LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/02/2013
Started Exercising, Stopped Losing

I'm sure this has been asked and answered on here before and I tried to do a search but had no luck, so here it goes.

I have been consistently losing 1 - 2 pounds a week - which is awesome! I started exercising on Sunday and haven't lost anything this week. I'm not giving up on exercise and despite being EXTREMELY sore - I am actually having fun.

So, I am just curious:

Did anyone else stop losing when they started exercising and if so, how long did it take your body to adjust and start shedding pounds?

I look forward to reading your answers, hearing your stories and listening to advice!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYONE!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I am having this same "problem." The scale is not moving, but I am losing inches. I bought myself a pair of pants too small so I can tell that I'm still losing. The scale was driving me a little crazy so I knew I had to find something else to go by so I wouldn't lose heart.
What is probably happening is that your muscles are holding on to water.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Yes, I exercised Saturday and Sunday a couple of weeks ago and gained. I also ate a couple things I shouldn't have on Sunday (handful of popcorn and some 60% chocolate chips). I gained 5 lbs. and it took two weeks for me to get back to where I was. I haven't exercised again yet...I am too afraid...probably should get over the fear, because I know being healthy includes being fit.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
I'm exercising, counting carbs, and calories = not losing on the scale in last couple weeks. However, I can feel and see changes in my body. My arms aren't as jiggly, my stomach isn't as puffy, my legs feel firmer, and without being too tmi, my butt dimples are almost gone!
jijane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
There are only two ways that exercising can negatively impact weight loss.

1. Taubes warns about this one. Many people find that exercise stimulates their appetite, although they may not notice it consciously, and they eat more than they have been eating, thus canceling their caloric deficit.

2. When we stress muscles, there are microscopic tears that heal within 24 hours (which is why exercise physiologists warn against exercising the same muscles daily--they need 'recovery' time). The body holds water in the muscles to help healing, and it's this water retention that shows on the scale.

Avoid weighing the day after you've worked out if you can--or adjust to the fact that the scale may even show a slight increase because of this water retention.

I have always weighed weekly, and I weigh at least 24 hours after my last work out, and I've never had any 'stalls' related to exercise.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the responses. I haven't noticed any changes in my body yet (except for soreness). I will just keep going and see what happens. I took my measurements and plan on remeasuring in March. So we will see.
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/123/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
That's a common thing, remember your building muscle when exercising and muscle weighs more that fat. A good idea is to take your measurement when starting to exercise and you'll see inches fall of even though the scale stalls. When the body gets used to it you'll start losing again.
misty1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I've been adding in some light cardio in the mornings and trying to get in a brisk walk in the evening over the course of the last week or so - in the last three days I've gained .4, .4 and today .9 lbs. I haven't raised my carbs, my protein or my calories - but I also have a few other things working against me. I've lost almost 30 pounds in a month, I'm mid-cycle (ovulation), I've had 3 nights of less than 4 hours of sleep and I believe I may be hitting the post induction plateau that some people have mentioned - my body is just trying to adjust.

I feel good when I excercise, so I'm not going to quit - but I'm going to keep the excercise moderate for a little while until I start seeing losses again.

I think that I've been so sedentary for so long that my body is just freaking out right now, trying to figure out what's going on.
4th mini goal - 275 lbs
5th mini goal - weighing less than my husband

Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1028 View Post
That's a common thing, remember your building muscle when exercising and muscle weighs more that fat. A good idea is to take your measurement when starting to exercise and you'll see inches fall of even though the scale stalls. When the body gets used to it you'll start losing again.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post

I think that I've been so sedentary for so long that my body is just freaking out right now, trying to figure out what's going on.
Mine too!
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I've been working with a trainer since the first day I started Atkins -- doing heavy weight training workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and interval cardio on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. My trainer is a bodybuilding coach, so I work with VERY heavy weights (for my size and gender) -- I do some back exercises using 45 pound dumbbells.

I only weigh once per month -- and my trainer measures several points on my body on my monthly weigh-in day -- so I have no idea about the day-to-day or week-to-week fluctuations, BUT I have consistently lost pounds and inches each month. I'm currently on my ninth month of doing Atkins and workouts, and I'm down 62.5 pounds as of my last weigh-in. This rate doesn't seem to be as fast as a lot of the progress that I've seen from other Atkins dieters on the forum, so I wouldn't say that exercise has increased my rate of loss. But I don't think that I'm a fast loser, in general. I don't have a history of dieting. But I wasn't a fast gainer and so I don't think I'm a fast loser, if that makes sense...

In some months, the measurements have been really *weird*. At the end of my first month of diet and exercise, for example, both of my thighs were actually LARGER than when I started! Crazy, right?! My right thigh was 1/2" larger and my left thigh was an entire 1" larger. But I stayed consistent with the diet and exercise and, at my last weigh-in, my right thigh is 3.75" smaller than when I started, and my left thigh is 3.5" smaller. I had months where my waist measurement didn't change at all, and last month I lost 2" on my waist. It's just really weird and unpredictable! But I've found that just staying consistent and being true to the program I'm following eventually pays off, despite the ups and downs.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
For some people who are prone to adrenal fatigue, vigorous or extended exercise can spike cortisol and prevent weight loss. I fall into that category, so despite the fact that I enjoy vigorous cardio and resistence training, I've put such exercise aside for a while. Instead, I'm walking and doing yoga and other balance/stretching exercises for a while. YMMV, but it may be necessary to consider what endo challenges you face when picking the sort of exercise that is most consistent with weight loss for you.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post
I've been adding in some light cardio in the mornings and trying to get in a brisk walk in the evening over the course of the last week or so - in the last three days I've gained .4, .4 and today .9 lbs. I haven't raised my carbs, my protein or my calories - but I also have a few other things working against me. I've lost almost 30 pounds in a month, I'm mid-cycle (ovulation), I've had 3 nights of less than 4 hours of sleep and I believe I may be hitting the post induction plateau that some people have mentioned - my body is just trying to adjust.

I feel good when I excercise, so I'm not going to quit - but I'm going to keep the excercise moderate for a little while until I start seeing losses again.

I hear you on the confused body thing!! I have been faithfully (and OP may want to close their eyes!) working out for 5 months now, and am JUST NOW losing pounds again. The thing is, people at work have been saying "you've lost so much weight!" I say no, no I haven't. Sure enough, this week for the first time, I feel really strong, very limber and dare I say athletic, and I can see with my own eyes I'm much smaller. Only a matter of a few pounds..my work out has been 2 power yoga classes, a weight class, a pilates class, and 2 restorative (stretchy) yoga classes a week.

Also, OP, regarding soreness - if you keep challenging yourself, you may as well get used to permanent, slight soreness now. It may go away for a day or 2, but I'm often sore after certain classes, every single week, my trainer says she's almost always sore in some area and that it means we are challenging our muscles, it's good!

Last edited by Bobbin; 02-15-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Exercise is great...don't give up on it.
That being said, I think we need to separate exercise from weight loss.
they are two separate things.
Yes, they are both related to health but that is it.
We are conditioned to link the two because everywhere we turn some
so called 'health expert' is promoting the myth of "calories in / calories out"
for weight control, so they advocate exercise.
But they are wrong.
Exercise will tone up your muscles, and improve your mood.
I will enhance your quality of life.
Combine it with a sound low carb way of eating, and your on your way to
a healthier, happier, you.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Avid!!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
Exercise is great...don't give up on it.
That being said, I think we need to separate exercise from weight loss.
they are two separate things.
Yes, they are both related to health but that is it.
We are conditioned to link the two because everywhere we turn some
so called 'health expert' is promoting the myth of "calories in / calories out"
for weight control, so they advocate exercise.
But they are wrong.
Exercise will tone up your muscles, and improve your mood.
I will enhance your quality of life.
Combine it with a sound low carb way of eating, and your on your way to
a healthier, happier, you.
Well said sir!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote