Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Low Carb seaweed snack? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797502-low-carb-seaweed-snack.html)

daisyHair 02-20-2013 05:27 AM

Low Carb seaweed snack?

I have been tearing up a little nori sheet and adding it to my scrambled eggs in the AM and am convinced I have FINALLY found the answer to my ongoing electrolyte issues which some of you "old timers" here know have been the reason I have had such a hard time staying VLC. I am excited and feel very incouraged. Now I am looking for a munchy snack I can take with me that is still low Carb. So many I have found have sugars. Any suggestions?

cfine 02-20-2013 07:22 AM

Since you mentioned nori sheets, I buy seaweed chips that have a little crunch. I buy them in bulk online. Some people don't like them because they have a slight fishy taste, but I think they taste great. I also always keep nuts in my purse. I have recently found Quest Bars too. Since they have so much protein in them, and I have to moderate my protein to lose weight, I break them up into thirds and only have one at a time. These stay in my purse as well :)

LiterateGriffin 02-20-2013 07:29 AM

Funny you should say this... I'm actually sitting here feeding my "munchies" with some "roasted, seasoned seaweed" -- basically seasoned nori.

Check the ingredients -- Japanese Nori is often (usually) sweetened a little, but Korean-style isn't. What I'm eating is seasoned with sesame oil and sea salt.

I LOVE seaweed as a snack. At Costco or the local Asian-mart I can find it pre-sliced in little snack-sized packages... Each one has around 20 pieces cut to roughly 2"x3".

The one thing I have to be careful of is my kids. Oddly enough, once kids actually try it, a lot of them get "addicted". While it's great for their health, it really sucks for me when they "steal" my snack! ;)

Mimosa23 02-20-2013 07:33 AM

Funny you mentioned this. I use nori flakes in my salads. I take about a TB a day. The flakes are just dried nori, nothing else added. It gives a nice salty vegetable note, and I don't think it tastes fishy either.

I take pork rinds as a munchy snack. Or nuts. I pre-portion them, otherwise I overeat them. I also sometimes make parmesan cheese crackers (just put little heaps of fresh grated parmesan cheese on a silicon baking sheet, pop in oven under the grill until melted and bubbly, remove and leave to cool. They are nice an crispy and keep well in a tupperware container).

daisyHair 02-20-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16269463)
Funny you should say this... I'm actually sitting here feeding my "munchies" with some "roasted, seasoned seaweed" -- basically seasoned nori.

Check the ingredients -- Japanese Nori is often (usually) sweetened a little, but Korean-style isn't. What I'm eating is seasoned with sesame oil and sea salt.

I LOVE seaweed as a snack. At Costco or the local Asian-mart I can find it pre-sliced in little snack-sized packages... Each one has around 20 pieces cut to roughly 2"x3".

The one thing I have to be careful of is my kids. Oddly enough, once kids actually try it, a lot of them get "addicted". While it's great for their health, it really sucks for me when they "steal" my snack! ;)

Hey FL neighbor! My sis lives on Amelia Island just North of you.
I am running into all of them having some type of sugar.. even "good natural" sugar is not for me.

I've had such issues with electrolyte loss and low blood pressure (EVERY time I go thru this!).. I've have vagal nerve fainting occasionally and Dr. said it's because of electrolyte and BP issues.. the seaweed is SO good for this and I actually like the taste. I am convinced that when you NEED salt and minerals it tastes good.

daisyHair 02-20-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16269470)
Funny you mentioned this. I use nori flakes in my salads. I take about a TB a day. The flakes are just dried nori, nothing else added. It gives a nice salty vegetable note, and I don't think it tastes fishy either.

I take pork rinds as a munchy snack. Or nuts. I pre-portion them, otherwise I overeat them. I also sometimes make parmesan cheese crackers (just put little heaps of fresh grated parmesan cheese on a silicon baking sheet, pop in oven under the grill until melted and bubbly, remove and leave to cool. They are nice an crispy and keep well in a tupperware container).

I keep kelp flakes in the cabinet I add to soup.. when I remember it..
I used to love pork rinds.. now they urk me for some reason! I used to eat them with cream cheese with Tabasco added.

I LOVE parm crackers.. I do them in the micro.. I also buy swiss cheese and do it with that.. they are SO addictive!

