LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 263/259/145
WOE: JUDDD newbie
Start Date: 8/14/14
how to refuel?

Hi! So I've been doing a strength training fitness class a couple mornings a week. It's very challenging and I'm totally spent afterward to the point of feeling tired the rest of the day. So my question is what would be best to eat before and after to help with energy levels?
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
I don't see the need to eat something before, thats a SAD way of thinking.. "eat carbs before your workout to fuel you".. you don't need to eat anything before if you don't want to, because your body is used to burning fat for fuel and you won't crash during your workout.

After working out, I have a protein shake with added coconut oil. It gives me energy and mental clarity.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
As far as refueling, whey protein and L-glutamine would seem logical to me. I agree with the above poster about the pre workout meal. I can do just as well on an empty stomach as a full one. About your tiredness, I am of the opinion that we work out to feel good, not to feel bad. So if your workout is causing these problems, I would say ease off the throttle a little bit. Just my .02.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I mountain bike. I eat normally beforehand. Then midway thru my ride I drink a protein shot (about 2 cars or something and 100 calories) and it picks me up for the rest of my ride. Then after I have a protein shake with chia in it.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
In reality, it sounds like your routine is too much for you and perhaps you aren't adapted to low carb yet or your carb intake is too low for you. I cannot do very low carb and exercise too, I have to pick one. My strength training took a big hit when I started Akins. I have tried everything including wait 6 weeks to get ketoadapted, and that's all it comes down to is that my body wants just enough carbs, and overreacts if I have too much and underreacts if I have too little. So I upped my carbs and I don't feel as much like dying after a workout.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheechee View Post
Hi! So I've been doing a strength training fitness class a couple mornings a week. It's very challenging and I'm totally spent afterward to the point of feeling tired the rest of the day. So my question is what would be best to eat before and after to help with energy levels?
First, make sure you are eating enough through the day. When I was new to intense workouts I experienced something similar & was "diagnosed" with over-dieting - too few calories combined with too much exercise. I was told to increase my calories by 400! It helped.

Are you eating a good breakfast before your workouts? Make sure you are & include some virgin coconut oil in it. Coconut oil is used as energy by our bodies & is the perfect before-workout fuel.

You really should be fine after your workout till your next scheduled meal. If you want to add something a protein shake would be fine. But you should not find yourself drained all day after working out.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote