Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Back on Inductoin

In January, I posted I was going to "go on maintenance" for a while.

Trillex and others questioned me on this (THANK YOU!), and my response came down to I just needed to not stress about lack-of-losing for a little bit.

In retrospect, my husband's job-situation was probably an "additional stressor". He was in the middle of a series of interviews with at least 3 different companies -- lots of instability in our little world and little routine.

Well, 2 weeks ago, he received and accepted an offer. This weekend? I announced I was going back on Induction "next week" (meaning when the work-week started, which means today).

Today, he started his new job, and I started back on induction. I'm ready to start losing again.

Of course, I also started the morning with a "bad weigh". This morning, naked, post bathroom, the scale said 199. This was up SIGNIFICANTLY from a couple days ago. I mean, sure, I had a beer Friday night, but that's ridiculous!

Then about 1.5 hours later, I was taking my daughter thru drivethru because she had just woken up and needed some food... and suddenly decided we needed to go IN so I could use the potty. ~chuckles~ I'm sure I walked out several pounds lighter!

Since then, I've swum 300 yards, drunk a TON... (as well as drinking my bulletproof-coffee for breakfast) and when I stepped on the scale (wearing my top and my undies)? Was still almost 2 pounds lighter than this morning. lol So no I deal what I "really" weigh right now, but sure it's going to be LESS by Friday!

Also, stopped at the local IGA to pick up some crab-legs to toss in a quiche, and discovered they sell packages of pork-fat. Picked one up...

OK. Enough mucking around -- Time to get SKINNY!
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
You've got the fire inside you, LG! Life may have thrown some challenges your way, but it can't stop you from achieving your goals. You are totally worth the effort you're putting in!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Welcome back to Induction. I am sure you will do great. Glad to hear your life has stabalized a little. These are tough times we are living in.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
You have to keep us posted on what you do w that pork fat! Is it like a slice cut off a piece of meat or like rendered fat?
rubidoux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

The pork fat is just what it sounds like -- slices of raw fat.

I had some back in California, before I moved, from our "farmer up the street". (Not really -- he lived 15 miles away. But you get the idea.) We'd slice some off to use as cooking-fat, occasionally. I kept wanting to just cook some up for LC purposes, but never got around to it... and then we moved to FL, and obviously didn't bring stuff like that.

But I want to cut some of it up nice & fine, and cook it like bacon... And then cook up some collard-greens in the pan I used. (Tis the season for me to start craving hard-core greens!) I honestly can't decide right now which half of that sounds better. Lucky for me, I don't have to.

I'm looking forward to morning, when I can (hopefully) get a more meaningful weight off the scale.

Off-hand, I don't know exactly what my carbs were today -- a friend took me out for a belated Birthday lunch -- but probably under 10. (Bullet-proof coffee for breakfast. Some pork-rinds for a snack -- first time ever trying them. Wings for lunch. And a fat-bomb for dinner, because I pretty much collapsed when we finally got home. Had been PLANNING on a more involved dinner, but events conspired against me.)

As for the pool.... We're at the YMCA with that... I grew up swimming at the Y, and SHOULD have gone out for swim-team as a kid, but never did. Now, my kids and husband are all taking lessons, so they can become competent swimmers (since we LIKE going snorkeling and such, living so close to the ocean). This is getting ME back in the water... and thinking about taking the lifeguard-course. When I asked one of the instructors what I needed endurance-wise, she told me their test is 500 yards. That's broken up over several strokes, and you can rest between... but 500. WHEN I was hitting the pool, I've been resting after each lap (50), and stopping for a couple breaths at the half-way point (ie: where you turn around).

Today, I did NOT pause at the far end, and only "rested" long enough between laps to decide what my next one should be. "Wow! My frog-kick really sucked -- better do a kick-board lap to focus on it!", that kind of thing. I was ALSO racing the clock a bit, because I needed to "catch" hubby before he got to work. By my intention is to be getting in my 500 yards (with as little breathing-time as possible) at LEAST 2x week, maybe more. AND getting back to my "dry" workouts (inside, with weights, with the purpose of increasing mass.)

YESTERDAY, I pulled a "dry" workout... including the mandatory cardio-stint. Sat down on my little bike, and picked a different "routine" than usual. It ended up being the "fitness test" -- ran about 10 minutes, with progressively harder resistance, monitoring my heart-rate the whole time. At the end, it gave my "fitness level" as "High". ~chuckles~ It seems I may still be "old, fat", but can no longer claim to be COMPLETELY "out of shape". (Re: "Old, fat, and out of shape" -- I'm only hitting 2 out of 3, and looking at dropping one of those! )

Dec. 2011, I was obese and in pretty pathetic condition. Feb. 2013, and I'm overweight (NOT obese!) and thinking of becoming a lifeguard. I'm not 100% sure about seeking employment as a guard (I mean, I can watch the life guards at the Y and think the job wouldn't suck -- I enjoy things that leave my mind free to roam. But I realize that I wouldn't want the job on open water or a truly public pool.) But I AM 100% sure about taking the training and getting certified. Partly because it's something I SHOULD have done at 16, and partly because I have kids. Who go in the water. And I WOULD dive into Niagara Falls after them without thinking twice, and with perfect confidence that I could swim us to the surface, so I'd darned well better get trained! ~chuckles~

Yeah... We all knew that "maintenance" crap was just temporary! I'm NOT at goal yet, and I WILL be at goal eventually. I just needed a "breather" to go deal with life a little.

Side-note: the friend who took me to lunch today? Has been on-and-off LC since the 90's, apparently. So I had no qualms about telling her I was back on Induction before we went to lunch. She's being "off" right now, and wanted a sandwich, "Will that bother you, if I have bread?" And I had to laugh, because bread and such hold NO temptation for me. I'd much rather have a pile of wings. (Yes, I'm still on a wings-kick!)

Looking forward to making my crab-quiche tomorrow. AND to cooking up some collard-greens... though maybe those two shouldn't be in the same meal. ~chuckles~
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I will be cheering you all the way, LG!!!! You are so supportive to us all here, and I would like to return the same courtesy to you!
By the way, the collared greens in pork fat just made my mouth water...
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

195.8 was my weight this morning. I call that a "good weigh", since the number is BELIEVABLE to me. I'm going to consider that my re-start weight... NOT what I saw yesterday!

And thanks for the cheering-section!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/223/199
Start Date: April 2012
Glad you are back to losing, LiterateGriffin. I always enjoy seeing you on the boards.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Another thing: When I lived in CA, I was religious about my supplement regimen. Since we moved... not so much. By which I mean I haven't swallowed a single pill.

Well, I remembered that someone had shown me a good multi on Netrition a while back. ("Good" for me = a solid multi that does NOT have Vitamin K). So I just ordered a bunch of supplements -- they should be here in a few days.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

LG, just curious, why no vit K?

(I know nothing about this vitamin, and I seem to be still alive, LOL)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

First: You do not need to supplement Vitamin K -- your body makes it as needed. It is also plentiful in dark green leafy vegetables.

It's FUNCTION, biologically, is to help make your platelets sticky so they can form clots to stop bleeding when you are cut/injured. This is a GOOD thing.

What's BAD is when you have someone like me, who likes to throw deep vein thrombosis (DVT) for no good reason. Having spent a year on Coumadin/Warfarin, you become ultra-aware of K-levels. (I'm fine now, as long as I never take hormonal birth control or get pregnant. During pregnancy, I had to inject myself in the belly with anti-coagulants every day. The injections burn like crazy AND leave painful bruises. On a pregnant belly. Fun.)

Then some genius decided that Vitamin K might help Calcium absorption, so it started turning up in all multi-vitamins for a while (except pre-natals, because pregnant women are at a greater risk for clots).

I don't limit my dietary K (Love me some green leafies!)... but supplementing it would -- for me -- be downright stupid. Right up there with taking birth control.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the explanation, LG!

I checked and it's not in my multivitamins. I think I get enough anyway, most vegetables I eat are green and leafy...
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah... I think the "fad" of K-supplementing has kind of faded... I'm seeing more without it again, which is good (for me!) And as I said -- this is not an "essential" vitamin, meaning one you need to ingest, because your body manufactures it.

OK... my yesterday kinda fell apart with a high-stress evening. We wound up hitting McD's for dinner (grilled chicken club, sans bun) and just kind of collapsing, afterwards, because it was so late and we were so strung-out. (New job gets off at 6pm. 5-yr-old daughter's swim classes start at 6pm. Dropped her off, drove to get hubby... only to find traffic backed up IN BOTH DIRECTIONS. What should have been a 10-minute drive in heavy traffic? Took over 20 minutes each way, with us stressing the whole way, because her class was done by the time I picked up hubby. We barely made it back in time for my son's class. It wound up being all OK, but we both had our blood-pressure thru the roof for about an hour, and paid the price.)

SO. Now, I'm going to crack that crab-meat out of those legs, so I can make the promised and much-anticipated crab quiche... And cook me up some pork-fat, because I still want those collard-greens!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

194 today. After eating enough pork-fat yesterday to give Dr. Dean Ornish apoplexy. ~chuckles~

Slight bump ahead: Hubby's old work-mates are throwing him a good-bye party tonight at a local place that's not especially LC friendly. It's right after work. I'll be getting my son from the school bus, and dropping the kids off, getting hubby, and heading to the party. I think I need to grab a fat-bomb or two, so I can order a token "something", and not worry if it's actually satisfying or not.

And Rubidoux, I cut the pork-fat up in little pieces, put it in a hot cast-iron frying pan, and cooked it slowly till it was crispy. Then tossed collard greens in the standing pool of oil that was left, and cooked them all over quickly. Then I sprinkled the bits of cooked fat on top.... Me, hubby, and son all had the exact same reaction: Ate it like manna from heaven, talking about how great it was and thinking up more ways to eat it... right until we got too full to take another bite! And good grief, talk about a cheap meal! I think I fed the whole family last night for around $0.50!! (That's cheaper than Ramen, more satisfying, and more nutritious... As hubby pointed out.)

I'm excited to be heading DOWN again. I think that little "break" I took (not off-plan, just more lax) was really a good move. I love that I can DO that, when I need to -- decide my goal is to "hold" rather than "drop" for a bit, and just go about my life.

While I was maintaining, I still stepped on the scale every few days, to keep an eye on things... I just wasn't as careful about it. For example, I might step on in the middle of the afternoon, with my clothes on. It didn't matter, because all I needed was a ballpark figure... This is how I knew the "199" I got Tuesday morning wasn't accurate: It was out of whack with what I'd been seeing. When I decided to maintain, I was hovering right around 194-195. When I decided to STOP -- and after I cleaned out the system a bit! -- I was at 195.8. Not bad, particularly given I'd "cheated" a little 3 days before.

I love that I can maintain without much effort. That's so profoundly reassuring.

It gave me a chance to get my head together and get to a place where I'm ready to "buckle down" again.

Which I am!

It feels good to be moving in the right direction again.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Yeah... I think the "fad" of K-supplementing has kind of faded... I'm seeing more without it again, which is good (for me!) And as I said -- this is not an "essential" vitamin, meaning one you need to ingest, because your body manufactures it.
Vitamin K supplementation is no fad. Just because our bodies make a certain nutrient does not mean that we have enough of it, esp if someone has some sort of illness or takes medication, like antibiotics.

Your own medical issues mean that you have to be careful with vitamin K, but that doesn't make it a fad for everyone else.

Your body can make vitamin D as well, but so many are deficient and need to supplement.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 02-22-2013 at 07:38 AM..
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Junk,

I don't mean to imply that no one should take K.

What I DO mean to imply is that vitamin manufacturers -- just like all other food-manufacturers -- often jump on "latest research" and go overboard with something, right after a study comes out.

There WAS such a study, a couple years ago, and suddenly, supplements that had never contained K... Did. You literally could not find one without it, in early 2012, except pre-natals. Since this was a NEW thing, and they've backed off again (SOME have K, some do not, today), I find it fairly reasonable to call them sticking it in every single supplement a "fad".

This is what I'm basing my wording on: the sudden upsurge and then the backswing.

I don't mind there being supplements for K... I mind when EVERY supplement has K.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
Junk,

I don't mean to imply that no one should take K.

What I DO mean to imply is that vitamin manufacturers -- just like all other food-manufacturers -- often jump on "latest research" and go overboard with something, right after a study comes out.

There WAS such a study, a couple years ago, and suddenly, supplements that had never contained K... Did. You literally could not find one without it, in early 2012, except pre-natals. Since this was a NEW thing, and they've backed off again (SOME have K, some do not, today), I find it fairly reasonable to call them sticking it in every single supplement a "fad".

This is what I'm basing my wording on: the sudden upsurge and then the backswing.

I don't mind there being supplements for K... I mind when EVERY supplement has K.
That is interesting. I've only seen it in some multis and bone formulas and in stand alone K supps, not in everything (and I've been taking supps for a long time).

I think how you feel about K is how I feel about iodine, I hate how so many multis have it. Thank god for Twinlab and their Allergy line.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 02-22-2013 at 08:13 AM..
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I started back on on Atkins 6 Jan 2012.

I try not to do Atkins without my supplements. (He pushes them, for health, and I listen. lol) I spent literally around 3 days trying to find a multi (besides prenatals) that didn't have K. In a variety of stores. They. All. Had. It.

And in the past, this hadn't been true, which was what was so frustrating.

And I get my schpeil about not needing to supplement it from medical personnel. Long before I threw my first clot, I remembered learning about K in health class in grade school... but then (80's/90's) no one talked about it. So I asked. And was told that it shouldn't even be called a vitamin, and that there is "never" a reason to supplement it, as your body makes it as needed. (NOT like it makes D -- in response to certain conditions -- but more like it makes hormones: As needed.)

20 years ago. New research. Fine... But I'm biased against, on the grounds it could kill me. Still, it seems that if there were widespread deficiency, we'd have a lot more hemophiliacs. (Again, I'm extra-cynical about this topic. ~chuckles~)

UGH! At any rate, I'm still looking forward to my shipment!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Out of curiosity, I just checked my multi & yep, it's got K in it
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ljmama0408
Stats: 220/193/150
Start Date: November 2012
Thank you for posting your experience LG. This is very motivating and educational. One of my goals is to learn to deal with the stress that life throws at us while eating LC since I tend to eat bad carby foods for comfort or for something easy when things get crazy.
ljmama0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Corvettebuff
Stats: 175/1160/150
Start Date: Jan 2013
Well I need to confess somewhere so here it goes. We had a snowfall yesterday in MO. We got 10 inches so guess who had three batches of snow ice cream. Today I feel awful and sluggish and I really don't need the sugar because I am boarderline and also since I was so ill with lyme a few years ago and was on antibotics for over two years just to stay alive. Now I fight yeast infection all the time in my colon. Not female yeast infection but in my colon. So it was a very stupid thing for me I probably had a cup and a half of sugar in all of that today I am paying for it. So now I am back on induction and getting my life back in order. I do know better!!!!!! Thanks for listening. Susan
Corvettebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post
Well I need to confess somewhere so here it goes. We had a snowfall yesterday in MO. We got 10 inches so guess who had three batches of snow ice cream. Today I feel awful and sluggish and I really don't need the sugar because I am boarderline and also since I was so ill with lyme a few years ago and was on antibotics for over two years just to stay alive. Now I fight yeast infection all the time in my colon. Not female yeast infection but in my colon. So it was a very stupid thing for me I probably had a cup and a half of sugar in all of that today I am paying for it. So now I am back on induction and getting my life back in order. I do know better!!!!!! Thanks for listening. Susan

Hi Susan...was just browsing the threads and see you are also from Mo...nice to see a neighbor....more snow on the way, stay warm and safe ..Stacy
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Weekend was rocky -- lower fat than I'd like, and I probably had hidden carbs on Saturday. BUT, I'm still down over a pound since my first good weigh, last Wednesday. Hitting the gym, today, to get things even further in gear.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Good job keep workin' it...you are doing great.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

~rubbing shoulders~ Yeah... That "hurt", in the good way. 2 hours spent in traffic, 1.5 hours spent at gym, and then a trip to Wild Wing Buffet for lunch. Accidentally grabbed a wing with BBQ on it, but the rest were good.

I'm going to feel this tomorrow.

I'm also expecting to be much happier with my scale, tomorrow. Seriously. If nothing else, I've been drinking like a camel today, which is always good for my weight.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Stacey thanks for the shout out. Stay in and stay warm is right. We are in the 12 to 24 inch amount of snow!!!!!We already had about 10 inches but some has melted.
I'm trying to stay LC through all of this and not eat because I am stuck inside...Take care.
I made oopsies this am and cheese rounds maybe that will keep me straight...Susan
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Make fat-bombs or a cheesecake... or cook up some bacon!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvettebuff View Post
Stacey thanks for the shout out. Stay in and stay warm is right. We are in the 12 to 24 inch amount of snow!!!!!We already had about 10 inches but some has melted.
I'm trying to stay LC through all of this and not eat because I am stuck inside...Take care.
I made oopsies this am and cheese rounds maybe that will keep me straight...Susan
Ohhhhhhh i know what you mean....we got lucky and last week only got about 6 inches of snow...I dont complain as i work at a school and that meant snow days for me...Today we are expecting about the same amount tonight, so i am hoping for a snow day again ...my bf leaves a bit south of KC and they are really going to get hit today

yummmmmi love oopsies and cheese round.....good for you, keep it up
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I'm back on induction once again. I have to do it this time. I've got lots of legal food in the fridge. Hope I don't get snowed in but I think it is headed my direction.
Susan