Mimosa23 02-20-2013 07:51 AM

Yes, the cheese crackers are addictive! I try not to make them too often, cause when they are there, they HAVE to get eaten, LOL!

svenskamae 02-20-2013 07:58 AM

I go to an Asian grocery store and buy 6-pack packages of seaweed snacks with no added MSG; the Korean ones that I buy don't have added sugar. If there's an Asian grocery store in your area, stop by and look for the seaweed snacks there.

Another portable snack is pepperoni slices microwaved for 1 minute on paper towels. They are nice and crispy, and I like them cold as well as hot.

Mimosa23 02-20-2013 08:00 AM

Also, if you have electrolyte issues, you may want to use unbleached, unrefined seasalt. This really helps too. It also doesn't taste as salty, so you can actually use more...

millergirl1976 02-20-2013 10:34 AM

Trader Joes has roasted seaweed, regular and wasabi. Neither have added sugar- I love the wasabi!

LiterateGriffin 02-20-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16269547)
I go to an Asian grocery store and buy 6-pack packages of seaweed snacks with no added MSG; the Korean ones that I buy don't have added sugar. If there's an Asian grocery store in your area, stop by and look for the seaweed snacks there.

Another portable snack is pepperoni slices microwaved for 1 minute on paper towels. They are nice and crispy, and I like them cold as well as hot.

This.

The Korean ones (Koreans don't sweeten theirs) are called "Laver" instead of "Nori". Korean script is distinctive, in that it has small circles. (Koreans actually have a phonetic alphabet, so the circles are a recurring thing -- you WILL see them if the writing is Korean.) Other Asian scripts do not have these circles, so Korean is easy to identify.

I don't eat much that's processed, and I tend to have low blood pressure, AND I have a past diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (with CFS, you're not supposed to limit salt/sodium). And I LC. So unlike most Americans, I try to make sure I get "enough" sodium! :laugh: I love the seaweed for this! It's salty and yummy, LC, low-cal, and nutrient-dense. Just about perfect, if you ask me!

Arctic_Mama 02-20-2013 07:57 PM

Costco has sesame rosted nori sheets and they're very low carb. I eat them all the time :)

haferchamp 02-24-2013 08:32 AM

I saw these at Costco yesterday but was afraid to buy such a large quantity only to discover I didn't like them. May have to bite the bullet next time i'm there and buy them. I have stage 3 adrenal fatigue so salt is a "yes" item for me. These can't be any worse than having to drink salt water in a.m. Thanks for the tip.

Big Stevie 02-24-2013 09:01 AM

I eat these also. I love this stuff. My 9 year old son loves seaweed so much that he eats it at nearly every meal. He even puts it on top of his cereal in the morning!

lterry913 02-24-2013 09:11 AM

For a crunchy snack I buy, but you can make, the jalapeno Parmesan crisps, and if I can I will put laughing cow chipotle cheese on them. I make my own version of the parm crisps with shredded parm, some cayenne pepper and other seasonings...you could add the sea salt for electrolyte issues.

Rhubarb 02-24-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16277657)
For a crunchy snack I buy, but you can make, the jalapeno Parmesan crisps, and if I can I will put laughing cow chipotle cheese on them. I make my own version of the parm crisps with shredded parm, some cayenne pepper and other seasonings...you could add the sea salt for electrolyte issues.

If you're a fan of salty sweet treats, check this out:

PARMIGIANO REGGIANO CRISPS WITH CHOCOLATE AND SEA SALT

Makes 24 crisps

Ingredients:
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Parmigiano Reggiano
6 tablespoons finely chopped dry roasted whole almonds (skins on)
4 ounces good quality bitter chocolate, finely chopped
1 scant teaspoon vegetable oil
liquid sweetener to taste
Sea salt for sprinkling

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Toss cheese and almonds together in a bowl. Form 12 mounds of cheese mixture on each lined baking sheet, spacing them 3 inches apart. Using the back of a spoon, press down on each mound to form a 1/4-inch thick circle. Place one baking sheet at a time on middle oven rack. Bake rounds 6 to 8 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let crisps cool on baking sheets.

Once crisps are cooled completely, line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Toss chocolate with vegetable oil in a small bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Add sweetener. Dip about one-third to one-half of each crisp into melted chocolate, hold a few seconds above chocolate, then place on the lined baking sheet. Immediately scatter a tiny bit of sea salt over chocolate. Let chocolate set before serving. You can put crisps in refrigerator or freezer to speed setting.

Calories 82.5
Total Fat 7.1 g
Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
Dietary Fiber1.2 g
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 1.4 g

clackley 02-24-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhubarb (Post 16278012)
If you're a fan of salty sweet treats, check this out:

PARMIGIANO REGGIANO CRISPS WITH CHOCOLATE AND SEA SALT

Makes 24 crisps

Ingredients:
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Parmigiano Reggiano
6 tablespoons finely chopped dry roasted whole almonds (skins on)
4 ounces good quality bitter chocolate, finely chopped
1 scant teaspoon vegetable oil
liquid sweetener to taste
Sea salt for sprinkling

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Toss cheese and almonds together in a bowl. Form 12 mounds of cheese mixture on each lined baking sheet, spacing them 3 inches apart. Using the back of a spoon, press down on each mound to form a 1/4-inch thick circle. Place one baking sheet at a time on middle oven rack. Bake rounds 6 to 8 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let crisps cool on baking sheets.

Once crisps are cooled completely, line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Toss chocolate with vegetable oil in a small bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Add sweetener. Dip about one-third to one-half of each crisp into melted chocolate, hold a few seconds above chocolate, then place on the lined baking sheet. Immediately scatter a tiny bit of sea salt over chocolate. Let chocolate set before serving. You can put crisps in refrigerator or freezer to speed setting.

Calories 82.5
Total Fat 7.1 g
Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
Dietary Fiber1.2 g
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 1.4 g

WOW!!! That looks incredible - copy and pasting for the next occasion that I need something special!! THANK YOU!:D

kayellr 02-24-2013 02:43 PM

How much oil is on the costco nori? If you have a label handy. I know most of the nori snacks use corn oil, which I'm not fond of, but maybe if it's a tiny amount....

Rhubarb 02-24-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16278090)
WOW!!! That looks incredible - copy and pasting for the next occasion that I need something special!! THANK YOU!:D

You're welcome! You won't be sorry. They're amazing.

Arctic_Mama 02-24-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayellr (Post 16278209)
How much oil is on the costco nori? If you have a label handy. I know most of the nori snacks use corn oil, which I'm not fond of, but maybe if it's a tiny amount....

It does have corn oil or soybean oil, if I recall. They're not greasy but a pack of them (five servings) does indeed have 100 calories total, which you can extrapolate most of the calories coming from the oil. I'd say only about 40 of those are from the actual seaweed. I ate my last pack a week ago and haven't picked up more, so I can't give more details off the top of my head!

fiddlejen 02-25-2013 07:43 PM

The regular grocery store sells "Roasted Seaweed Snacks" made by Annie Chun. The description on the pack says it's Korean seaweed.

It comes in a few different flavors... the brown sugar flavor does have some sugar, but not the Cracked Pepper flavor. (Cracked pepper is my favorite flavor.)

I have the Sesame flavor in front of me, and the ingredients are: Seaweed, canola oil, sesame oil, and salt. Total carbs: 1g, of which none is sugar, at least according to the label. Calories 30 for half a package, and recently the sale price at my grocery store has been $.99/package.

LAGril 02-25-2013 08:45 PM

The Costco roasted seaweed snacks have corn oil as the second ingredient. I buy either the Trader Joe's roasted seaweed snack, which contains a little canola oil or the Annie Chun's. Trader's are 99 cents for each package. They are very tasty.

SugarFreeSheila 02-26-2013 06:07 AM

I wrap my turkey (or chicken) & Swiss roll-ups in seaweed. They're great like this - you should try it!

ouizoid 02-26-2013 07:01 AM

the Korean brand SeaSnax is made with olive oil. They have great flavours. I love the chipotle. They are more expensive, but worth it IMO.

That Girl 02-26-2013 07:42 AM

Trader Joe's is carrying some seaweed snacks now.

millergirl1976 02-26-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16278260)
It does have corn oil or soybean oil, if I recall. They're not greasy but a pack of them (five servings) does indeed have 100 calories total, which you can extrapolate most of the calories coming from the oil. I'd say only about 40 of those are from the actual seaweed. I ate my last pack a week ago and haven't picked up more, so I can't give more details off the top of my head!

Hmm. Trader Joes is lower in cals than that- 60 cals, 2 g fat, 2 carbs 2 g fiber for the whole package.