Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Sick and the scale is climbing! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797202-sick-scale-climbing.html)

DressageLover 02-14-2013 08:09 PM

Sick and the scale is climbing!

I've had a cold this past week. I was fighting it the week before but ended up going through a box of tissues starting on Sunday. Despite eating and exercising exactly the same, the scale has been climbing all week. Much to my horror I was up 5 pounds as of this morning!
I did a little Google-ing about this and found that due to inflamation in the body, water is retained. It's kinda freakin me out as I actually feel fatter all over. I'm starting to feel better today but still congested and no "whoosh" yet. I really hope there's a whoosh. There's gotta be a whoosh. Right? :cry:

Has this happened to any of you?

When I have a flu, I typically lose weight, but I do recall gaining before with colds. I had to take Dayquil for about 4 days to deal with going to work. Perhaps that's at least part of the problem.

I could use some words of encouragement. I've been stalled for over 2 months so it's especially frustrating and scary to see my weight climb.

enna1477 02-14-2013 08:16 PM

It's water. And snot. Don't worry, your body will let it all go once you're back in the pink.

svenskamae 02-14-2013 09:34 PM

Drink lots of water--it may help flush out the retained water and help you get over your cold. I agree that this is temporary--so try not to get too upset and maybe stay off the scale until you are fully recovered.

Leo41 02-15-2013 02:06 AM

My body retains water whenever I am even slightly ill--and it holds onto it until I'm well.

My personal 'record' was once when I had a bad case of flu and retained 12 lbs of water for a week.

Even if I have a slight cold, I'll see 3-4 lbs on the scale that disappears when I'm better.

It's frustrating for those of us concerned with weight management, and that's why I think it's important for everyone to learn how his/her body responds in order not to 'freak out' unnecessarily because of the scale number.

Britt1975 02-15-2013 05:31 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you're sick, and I hope you feel better soon. Until then, drink lots of water. Your body is hanging on to fluid because you're fighting an infection, I'm sure you will see a difference in the scale once you're better.

DressageLover 02-15-2013 05:42 AM

Thank you. You are giving me hope!

I'm heading out on a trip today that involves at least 5 1/2 hours of driving. As much as I want a whoosh, I'm hoping it waits another day so I don't have to stop every 30 minutes.

I'll keep hanging in there.

cfine 02-15-2013 07:42 AM

My recommendation would be to stop exercising when you are sick in addition to the other things that have been recommended. Your body needs rest.

juliekaboolie 02-15-2013 10:16 AM

I gotta second cfine: stop exercising when you're sick unless you move gently as in stretching or yoga or slow walks...just to keep things circulating. You don't want to produce a stress response in your body. Don't worry about the scale. Keep eating healthy and resting and it will come off.

creseis 02-17-2013 07:05 AM

I think it's ok to do light exercise so long as you're not so sick it's making you worse. Sometimes it clears the sinuses for me. It is better not to make yourself worse though, so you have to judge that. I agree with everyone, drink water until you feel like you are going to float away! Or, beat the scale until it complies.

Kimberli33 03-07-2013 11:40 AM

I believe this to be true.I got a bad head cold about a week ago and the scale wont budge!!:(

cathlaur 03-07-2013 12:07 PM

That is weird. I have the horrible head cold to and was off work for several days and I dopped 4.5 pounds. I am eating 100% low carb, less food than when I am feeling well but I am also not walking. I guess our bodies are all different.

I hope you get better soon, I know this thing is driving me crazy
Katie

Kimberli33 03-07-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathlaur (Post 16302017)
That is weird. I have the horrible head cold to and was off work for several days and I dopped 4.5 pounds. I am eating 100% low carb, less food than when I am feeling well but I am also not walking. I guess our bodies are all different.

I hope you get better soon, I know this thing is driving me crazy
Katie

Did you take cold meds?

Mimosa23 03-08-2013 02:54 AM

How are you feeling today?

Hope things are better!

I would also recommend some nice chicken broth! It's a miracle food!!!!

cathlaur 03-08-2013 06:20 AM

I have lived on cold meds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still not feeling great!

SIGH

Katie