Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Gaining weight for no (?) reason (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797237-gaining-weight-no-reason.html)

Habakkuk 02-15-2013 12:39 PM

Gaining weight for no (?) reason
 
Heya,

I have recently started going the low carb way again. It's a long story but, in essence, my body stopped working the way I wanted it to work and I couldn't play ice-hockey and rugby anymore. Type 1 diabetes factored in as well and after that happened I gained lots of weight and ended up at 170kg / 340 pounds. Yeah...sad. I used to spend at least 3 hours a day on sports.

Anyway. So I didn't get "fat" as you might picture me but I'm still looking thin compared to my weight. I guess some of my weight is still muscles, luckily.

Since I started at the beginning of January 2013 I lost 23kg / 46 pounds. However, my birthday was on Tuesday and my friend invited me to a diner. I had a burger and only ate soup that evening, my weight was still down 0.6kg / 1.2 pounds the next morning. So I had a self-made burger (without fries etc.) but made it using a whole-grain bun.

However, it went up every day afterwards. Now I've gained 1.5kg (as of Friday morning, it's Friday evening where I am) already. By now it's 1kg more than this morning whilst it's usually around 0.5 - 0.8 more than in the morning. Most days I'm losing 0.8kg during the night.

I'm asking myself if I messed this up royally or if it'll just take a few days to even it out. I still don't exercise since all my old gym gear (it's still in the basement) has a limit of 130kg / 260 pounds.

I didn't even eat that much today, it was like 400g for lunch (porc & vegetables) and 200ml of soup / 3 eggs for dinner. I also noticed that drinking Diet Coke / Diet Pepsi will cause me to gain weight at an extreme rate.

Don't get me wrong, having lost 21kg / 42 pounds within 6 weeks is amazing but if I want to arrive at 130kg / 260 pounds by the end of March I need to further improve my loss. I know that losing too much too quickly can end up in gaining more weight in the end but since I plan on spending lots of time on sports again that shouldn't cause any trouble to me, luckily. :)

So, long story short: my main questions are the following.

1) is the gain I'm experiencing normal?
2) is it normal that Diet Coke / Diet Pepsi is causing such a gain?
3) should I simply go back to eating poultry & vegetables every day again? It's a bit boring by now.

reddarin 02-15-2013 01:33 PM

Am I misunderstanding or are you saying that you ate carbs and gained weight?

Whole wheat is just as unhealthy as not-whole wheat.

Habakkuk 02-15-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddarin (Post 16261375)
Am I misunderstanding or are you saying that you ate carbs and gained weight?

Whole wheat is just as unhealthy as not-whole wheat.

Indeed but

1) not much
2) I'm still gaining despite it was days ago

I never saw a delay or side-effect kicking in that late. That whole-wheat and wheat is the same is perfectly clear to me, no worries.

reddarin 02-15-2013 01:49 PM

Low carb doesn't have to be boring. There are a zillion LC recipes on the internet.

Drop your carbs back to whatever they were before you went off plan, or lower.

If losing weight is important to you then do what works.

:)

Habakkuk 02-15-2013 01:55 PM

Alright, so it's normal that I can still gain weight days after having eaten carbs? I never had that, I know that it can happen the very next day...but I've never had it happen like that. :)

Taxbane 02-15-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habakkuk (Post 16261298)
So, long story short: my main questions are the following.

1) is the gain I'm experiencing normal?
2) is it normal that Diet Coke / Diet Pepsi is causing such a gain?
3) should I simply go back to eating poultry & vegetables every day again? It's a bit boring by now.

It is probably okay. I myself can fluctuate up to about 5 lbs from day to day. A lot depends on water weight, food weight, fecal weight, etc...

(1) A lot of times if you are eating low enough carbs for a while, you will enter ketosis (which I think may be dangerous if you have Type "1" diabetes - so you have to monitor that with your doctor to minimize ketoacidosis risk). Assuming you were in ketosis, and then you knocked yourself out you could trigger water temprary water retention. Also if you ate more sodium than normal it could trigger water retention too.

(2) Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium, (diet soft drink sweetners) should be avoided or minimized at least IMO. I would try something like Zevia if you have a soda, which is sweetened with erythritol and stevia.

(3) Why not beef and pork too? Gotta keep eating the Veggies though. :)

Habakkuk 02-15-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxbane (Post 16261425)
It is probably okay. I myself can fluctuate up to about 5 lbs from day to day. A lot depends on water weight, food weight, fecal weight, etc...

(1) A lot of times if you are eating low enough carbs for a while, you will enter ketosis (which I think may be dangerous if you have Type "1" diabetes - so you have to monitor that with your doctor to minimize ketoacidosis risk). Assuming you were in ketosis, and then you knocked yourself out you could trigger water temprary water retention. Also if you ate more sodium than normal it could trigger water retention too.

(2) Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium, (diet soft drink sweetners) should be avoided or minimized at least IMO. I would try something like Zevia if you have a soda, which is sweetened with erythritol and stevia.

(3) Why not beef and pork too? Gotta keep eating the Veggies though. :)

That makes sense from a medical point of view. :)

I might drink a glass of Pepsi then, just to have a little variety - I like pork and beef but actually I like poultry a lot more. No real reason, just taste. Not that it's bad, I usually add onions and the usual vegetables. :)

Oh and if I might ask another question: what's the maximum amount of carbs / 100g you are aiming for? German food tends to have a lot of carbs and...well, yeah sometimes it's hard to dodge it. Especially if you like local food. ;)

princessmommy 02-15-2013 02:58 PM

When starting induction if you're going by Dr Atkins your carbs should be 20 carbs or less a day. Drinking water is best But the occasional diet drink should be ok. Just make sure you keep track of how many carbs you're eatting because they can add up fast

Dottie 02-15-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

I didn't even eat that much today, it was like 400g for lunch (porc & vegetables) and 200ml of soup / 3 eggs for dinner.
What vegetables?
What was in the soup?
Was the pork breaded?
You mentioned onions a few times. Onions are very carby and need to be limited, especially if you're not losing.

Habakkuk 02-16-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmommy (Post 16261491)
When starting induction if you're going by Dr Atkins your carbs should be 20 carbs or less a day. Drinking water is best But the occasional diet drink should be ok. Just make sure you keep track of how many carbs you're eatting because they can add up fast

Yep, that's what I'm doing right now. Maybe a sip or two every other day but that's it. The last time I did this sort of diet was after I had a surgery and got back into the gym to get ready for sports again - back then it didn't matter if I had a burger or not due to spending so much time in the gym. It's like getting back into an hold habit but still having different requirements nowadays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16261497)
What vegetables?
What was in the soup?
Was the pork breaded?
You mentioned onions a few times. Onions are very carby and need to be limited, especially if you're not losing.

Mixed vegetables. I can't go and get fresh vegetables every day (time constraints) so I tend to use a prepared (frozen) mix. Not perfect but not bad either. Carrots, peas, green beans - no onions or the likes.

Mushrooms. It was a pretty normal mushroom soup without any meat, wine or anything else. No bread in the soup or with the pork. :)

I know that onions are not too good but I don't use many. However, I keep trying to use spices instead recently, so that I can save those carbs as well.

Dottie 02-16-2013 11:42 AM

I'd go for a single veggie (broccoli, califlower, green beans) because peas and corn are starchy and sugary and high carbs. (corn is a grain, not a veg).
Mushroom soup is usually thickened with flour.
It can be tough to really get an idea of what all goes into prepared foods, but "simple is better" is a good way to start :)
Frozen veggies are fine, but mixed usually have things you want to avoid.

Taxbane 02-16-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habakkuk (Post 16261441)
Oh and if I might ask another question: what's the maximum amount of carbs / 100g you are aiming for? German food tends to have a lot of carbs and...well, yeah sometimes it's hard to dodge it. Especially if you like local food. ;)

When I do an induction I aim for 10 to 30 carbs, and after two weeks usually I up to about 30 to 50 carbs.

Hm. My knowledge is limited about German foods, but I think cabbage is a good choice, and saurkraut. All those sausages and brauts should be good too. Now I am hungry. :)

Other LC veggies: Brocolli, califlower, celery, spinach, asparagus, Kale/greens, rutabegas, jicama, broiled tomato slices, zucchini, green beans, cole slaw, romaine lettuce, edamame.

Habakkuk 02-16-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16262685)
I'd go for a single veggie (broccoli, califlower, green beans) because peas and corn are starchy and sugary and high carbs. (corn is a grain, not a veg).
Mushroom soup is usually thickened with flour.
It can be tough to really get an idea of what all goes into prepared foods, but "simple is better" is a good way to start :)
Frozen veggies are fine, but mixed usually have things you want to avoid.

I see but judging from the nutrition table on the back it shouldn't have lots of carbs - I usually check those before buying anything. Same for the soup. :)

I have green beans etc. at home but I like the variety. Might switch to the single ones from time to time tho, thanks for the hint. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxbane (Post 16262782)
When I do an induction I aim for 10 to 30 carbs, and after two weeks usually I up to about 30 to 50 carbs.

Hm. My knowledge is limited about German foods, but I think cabbage is a good choice, and saurkraut. All those sausages and brauts should be good too. Now I am hungry. :)

Other LC veggies: Brocolli, califlower, celery, spinach, asparagus, Kale/greens, rutabegas, jicama, broiled tomato slices, zucchini, green beans, cole slaw, romaine lettuce, edamame.

I see what I can do. Most traditional food from Germany contains lots of flour, so it's definitely not good. :)

zombiegoat2000 02-16-2013 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=Habakkuk;16262836]I see but judging from the nutrition table on the back it shouldn't have lots of carbs - I usually check those before buying anything. Same for the soup. :)

You got to be careful when eating starchy veg regardless unless your measuring portions because you can loose count fast.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:55 AM.