Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Help! Sore throat what can I take that has no carbs? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797401-help-sore-throat-what-can-i-take-has-no-carbs.html)

Kizz4k 02-18-2013 12:32 PM

Help! Sore throat what can I take that has no carbs?

I have a horrible sore throat and was hoping to take some cough drops. The DH brought home Halls Mentho-lyptus drops but I am afraid to take them. It gives no carb count, only says 15 calories. The ingredients say:glucose syrup as 5th ingred. and sucrose as 6th. I know this means sugar.....what can I take for my poor throat? I really like Halls when i am sick. Any suggestions?

PS
I am in the induction phase on Atkins and do not wish to waste any of my 20 carbs on throat medicine :(

PaleoRainy 02-18-2013 12:35 PM

Warm tea or chamomile or any other unsweetened warm drink.

Julie1972 02-18-2013 12:47 PM

Hot tea with lemon helps me. Hope you feel better!

Julie1972 02-18-2013 12:54 PM

Also, my mom always made me gargle with salt water and that helps a lot. If you don't want to suffer through that, maybe sip some warm salty chicken broth? Good luck!

Kimberli33 02-18-2013 12:55 PM

This works like magic-
gargle a tsp(or more if you can stand it)of cayenne pepper diluted w/ 1/2 c. warm water.Repeat this every 15m for an hr. and gargle long allowing yourself to swallow a little.
It does burn some but I SWEAR it will burn out your sore throat by 75 percent.And it will be gone tomorrow.

1sweettea1 02-18-2013 12:59 PM

chicken or beef bullion as hot as you can take it as many times as you can stand it. Before bed, do as Julie says and gargle with warm salt water and squirt saline solution up your nostrils to help with overnight drainage.
bah

I HATE being sick! Just don't have the patience to be sick.

Feel better soon!

Strawberry 02-18-2013 01:00 PM

My mom used to have me gargle with warm water to which she added a spoonful of baking soda and a spoonful of salt. (just gargle and spit it out) I always found this very soothing.

Sipping on warm tea or broth may help. Sometimes super cold, icey liquids will help numb your throat too.

They do make sugar free cough drops. Sugar free gum might also help just get your saliva flowing to soothe your throat.

emily1965 02-18-2013 01:58 PM

Ricola makes a sugar free cough drop that works really well.

Kizz4k 02-18-2013 02:50 PM

Thank you for all of your wonderful suggestions! I feel like trying them all...lol

You're right, Kimberli-it IS like magic! I had strep when i was a kid and my parents has no insurance a family friend told my mom of this old remedy and they had me do it. The strep was gone! All the white pockets disappeared and fever gone too :) I do remember crying and hating it, I cant eat hot things to this day because of it...lol

Emily thanks, I think I will go to Walgreens and get those cough drops, do you know if they have any carbs in them?

Julie and sweettea, hot broth sounds great! I don't know why I didnt think of it, thanks you everyone :)

baileygirl3 02-18-2013 04:03 PM

You have some great suggestions, just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon! Hugs!

JustMe2 02-18-2013 04:04 PM

Halls makes a sugar free cough drop too. Robittusin has a sugar free cough syrup and there is also one called Diabeti-tussin. I had a terrible cold a couple weeks ago and used all three of these with no effect on my weight loss.

Hope you get to feeling better!!

marieze 02-18-2013 10:00 PM

Just popping in to say feel better....if there is one thing I can't deal with it's a sore throat..:hugs:

Janknitz 02-18-2013 10:23 PM

Drink, drink, drink. Best treatment is to drown it out.

Throw some chicken on bones in a crockpot with onion, carrots, and celery. Cover with water and cook on low 12 to 24 hours. Strain and drink. Better than penicillin!

Mimosa23 02-19-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie1972 (Post 16266032)
Also, my mom always made me gargle with salt water and that helps a lot. If you don't want to suffer through that, maybe sip some warm salty chicken broth? Good luck!

Yes, gargling with salt water really helps. I use 1TB of unrefined seasalt dissolved in 3TB boiling water. Let cool to lukewarm and gargle for as long as you can stand it. Spit out water. Do this about three to five times a day.

After that, take a TB of EVCO to get rid of the saltiness and to give your immune system a boost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janknitz (Post 16266853)
Drink, drink, drink. Best treatment is to drown it out.

Throw some chicken on bones in a crockpot with onion, carrots, and celery. Cover with water and cook on low 12 to 24 hours. Strain and drink. Better than penicillin!

Homemade chicken broth is the best cure for anything cold and flu related! when cooking, don't add salt, add a TB or two of Apple Cider Vinegar (the cloudy organic stuff) it will pull the magnesium and other minerals from the bones which is what gives it its healing magic. Adding salt during the cooking process will nullify the work that the ACV is doing. I would add a sprinkling of seasalt to taste when you are about to drink it and some EVCO or butter... Yummy and you'll feel better in no time!

Also, hot water and grated fresh ginger and a slice of lemon will help too.

Get well soon!:hugs:

ravenrose 02-19-2013 07:43 AM

I think cough drops are a bad idea. even the sugar free ones are going to have those sugar alcohols which act just like sugar for many of us and also cause diarrhea...

how about chloraseptic throat spray? the only thing that ever actually worked for me. I think there is a sugar free one. a liquid is different from a solid drop and doesn't require the sugar alcohols.

good luck!

Bamboozled 02-19-2013 11:10 AM

I always gargle warm salt water when my throat is sore. Seems to work!

LoriAS 02-19-2013 11:16 AM

They aren't the best remedy, but I just go and buy the sugar free halls.

phurst_gal 02-19-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberli33 (Post 16266033)
This works like magic-
gargle a tsp(or more if you can stand it)of cayenne pepper diluted w/ 1/2 c. warm water.Repeat this every 15m for an hr. and gargle long allowing yourself to swallow a little.
It does burn some but I SWEAR it will burn out your sore throat by 75 percent.And it will be gone tomorrow.

Wow! Learning something new every day.

coffeelover 02-19-2013 01:39 PM

I usually just take an Advil Cold & Sinus and that relieves the pain from the sore throat. Then I drink decaf tea with lemon and/or Splenda. My doc told me that the vast majority of sore throats are actually caused by having mucus draining in your throat so anything that thins or stops it is really going to help - like a decongestant. Hope you feel better soon!