Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Sleep and weight loss

OK, I know there's a connection. I've read about it.

Unfortunately, I've been sleeping like CRAP for several months now, and can't recall exactly WHY sleep is important to weight-loss: what the mechanic there is. (I blame this on sleep-deprivation.)

Can someone point me at some info on this?
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
It is probably related to cortisol levels which go up when your body is stressed.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is a blurb from a site I found:

"While the exact way that losing sleep may contribute to obesity is not understood, studies have shown that lack of sleep affects the parts of the brain that control pleasure eating. It's also been shown that levels of the hormones leptin, ghrelin, cortisol and orexin — all of which are involved in appetite or eating — are affected by lack of sleep, the researchers said."
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbine
Stats: 6'7, 360 down to 280 so far.
WOE: Count Nothing | Low Carb | Cheat Often
When I was 14 years old I conditioned myself to have four hours of sleep at a time because of a video game. I almost never sleep more than five hours now. The only way I will sleep more than five hours is if I wake up next to a girl and force myself not to get out of bed. I have gained weight every year of my life except when I was 17 and played 6 hours of high intensity dance dance revolution every day and this last year which I have lost 80 pounds with low carb and no exercise. I don't think my weight gain or loss has anything to do with sleep and has everything to do with diet and a sedentary lifestyle. If someone sleeps regularly they would seem to be more likely to eat regularly and perhaps exercise regularly. Nocturnal people are less physically active? There are so many more variables to consider other than no sleep = gain weight.
LowCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
OK, I know there's a connection. I've read about it.

Unfortunately, I've been sleeping like CRAP for several months now, and can't recall exactly WHY sleep is important to weight-loss: what the mechanic there is. (I blame this on sleep-deprivation.)

Can someone point me at some info on this?
Google "Need sleep to lose weight". Lots of info there.

I also have a sleep problem - sometimes having an all-nighter without sleep, then nap in the morning. My weight is always up after a crappy night whether it's two hours, four, or all nighters. Fortunately, I have been improving lately. Maybe due to chiropractor or Aleve.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Sharss.

Hormonal connection: Lack of sleep decreases leptin and raises ghrelin. (Leptin, of course, signals satiation, and ghrelin, it seems, signals hunger.)

Some other mechanics involved, too.

The sleep-thing is just killing me in general. I need to find a fix...
Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks, Sharss.

Hormonal connection: Lack of sleep decreases leptin and raises ghrelin. (Leptin, of course, signals satiation, and ghrelin, it seems, signals hunger.)

Some other mechanics involved, too.

The sleep-thing is just killing me in general. I need to find a fix...
I can so sympathize with you LG. May I suggest checking out your Chiropractors - those who use Kinetic type of chiropractic. Those are the best. They work with meridian points and balance the body.

Donna Eden's Energy Medicine isn't the same, but she does trace the meridians so I was quite familiar with my chiropractor, Dr. Allen, when I saw he uses the same meridian points for treatment.

You can google Donna Eden as she has a lot of YouTube videos about her Energy Medicine. Quite impressive as she shows the results of tests on other people in real time.

I think people like us need our body balanced. I hope you can swing finding a good Chiropractor. I was lucky as I had a friend reference. I know it's tough to put money out like this in this economic environment, but your sleep is important.

In the meantime, try ZZZQuil. This isn't a total solution, but at least it'll give you some nights' sleep.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I DO need a good chiro... But that'st not the main problem.

See, we have a programmable thermostat that seems to have developed a mind of its own.

I have certain "needs" in order to sleep.
  • I can't have air blowing on me. (Fans, when used, point out an open window, in the direction of the wind. I'll have another open window to let cool air in.... but WITHOUT it blowing directly on my body.)
  • I MUST have a sheet draped over me. I cannot sleep if I am uncovered.
  • It MUST be cold in the room. If it is over 70, I cannot sleep.

Well, DESPITE being programmed correctly, our thermostat will randomly decide to turn up the heat in the middle of the night (or -- the past two days -- in the middle of the day). I'll wake up at 2am, hear the heater going, and see that the thermostat has randomly decided to crank it up to 70, even though it SHOULD be at 60. I was so exhausted last night I crashed at 8... and then was up for two hours in the middle of the night, trying to cool off. Sadly? Best sleep I've had in a week.

(I also have general insomnia problems... And if something wakes me, I WILL have trouble going back to sleep. But the HEATER is just killing me.)

Something's gotta give, here, I know. And I'm trying to figure out why the thermostat has developed a mind of its own. But I also need rest... badly.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Sleep seems to be very important to me--especially in terms of gaining weight. When I am sleep-deprived--usually because of working too long hours, occasionally due to insomnia--I am sure that my cortisol shoots up, I get crazy hungry, and I make poor food choices and pay no heed to portion control.

Me on adequate sleep: Measure out 2 tablespoons of nut butter to spread on flax crackers. Ignore the chocolate and Atkins bars in the cupboard for months on end. Me on sleep deprivation: Eat the whole jar of nut butter with a spoon, then later polish off anything sweet (good bye, Atkins bars and chocolate). I really have no problems with staying on-plan or with serious cravings for sweets EXCEPT when I am seriously sleep deprived. Much of my weight gain has happened during periods when I was getting very little sleep regularly, and it takes way longer to lose the weight than to put it on, in my case.

So, yes, I think that adequate sleep is hugely important for some of us--especially if we are prone to adrenal fatigue, as I have been.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
Turn the heater off and pile on the blankets!
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

That's just it. The heater's SUPPOSED to be off. It's SET to be off. But it arbitrarily turns itself on.

I can't get rid of it altogether because of the kids. My daughter, especially, is every sensitive to the cold. She needs it warm in the mornings... She's 5, and has no body-mass to speak of. And yes, I WILL willingly sacrifice my health and sanity for her.

We're working on things. ~sigh~ Maybe now that the over-all stress levels are down, it'll get better (at least on the nights when it DOESN'T malfunction).
Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Yes, I DO need a good chiro... But that'st not the main problem.

See, we have a programmable thermostat that seems to have developed a mind of its own.

I have certain "needs" in order to sleep.
  • I can't have air blowing on me. (Fans, when used, point out an open window, in the direction of the wind. I'll have another open window to let cool air in.... but WITHOUT it blowing directly on my body.)
  • I MUST have a sheet draped over me. I cannot sleep if I am uncovered.
  • It MUST be cold in the room. If it is over 70, I cannot sleep.

Well, DESPITE being programmed correctly, our thermostat will randomly decide to turn up the heat in the middle of the night (or -- the past two days -- in the middle of the day). I'll wake up at 2am, hear the heater going, and see that the thermostat has randomly decided to crank it up to 70, even though it SHOULD be at 60. I was so exhausted last night I crashed at 8... and then was up for two hours in the middle of the night, trying to cool off. Sadly? Best sleep I've had in a week.

(I also have general insomnia problems... And if something wakes me, I WILL have trouble going back to sleep. But the HEATER is just killing me.)

Something's gotta give, here, I know. And I'm trying to figure out why the thermostat has developed a mind of its own. But I also need rest... badly.
I could have written this post. My DH calls it "Princess and the Pea syndrome." I can't sleep if there is any light on in the house. I have lots of blankets on the bed and have the vent in my room closed. I close the door at night, so it's about 60 degrees in there. That and Progesterone. I never realized how crappy I was sleeping until I started on it.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
I could have written this post. My DH calls it "Princess and the Pea syndrome." I can't sleep if there is any light on in the house. I have lots of blankets on the bed and have the vent in my room closed. I close the door at night, so it's about 60 degrees in there. That and Progesterone. I never realized how crappy I was sleeping until I started on it.
Good idea about closing the vent. I also turn the heat down at night, and also have a closed vent in the bedroom. Doesn't need full heat in the day as I'm not in there and keeps it cool if the heat does come on even with a lower setting.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patina
Stats: 260/244/155
WOE: Low to Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2013
I had some serious health issues last year including hormones, anemia, surgery and diagnosed with a rare blood disorder to boot. I hit a point where I had been getting about 2-3 hours of sleep over a 4 month period. I was like a walking zombie.

My salvation came from my hematologist. On one visit I told him how horrible I felt due to lack of sleep and he suggested a product called Magnesium Calm. He recommends it for his cancer patients, men and women.

Nothing else I had tried was working so I bought some at the supplement store and let me tell you...it worked like a charm and I have been sleeping great ever since. I swear by the stuff and the upside is everyone can use extra magnesium so no long term side effect risk that I've been able to find.

I've recommended it to friends and even hubby loves the stuff. I honestly don't know where I'd be at this point had the hematologist not told me about it.

Oh! And the other benefit is it has eliminated my night sweats and hot flashes which were contributing to my sleep issue! It's awesome!
Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CarefreeGal
WOE: My own low carb
Start Date: September 2012
Are you spending a lot of time on an IPad or similar device in the evenings? I read (and have found) that to really affect my sleep. The light from it affects cortisol levels and causes fitful sleep. I was awakening every night and having panic-like episodes. If I make a conscious effort not to use any electronic devices a few hours before bedtime, it makes a HUGE difference!

My first post...but I have been lurking on this board for months! I love reading your posts too!
CarefreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefreeGal View Post
Are you spending a lot of time on an IPad or similar device in the evenings? I read (and have found) that to really affect my sleep. The light from it affects cortisol levels and causes fitful sleep. I was awakening every night and having panic-like episodes. If I make a conscious effort not to use any electronic devices a few hours before bedtime, it makes a HUGE difference!

My first post...but I have been lurking on this board for months! I love reading your posts too!
Very interesting! That is an excellent reason to read a real book for a little while before turning out the lights.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina View Post
he suggested a product called Magnesium Calm. He recommends it for his cancer patients, men and women.
OK, just looked this up...

Looks like a powder you take in water?

And they're flavored.

OK... we're on an LC page here.

SOOoooo...which flavor do you recommend as having fewest "fillers" and being least sweet?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarefreeGal View Post

I'll use the comp for a bit when we get home, but no -- I READ when it's time to go to bed.

There've been several nights, lately, where the only way I could sleep was to read myself to sleep with the light still on. And leave it on, because if, say, my husband turned it off, I'd be wide awake instantly.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patina
Stats: 260/244/155
WOE: Low to Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
OK, just looked this up...

Looks like a powder you take in water?

And they're flavored.

OK... we're on an LC page here.

SOOoooo...which flavor do you recommend as having fewest "fillers" and being least sweet?
I use the Raspberry/Lemon flavor. It tastes the best.

All that's in it is:

1. Magnesium Carbonate
2. Citric Acid (no carbs, no nutritional value)
3. Organic flavoring
4. Small amount of Stevia in flavored varieties

Per the label: Contains no yeast, dairy, egg, gluten, soy, wheat, sugar, starch, preservatives or artificial color or flavor. Vegetarian formula. No added fructose.

So with all that said, I can't see any downside to taking it on LC.

Here's some info on Livestrong.com. If you're still concerned just to do some searches on it. I have not yet been able to find any negative information on this product.

All I can tell you is this is the best supplement I have ever used in which I immediately benefitted from in terms of my sleep. The other great thing about is I don't wake up feeling woozy or drugged like you can feel if you take over the counter sleep aids. Oh and another plus....non addictive, unless of course needing to sleep is considered addictive.
Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CarefreeGal
WOE: My own low carb
Start Date: September 2012
Good for you . Taking time to read before bed is great! Hope you find a solution-- there's nothing worse than not getting enough sleep.
CarefreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
Could you possibly be starting to go into peri-menopause? I am in mine right now and my sleep is the pits!
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I KNOW I'm peri-menopausal. This isn't hot-flashes, though -- I've always had to sleep cold. (And I can't have hormones, due to other health issues.)

I've also always been a bit of an insomniac, and have learned that if something works (sleeping on a pool table, or with the light on, or whatever), then I DO it, regardless of what the "sleep experts" say it's doing to me. Cuz "Fight Club"? I could totally relate to the sleep-deprived portion of that!

And I've KNOWN that sleep was important for weight-loss. AND realized that I can't remember the last time I had a good night's sleep. (I'm pretty sure it was October at the latest.)

Thanks for the word about the supplement. I plan to look for it... Though I'm sure you can't blame me for worrying about the dreaded "Modified Food Starch", or chemical-sweeteners! ~chuckles~ And because we're HERE, I know you'll likely have the answers for me when I ask. (So GOOD to be among folks who "get" it!)
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 183.6/177.6/135
WOE: Low Carb JUDDD
Start Date: 9/14/14
Have you tried Melatonin? My 14 yr old ds has been taking this for years. He has adhd/aspergers and its the only thing that can "turn his brain off" when it's bedtime.
Jebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #24
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I agree with the suggestion of taking melatonin.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Magnesium was a super benefit for me in this way as in many others. I had insomnia off and on for most of my life and it got much worse when I hit peri-menopause. (The pattern changed from not being able to fall asleep to waking up in the middle of the night, wide awake.) I just assumed it was the way I was. But when I started taking magnesium for the leg cramps it miraculously went away and I'm sleeping a full 8 hours on most nights!

I started taking the Magnesium Calm and liked it very much. But I had to tweak my dose for a couple of months to get rid of the cramps and found that the pills worked just as well. (It tastes pretty good IMO -- like a sweettart.)

I have noticed that when I've fasted a few times (trying some various IF techniques) I woke up in the middle of the night. It's possible that it's a coincidence but the eating pattern was the only thing that changed so I think it might correlate. There is some discussion on the IF boards about that being a possible side-effect for women.

Anyway, magnesium has brought me so many benefits, from alleviating leg cramps (which I had occasionally even before low carbing), keeping me "regular" and helping me with my lifelong insomnia. I think I was probably lacking in it forever.

Last edited by Rhubarb; 02-23-2013 at 07:58 AM..
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Chronic fatigue comes with my MS. I think the body relates food to energy. I find that when I'm over tired, I crave food more. It is certainly something to be aware of.
I don't find sleep meds to be as useful because it does not necessarily shift one into REM sleep with I believe is most restorative.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/235/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 8/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I agree with the suggestion of taking melatonin.
not to thread jack, but hey old friend....i am glad to see some old faces still around......hiya
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #28
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
not to thread jack, but hey old friend....i am glad to see some old faces still around......hiya
HELLO!! So great to see you - I missed you!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote