LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: focus83
Stats: 316.5/292.25/285
WOE: 30g carbs or less
Start Date: 01/01/2013
How much salt is ok?

Is there a certain amount of salt that is ok to consume without gaining the lbs? I understand the gain might be temporary but i am just curious is there a rough guide figure that people choose to follow when it comes to salt. x
focus83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
I am not sure about a number, but I though there was a ratio to potassium that should be maintaned (may only apply to blood pressure - i don't remember). I think it is something like 4 to 1 Potassium to Sodium.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
As much as you crave is my advice. One of the things that has REALLY helped me (I've had major issues with dehydration) is not being the least bit afraid of salt.. Dr. Eades recommends salt, consuming broth.. etc. Basically don't be afraid to use it and you may find you actually need more than you think which was my case as I blacked out twice from low blood pressure/electrolyte loss..

From Eade's blog "you still need more sodium if you are starting out on or following a low-carb diet. It’s critically important that you get extra sodium. I can’t make this case too strongly." Google: proteinpower Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II

Also recently reading "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" has really driven that home... Salt is very important on a low carb diet for most..
Old 02-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I've never followed a guide as such. Not sure if there is one that would be a guideline for people on LC diets though.

I have a low BP, so I eat a bit more, and I like salt.

I notice when I don't eat enough I get headaches and muscle cramps at night. I don't overly salt things, I cook with salt and may add a pinch on my food as well. I think it's enough. The salt I use is mainly unbleached Atlantic Seasalt. It also has lots of minerals and is less salty, so I can have a bit more...

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kayellr
Stats: 5'5" 195/171/135
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 1/29/2013
According to '"The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" (must have reading IMO) if you are staying below 60 gms of carbohydrate per day, you should add 2-3 grams of sodium per day to your existing intake. For most people, that will bring them to 4-5 grams of sodium.

Note that sodium is different from salt. Ordinary table salt is @40% sodium.

Adding sodium, some extra potassium and magnesium has made all the difference for me in avoiding most/all of the symptoms of the dreaded low-carb flu.

Lots of great info on this in this thread: NK and Salt - You must have it!

Last edited by kayellr; 02-14-2013 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: add link to thread
kayellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
As some have already mentioned, I think it is really dependant on whether or not you are ketogenic. If you are ketogenic (less than 50g of carbs per day and for many - much less), then the recommendation is to be sure to be getting enough which I believe translates into about 2 tsp of regular table salt.

Salt in general has been unfairly characterized as' bad'. When you think about it, we cannot live without it. Gary Taubes wrote a very good article about this issue in the N.Y.T. - I am sure you could find it easily.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Gary Taubes wrote a very good article about this issue in the N.Y.T. - I am sure you could find it easily.
He sure did! Thanks for mentioning it Cathy. I hadn't read it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/op...anted=all&_r=0

Proponents of the eat-less-salt campaign tend to deal with this contradictory evidence by implying that anyone raising it is a shill for the food industry and doesn’t care about saving lives. An N.I.H. administrator told me back in 1998 that to publicly question the science on salt was to play into the hands of the industry. “As long as there are things in the media that say the salt controversy continues,” he said, “they win.”

Wow!! How sadly typical of the way contradictory information is suppressed.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
In my opinion the only way to tell is if I am bloated the next morning...If I retain water from the previous day I will go over what I ate and drank and try to remember if I added additional salt. I will then try not to add salt or consume the same products all in the same day again...I love salt and have had this happen very few times while eating this way...it's probably gonna be a different amount for each person. If you are getting leg cramps or nausea you probably need to increase sodium and potassium but the amounts will vary per individual.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
In my opinion the only way to tell is if I am bloated the next morning...If I retain water from the previous day I will go over what I ate and drank and try to remember if I added additional salt. I will then try not to add salt or consume the same products all in the same day again...I love salt and have had this happen very few times while eating this way...it's probably gonna be a different amount for each person. If you are getting leg cramps or nausea you probably need to increase sodium and potassium but the amounts will vary per individual.
I was NOT on Atkins at the time, but my BP was up into prehypertension level. I did not want to ever go on medication for high BP and simply cut way back on salt to see if that would help - and it did! And immediately.

Just be careful with this talk of eating so much salt. I think lterry913 has it right. Also when I read threads of folks doing Atkins Induction and they're complaining about weight gains and showing what they are eating - high salt snacks, I understand why.

As a result of my experience, I am NOT a lover of lots of salt. I do use Mortons Lite Salt which also has potassium.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
I was NOT on Atkins at the time, but my BP was up into prehypertension level. I did not want to ever go on medication for high BP and simply cut way back on salt to see if that would help - and it did! And immediately.

Just be careful with this talk of eating so much salt. I think lterry913 has it right. Also when I read threads of folks doing Atkins Induction and they're complaining about weight gains and showing what they are eating - high salt snacks, I understand why.

As a result of my experience, I am NOT a lover of lots of salt. I do use Mortons Lite Salt which also has potassium.
I would never doubt your experience - you know what is what when it comes to your body.

The important thing that needs to not get lost is that when in a ketogenic state, the kidneys function a bit differently and there is a diuretic effect that can and does flush electrolytes from the system. This is the general cause of 'induction flu'. It is important to replace these with salt from whatever source.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
I understand that a percentage of the population--25% sticks in my mind--is sodium-sensitive. The rest of us shouldn't have to worry much about it.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOhNine View Post
I understand that a percentage of the population--25% sticks in my mind--is sodium-sensitive. The rest of us shouldn't have to worry much about it.
Could be. Could also be that I'm older and it just caught up with me. Enough to scare me.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I have read omitting salt in those with high blood pressure only lowers the bp an average of 4 percent...might have been Taubes who wrote this...not sure I have read so many books I can't remember...maybe someone else can help with this...sorry about your bp scare sharss.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I have read omitting salt in those with high blood pressure only lowers the bp an average of 4 percent...might have been Taubes who wrote this...not sure I have read so many books I can't remember...maybe someone else can help with this...sorry about your bp scare sharss.
On 9/7/2012 BP 144/92
Didn't write date down, but few days after first time: BP 150/80
9/19/2012 BP 118/62
10/7/2012 BP 124/62

I just cut back on salt, looking at salt content of all foods. Like I said, lterry, I'm older so maybe that was the reason for the high BP, but it sure made me jump into action and that's the action that worked for me. So far I've made it in life without any meds so happy I can still say that.

Sorry if I gave an unnecessary warning, but OTOH, the same thing might happen to someone else and they have this info under their belt.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Sharss, I think you are spot on. Just like there are people who are fine eating carbs, there may be people who go seriously hypertensive with salt. When Taubbes speaks, he talks about multi-participant studies, but we are all individuals and we may all interact differently to different nutritional inputs.

As I've read Taubbes and others, what I came away with is that I need to know myself. I need to experiment and find what works and doesn't work, and that starts with being aware. Blindly following any advice, whether it is here, from the USDA or from Dr Atkins is not a healthy recipe.

(Though I've come to the feeling that for me, doing the opposite of what the government says I ought to may be the most healthy thing I can do for myself. That's why I don't exercise. )
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: focus83
Stats: 316.5/292.25/285
WOE: 30g carbs or less
Start Date: 01/01/2013
Thanks for all your post everyone. I am not going to go salt mad even though i do love the stuff however i am not going to be afraid of it either. Just see what woulds best for me and if it affects the scales i should realise its only temporary fake gain anyway.
focus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I think it's worth pointing out that not all salt is the same. I only use Real Salt. It still has all of the trace minerals in it. White salt is not good for you.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus83 View Post
Thanks for all your post everyone. I am not going to go salt mad even though i do love the stuff however i am not going to be afraid of it either. Just see what woulds best for me and if it affects the scales i should realise its only temporary fake gain anyway.
Sounds like a good plan. This works for me as well. I was adding extra salt for a few weeks and at a doctor visit my blood pressure was the highest ever, even though I had lost 20 lbs, though have not been diagnosed with high blood pressure. My dad is a salt-senstivite hypertensive so I probably inherited it from him (along with my other bad genes, LOL). As with everything else, there is not a one-size-fits-all solution. I do use high quality salt as much as possible, such as Real Salt or other sea salts.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote