LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bigblue
Stats: 316/277/275 (by 02/15/14)
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: January 2014
Question for the Atkins Guru.....

I'm back...again!!! After a two month hiatus, Im back focused on LC's....so I did great for the first three months eating ribeyes!!! Unfortunately or fortunately my Faith has me giving up meat for Lent....I know, thats pretty difficult to do when doing atkins, but her's my thoughts...important to note that I am very regimented guy...I can eat the following menu for 40 days without a problem....so im really not looking to change it up much, unless someone feels that I wont drop weight,,,,(I put 7 lbs back on since December....no big deal, have had a ton of stuff going on...life is starting to settle down a bit now)....so here is my menu, can someone [please let me know if this will or wont work.....

Breakast/Lunch egg salad (3-4 eggs, 2 scoops of mayo)
coffee - heavy whipping cream and splenda

Dinner - 10-12 oz of salmon dipped in butter
Salad with blue cheese
2-3 pieces of broccoli....

Will this work??

Btw, i continue to have my bllod checked...cholesterol leverls have dropped 44 points...all numbers, good, bad, total have been 100% positive. Hemoglobin ratio has been perfect. Doctors love it, so do I!!!
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Sure, but it doesn't seem like much food. Having that for a day's meal sometimes is fine, but if you're going to eat it for forty days in a row, I'd think about adding a bit more somewhere, maybe as a snack between the two meals? Is that even 2000 calories?

Glad to hear your health is improving.

Last edited by Ntombi; 02-20-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
BB - looks great to me. I think if you have simply replaced your ribeye with the salmon, you should be good to go!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
It looks fine and like enough calories. But, what about having more vegetables? The funny thing for me with salmon is that I need so much less of it to feel full than with meat.

I am pretty regimented as well. Eggs/bacon/veg for breakfast and a meat with a big salad for dinner. I love salmon but I don't know if I could eat it for 40 days straight.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Might make some alfredo or cheese sauce to pour over the salmon and veggies, for variety... Or make a crustless salmon quiche... (It's reflex for me to mix it up a bit, because my husband WON'T eat like that... though I don't mind, myself!)

Lenten sacrifice is supposed to be a SACRIFICE. I made a similar one, 26 years ago, though I wasn't Aktins at the time. Still, I applaud yours now, understanding what it means.

You can do a lot, getting thru without meat. Sounds like you're on the right track.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
It looks fine and like enough calories. But, what about having more vegetables? The funny thing for me with salmon is that I need so much less of it to feel full than with meat.

I am pretty regimented as well. Eggs/bacon/veg for breakfast and a meat with a big salad for dinner. I love salmon but I don't know if I could eat it for 40 days straight.
That's interesting, and I'm the opposite. I always feel more full with red meat than with seafood or fowl. I lose better too.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
That's interesting, and I'm the opposite. I always feel more full with red meat than with seafood or fowl. I lose better too.
I was surprised by it too when I first noticed it. I cannot stomach meat that has chunks of fat on it (like a steak with fat on the sides) or is too greasy (non-crispy bacon) but I love oily fish and all the fat that comes with it.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Sure, there's no reason why fish, eggs, and dairy shouldn't work for you, unless you have some sort of hidden food intolerance to one of them. Nuts are another protein/fat source you might consider using during Lent. And eating lots of wildcaught fish (especially fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines) is really good for your health, increasing your Omega 3 intake and reducing the likelihood of heart attack and stroke. So you might want to stick with using those food again after Easter is past. Your menu did seem a little low on non-starchy vegetables, to me; maybe add some sauteed greens or a big salad to one of your meals, sometimes.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-20-2013 at 02:15 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
You can't eat meat every day...I am not supposed to eat meat on Fridays. Is there a religion that restricts meat every day during lent? Just curious. I hope that is not too personal a question.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bigblue
Stats: 316/277/275 (by 02/15/14)
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
You can't eat meat every day...I am not supposed to eat meat on Fridays. Is there a religion that restricts meat every day during lent? Just curious. I hope that is not too personal a question.

Not that I know of....my religion says no meat on Friday and ash wed....I like to take it tothe extreme and go the whole40 days. I was a bad kid.lol.
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

lol
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Pre-Vatican II, the rule was "abstinence" (ie: no meat) at all during Lent, and fasting on Fridays.

These days, the rules are much more lax.

I gathered from the OP that this was a voluntary choice, for personal/religious reasons, similar to the one I made when I was 16. (Apparently just after my mother stocked the freezer with meat. ~chuckles~)
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Tada wrote a guideline to low carbing as a vegetarian, that might be helpful.

How To LOWCARB As a Vegetarian (Some Basics for LC Veg in General and Atkins)
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I personally do not eat a lot of meat. Last week, we made tofu and seitan stir fry--seitan is wheat gluten and it tastes like meat, has the right texture... kind of like really tender london broil. However, some brands have higher carbs than others. I think the White Wave brand is the one I use and it has like 1g carbs and 16g protein and very little, if any, fat. I fry it up in olive oil, add sesame oil, and lots of soy sauce and it's very tasty, I could eat that for a few days if not every day! I also cook a ton of white fishes--tilapia, flounder, sole... and I occasionally have tuna. Morningstar Grillers Original are very low carb/high protein and very very tasty, also Boca Italian sausages (meatless). Can you tell I was a vegetarian and low carber for a year?!

For a snack you can try the Atkins bars, but they make me retain water and I think they taste a little nasty.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue View Post
Not that I know of....my religion says no meat on Friday and ash wed....I like to take it tothe extreme and go the whole40 days. I was a bad kid.lol.
Haha... funny, making up for lost time
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
You could do other seafood too.... shrimp cocktail dipped into mustard sauce, crab legs, scallops, other types of fish, tuna salad, homemade lowcarb crab cakes with remoulade sauce, cioppino (fish stew), lobster!

But yeah, your menu looks great as long as you dont get bored!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution talks about doing the program as a vegetarian - you're basically doing that plus fish. If you haven't already read the book, you might look over his suggestions.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote