Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Why is this happening? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797498-why-happening.html)

squeakie 02-20-2013 02:42 AM

Why is this happening?

I haven't been here in a while, but I always come back here when I need help/info, etc regarding diet and exercise. People here are always so willing to give help and advice and I really appreciate that...

Now I'm really frustrated because I'm gaining weight for what seems like no reason at all :(

I'm pretty much near my goal weight, have been for quite a while. I gained some weight (about 5lbs) over the holidays but managed to lose that after the new year. All good so far...

However in recent couple of weeks, I've upped my exercise frequency (6x per week) and started doing harder workouts (was quite sore a couple days ago) and cut back on my wine consumption in an attempt to lose a couple more lbs. Didn't change my WOE at all because I've been satisfied with it - mostly all meat and raw veggies, olive oil and a little bit of dairy here and there.. keep in mind I did manage to lose 5 lbs after the holidays on this same exact WOE... so anyway... this past week or so, I'm up almost 2 lbs! What gives??? WHY? same eating, more exercise, less wine... so why??? I know it's not a lot of weight but still, this shouldn't be happening! p.s. TOM is not for another couple of weeks.

Would love some advice or ideas as to why this is happening. Thanks so much!!

Mimosa23 02-20-2013 02:57 AM

Hi Squeakie,

Upping exercise could be the culprit. You may be retaining water and increasing muscle mass, which will lead to a weight increase. Are you measuring your inches?

Also, keep a diary of exact quantities of food and drinks you are consuming, it may be good to have a three day overview of what you are eating, so you can pinpoint what is causing it exactly.

My opinion though is the increased exercise... Don't worry, it is just you gaining muscle mass.

xxx

Kimberli33 02-20-2013 04:48 AM

I agree with Mimosa-its probably the exercise,sounds like you really kicked it up a notch?.Happens time and again.Sore muscles can retain lbs of water weight.It will eventually come off and you will be nice and toned for your fitness efforts.

LiterateGriffin 02-20-2013 04:53 AM

I've been horrified to gain as much as 2-3 lbs after an extra-intense workout... my only "sanity" came from discovering my workout-partner had exactly the same gain after the same workout. (We didn't eat together or on the same plans, so if we both had the same change, it HAD to be the workout!)

This isn't fat. It's actually GOOD.

Kimberli33 02-20-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16269143)
I've been horrified to gain as much as 2-3 lbs after an extra-intense workout... my only "sanity" came from discovering my workout-partner had exactly the same gain after the same workout. (We didn't eat together or on the same plans, so if we both had the same change, it HAD to be the workout!)

This isn't fat. It's actually GOOD.

:goodpost:

Leo41 02-20-2013 05:11 AM

This is temporary water retention. When we stress muscles, there are microscopic tears that heal within 24 hours. To protect those stressed muscles until they're healed, the body brings water to the cells in those areas for protection. The water is released once the healing occurs.

Because of this 'damage,' exercise physiologists recommend at least a 24 hour interval in working out specific muscles. Since you mention working out so frequently, you should be aware of this advice to vary muscle groups that are worked out if you're exercising on consecutive days.

Taxbane 02-20-2013 05:27 AM

(1) Most likely water retention as others have said. (2) Also increasing your activity could cause you body's metabolism to cause you to get hungrier and eat a little more here and there, so keep an eye on that too (b/c in addition to extra calories, the extra food weights something too while moving through). (3) Intense cardio does increase insulin levels itself, so maybe also shift consumming fats away from the 2 hour window in which you exercise.

Also, do you have one of those scales which measures water weight, body fat, and muscle mass in addition to total lbs? May help peaceof mind to see that lbs may go up and down, but body fat is stable which means the weight change is water/muscle/Food passing through.

squeakie 02-20-2013 05:39 AM

Hey thanks for the replies! I'm really hoping its water retention while the muscles repair. I was sore for a few days, today is the first day I don't feel really sore anymore but that extra weight is still there. Unfortunately, I only have an old-fashioned scale that only measures body weight with one of those dials that moves when you stand on it... but maybe the fact that I haven't gained inches will help. I was just freaked out because I've never experienced weight gain when upping the exercise and cutting back on some of the things I consume!

Krissy2010 02-20-2013 05:46 AM

Give it another week doing exactly what you did this past week and I bet you will see the scale go down. I was so frustrated one week when I did a 30 mile bike ride and worked out really intense all week only to find I'd gained 3 pounds that week! Then the following week I lost 5 pounds! Keep positive, losing weight is never easy!

adiasmc1 02-20-2013 01:02 PM

Yes, give it a little time and see if it evens out.

But remember too, muscle weighs more than fat, so you could actually end up "gaining weight" but looking skinnier because you will be compacting (muscles are smaller than fat) and may lose inches.

squeakie 02-21-2013 01:25 AM

Thanks again... I am going to keep doing what I'm doing and see where it goes in the next week or two.

One question to Taxbane:

You said:

(3) Intense cardio does increase insulin levels itself, so maybe also shift consumming fats away from the 2 hour window in which you exercise.

I don't really understand this, can you explain in dummy terms? I don't really know the relation between insulin levels and fat consumption. I have started doing HIIT - fast moving toning exercises mixed with intense cardio bursts.