Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   So I went drinking last night and.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797325-so-i-went-drinking-last-night.html)

Big Stevie 02-17-2013 10:12 AM

So I went drinking last night and....

Well I celebrated 75 pounds lost by going out drinking with a bunch of old friends. It was a lot of fun. Over the last 6 months I have had maybe 10 drinks total. Well last night the tequila came out, my favorite Patron. Well I proceed to drink about 10 shots. Just straight with a little squeeze of lemon.

I was all prepared to feel bad today, but guess what, I woke up early and I am feeling great. I used to feel bad after a night of drinking. I think the difference here is I drank straight alcohol and didn't add any sugar or drink something with lots of sugar in it. It must have ben the massive amounts of sugar that caused me to feel bad in the past.

Not advocating drinking of course just more evidence that sugar rears its ugly head in areas we don't really think about.

reddarin 02-17-2013 10:35 AM

Tequila - gluten-free and zero carb :)

AngeloftheHeart 02-17-2013 10:59 AM

I had some the other night also along with a few drinks of beer. I was totally expecting to see a up on the scale and it actually went down! Congrats on the weight loss. And how you did 10 shots:stars::birthday::stars: I would of been down on the floor not seeing straight.

dejaht 02-17-2013 11:00 AM

Yep, my husband now drinks his spirits on the rocks or with water and the difference he feels as opposed to when he used to drink it with soft drinks is huge.

at_last 02-17-2013 03:28 PM

10 shots - wow! Impressive!

I, too, see no weight gain after drinking red wine several nights a week. (no where near 10 shot equivalent, tho. lol!)

Half the time there's a small loss.

Kriss 02-17-2013 10:10 PM

Wow....never thought of this!

cheryl70 02-18-2013 04:57 AM

I am so sad about giving up my wine, but as I see that wine is sugar, I guess I wont be having much of it. I am sure that I will be expirimenting with alcoholic cheats here and there. No alcohol allowed on induction...not sure how I will do that for two weeks!

SadieJack 02-18-2013 06:56 AM

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, FLOOR! :lol:

Kriss 02-18-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16265295)
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, FLOOR! :lol:

Teehee!!! :)

Taxbane 02-18-2013 06:10 PM

Congrats on the 75 down. :)

Eventhough there is zero carbs in distilled spirits, consumption of such alcohol still raises insulin and can impair insulin sensitivity. (Page 106 of Protein Power by Dr. Eades). Moreover, in regards to ketosis, alcohol can actually be converted into ketones by the liver and the alcohol actually competes with free fatty acids (dietary fats eaten or released by lypolysis) which may result in the slowing of fat loss by breaking it down into ketones. (Pg. 115 of the Ketogenic diet by Lyle McDonald).

Big Stevie 02-19-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxbane (Post 16266594)

Eventhough there is zero carbs in distilled spirits, consumption of such alcohol still raises insulin and can impair insulin sensitivity. (Page 106 of Protein Power by Dr. Eades). Moreover, in regards to ketosis, alcohol can actually be converted into ketones by the liver and the alcohol actually competes with free fatty acids (dietary fats eaten or released by lypolysis) which may result in the slowing of fat loss by breaking it down into ketones. (Pg. 115 of the Ketogenic diet by Lyle McDonald).

Fully agreed. I don't want to encourage others to drink, and I certainly have abstained while on this journey. But every once in great while you gotta let your hair down! I probably won't loose this week, but that is ok with me. This is a life long way of eating for me and I will reach goal in the not to distant future.

GAVIV 02-19-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Stevie (Post 16267373)
Fully agreed. I don't want to encourage others to drink, and I certainly have abstained while on this journey. But every once in great while you gotta let your hair down! I probably won't loose this week, but that is ok with me. This is a life long way of eating for me and I will reach goal in the not to distant future.

Congrats on your success! That is such a great attitude - I need to repeat that to myself over and over again.

hopewell 02-19-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngeloftheHeart (Post 16264046)
And how you did 10 shots:stars::birthday::stars: I would of been down on the floor not seeing straight.

Right there with ya!! :sick:

hopewell 02-19-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxbane (Post 16266594)

Thanks you so much!! :notwrthy: I was just about to go looking for this info today.
When I drink it's only w/ 0 carb mixers (ie Crystal Light) and even though I'm losing inches, which is great my lbs seem to be going VERY slowly. However, I don't weigh in often. On the other side since I stopped all sugar including any starchy veggies I feel so much better the day after having a drink or two than I ever did with all the sugary stuff to mix it with.

Bamboozled 02-19-2013 11:12 AM

When I drink, I drink diet pop and rum or vodka. Sometimes tequila shots.

Well I find I have been getting a LOT more drunk feeling since low carbing. I ended up reading an article a little while ago about how diet pop makes you feel drunker, so it's not just me! It's science!

But I always used to mix with diet pop so I'm thinking the sudden "whoa I am sooo drunk" thing must be related to low carb.

socaligirl714 02-19-2013 11:27 AM

i usually dont see a weight gain with a few diet coke/vodka... but i do when i drink beer.. it all depends on what i eat too

phurst_gal 02-19-2013 12:07 PM

I have to admit ... I'm a little disappointed.

Everyone has a great Tequila story. Usually it ends with them waking up in a closet or a bathtub ... or something like that.

Not that I would know about such things :D

You'll just have to do more shots next time, I guess.

Big Stevie 02-19-2013 01:38 PM

My body is really strange. Tequila doesn't get me very drunk. (The exact opposite of most people.) I never have any wild Tequila stories just wild Scotch stories. :stars:

SadieJack 02-19-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Stevie (Post 16268182)
My body is really strange. Tequila doesn't get me very drunk. (The exact opposite of most people.) I never have any wild Tequila stories just wild Scotch stories. :stars:

Tequila kicks my butt :p

But Absinthe is evil. :stars:

oceanlover66 02-19-2013 03:24 PM

I love Tequila! And O carbs wow. But, what does this do to your Trigs? It is the only alcohol I love, and wonder if I drink it with diet sprite how that would effect my trigs? 10 shots? Yep, I am right there with ya.:shake:

reddarin 02-19-2013 04:10 PM

If you go easy on the Rose's Grenadine, real easy cause it is all sugar, Tequila, grenadine and sprite makes a drink with a bite.

Purple Crayon 02-19-2013 07:22 PM

:sing:Jose Cuervo
You are a friend of mine.
I like to drink you with
A little salt and lime.
Did I kiss all the cowboys?
Did I shoot out the lights?
Did I dance on the bar?
Did I start any fights?:sing:

Liz1959 02-19-2013 09:29 PM

It's all good. Enjoy. Just know that your body can't burn anything but the alcohol until that's gone. It has to burn alcohol first, then carbohydrates, then fat.... So yes, moderation.