Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: junip3r
Stats: 295/258.2/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart date 1/14/13
How do you fight the need...

to MUNCH on everything in sight?!?

It's that "time of the month" and the old me would be stuffing everything salty, crunchy, creamy, sweet and savory into my mouth! I caught myself grazing last night. And I just couldn't find anything that would be friendly to my diet while satisfying my intense need for comfort food! So what did I do you ask??

...I went to bed.

Now to back up a bit, when I started this WOE I cleared out my fridge and pantry with everything that might tempt me in to failure. Aside from a few lunch snacks for my daughter (Goldfish, Ritz Crackers, Wheat Bread...etc) My house is CLEAN! But last night I'd swear those fishies were scared crazy at the sight of my ravenous self.

In the end I decided to spare their little fishy lives... and the only thing I could do to stop myself from breaking into my daughters 6 month old halloween candy she has "hidden" in her bedroom was to simply go to bed and sleep it off!

I woke up this morning feeling quite triumphant! Down 1lb and no guilt.

I haven't had a whole lot of cravings in the past 5 weeks...sure there are things that I WANT to eat. But I know that a moment on my lips, would equal a week of damage repair! Sooo... not worth it!

So how to you guys manage your cravings? I'd sure like to know...

And for you ladies- When it's that time of the month do you tend to gain water weight? I've been kinda stuck for a couple of days. I don't feel bloated but the only thing I can think of is PMS.
junip3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
No answers, but same problem.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Eat something that is on plan, but a bit decadent, or eat something that is on plan and doesn't make you want any more food. Hard boiled eggs are the latter for me: if I eat a couple of hard boiled eggs with mayo or blue cheese dressing, I'm not in the mood for any more food.

But you can also have something like pork rind nachos, or bacon with guacamole (use the bacon as the "chips." Or make cheese chips and have them with some sort of dip, or have a few fat bombs, if you need sweet. I like making salami chips and using them to eat my really decadent tuna salad. It's easy to overdo, but it's all on plan.

Mine isn't related to TOM, but I have snacky days every so often.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I always gain or stall just before, during and for almost a week after TOM - I also appear to be doing that during ovulation as well - but only for about three days then. It kind of sucks to be a girl - because my DH eats far more, and about double the carbs I do - but he's just melting away - with nary a pause in his very consistent weight loss.

As far as the munchy monster goes - I have had that trouble when I'm not on LC - but so far (knock on wood) I haven't struggled with that. In the past it was just a raging need for chocolate - so I guess if that pops up again, I'll try a chocolate protein shake or maybe a VERY limited amount of sugar free candy.

Actually - a good protein shake might be a great idea for this. If you make it really cold, you have to drink it slowly and maybe you'll find that satisfies you? Here is a recipe for a protein shake that, to me, tastes a bit like a Frosty from Wendy's:

1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2 tbl hershey dark cocoa powder
3 tbl heavy cream
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
8-10 ice cubs (regular square ones)
Enough water to make it move in the blender (about 1/2-3/4 cup)
*splenda or other sweetener if needed.

The recipe was posted a few years ago by LowCarbLea - I start with this as my base and tweak it as needed to taste.
4th mini goal - 275 lbs
5th mini goal - weighing less than my husband

Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
To satisfy the munchies, I usually go for celery with or without dip or pepperoni chips.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I try to eat just like any other day. Ever since I started not giving myself permission to act differently, I've found that periods are a lot easier.

My solution is not to give into cravings, even with lc foods, because once I start eating I'm more likely to keep eating just because. It's my own thoughts that are the problem, not food, so food isn't the solution either.

I make sure to eat extra nutritiously though- like wild salmon with a big salad with evoo as dressing.

I do go to sleep early and that always helps. No eating plus the extra sleep makes me feel so much better.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
In the beginning I would go to bed early to get away from the temptation. I have managed to severely reduce my munchies by getting out of the habit of snacking. I eat either once or twice a day now with no snacks at all. And oddly enough, I really don't think about grabbing a bite here or there. I used to either be eating or thinking about food ALL THE TIME, so it feels pretty liberating to not be thinking about it.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I try to remind myself of THIS:[thanks, nolcjunk]

"It's my own thoughts that are the problem, not food, so food isn't the solution either."

I never eat at bedtime, but recently I began 'wanting' a snack. I could have had something, but I realized that 1) I didn't really need any more food; 2) I would be developing a 'habit' of eating at bedtime, and that's the worst danger.

Both of those thoughts conquered the 'craving.' It really is a mind game.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /218.5/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
9 years ago I was on Atkins, and sailing along beautifully. And I could plot my TOM by the little upward "blip" on my weight-graph.

In fact, that's how I realized I was pregnant: When the "blip" didn't show.

As for "cravings"... What kind?

I've been craving salt a lot, lately. So how do I handle it? I GIVE IN!! (Been snacking on seasoned seaweed today -- it's yummy, salty, and I can eat it pretty much guilt-free.) I've also used salted nuts to feed this craving, but the seaweed is less "risky" because it's fewer carbs/calories. And I'm not really HUNGRY when I want salt, so it's just a better fit.

When I REALLY "need" sweets, I'll make some.

I do a (LC) cheesecake that's really amazing. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ion-label.html)
I'll make "cookies" (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...tein-bars.html)
Or I'll make something with chocolate. Sometimes that's stirring a spoon of unsweetened baking cocoa into my coffee. Sometimes, it's a bit more. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cakes-win.html)

I also know that a dill pickle will often "cure" a sweet-craving, as will upping my dosage of Vitamin C.

Also, I like to keep fat-bombs on hand. I make mine salty, not sweet. (And the only sweetener I ever use is Stevia.)

I've noticed that on days where I'm out all day, I can have a bulletproof coffee (or two) in the morning, go kick my own butt at the gym, and be out and about until dinner time with nothing else passing my lips but water and some seaweed-snacks that happened to be in the car. (This has happened multiple times.) On days when I'm HOME, I can find the urge to walk into the kitchen for a bit to be overwhelming.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
I make cheesecake filling and then I plop a glob of my favorite jello on top.
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberli33 View Post
I make cheesecake filling and then I plop a glob of my favorite jello on top.
I kinda like the cream cheese stirred into the jello, lime, with some sour cream in there too.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chinahopes
Stats: 176/170/150
WOE: < 20 net carbs
Start Date: 2/15/13
There are definitely ways to eat LC and still feel like you're indulging. Last night, I mixed 2 tbsp of natural organic peanut butter with 1 tbsp of sf cherry preserves and about 10 almonds. I was still under 20 net carbs by the time I went to bed.

I also find that using the Keto sticks helps me. I've been in Ketosis for 5 days and knowing that I will check it in the morning helps to keep me accountable throughout the day.

Good luck!

Last edited by chinahopes; 02-21-2013 at 10:27 AM..
chinahopes is offline   Reply With Quote