Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Do you ever go through times when nothing sounds good?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797129-do-you-ever-go-through-times-when-nothing-sounds-good.html)

Kimberli33 02-13-2013 03:17 PM

Do you ever go through times when nothing sounds good??

:stars:I'm really struggling to eat enough.Everything sounds :sick:.I'm not sick or anything...:dunno:It worries me a little...How can I do this successfully if i dont want to eat at all.:confused:

trishthedish 02-13-2013 03:34 PM

Sometimes ketosis brings nausea. I have experienced that feeling too. For some reason, the only thing I could manage when I felt that way was cheese. Try eating a cheese stick or just a bit of protein (like chicken tenders).

It does pass.

daisyHair 02-13-2013 03:47 PM

Yes ketosis can sometimes do that to me too. I have never really discovered why sometimes I am nauseous and sometimes not. I suspect its the concentration of ketones in your system.

I am not one who thinks you have to eat when you are not hungry.. your hunger will come back soon enough.

I think cheese is a good idea.. I can't get anywhere near an egg when I feel that way. Cheese is a good high fat choice.

Kimberli33 02-13-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyHair (Post 16257891)
Yes ketosis can sometimes do that to me too. I have never really discovered why sometimes I am nauseous and sometimes not. I suspect its the concentration of ketones in your system.

I am not one who thinks you have to eat when you are not hungry.. your hunger will come back soon enough.

I think cheese is a good idea.. I can't get anywhere near an egg when I feel that way. Cheese is a good high fat choice.

Ya,eggs sound :sick: right now.lol...GREEK don't sound half bad though:D

snowmop 02-13-2013 05:07 PM

Yes. Frequently.

Julie1972 02-13-2013 06:14 PM

I tend to lean towards something sweet when I feel like that (which is less often the longer I stay on the diet). I will eat a tbsp of peanut butter, SF jello w/HWC or low carb cheesecake. Those tend to help me the most. Maybe try a protein shake? Good luck and hope you stay strong through it!

nolcjunk 02-13-2013 06:20 PM

During times like that I just eat for fuel. Food doesn't have to sound great every time and you don't have to be looking forward to it. You have to eat to keep your body going so go for quick meals that give you the nutrition you need.

it's ok to eat less sometimes if you don't feel like it. I wouldn't go days and days without eating but a day is fine if you drink enough water and some broth to keep hydrated. You will feel it- when your body gets hungry enough you won't be that picky.

creseis 02-13-2013 07:46 PM

yes .. like right now

flappa1016 02-13-2013 08:37 PM

I've never gotten nauseous, but every few weeks I go through a period of a day or two where I just don't want to eat. Nothing appeals to me. I just tell my husband to pick the dinner and then I eat whatever he wants, or I grab a handful of nuts or a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or almond butter. I'm more concerned about the days when I feel like a bottomless pit and I can't stop eating . . . .

Spanilingo 02-13-2013 11:47 PM

I think it's a normal body cycle! It would seem silly that your body would need the same fuel and type of food each day....and given you may already have extra fuel (body fat) OF COURSE your body might just not have to eat. While I do NOT JUDD as a choice, I think I naturally Judd (just not as a frequent pattern).

I second eating the broth BTW. Especially if you are drinking a lot of water and not hungry for a couple days.

domin8trx 02-14-2013 12:08 AM

I have felt both ways as well - one week I can't even think of eating another egg or even a burger (:eek: so I have been using a little PB to give me a boost without many carbs and something I really enjoy the taste of.

Then another week I'll have a day where I can't seem to stop being hungry. I mean I could eat - and eat - and eat - well you get the picture. And then I wonder how bad that is going to look on the scale in the morning so I hate it even more.

I don't know if anyone has or is trying intermittent fasting but I have been trying to do it one day a week (most weeks I've been successful) and, although I don't know that it helped with weight loss, I did get my appetite back much quicker when I hadn't eaten a thing for 24 hours. :o

creseis 02-14-2013 02:50 AM

I have started to do low calorie days, like 1000 kcal, on rest days and days when I have easy workouts and it seems to help

Kimberli33 02-14-2013 05:08 AM

Well,Im glad im not alone.I think part of it,for me,anyways is food has become fuel...and thats not something im use to.
Im use to comfort food.Im use to overeating because I like the taste,texture,experience.I dont have that same feeling with LC food and it just seems odd to me.To only eat because my stomach is truely complaining is a new thing.

Bobbin 02-14-2013 05:53 AM

I don't have a problem with nausea in ketosis, but I do know how you feel. Sometimes I get sick of the same ole' foods all the time, nothing sounds good, I've had too many egg and meat dishes in a row. Usually then I just won't eat anything until I am hungry enough that the foods I'm allowed DO sound good, lol! I'll get something different like BBQ, or a big salad, something out of the ordinary. For me, most often that voice telling me I'm tired of the food, or I don't like the food anymore, is my whiner voice that wants a cookie.

LoriAS 02-14-2013 06:05 AM

I have this issue also. I think a key to succeeding in this WOE is using these times as a learning experience and taking a mentally note of what successfully (and happily) gets you through it.

OT: What kind of PB do you all use. I've not been able to find any natural that I like and am not willing to do the full sugar ones. Suggestions would be great.

1sweettea1 02-14-2013 06:05 AM

Yes, yes, yes! On those days I just drink an EAS protein drink as a meal and forget about cooking/foraging.
I try to avoid the kitchen when I'm like that so I won't have negative thoughts about going in there (if that makes sense).

Seems to do the trick without turning me into a prowling zombie.

Kimberli33 02-14-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbin (Post 16258612)
I don't have a problem with nausea in ketosis, but I do know how you feel. Sometimes I get sick of the same ole' foods all the time, nothing sounds good, I've had too many egg and meat dishes in a row. Usually then I just won't eat anything until I am hungry enough that the foods I'm allowed DO sound good, lol! I'll get something different like BBQ, or a big salad, something out of the ordinary. For me, most often that voice telling me I'm tired of the food, or I don't like the food anymore, is my whiner voice that wants a cookie.

LOVE the last sentence...I got one of those too.:laugh:

mountaingirl30 02-15-2013 05:24 PM

I never want to eat and I struggle to get in 1000 calories a day. I should be eating 1800. For me, nausea is my body telling my brain to go stuff itself... literally, EAT SOMETHING NOW. The nausea is gone halfway through a meal and doesn't return until my body (I presume) is starving again. All the while my brain has decided I don't need to have food anymore.

zombiegoat2000 02-15-2013 07:12 PM

I love not being a slave to my hunger and if im not hungry I don't eat plain and simple. It's make grocery shopping a pain sometimes but I love it.

JanetA 02-16-2013 05:09 AM

LoriAS,
Meijer brand peanut butter has one ingredient on the label, "peanuts". I store it in the refrigerator upside down and never have to stir it after the first time. I also make my own. Put a pound of peanuts in the food processor for three minutes. Add nothing. Done!

DiamondDeb 02-16-2013 10:06 AM

I don't think I've ever had a time when nothing sounded good.

I do often not feel like cooking anything though. lol... Unfortunately, I live alone so no one else is going to get my meals for me. Where is that full-time chef when you need him? :laugh: