Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: exiledone1
Stats: 285/240/170
WOE: Atkins (The New Diet Revolution) on Induction
Start Date: 12/2/2013
High triglycerides while on Atkins?

Hi everyone,

I just got my blood test results back from a recent doctors visit and he said everything was perfect except for high triglycerides levels.

Isn't Atkins supposed to help with this? Could this be caused from going on and off the diet when I briefly fell off the wagon?

Thanks
Josh
exiledone1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I wonder what your # was and also what the falling off entailed and how close to the blood work draw was? Tryglicerides are quite quick to fall on a low carb woe and I would assume the opposite is true as well.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, the relevant thing is your carb consumption for only about three days prior to the test. and yes, it normally goes WAY down when low carbing. how close to the test was your carb binging?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: exiledone1
Stats: 285/240/170
WOE: Atkins (The New Diet Revolution) on Induction
Start Date: 12/2/2013
I think the person on the phone told me it was a little above 170 or something? I'm going to have to call them up tomorrow and write it all down. She called me at a time I couldn't really talk earlier.

I think at the time of the test I have been on Atkins for about 3 weeks? The last cheat day I had was about a month ago. The cheat day only lasted for 1 day and I was back on Atkins all the way to the test which were on Feb 8th. The lady on the phone said the doctor said everything looked fine though and he knows Im on Atkins and supports it...so yeah, maybe my next test will show much better.

I'll get all the information tomorrow and report back

Josh

Last edited by exiledone1; 02-20-2013 at 12:59 AM..
exiledone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Well I think 150 is normal so you should be fine!
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledone1 View Post
I think the person on the phone told me it was a little above 170 or something? I'm going to have to call them up tomorrow and write it all down. She called me at a time I couldn't really talk earlier.

I think at the time of the test I have been on Atkins for about 3 weeks? The last cheat day I had was about a month ago. The cheat day only lasted for 1 day and I was back on Atkins all the way to the test which were on Feb 8th. The lady on the phone said the doctor said everything looked fine though and he knows Im on Atkins and supports it...so yeah, maybe my next test will show much better.

Josh
Josh,
From what I understand, 3 weeks is way too early to test the true, wonderful effects of LC. Some people do so much better 6 to 9 to 12 months.

Dont lose faith....keep working your lifestyle (notice I didn't say diet)and retest.

Trigs are greatly effected by carb intake.

Well wishes!

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 02-20-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hemidancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledone1 View Post

Josh
170 is not high. It may be slightly higher than normal but it's not high. My triglycerides run in the 500s - now THAT is high! I just started induction so I'm hoping to bring that number way down. Sounds like you're doing great - keep up the good work!
hemidancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I had my triglycerides immediately before and then 3 months after starting LC and yes, my levels did drop by alot.
I think you need to know what your levels were prior to going lc and then your 170 will have a context....if it's going down then you are on the right track and should stay the course with confidence.
Keep us posted this info is very interesting.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I had my triglycerides immediately before and then 3 months after starting LC and yes, my levels did drop by alot.
I think you need to know what your levels were prior to going lc and then your 170 will have a context....if it's going down then you are on the right track and should stay the course with confidence.
Keep us posted this info is very interesting.
Excellent point!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote