Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: twinsplusone
Stats: 170/138/132
Start Date: 7/1/2009
Torani nutrition question

When using Torani sugar free syrups in recipes, what calorie/carb count do you use? I know the bottle says 2tablespoons is 0 calories and 0 carbs, but how much for a cup? I know Splenda packs have carbs/calories, so wouldn't large quantities of syrup also have carbs/calories?

I tried calling the company and they only read me the label.

So how do you all count larger quantities of syrup?

Thanks
twinsplusone is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Splenda PACKETS have carbs, because they add maltodextrin to bulk up the sucralose. Sucralose is so sweet that it needs a bulking agent, or you'd be adding a few grains at a time. Not very practical. Sucralose itself has zero carbs on its own. The sugar-free syrups use sucralose without the bulking agents, so it is truly zero carbs.

That's why so many of us use liquid splenda, rather than the packets. Liquid Splenda is "bulked up" with water, rather than maltodextrin powder. Zero carbs versus 0.9g per packet? That's a no brainer.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
good question! I am troubled by the fact that SOME Torani flavors, such as chocolate chip cookie dough, have one gram of carb per 2 tablespoon serving. if that's the case, I doubt the zero gram ones are REALLY zero gram. somewhere between zero and .49 grams, of course. If you were to be safe, you would count a gram per quarter cup, but I don't know whether they really have that much.

it's just hard to think why most flavors would be NONE and then some jump to a whole gram in two tablespoons, you know?

to my knowledge, all the DaVinci ones are zero carb on the label, but again, with the rounding it's hard to say how much is in larger quantities.

Maybe compromise and count one gram per half cup of the ones that say zero?

Last edited by ravenrose; 02-19-2013 at 04:59 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Splenda PACKETS have carbs, because they add maltodextrin to bulk up the sucralose. Sucralose is so sweet that it needs a bulking agent, or you'd be adding a few grains at a time. Not very practical. Sucralose itself has zero carbs on its own. The sugar-free syrups use sucralose without the bulking agents, so it is truly zero carbs.

That's why so many of us use liquid splenda, rather than the packets. Liquid Splenda is "bulked up" with water, rather than maltodextrin powder. Zero carbs versus 0.9g per packet? That's a no brainer.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote