Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Fiber..... Help (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797543-fiber-help.html)

Reta 02-20-2013 12:20 PM

Fiber..... Help

What can I do to keep things moving with LCing? I do add co to my coffee, but I'm afraid thats not enough. Im trying to keep carbs under 25.

thanks

janetsbreeze 02-20-2013 12:37 PM

I rely on a magnesium supplement to get things moving fof me - works much better and easier than any fiber supplement I ever took.

Reta 02-20-2013 12:48 PM

I just remembered, there's a tea that you're supposed to drink at night so you 'move' in the am. I found it at Krogers.

Sunny7 02-20-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reta (Post 16270325)
I just remembered, there's a tea that you're supposed to drink at night so you 'move' in the am. I found it at Krogers.

i think its called "Smoove move tea" and think there is another one also,,but i second the magnesium

clackley 02-20-2013 12:59 PM

Yes, magnesium - I use to use natural calm. I would suggest you begin taking probiotics as a preventative measure too.

Maumie 02-20-2013 01:06 PM

I agree with the magnesium. I'm also on some meds that "clog things up" and for years have taken stool softeners that didn't do much. I started taking magnesium and BOOM, there it went! :notwrthy:

Marvin 02-20-2013 01:07 PM

Magnesium is it for me. I've had to experiment a bit to find the right dosage.

Curious about the probiotics....any particular brand/type/etc.? They also seem relatively expensive.

reddarin 02-20-2013 03:06 PM

Magnesium and eat lots of fat.

Cali girl 02-21-2013 06:14 AM

Hi everyone, I just want to share what I do to keep regular. Every morning I have a cup of kefir and I throw in one tbsp. of chia seeds. They add a little crunch. I do drink a large glass of water about a 1/2 hr. after. I wait the 1/2 hr. so I dont water down the kefir. The chia seeds expand so you need a large glass of water after. Very filling and works every time.

JMacB 02-21-2013 06:22 AM

I was getting leg cramps at night, and so now I take magnesium for that. Added benefit is regularity.

Mimosa23 02-21-2013 06:27 AM

Magnesium before bed, and enough fat in my diet. Also drinking enough.

I am regular as clockwork.

Eating leafy greens with meals (and enough fats) may support regularity too.

Regular exercise may help too.

Reta 02-21-2013 06:41 AM

Thanks for the responses.

How much Magnesium?

Mimosa23 02-21-2013 07:12 AM

I take 400mg tablet every night before I go to sleep. I seem to keep regular with this amount.

It may take some experimenting, and if you are constipated, you may need double that amount or more... Just don't move too far away from your bathroom...

LiterateGriffin 02-21-2013 09:51 AM

CAREFUL with magnesium!

Magnesium is a laxative, but CALCIUM can cause constipation. SO, if your magnesium is coming from a Cal/Mag supplement, you can do yourself more harm than good, upping it for relief! (As I found out the hard way!) If your Magnesium supplement DOESN'T have calcium, then disregard this warning. ;)

Personally, I'd double the CO tomorrow, and then add 3X the next day, etc, till you get results. You kind of have to fiddle with it to find your "dose".

CindyCRNA 02-21-2013 10:03 AM

Oh, you need to try this! 18 grams of fiber in 1 serving!! : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16272153

And i do Mg+ also. 500mg at bedtime.

reddarin 02-21-2013 10:10 AM

I take 800mg. Best to ramp up your dosage slowly or you'll be spending the day in the bathroom.

Google 'magnesium jimmy moore robbins' for a good podcast about this most excellent of supplements.

:)

Casey 02-21-2013 03:30 PM

I use Natural Calm magnesium which is a powder - start with half a teaspoon before bed and then increase to 2 or 3 - split into two or three doses. I use half a tsp am and pm.

Casey 02-21-2013 03:31 PM

Increase until problem is.... Um.... Resolved.... And that's your optimum level.

coffeelover 02-21-2013 03:45 PM

Magnesium for me along with fiber supplements from Costco. I agree about building up the magnesium slowly. I didn't do that, and had to stay home the next day!

svenskamae 02-21-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin (Post 16270378)
Magnesium is it for me. I've had to experiment a bit to find the right dosage.

Curious about the probiotics....any particular brand/type/etc.? They also seem relatively expensive.

You can eat probiotics as well as take probiotic pills. I eat lacto-fermented veggies like kimchi, sauerkraut, cabbage with ginger, etc. from the refrigerated section of my local grocery store (but be aware that heating them destroys the good bacteria). Plain full-fat Greek yogurt with active cultures and other foods (e.g., Cocoyo, a coconut pudding with stevia and probiotics) are other options. I find eating probiotics more satisfying and less expensive than swallowing the pills.

lterry913 02-22-2013 06:52 AM

Just a note to the OP...if you are already constipated and try to resolve the problem with fiber you can make things worse...If increasing fiber you must increase fluids a lot or you will end up getting worse.

Reta 02-22-2013 07:02 AM

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I was not constipated, but had to deal with that my first go round with LC. That's why I am concerned. so, I did 2 - 250 miligrams tablets of magnesium last night and it work just fine. I've also considered more CO. I did fry my chicken breast in it last night, that may have helped as well.

You all are amazing!

trishthedish 02-22-2013 06:27 PM

2 TBLS of flax meal each morning with my breakfast. 4 carbs, 4 grams of fiber. Keeps everything running like clockwork.

I also eat between 1 and 2 cups of veggies each day.

jmc305 02-22-2013 07:40 PM

When I drink a Nutriblast shake consisting of spinach/kale and flax that seems to keep things moving better for me. Probably because of the fiber, I'm guessing.

Just Russ 02-24-2013 03:23 PM

I have used ground flax seed & I have ground my own in a food processor. I switched to psylium caps, with every meal. I got seriously ill when I tried a wheat based fiber.