Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Pork Rinds (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797515-pork-rinds.html)

focus83 02-20-2013 08:00 AM

Pork Rinds

Do you limit how much you have? i love them :love:

reddarin 02-20-2013 08:04 AM

I enjoy them but I am real careful not to eat too much of them. Super high calorie and protein.

:)

LowCarbine 02-20-2013 08:06 AM

If I open a bag I'll finish it in one sitting. I quit buying them for this reason. I'm never hungry enough to snack, especially when everything in my apartment takes more than 5 minutes to prepare. I like to make nachos out of pork rinds though.

Jaded62 02-20-2013 09:45 AM

I just keep in mind how much sodium they have and try to limit them to a few at a time.If you dip them in ranch they are great and more filling.This way you don`t need as many. HTH.

Demonica 02-20-2013 09:51 AM

I like to snack on them when I want something crunchy. I don't eat a whole lot though. Don't need to. Just enough to take the crunch monster away and I'm good.

junip3r 02-20-2013 10:14 AM

Are pork rinds an aquired taste? I just can't seem to get on board. I've only tried them with Salsa...and all I can taste is that Fatty Porky flavor.

Should I keep trying?

Gibbs 02-20-2013 10:18 AM

Once the bag opens, it's all over! I will eat the whole thing in 1 day.

reddarin 02-20-2013 10:25 AM

Try the BBQ flavored ones.

chinahopes 02-20-2013 10:35 AM

I just bought the BBQ ones. I only ate one though because I'm having a hard time getting over exactly what they are. I'm planning on using them as a coating on porkchops later on in the week though...

Sunny7 02-20-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinahopes (Post 16269999)
I just bought the BBQ ones. I only ate one though because I'm having a hard time getting over exactly what they are. I'm planning on using them as a coating on porkchops later on in the week though...

i love them with a smear of cream cheese on for a snack, but i also grind them up and keep in the freezer for coating chicken, then that way i can't grab in the bag all the time----they are ground up----i still have to try them on the pork chops, bet they are good----

Maumie 02-20-2013 01:03 PM

So many people love them, I just can't get past the smell:o

janetsbreeze 02-20-2013 01:38 PM

best thing ever to dip into french onion dip!

shelby'snana 02-20-2013 03:11 PM

I buy the spicy ones and dip them in sour cream mixed with garlic and onion powder. I usually can snack 3-4 times out of one bag :) So about 1 bag every week or so. Yummy !

Ntombi 02-20-2013 03:31 PM

I grew up eating them sometimes, so it wasn't a big switch for me. I don't eat them a lot, but I sometimes get a hankering for a chip-like snack, and they do the job. Every once in a while, I'll eat them with tuna salad as the dip, and I also mix them 50/50 with Parmesan cheese for a crust when I want crunchy oven-friend chicken.

drjlocarb 02-20-2013 04:20 PM

I have always wondered about how to include them in my nutritional content. They are NOT a complete protein. Do you really include them as your protein for the day? I don't think that is the way to do it. They should not go towards your ptotein for the day. Yes or no?

debkeversole 02-20-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny7 (Post 16270352)
i love them with a smear of cream cheese on for a snack, but i also grind them up and keep in the freezer for coating chicken, then that way i can't grab in the bag all the time----they are ground up----i still have to try them on the pork chops, bet they are good----

:goodpost: LOVE them! too much! lol with the sodium in them i always drink extra water too!

Casey 02-20-2013 06:15 PM

Pork rinds are great for "breading" chicken or pork chops. And also as filler in meatloaf - instead of bread or oatmeal.

rubidoux 02-20-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16270718)
I have always wondered about how to include them in my nutritional content. They are NOT a complete protein. Do you really include them as your protein for the day? I don't think that is the way to do it. They should not go towards your ptotein for the day. Yes or no?

Are they really not a complete protein??? I am very surprised by that. I though all animal proteins were.

Anyhow... if you're limiting your protein, you kinda need to count it, I think. Otherwise you've eaten more than your share of protein. Plus, if you have anything else that is a complete protein with it, then you've got a complete protein, kwim?

drjlocarb 02-20-2013 07:19 PM

On my package it says, in the nutritional panel, that it is NOT a complete source of protein. :dunno:

synger 02-21-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16271048)
On my package it says, in the nutritional panel, that it is NOT a complete source of protein. :dunno:

This is something I found on a bodybuilding forum, where they were discussing the same issue:

Quote:

The type of protein in pork skins is called collagen, the same substance found in hair, fingernails, and horsehooves. Its bio-availability is almost non-existent, hence the statement on the package. People in survival situations (the Donner party, etc.) have attempted to use leather as a food source, with unfortunate results.
I use them for breading or for dipping (I make egg salad or tuna salad a lot, and use them for scooping), but I don't really count them as high protein. Just low-carb.

tea cup 02-21-2013 01:56 PM

I love pork rinds too. I like them with tuna or egg salad or peanut butter smeared on top. Also makes great breading for fried meats. Also filler for meatloaf.
But this is going to sound very weird, but hey, I honestly like this. A couple of teaspoons of no sugar added ice cream on a pork rind is delicious. And the crunch is just like an ice cream cone.

rubidoux 02-21-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synger (Post 16271539)
This is something I found on a bodybuilding forum, where they were discussing the same issue:

That is so interesting (I mean the part that didn't come through in my quote :confused: )! And it makes perfect sense. I guess it probably shouldn't be counted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tea cup (Post 16272698)
I love pork rinds too. I like them with tuna or egg salad or peanut butter smeared on top. Also makes great breading for fried meats. Also filler for meatloaf.
But this is going to sound very weird, but hey, I honestly like this. A couple of teaspoons of no sugar added ice cream on a pork rind is delicious. And the crunch is just like an ice cream cone.

I think I may have to pick some up today! I'm having tuna tonight and I bet that would be good! I get the ice cream thing, too, sweet and salty, yumm.

Does anyone know how to make cinnamon pork rinds? I'm tempted to brush them with cinnamon/butter/splenda and then toast them for a few minutes like cinnamon toast. Probably better saved for a special treat, though.

GAVIV 02-21-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16272724)
That is so interesting (I mean the part that didn't come through in my quote :confused: )! And it makes perfect sense. I guess it probably shouldn't be counted.

I think I may have to pick some up today! I'm having tuna tonight and I bet that would be good! I get the ice cream thing, too, sweet and salty, yumm.

Does anyone know how to make cinnamon pork rinds? I'm tempted to brush them with cinnamon/butter/splenda and then toast them for a few minutes like cinnamon toast. Probably better saved for a special treat, though.

This is beyond good! And can be addicting. I used to melt butter and then pour over pork rinds in a zip loc and then pour cinnamon and splenda (powder form) in and shake. So sinful...

Haven't done this in quite some time and now you have me thinking about them :o

Ntombi 02-21-2013 02:58 PM

If you use liquid Splenda, you can add it to the butter, instead. Then you just do the cinnamon alone in the baggie.

GAVIV 02-21-2013 03:02 PM

Wow! I never even thought of that, Ntombi. :eek: What a great point!

clackley 02-21-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16271048)

I did not know this - thank you!

I like pork rinds as a coating for meat. I occasionally use them as a vehicle for dip but has to have enough dip to cover the flavor of the p.r.!

drjlocarb 02-22-2013 07:00 AM

Thanks synrgy.

That was the info I was looking for. So are they a fat source only food?

rubidoux 02-22-2013 10:46 AM

Thanks Greer and Ntombi! Can't wait to give it a try. I'm gonna use kerrygold and call it a health food. :)

Chris 232 02-22-2013 11:20 AM

I tried them twice. took one bite of the plain ones, had to spit it out. Months later bought some flavored ones--same reaction--I just could not eat them, so never again. I could be whatever you are used to. Samething with boiled peanuts--not something I could swallow. Hot peppers are not for me. Don't like liver nor hummus, nor lchick peans and lima beans in general either. Well, I think that is my list of food. I do eat some Polish dishes that others find nasty.
I don't like dark chocolate nor brownines--but will eat them if they are sitting in the kitchen. How dumb is that!
Oh well, off to eat my 2 fried eggs.

astribling 02-22-2013 12:20 PM

I found some at Kroger that have a very mild flavor, and I love the crunch. I eat these when I'm missing chips or crackers and have used them for nachos, or with other dips. However I do find that I can easily eat too many so I always have to weigh out my serving and put the bag away!!