appetite and already feel less bloated. I'm going to try really hard to keep track of everything in order to review it when needed. I have useda tracker in the past. Someone once gave me a formula on percentages of carbs, proteins & fats...also they said you should multiply your goal weight by 10 and that should be the calorie level. Does anyone know the correct numbers on this? I did follow those percentages the first time and it seemed to work...but who knows?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsToni View Post
Once I get on low carb, sometimes I'll seriously just forget to eat.
Even BEFORE re-starting Atkins this time, I'd forget to eat. (My husband would scold me for it.) I'd feed the kids, but forget to eat myself.

Things like (LC) cheesecake and fat-bombs really help me here. I can consume something high-fat and extremely palatable quickly... meaning in a few bites. At one point, I was suffering from SEVERE lack of hunger and had stalled for several weeks. I made my first cheesecake, and had a slice at every mealtime (with other food or without it), and POOF! My stall broke. It's been my "go-to fix" every since. ~chuckles~

Several nights this week, I just "haven't had the energy" to eat dinner. (I'm having sleep issues, and needed to crash.) BUT, I needed food... so Hubby would bring me a fat-bomb and some water.

It makes a difference.

I swear to you it will work. You may need to tweak things a bit, this time around! But it WILL work. And in six months you'll feel ten years younger. (I do!)
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I'm 43, last time I did LC I was 38. This time around has been easier. I think I was in the frame of mind to make a change! Not just to lose weight But to change my health. I have Hypothyroid and fibromylgia and had a hysterectomy Dec 27th. I have had 3 months in a row of up and down losing and gaining the same 1-2 lbs! It gets So frustrating But I eat this way because I feel better even when i'm not losing. My IBS is way better, heartburn is way better etc.

"Normal" BMI 8/30/13!
45 Lbs Lost! 10/07/12
50 Lbs Lost 10/23/12!
55 lbs lost 1/24/13!
60 Lbs Gone 6/20/13
*Quit Smoking Jan 5th 2014!!*
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillyme
Stats: 328/174.2/150
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 now hHCG
Start Date: Jan 2/07- restart Sept 2010
In 2007 i lost 70 pounds in 6-7 months easily. For the past couple years its been very slow going. I lost 40 pounds over the 2 years and then for 4 months gained back 7 when i quit smoking and could never lose it again. I decided I had to try something different and after a LOT of reserch tried hHCG. It got me losing again. Yes its tough. To me it was worth it! I am now on a 6 week maintenance period (no sugar or starch) and then I will be back on it and losing again! If its something you think you might be interested in, do your research. I fluffed it off when i first heard about it and i shouldn't have
sillyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/126/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 2011
I'm 41 and have been able to get below my goal weight!! LC has been the only thing that has ever really worked for me. I had to be very strict at first and commit to get through the Atkins "flu". That is what has always stopped me in the past because I felt SOOO bad. But once the flu was over, the appetite was suppressed. I have found that I can't eat large amounts of food, that calories do affect my weight.

Also, I couldn't exercise at first because of lack of energy and it would increase my hunger. So for a while I just concentrated on my eating. I added cardio in once I was around 10-15 pounds from goal.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks to all of you who have shared your stories! So glad to hear you are all having success in this age bracket. I'm going to try and keep going strong through this induction. I'm really not having a hard time...I guess it's many years of practice. lol I just get frustrated when I try so hard and nothing happens. I know people say it's not all about weight loss...but for me it is because along with weight loss comes less swelling, less back pain, less heartburn and all around better mental state. It's not like I'm looking at a couple of vanity pounds...I've got some ground to cover!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
I'm 42 and losing well...this is FAR(just how far,I wont say) from my golden shot....and I've lost around 17lbs in 25 days.I had myself convinced I couldnt lose...lolI decided id give it one last shot and im doing great and I FEEL so good and thats whats most important
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberli33 View Post
I'm 42 and losing well...this is FAR(just how far,I wont say) from my golden shot....and I've lost around 17lbs in 25 days.I had myself convinced I couldnt lose...lolI decided id give it one last shot and im doing great and I FEEL so good and thats whats most important
Wow! That's great!! I'm hoping my experience follows suit! I'm excited to be somewhat "in control" once again...one day at a time.... If I can just get over this fear that nothing will "work"...it's a scary feeling.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I just wanted to add...

Quote:
I know people say it's not all about weight loss...
This is true. Don't be a slave to the scale. BUY A TAPE MEASURE. Take some baseline measurements NOW -- neck, upper arm, chest (rib-cage, not bust), waist, hips, thigh, and calf. What's important REALLY isn't what your scale says, but what your tape-measure says.

As your health improves, you are likely to become more active. (Mind you -- Oct 2011 I was pretty much bed-ridden!!) This leads -- slowly but surely -- to improved muscle tone. SOMETIMES this leads to the scale staying the same (or even going up)... but those measurements go down. And movement becomes easier, because you've got more muscle carrying less fat.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I'm 52 and have been eating clean / low carb since October 1999 and exercise regularly. Everything was fine until I hit 50 and what had worked for so many years suddenly didn't work any more. My weight was creeping up and I wasn't doing anything differently. Menopause and peri menopause really screw things up. I started using an on-line calorie and fitness tracker, and portion control - and have stayed low carb. My body reacts to carbs even worse now. Hope that helps. Get the weight off at 40 because its even harder over 50!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I'm 43 and I was afraid of dieting for years, because I knew as soon as I stopped I would regain it all (and usualy more). My highest weight ever was 327 when I was pregnant (age 32) and again a couple years later when I switched up some medication. But I hovered within 10 lbs. or so of 300 for a long time in my 30's and early 40's. Three months ago DH was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and it really clicked - we need to eat LC for health reasons, not because of the way we look. Something inside has shifted and am truly committeed to this WOE like I never have been on any diet before. I have been steadily losing over 10 lbs. a month and just hit the 35 lb. mark this week. I have no doubts this WOE is the right way for any carb sensitive or insulin resistant people no matter what their age, and it works.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I'm 43 and I was afraid of dieting for years, because I knew as soon as I stopped I would regain it all (and usualy more). My highest weight ever was 327 when I was pregnant (age 32) and again a couple years later when I switched up some medication. But I hovered within 10 lbs. or so of 300 for a long time in my 30's and early 40's. Three months ago DH was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and it really clicked - we need to eat LC for health reasons, not because of the way we look. Something inside has shifted and am truly committeed to this WOE like I never have been on any diet before. I have been steadily losing over 10 lbs. a month and just hit the 35 lb. mark this week. I have no doubts this WOE is the right way for any carb sensitive or insulin resistant people no matter what their age, and it works.
Great post Misti
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
I'm 53 and this is my second time losing a significant amount of weight by low carbing. TBH, I've found it easier this time than I did the first time because I have more knowledge to inform my food choices. I'm also more aware of the pitfalls, having fallen out of maintenance after 3 years and regaining everything! The weight has come off at about the same rate (60lbs since August), but this time I'm not really in a hurry to reach goal, I'm just seeing it as inevitable because this way of eating works (for me, at least) and I'm intending it to be a long term lifestyle change - so will be sticking to it whether or not the last few pounds fall off sooner or later.

I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey, and don't assume that it's going to be harder because you're older - that's not always the case!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Same boat here. Just turned 40 and having a heck of a time. Mostly it's due to my own motivational problems, but nonetheless, I'm with ya! Good advice in this thread.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reta
Stats: 182.8 / 177.4 / 125
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Every morning
Yes, this thread has been very helpful.
Reta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Even though the plan is the same, things definitely do change from age 32 to age 39. I used to get so much energy on Atkins, I could literally feel the fat burning away like a hot flash. My very first time around, I lost 10 lbs the first week of induction and 4 lbs. the second week. This many years later, I'm on day four with no change. LOL It's not surprising. It's just that there are definite changes that happen.

I'm really not in any hurry to lose weight either. It's truly a different mindset now. I mean...yes, I'm in a hurry to get rid of the back pain. I've had pain for years and when I lost that large amount of weight before, it was completely gone. I'm also in a hurry to be comfortable in clothing...I dread getting dressed but it makes me so uncomfortable in my skin...and shopping for clothing is one of my worst nightmares...It typically results in tears, so I don't do it.

I do plan on starting some exercise once the weather breaks. I'd like to lose a few lbs before then to help take the load off of my back. So, hopefully Spring will arrive more sooner than later
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Toni,

Do you have access (or could you GET access) to an indoor pool?

One of the first ways I started moving again -- when I was still using a cane to get around -- was in a Senior's Water Aerobics class. It's low-impact on all your joints (and what's your back, but one long series of joints?) AND actively takes the pressure off your back. Simply being in the water and moving a little for an hour did wonders for my pain-levels and mobility.

A lot of gyms (and the YMCA) have indoor heated pools... many of them also have "Therapy pools" where the water is kept over 90 that feel WONDERFUL. A half hour walking back and forth in one of those can make a HUGE difference!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I'm going to throw out something a little different. Have you had your hormones tested? I was completely done with menopause at 45. I was exhausted, felt like my face had aged 10 years and body composition was changing. I had my hormones tested and they were rock bottom. I started on BHRT (estrogen/progesterone/testosterone/DHEA) and within 4 days, I thought I was on crack, I felt that good. 3 weeks later, I started slowing down, then had to start on thyroid as hormone replacement can suppress thyroid. Fast forward to today (I am 50) my metabolism is probably better than in my 20's, my muscle mass is better than in my 20's and I feel like I did in my 20's although I can't stay till midnight anymore! For me, hormone replacement was the magic bullet. It made any diet more effective. I wasn't fighting my hormones anymore. May I also second food tracking. I use an online tracker and a food scale and moderate carb. I probably eat 1600-1800 calories a day. I think tracking and weighing is critical as it is easy to overeat on a high fat diet....at least I can!

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post

Do you have access (or could you GET access) to an indoor pool?
Unfortunately, no I live in a small town with a tiny little "gym", if you can call it that. The closest is the Lifeplex..but is a 20 min. drive each way...and utterly expensive. I do love walking, and even got into some jogging/running last summer...I just have to wait for the weather to break. For now, I just do what I can to keep moving.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I'm going to throw out something a little different. Have you had your hormones tested? I was completely done with menopause at 45. I was exhausted, felt like my face had aged 10 years and body composition was changing.
This is actually my next step Even at 39, I feel like I may be approaching pre-mature menopause...I'm not sure...but along with the weight, it seems other things are happening as well. I'm going to give the low carb one more try, as being a higher weight also causes some of the same symptoms...so, we'll see. I'm very much a naturalist, so seeing a doctor isn't high on my list. Although, if nothing else works, I'll resort to going