Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
SadieJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 616
Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
What is consensus on sweetners?

Some say they stall you and others say they are ok. I use Equal, Sweet n Low and Splenda.
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,394
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
They're not all created equal, and they all don't affect people the same way. They DO stall some people, and they don't stall others. You have to experiment and see how they affect your body.

I use Liquid Splenda almost exclusively, and it doesn't stall me. That's not the case for everyone.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
Janknitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,383
Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
There's a growing body of scientific evidence that even non-nutritive, non-caloric sweeteners may still provoke an insulin response, and insulin is that "fat storage hormone" we are trying so hard to avoid. So if you're using them daily and multiple times a day, you may want to think about reducing your use. But one packet a day in coffee is probably not a horrible problem, especially with other food.

The opinions on which sweetener are going to vary a lot. Some people think certain artificial sweeteners are poison, others do not (I think either Dr. William Davis or Lustig said "we KNOW sugar is unsafe, so artifical sweeteners are always better"). Better or not, it doesn't mean that sweeteners are therefore healthful, so limiting them is good.

I go by taste. I can't abide by the tase of stevia and NOTHING covers it up for me. Same with Splenda. Xylitol and Erythritol work well for me tastewise, and as an added bonus they are outrageously expensive, so I'm not tempted to overuse them. I don't buy for a minute that they are "natural sweetners"--no matter what source they come from they are very processed, but I think of them as essentially benign in small amounts, and they taste good to me.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
Arctic_Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,782
Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
There is no consensus, especially regarding food

A good rule of thumb is to use all artificial sweeteners sparingly. Pick the one you like best and use it. That's the short answer.

I, myself, like stevia, sucralose, and erythritol.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
janetsbreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,473
Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I totally agree with what has already been posted - that your mileage may vary.

I prefer to use:
erythritol
xylitol
sucralose
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,926
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I can't use artificial sweeteners--they make me super hungry and that makes me miserable. But that's just my experience; listen to your own body and see what works for you in terms of taste, hunger, digestive issues, stalls, etc.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,155
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
There's a growing body of scientific evidence that even non-nutritive, non-caloric sweeteners may still provoke an insulin response, and insulin is that "fat storage hormone" we are trying so hard to avoid. So if you're using them daily and multiple times a day, you may want to think about reducing your use. But one packet a day in coffee is probably not a horrible problem, especially with other food.

The opinions on which sweetener are going to vary a lot. Some people think certain artificial sweeteners are poison, others do not (I think either Dr. William Davis or Lustig said "we KNOW sugar is unsafe, so artifical sweeteners are always better"). Better or not, it doesn't mean that sweeteners are therefore healthful, so limiting them is good.

I go by taste. I can't abide by the tase of stevia and NOTHING covers it up for me. Same with Splenda. Xylitol and Erythritol work well for me tastewise, and as an added bonus they are outrageously expensive, so I'm not tempted to overuse them. I don't buy for a minute that they are "natural sweetners"--no matter what source they come from they are very processed, but I think of them as essentially benign in small amounts, and they taste good to me.
There is no consensus and in fact there is a lot of misinformation. I am always trying to seek out the truth (as many of us are). I would love to know what this 'growing body of scientific evidence' is. I wonder if you would, please, share your sources?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,822
Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
There's a growing body of scientific evidence that even non-nutritive, non-caloric sweeteners may still provoke an insulin response, and insulin is that "fat storage hormone" we are trying so hard to avoid. So if you're using them daily and multiple times a day, you may want to think about reducing your use.
I agree.

Also, I do LC not just to maintain my goal weight but also for health, and I don't see how consuming them can be good for the body.

I also think that that need for a sweet taste is what causes many to keep chasing that same taste with sweet lc things, which just amounts to unnecessary and extra carbs and calories that slow down or stop weight loss.

It's also pretty amazing how your perception of what sweet is changes when you cut out all sweeteners.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
SadieJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 616
Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
Thanks everyone. I love coffee with sweetner in it. I have tried to NOT use sweetners or sugar and I can't drink coffee without it. I do use a lot of sweetner.... 2 packs per cup and 5-6 cups a day. I guess I will have to do something else. Bummer.
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 72,101
Gallery: Dottie
2 packs per cup @1g carbs per pack x 5-6 cups is a lot of carbs you may not be aware of, too.
If you like sweetener, liquid is the way to go for the carbs (no carbs for most liquid sweeteners).
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
SadieJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 616
Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
Good point Dottie!

Where does one get liquid sweetners and which ones are the best??
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 72,101
Gallery: Dottie
It's a matter of personal taste. My preference is ez-sweetz (some people say wal-mart carries it, I have not found it locally).
Sweetleaf stevia glycerite is good if you can handle stevia
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
SadieJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 616
Gallery: SadieJack
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 2013
I actually think I saw EZ Sweetz at a mega Walmart here in Dallas. They sell different items at different areas of the state (even city). Thanks Dottie
SadieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Ntombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boston, then OH, then NYC, now SoCal. Whew!
Posts: 38,394
Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I use a different brand, but it's also liquid Splenda (zero carbs). I also use the occasional SF syrup. I try very hard not to waste my carb grams on sweeteners.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
biancasteeplechase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 249
Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
There is no consensus and in fact there is a lot of misinformation. I am always trying to seek out the truth (as many of us are). I would love to know what this 'growing body of scientific evidence' is. I wonder if you would, please, share your sources?
I agree - and so does Gary Taubes in Why We Get Fat. I know there's always room for new evidence to emerge, but I'd like to see the sources.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
rubidoux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 1,466
Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Also, I do LC not just to maintain my goal weight but also for health, and I don't see how consuming them can be good for the body.

I also think that that need for a sweet taste is what causes many to keep chasing that same taste with sweet lc things, which just amounts to unnecessary and extra carbs and calories that slow down or stop weight loss.

It's also pretty amazing how your perception of what sweet is changes when you cut out all sweeteners.
They are good for my body because they make it possible for me to stay on plan. I don't eat a ton of them, but most days I will have a couple of drops of liquid splenda either in my salad dressing or in an egg cream or in a one minute muffin pancake. I also like to use a packet of truvia once in a while to make buttered pecans or to mix into some mascarpone. It is quite amazing how I have changed my woe in the last few years and these couple of drops and a packet or two a week really help keep from veering off course. I don't feel like I need to be perfect, I need it to be workable.

Anyway, to the OP... I try to use eZsweets as often as possible (bc it has no carbs or cals) but I use truvia where it is particularly yummy (it is more sugar-like imo). I like the idea of not using too much of any one kind of artificial sweetener. I don't think any of them are ideal foods.
__________________
jayne, type I diabetic and mama to two sweet boys (9/03 and 2/09)

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 748
Gallery: picklepete
Most discussion of sugar substitutes is frustratingly short on data. I personally feel they're harmless in typical amounts, but avoiding them on the basis of synthetic/corporate products is totally valid as well.

I just try to be honest about how they are used--i.e. occasional pleasure versus intrusive addiction.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
Purple Crayon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,829
Gallery: Purple Crayon
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I agree.

Also, I do LC not just to maintain my goal weight but also for health, and I don't see how consuming them can be good for the body.

I also think that that need for a sweet taste is what causes many to keep chasing that same taste with sweet lc things, which just amounts to unnecessary and extra carbs and calories that slow down or stop weight loss.

It's also pretty amazing how your perception of what sweet is changes when you cut out all sweeteners.
So true!
Not until LC did I ever think green beans tasted sweet.
Purple Crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Heheher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 4,720
Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
Stevia is my favorite. Doesn't make me crave, doesn't raise my blood sugar. It's super sweet and a little goes a long way. It did take some getting used to the flavor at first. But after going a year with nothing sweet, it was worth a try.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.