Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Slow weight loss and what I'm learning...

So, I began this journey of losing weight and getting healthier in January of 2011. When I started officially lowcarbing, I weighed in at 216lbs. Previously, I was 227 lbs, so I had already lost some weight, but I was feeling so unhealthy and sick I knew I needed to do something. In the first 2-3 months I immediately dropped 16 lbs. It was awesome! But then I stalled....for 18 months....with no change in diet. Of course, in my personal life, I was under a ton of stress. I also suffered from some pretty severe vitamin deficiencies. Complicated with that, I have hypothyroid and PCOS. So we moved, slowed our lives down, and I began exercising in October. I also increased my carb load because I wasn't feeling well eating 20 and under grams of carbs per day. I hypothesized that this was also causing a stress response, so I experimented and went up to 50g eating only non-processed carbs such as sweet potato and fruit. The combo of increasing my healthy carbs and weight training plus easy, slow cardio (ie hikes, yoga) has moved the scale, finally. I'm sleeping better, too, as well as feeling stronger overall. I think the point of this whole post, though, is that you have to experiment with what works for you and be patient with your body. I'm glad I've stuck it out. I follow a primal diet because I believe my body has dealt with enough trauma that I can't give it anything (ie artificial sweetners, etc) that doesn't come from nature. AND exercise has changed my life! Another thing I've learned! Hope you all are doing well in your journeys!!

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thanks for sharing, Julie. Your story is an excellent illustration of how we all need to experiment to see what works for each of us, and many of us need to be patient through stalls and slow periods. I'm glad that you are feeling so much better and doing well. Kudos to you for not giving up through an 18 month stall.

You might be interested in following the thread on the Perfect Health Diet under "Other Plans." The people posting there are very focused on eating natural foods and optimizing health, so I think you'd find them a simpatico group to discuss things with.

I hope you continue to get stronger and healthier every day.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
You might be interested in following the thread on the Perfect Health Diet under "Other Plans."
I was about to type this. The author Dr. Jaminet has written elsewhere that VLC (<25g) may be a good intervention step to get a person off SAD but it's not ideal for long-term insulin sensitivity compared to the 100g/20% energy range (slightly less than the body's utilization).

At least for non-diabetics, if someone is under 50g and not losing weight, it's probably not the carbs to blame. I know it's empowering to take control of a single number like carbs, but we tend to get tunnel vision and ignore all the other nutritional aspects.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Congrats on finding what works for you! You are doing great
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
Thanks!!!

It has really been eye opening to learn that patience and persistance is the key to gaining back my health. I will check out the other page. Thank you!!!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/189/150
WOE: Weight Watchers 360
Start Date: 2005...but Jan 2012 (3rd time)
Good for you Julie. I've found that after years of low carb it is not working for me anymore either so I've added back some good carbs (and some not so good ones I'm embarrassed to say ) but started watching my calories and have finally started losing slowly.....oh so slowly....but losing ....and enjoying my life more in the process. You are reinforcement to me that I have GOT to start exercising! I just can't find anything that I enjoy doing that is physical! I think if I had more spare time I might could but my life is in the busy season of children right now....at the end though....so maybe soon I can take care of me!!

This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psm 118:24

210 208 206 204 202 200 198 196 194 192 190 188 186 184 182 180 178 176 174 172 170 169 168 166 163 162 160 158 156

<--------My husband, sons and sweet dog!
leisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kriss
Stats: 145/142/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/3/14
Hard work pays off....slow and steady wins the race!!!
Wish I was more patient!!
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
I look at this way, when I lose weight slower or slowly I am more likely to keep if off more easily in the long run. I am also a slow loser, but have to change things up every so often to trick my body so that I can lose again. Sounds crazy, but that is just the way my body works, same with working out. I have to change it up every so often, or my body gets used to what I am doing and I will stop seeing the results I like. Good luck to you!
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/157/130
WOE: (80/15/5) keto family!
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
So, I began this journey of losing weight and getting healthier in January of 2011. When I started officially lowcarbing, I weighed in at 216lbs. Previously, I was 227 lbs, so I had already lost some weight, but I was feeling so unhealthy and sick I knew I needed to do something. In the first 2-3 months I immediately dropped 16 lbs. It was awesome! But then I stalled....for 18 months....with no change in diet. Of course, in my personal life, I was under a ton of stress. I also suffered from some pretty severe vitamin deficiencies. Complicated with that, I have hypothyroid and PCOS. So we moved, slowed our lives down, and I began exercising in October. I also increased my carb load because I wasn't feeling well eating 20 and under grams of carbs per day. I hypothesized that this was also causing a stress response, so I experimented and went up to 50g eating only non-processed carbs such as sweet potato and fruit. The combo of increasing my healthy carbs and weight training plus easy, slow cardio (ie hikes, yoga) has moved the scale, finally. I'm sleeping better, too, as well as feeling stronger overall. I think the point of this whole post, though, is that you have to experiment with what works for you and be patient with your body. I'm glad I've stuck it out. I follow a primal diet because I believe my body has dealt with enough trauma that I can't give it anything (ie artificial sweetners, etc) that doesn't come from nature. AND exercise has changed my life! Another thing I've learned! Hope you all are doing well in your journeys!!
I am seeing the same thing... I'm trying to focus on the overall picture, not just a number.. Considering all the years I abused my body I'm very happy that it is treating me so well!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
I agree with the slow and steady. Started seriously again in Sept at 191. Now at 182, but it has been no stress version.....just finding out what I can stick with.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote