LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Giving up wheat

Of all the things I've tried, going completely wheat-free has made the most positive impact of my health. I fought this, because I have always loved bread-even LC bread. But, after reading Wheat Belly and going completely wheat free I no longer have carb cravings, joint pain has decreased dramatically, brain fog cleared up, sleep better, more energy, better mood.
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
It's amazing isn't it? Congratulations, because it isn't easy but is oh-so good for you!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I know the feeling. Even when I experiment with carb levels, I hold a red line against wheat stuff. The last one I ate was some sprouted sourdough my roommate baked and I actually felt fine afterward, but 99% of the available wheat products are worthless.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kitnmom
Stats: 235/198/160ish again
WOE: Atkins, Love that man!
Start Date: September 15, 2003
makes a huge difference in the way i feel!
kitnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Totally agree! I eat wheat now and oh mama i'm in for stomach and GI pains and bloating. So not worth it!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I agree completely. I think it makes the biggest difference of all of the things we stop eating. Yeah, no more brain fog, make that no more grain-brain fog.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I accidentally ate some yesterday in a gumbo and I couldn't believe how fast I became ill. I have asthma type symptoms and I haven't had mucus or difficulty breathing in at least a couple of years. Wheat is not the same as we grew up with. Unfortunately, neither are many other grains.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanCA
Stats: 146/139/134.2 - 5'3", small frame, 60yrs
WOE: Inspired by Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat..."
Start Date: June 2012
I just got the sample book on my e-reader. I'm thinking of trying it, too. I'm a picky eater anyway on low carb so I'm not sure if this will work. I want to finish the book first though.
JanCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Being wheat free is great, I hear you!!!!

I had to stop eating wheat as I am allergic. I kept eating it anyway (addiction, much????) and had eczema, stuffed nose, runny nose, itchy scalp, headaches, heartburn, indigestion, candida etc etc.

Not eating wheat has helped my symptoms so much that they have practically all disappeared (dealing with last remnants of eczema on my face). I am a non wheat eater for life.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
are the benefits from wheat alone, as opposed to

oats, rye, or any other grain, regular or low carb version? Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Personally, I stay away from all types of grains, just for a personal preference. I tried including non wheat grains, but for me it's a slippery slope and before I know it I'm suffering again because I'm allowing myself that one bite... I'm an all or nothing kind of person!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
oats, rye, or any other grain, regular or low carb version? Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
I believe wheat is a 'stand alone' in terms of it's negative aspects to the human body and we are talking about the wheat found here in north america. Other grains are problematic as well but not for the very same reasons. One would be wise to eliminate wheat at very least for a couple of weeks and see the difference it makes.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lynnport
Wheat free 9 months tomorrow! I'll NEVER go back!
lynnport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Just want to point out that for some people, they see such an improvement from going off of wheat because of the gluten in it. Oats, rye, barley, and spelt all have gluten so it would be wise to test the waters slowly with these grains to see how you feel.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
Of all the things I've tried, going completely wheat-free has made the most positive impact of my health. I fought this, because I have always loved bread-even LC bread. But, after reading Wheat Belly and going completely wheat free I no longer have carb cravings, joint pain has decreased dramatically, brain fog cleared up, sleep better, more energy, better mood.
I could have written this. I feel like $1mm bucks wheat free. Not low carb right now as I am trying to get a handle on the wheat issue (and gluten-free is WAY high carb), but once I get it figured out - look out! The remaining weight will fall off. I just know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I know the feeling. Even when I experiment with carb levels, I hold a red line against wheat stuff. The last one I ate was some sprouted sourdough my roommate baked and I actually felt fine afterward, but 99% of the available wheat products are worthless.
The organics store told me this as well. If you aren't celiac (me, just wheat sensitive/allergy/whatever), "sprouted" grains are not an irritant. Of course at $16 a loaf of bread, I would expect no less. Heh.

I'll dabble a bit with sprouted grains once I have a firm grasp on wheat-free + low carb. Two weeks ago I ordered 2 plain beef patties from Wendy's, which they served in a baked potato container on a lettuce leaf and I was doubled over with indigestion for 48 or so hours - so I am only eating what I cook from home for now. I was warned that no-wheat leads to even more wheat sensitivity, and I believe it.

Thanks for the confirmation on sprouted grains. Good to hear that from someone with no vested interest in selling them to me.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
i agree that going wheat free is great, but I dropped all the other grains at about the same time. The benefits are noticeable within days.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
I dropped all the other grains as well, except whole corn (on the cob style) and it is high carb, so it would be a rare thing if ever. I agree that the benefits show up almost immediately. And it's not just about gluten. Today's modern GMO wheat has more bad things going on to ruin your health.
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I agree that many of the health benefits of dropping grains have nothing to do with gluten.
I have never had any problems with gluten, but dropping grain has been the best dietary change I ever made.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
One of the many LC advantages for me. I was just thinking last night that my nagging heel pain has all but vanished now that I'm a few days back into the clean eating groove.
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ma Bailey
WOE: Atkins and Organic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
This is unbelievable...I gave up wheat a week ago and it sounds like everything I am experiencing...or not experiencing. I feel 100% better all over.
I was one of those that thought people that thought wheat was "the problem" must be nuts....NOPE, it is true. I am going to pick up the book you mentioned and see what the connection is. Thanks for posting this!! And I hope you (and I) have continued success >^.,.^<
Ma Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #22
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
You gave up wheat specifically or all grains? I could do without wheat but not all grains. Just wondering.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ma Bailey
WOE: Atkins and Organic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
You gave up wheat specifically or all grains? I could do without wheat but not all grains. Just wondering.
I, myself, gave up anything made with wheat flour. I don't eat many other grains now that I am back on lowcarb.
I am amazed at the way I feel. Every symptom that LadySilverPatch said she had was exactly what I felt but add headaches to that also.
I am up at 4;30am every morning feeding my "zoo" and before, I would go right back to bed...now I am up for the rest of the day and ready to go. I've convinced my DH to try this for at least one week. >^.,.^<
Ma Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bettycooker
Stats: 189/154/140
WOE: gluten free
Start Date: January 2012
Giving up wheat is the way to drop the weight and be pain free. One year for me now. The heartburn and reflux problems were solved within days of being weight free. Going low carb and no grains = loss of 30 pounds in the past year. I still bake with coconut flour and almond flour once in awhile. Wish more people would give it a try.
bettycooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
There may not be a magic pill for good health but eliminating wheat sure worked like one for me.

I also eliminated other grains because they offer no health benefits and are also mostly GMO.

I've gotten pretty picky about what I eat; most everything has to pass the "good for my health" test. Eating this way helps me feel good & has the nice side effect of melting the fat away.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettycooker View Post
The heartburn and reflux problems were solved within days of being weight free.
Ditto, I just assumed that reflux was normal after eating until I figured this out.

I guess dropping wheat is still considered a radical step. Every single work function I attend is pizza, sandwiches, muffins, cookies, etc. Every restaurant menu is "...served on a giant bun" or "...wrapped in a giant tortilla". Last time I ate a Five Guys burger with knife and fork people looked at me like I was a space alien.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
i am finding more and more people are jumping on this bandwagon! its hard sometimes toough. But my DH is T2, and i made him read Wheat Belly. After 2 chapters he was convinced. His blood sugar is dropping every day! So it makes it so much easier for me when we BOTH are skipping it in restaurants etc.

it just works.
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Quote:
Last time I ate a Five Guys burger with knife and fork people looked at me like I was a space alien.
I know just what you mean. When I go out to eat, the staff always reacts as if I'm the only person they've ever seen who doesn't eat grains or sugar.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Ditto, I just assumed that reflux was normal after eating until I figured this out.

I guess dropping wheat is still considered a radical step. Every single work function I attend is pizza, sandwiches, muffins, cookies, etc. Every restaurant menu is "...served on a giant bun" or "...wrapped in a giant tortilla". Last time I ate a Five Guys burger with knife and fork people looked at me like I was a space alien.
At first the issue for me was, "What would I eat at special occasions, work related dinners, etc?" . Now, after reading and practicing Perfect Health Plan, I realize what Dr. Jaminet's reasoning is that rice is truly the only safe grain.

From his site...
Quote:
One reason wheat gliadin is so disruptive to the body is that it binds strongly to sugars. The average molecule of wheat gliadin is bound to 1 to 2 molecules of glucose and 2 molecules of sialic acid, another sugar. [2] Since a lot of human molecules have sialic acid residues, gliadin can bind to them.

One of the sialic acid-containing molecules gliadin binds to is called GM1 ganglioside. This molecule is found on the intestinal brush border, but it is also found in nerves. When wheat binds to GM1 ganglioside on the intestinal surface, it induces the formation of auto-antibodies that attack the ganglioside in nerves. In 65% of patients with gluten sensitivity and peripheral nerve damage, anti-ganglioside antibodies are found. [2]

Conclusion

Wheat could be a concealed cause of many food allergies, through WGA’s adjuvant activity. If so, then many food allergies may gradually disappear after wheat is given up.

Wheat proteins can also bind to an extraordinarily large number of human proteins, in part by binding to sialic acid or other carbohydrate residues of glycoproteins or glycolipids, and has a chance to induce antibody formation against many of those proteins.

The bewildering array of ways in which wheat can trigger attacks on human tissue makes it impossible to identify all the wheat-caused diseases. The only thing we can say for sure is that if you have a disease, it’s a good idea to give up wheat. You may give up your illness at the same time.
Also, for those of us with thyroid issues...

Quote:
Known Wheat-Derived Auto-Antibodies

In the book we talk about the role of gluten in creating auto-antibodies that attack tissue transglutaminase (tTg), a human enzyme that is abundant in the thyroid and gut. This leads to Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and celiac disease.

However, wheat can generate auto-antibodies to other human molecules besides tTg. These include:

Collagens I, III, V, and VI. tTG catalyzes the cross linking of gliadin peptides with interstitial collagen types I, III, and VI, leading to formation of antibodies against collagen. Celiac disease patients have been found to have circulating auto-antibodies to collagens I, III, V, and VI. [1]
Synapsin I. Synapsins are a family of proteins regulating neurotransmitter release at synapses. By forming antibodies against wheat gliadin in animals, and then immunoprecipitating human proteins with these antibodies, investigators found that antibodies to wheat gliadin bind strongly to synapsin I. Anti-wheat antibodies from celiac disease patients bind to human synapsin I. [2]

Other known targets of wheat-generated auto-antibodies include gangliosides, actin, calreticulin and desmin. [3,4]

Last edited by sunday; 02-16-2013 at 09:55 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Honestly, I think the only tough part is thinking about giving up wheat & grains.

Once eliminated I felt so good I was not even tempted to have some on occasion. I know I can make bread products using flax seed meal, coconut flour and/or almond meal but I very rarely do.

It has come as a surprise but I don't miss that kind of thing & it is not at all tempting to be around people eating it either.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 02-16-2013 at 09:59 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote