Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
LC ways of staying healthy when flu is all around us...

I thought I'd start off something that may be useful right now, especially with this nasty flu going around...

So the questions are:

1: what LC type medicine/food/drink do you take to help your immune system?

2: when under the weather, what LC allowed medicine or food/drink do you take to help you recover quicker?

my answers:

1: I use EVCO, I eat it off the spoon three times a day and cook with it. I also take grapefruit seed extract three times a day and I take vit D3 and Omega 3 oils. I also eat lots of green leafy vegetables and good quality protein. When I have some, I also drink a cup of salted chicken broth where I add a pat of kerrygold butter to it. I try and get lots of fresh air and get my blood pumping by going for brisk walks twice a day.

2: I gargle with salt water for my sore throat, I use seasalt nose drops to help with congestion, I drink as much chicken broth as I want/need, I drink lots of water and some tea. I take EVCO and grapefruit seed extract as well as the Vit 3/ Omega 3 oils all three times a day. I also take aspirin or paracetamol to help with general aches and pains. Usually when I'm ill, I'm not hungry. When I start getting hungry I make chicken broth with stuff in it, like spinach, egg, chicken...

So, what are your tips for staying healthy during flu and cold season?

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I hope that I'm not jinxing myself by saying this but ... I haven't gotten sick since I started eating low carb. Not even the sniffles for 13 months.

I do try to eat a very healthy diet: lots of nonstarchy organic vegetables, including dark leafy greens, lots of wildcaught fish and liver, homemade bone broth, lacto-fermented vegetables, free range eggs, raw milk cheese, nuts, healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil, cold pressed nut oils), grassfed meats, and everything cooked from scratch, avoiding preprepared food and additives. Whenever I do get sick, I know I'll be eating bone broth and lots of lemon water and tea, and possibly Zevia ginger ale.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
1: what LC type medicine/food/drink do you take to help your immune system?
At the end of Autumn I bought raw propolis online and made my own propolis tincture (ingredients: alcohol, propolis). I have taken some every morning for the whole winter and I haven't been sick. Now I do not have a clue if that made the difference though.
Another option is you are looking for something herbal is echinacea, it's available in pills, it worked for me a few years ago but it's too expensive for me now.

2: when under the weather, what LC allowed medicine or food/drink do you take to help you recover quicker?
Chicken broth most of all. Veggie soups without potatoes. Roast chicken. Just keep it clean and many will also advise dairy free.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamabat
Stats: 226/159/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 8 2013
I use elderberry lozenges all the times during cold/flu season, but, up the amount when feeling the slightest ick coming on, or if one of my kids is sick/getting sick. The brand I use is "less than" 1g carbs, and sugar.

Elderberry is an amazing immune system booster, and a must have item in my home. The whole family uses it.

I also like chicken broth with ginger, garlic, and as much cayenne as I can stand.

Thankfully I haven't had the flu in 20 some years *knock wood*. Let's hope that holds!
mamabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Actually, I don't do anything besides eat low carb. My immune system is pretty good--- haven't even had a cold in years! Sugar is notorious for suppressing the immune system.......
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
So, after all that talk about preventing flu and colds, I think I may be getting a cold. However, I have to extoll the virtues of ACV: it's great! I was starting to get a blocked nose (not good, I need my nose for my work) and I took 2TB of ACV in a small glas of water. It's now 20 minutes later and my nose is clearing!

I'll do this three more times today, on top of my medicinal EVCO and Vit D3. Will get back to you all later to report any progress!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
High doses of Vitamin D!!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote