Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
Any correlation between LC and increased alcohol use?

I have found that since starting LC that I actually want to drink more alcohol (vodka and soda and lime). I know that alcohol is low carb (vodka at least) and is not a sugar (I am not talking about sugar alcohols as in some foods).

Thoughts?
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I have an addictive personality, so with that being said, I tend to substitute one addiction for another. Maybe the same thing is going on here??
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Alcohol, sugar, and starches that the body treats like sugar seem to be somewhat interchangeable; the author of "Potatoes Not Prozac" makes the point that people with alcohol dependence tend to gravitate toward sugary foods when they stop drinking. So if your body is still craving sugar/carbs, it may be expressing this as a desire for alcohol. I'd suggest staying away from alcohol until LC becomes habitual and cravings drop off.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012

Watch this. Particularly, watch the part where he explains how your body metabolizes fructose and ethanol in exactly the same way.

The point HE is making is that fructose is just as toxic to your body as alcohol. The point YOU should take is that alcohol is just as toxic for your body as sugar... And it seems you're substituting one for the other.

Remember, too, that your liver can EITHER metabolize fat, OR metabolize alcohol. And since alcohol is a poison, it gets rid of that FIRST. It won't do anything else (ie: process fat) until the alcohol is gone. So even if nothing else is true, you won't be losing fat while you're drinking.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbine
Stats: 6'7, 360 down to 280 so far.
WOE: Count Nothing | Low Carb | Cheat Often
My personal experience is that losing weight and being recently single led to a lifestyle with more social drinking. Consuming alcohol on any diet is usually enough to make someone want to drink more alcohol. I think this could be compounded by the fact that we like the results on the scale when we are dehydrated?

I started drinking Everclear 190 proof instead of cheap vodka, because it costs about the same by volume to mix a drink, and the Everclear has even less of a taste. I used to put 3 shots of vodka 100 proof in a tall glass, but now I just put one full shot of Everclear 190. For some reason it takes less alcohol by volume of Everclear, and it hits me faster and makes me feel better. I mix with diet root beer or diet Mountain Dew.

In one recent study, it took just 21 minutes for half a diet cocktail to leave the stomach and reach the small intestine, where most alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream, while the same amount of a nondiet concoction took 36 minutes. “The calories provided by food or a sugary mixer slow the emptying of the stomach, so you get drunk less rapidly,” says Chris Rayner, Ph.D. Food Pairings 101 | RealSimple.com

I have had some strange experiences with alcohol and ketosis. For one, if I drink enough to pass out which is more than three shots of Everclear, I will wake up five hours after I passed out. I then brush my teeth and take acetaminophen with a multivitamin and a whole bottle of water. After a few hours I feel euphoric for the rest of the day and sometimes the next day. Another strange experience was two nights ago, the first night I took raspsberry ketones. I took 100 mg at lunch and had two shots of Everclear after dinner which isn't unusual at all for me. What was unusual... Was the fact that my pedestal fan was staring at me, and it made me really paranoid. I could logically assess this feeling as a crazy feeling at the time and laugh at myself for it, but something about that pedestal fan made me really paranoid. I had a staring contest with it for a while, tried to look away, but it wouldn't stop staring. My friend was with me, and I asked him if he pointed the fan at me or if it was like that since we sat down. I could tell my friend was watching me stare at the fan, and he laughed at me when I told him what was going on. I think I may have had elevated blood pressure which combined with the alcohol caused some sort of episode.

Euphoria = ketosis, pass out drunk on liquor (3.5 shots of Everclear 190 for me) and diet soda, wake up early, cure hangover with acetaminophen and a multivitamin

Paranoia = ketosis, raspberry ketones, and enough liquor that would usually make you drunk (2 shots of Everclear 190 for me)

I realize the negative affects of poisoning your body, but I have a sunny disposition of death and would rather die happy today than sick tomorrow.
LowCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Funny, I have LESS need for alcohol. Ever since I am back on the LC wagon, I seem to have hardly any desire to drink alcohol. I've had some white wine spritzers (white wine with soda water) but that's it, and of those I can count them on two hands since I restarted at the beginning of January.

I have got some really nice vodka and some lemon flavoured mineral water to mix with, but so far I am kinda MEH about the whole idea.

This is coming from a BIG social drinker. I usually had a couple of beers a day after work and on weekends... well... more than just two beers, LOL!

I feel better not drinking so much too. Now, I really will only have one occasional glass of wine socially, but I'm happy to drink a glass of water too. It has to be really nice wine now, and I enjoy every sip of that one glass. After that, drinking another glass just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
Interesting responses... I kind of get the fructose/ethanol connection. I never really thought of myself as a sugar-addict. As I have gotten older, even less so. But I do like ice cream every so often. I will have to do more research on this. Sure don't want to be a skinny alcoholic!!
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Then there is the group that says that one drink a day is actually heart healthy. This is me. I have increased my consumption after being low carb for about 4 1/2 months, I began to have one drink each night. The beginning of this did seem to correlate with the day I read an article that stated that one drink of wine or 1 shot of alcohol seem to promote good heart health. I wish I had kept the reference for the article, because it also did not promot 1 beer. Only the wine and spirits. So what do you do?

Goals met:
199.9 - ONEderland(10/23/12);
180s - (12/08/12)
170s - (1/7/13) (made it back 01/14) (no longer obese)
160s - (3/2/13) 50.2 pounds in 5 1/2 months!
148 - No longer Overweight
"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running." ~ Sarah Condor, Runner/Author
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbine View Post
I have had some strange experiences with alcohol and ketosis. For one, if I drink enough to pass out which is more than three shots of Everclear, I will wake up five hours after I passed out. I then brush my teeth and take acetaminophen with a multivitamin and a whole bottle of water. After a few hours I feel euphoric for the rest of the day and sometimes the next day.
Please be careful taking acetominophen after drinking alcohol. The combo can lead to liver failure pretty quickly.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I've never been a drinker, except in college and even then I didn't really like it, so while I'm not opposed to drinking I just have no desire to do it, and eating LC hasn't changed that. I do think taking a look at Potatoes Not Prozac or other books by the same author might give you some insight. I have three of her books and they are all very good, but stress moving towards a whole grains/no sugar WOE rather than strict low carb.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
NO, can't say that I had any additional cravings for alcohol since going lc.
I think I would be a good person to guage this by because I am a very light drinker.
I stopped beer after going lc but will occasionally, and by that I mean once a month or longer, get a desire for a cocktail (Jamison's and sf ginger ale)
Oddly enough, yesterday was one of those days, and don't you know the scale showed a weight gain!!....
Alcohol is not good for my weight loss. Not just because there is something inherently weight increasing about alcohol, but because I often, especially at a party, eat all the wrong stuff once the booze starts taking effect.
I generally stay away, 'cept for like I said.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the tip about acetaminophen. I read about everything, but I took your warning as a chance to double-take on my previous findings.

"If you drink a lot of alcohol—say, on a Saturday night—and take a normal dose of acetaminophen to deal with the hangover in the morning, you probably are not going to have liver problems. It also seems that heavy drinkers aren’t any more likely than nondrinkers to suffer liver damage from a single large dose of acetaminophen. The trouble starts when regular heavy drinkers take a lot of acetaminophen over a period of time — several days, at least, and maybe longer. (In this context, heavy drinkers are defined as people who regularly have three or more drinks a day.) A drinking habit and a poor diet often go hand in hand. Multiple high doses of acetaminophen are more dangerous for drinkers partly because their glutathione levels tend to be low because they don’t eat well. Drinking also tends to shunt acetaminophen down a metabolic pathway that results in more NAPQI." Overdoing acetaminophen

I have never felt an urge, crave, or need for alcohol. I drink with friends, or for liquid courage, or when I'd rather zone out than be alone with my thoughts.

Last edited by LowCarbine; 02-20-2013 at 09:12 AM..
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I can barely force myself to sip a little wine now, in social situations where it's nice to do so, and at one time I drank a LOT. I find low carbing seems to induce me not to drink. So it's probably personal/psychological.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chinahopes
Stats: 176/170/150
WOE: < 20 net carbs
Start Date: 2/15/13
I have found to opposite to be true for me. Since starting LC I feel so great that I don't want to drink and dull the feelings I have. Also, when I drink I tend to crave junk so I try to stay away from it.
chinahopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieJack View Post
I have found that since starting LC that I actually want to drink more alcohol (vodka and soda and lime). I know that alcohol is low carb (vodka at least) and is not a sugar (I am not talking about sugar alcohols as in some foods).

Thoughts?
The connection could be an addictive personality trait. Carbs cause endorphins to be released when eaten. Taking that fix away may cause cravings for something else, such as alcohol. A good expirment would be to try for the endorphin release caused by intense exercise for example the "runner's high." Might be best way to focus an addictivie personality trait.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Not for me.

The last time I had a drink was at the beginning of November. I've had many occasions when I could have had a drink but I have not felt like it. I've got no desire to drink any alcoholic beverages.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patina
Stats: 260/244/155
WOE: Low to Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2013
I'm staying away from alcohol these days but in the past, the biggest thing I noticed is that I would get really tipsy from smaller amounts of alcohol on low carb vs eating high carb. I was always one of those that could drink a lot of people under the table until I went low carb. I became the perverbial "light weight". That's actually a good thing because less alcohol means less toxicity and wear and tear on the liver.

My other issue with alcohol is that if I over do it, the next day I struggle terribly with cravings for salty, fatty, carby foods.
Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Ketosis and artificial sweeteners both cause a cheaper, quicker, harder drunk. \/

Google: ketosis and alcohol / diet soda and alcohol
Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patina
Stats: 260/244/155
WOE: Low to Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbine View Post
Ketosis and artificial sweeteners both cause a cheaper, quicker, harder drunk. /

Google: ketosis and alcohol / diet soda and alcohol
Good to know! I never check to see if I'm in ketosis so I never made the connection between the two.
Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
I've had less desire for alcohol since restarting low carb. The last drink I had was 3 or 4 weeks ago.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Funny you posted this because about three months ago when I was being really, really good, I craved and I mean craved a Bloody Mary almost every nite. Now, I don't drink. I maybe have a Margarita about once, yes once, a year.....I just couldn't explain it. The funny thing is until then I had never even tasted one...then it dawned on me it wasn't the booze in it, it was the actual taste of the tomato and celery I was craving. I just made virgin ones after that and it went away! Go figure!