Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   eating low carb for acid reflux (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797088-eating-low-carb-acid-reflux.html)

shayd2000 02-13-2013 07:29 AM

eating low carb for acid reflux

Hi Im new here I have had issues with acid reflux for a few years. I have controled my symptoms with zantac 75 night and day. I was able to eat anything till september when I started getting reflux with everything I ate. So I started eating all carbs because I read somewere this helps but I have only gotten worse. I ended up with a very inflamed esophugas so the doctor put me on protonix and a few other that I had such bad side effects on. Ive been on them a week so far but I hate the side effects. So Im just staying on them till I heal up but I know I need to change my diet. All those carbs are just making me worse so I would like to start LC but I dont even know were to begin. I have some food intolerances I cant do cheese or milk and alot of nuts I have trouble with. I can do some seeds and nuts if there oven roasted. Im also wondering with all my food intolerances mabey I have issues with wheat too and thats why im have all these acid issues. So anyone out there that LC has helped with your acid reflux I would love to know the changes you have made and what you eat.

daisyHair 02-13-2013 07:43 AM

It sure cured mine and I have a hiatal hernia.
You can read SO MUCH on line about LC helping acid reflux.

Give it a shot. Good luck and Welcome to Low Carb Friends! :welcome:

reddarin 02-13-2013 07:43 AM

Read Wheat Belly.

I used to be plagued with hearburn and occasional acid reflux. After going wheat-free and LC I haven't taken a heartburn pill in a year I think. I used to take them daily and I always had a bottle of zantac type stuff with me everywhere I went.

Read Why We Get Fat for a good foundation on LC.

Read The Art and Science of Low Carb Living for more information on LC.

But go wheat-free today. Right now.

Oh, watch the Fat Head movie. There is an authorized version on Youtube:

:)

facelessnumber 02-13-2013 08:09 AM

I had terrible reflux for a long time. Up until about six months ago it was Zantac twice a day just to take the edge off, Tums several times a day and God forbid I should eat anything spicy. (Which sucks, because I love spicy food.)

Low carb eating put and end to it quick. I haven't needed any form of antacid or hearburn remedy since I started.

Ladysilverpatch 02-13-2013 08:14 AM

DO LC TODAY if you want relief-fast relief. Those meds all have side effects. My husband was just like you, since LC has no problem at all-ever. Eats LOTS of spicy foods. I had problems, no longer. Yes, read Wheat Belly. This is the answer you've been looking for-and a great life plan for other health issues.

reddarin 02-13-2013 08:21 AM

Something to be aware of after chronic use of acid reducers like zantac is that your stomach may have become conditioned to have low acid levels.

It should recover to normal after some period of time but the immediate effect is that when you eat high fat and/or moderate protein (even if you are totally wheat-free) you may experience heartburn, indigestion and even acid reflux.

That is right, *low* stomach acid can produce the symptoms you've been experiencing on your high carb way of eating.

If that happens, you eat and get heartburn or the meal sits like a rock high up, take about a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar diluted in a glass of water. If you feel better the problem was indeed low stomach acid.

Google 'low stomach acid apple cider vinegar'.

PassionateFire 02-13-2013 08:26 AM

My reflux went away after less than a week on low carb & came back immediately after eating off plan on a recent vacation (it's since gone again though).

Bamboozled 02-13-2013 08:34 AM

Husband gets terrible acid reflux/heartburn. Eating low carb has helped him BUT he still gets heartburn, mostly when he eats onions or tomatoes. It's taken him years to change his diet so I try not to push him too hard but he really needs to stop eating that stuff.

Strangely enough I never used to get heartburn and now on LC I get it very mildly once in awhile.

piratejenny 02-13-2013 08:54 AM

Changing your diet should help, possibly within a few days.
I second the suggestion to have something acidic with or after your meal, to help digestion.
Water with fresh lemon or lime juice can be more palatable than vinegar. :)
Digestive enzymes and Betaine HCL are good, too.

I had extremely bad acid reflux for a long time. I found something that fixed it really quick--bentonite clay. If you go to Amazon and look up the NOW Foods brand, I wrote a review (same user name as here) in which I include instructions on how I used it (PS--as well as some warnings. It's *very* absorbent and could cause choking or constipation if used improperly). It truly seemed to "fix" the problem, as well as soothe the irritation in my throat.

Even though low-carb has helped my acid reflux, some things still set it off--wheat and diet soda, especially...even more so if I have them close to bedtime. Spending more time standing (rather than sitting) seems to lessen it, too, if I feel it coming on.

Taxbane 02-13-2013 08:57 AM

Prior to Low carb, I was developing GERD/Acid Reflux. It got bad after a big meal (heartburn), and there were even worse episodes where I would be awoken in the middle of the night from stomach acid getting out into my throat or up my nose. It was Horrible. I started treating with pepcid OTC, but never got around to going to the doctor. Why?

Because at about the same time my GERD was getting worse, I had started eating low carb. At the time, I didn't know that Low carb had any benefit for GERD/Reflux, and I was just doing Low Carb to lose weight. About 2-3 months into low low carb, I realized I was no longer having any acid reflux or heartburn issues at all. In fact, I couldn't remember having any episodes since I had started low carb. Then I did some research and found low carb helps GERD/Reflux. Wish I had know earlier. Also, when I cheat on my low carb way of eating, I will sometimes, but not always get heartburn/acid reflux the evening of the cheat depending on how much volume of carbs I eat.

As far as what I eat on low carb, durring induction I limit to about 20-30 net carbs, and maintenance is below 100 net carbs for me. Also try to eat smaller meals and more of them, so I space out the carbs to no more than 15 per 2 hour window.

I'm lucky and don't have any food allergy/intolerances so I eat lots of meat (Chicken, Bacon, Hamburger, and Pork). I eat lots of dark green veggies (broccoli, spinach, zuchinni, green beans, Romaine, Asparagus. I do cheese too, but no milk (too many carbs).

Also, I notice that drinking soda (regular or diet) seems to make the reflux worse. I don't drink that stuff any more! I dunno if is the carbonation and/or the phosphoric acid or what, but eliminating that stuff helps too.

Also, I noticed that not drinking a beverage with my meals helped. Usually waiting half hour to hour after a meal before drinking water etc...

Britt1975 02-13-2013 10:11 AM

I've had acid reflux on and off for more than 10 years - every so often it would get really bad and I would take a course of omeprazole and prilosec and then I'd be better for a few months - but it never really went away, just became tolerable. Since I started low carb I have not had a single occurance of heart burn or acid reflux. No embarrasing belching at work - no sleepless night with agonizing chest pressure and pain - it's been an absolute miracle to my way of life.

I will say that I do drink quite a bit of apple cider vinegar throughout the day - approximately 4 tablespoons per gallon of water.

shayd2000 02-14-2013 06:42 AM

Thank you for all your suggestions I started last night. Im still have horrible heart burn after eating I know its not going to happen over night I just want some releif but how long do you think it will take to see some results. I will get the books you have recommended I look forward to reading them. I went to my GI doctor yesterday and he was pretty much not much else he can do for me so I feel like I need to figure this out on my own. Im praying this helps

reddarin 02-14-2013 07:07 AM

Pretty fast I think. For me, I noticed it when I realized that I'd forgotten to take my vitamins for a day or two because they were beside the antacids and aspirin that I was previously constantly reaching for.

JessieBear 02-14-2013 07:46 PM

As mentioned above, take the wheat out of your diet for 2 weeks and see if that helps. Its a pain (wheat is in most everything) but for some of us, immediate relief came within 72 hours.

Bamboozled 02-15-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayd2000 (Post 16258749)
Thank you for all your suggestions I started last night. Im still have horrible heart burn after eating I know its not going to happen over night I just want some releif but how long do you think it will take to see some results. I will get the books you have recommended I look forward to reading them. I went to my GI doctor yesterday and he was pretty much not much else he can do for me so I feel like I need to figure this out on my own. Im praying this helps

Two weeks, but probably in the first few days you will notice a difference. I think your stomach has to get used to this new way of eating then you will see results.

I really hope it offers you some relief and I truly believe it will.

astribling 02-15-2013 09:23 AM

My story is the same as most of these posted. I had terrible heartburn and reflux. Was taking generic prilosec daily. I cut out wheat and within a week I was off the meds!

MaryMary 02-16-2013 01:25 PM

Mine went away within 10-14 days. Your mileage may vary but it will deinitely help.

I am surprised more doctors don't recommend this to treat the illness.

coffeelover 02-18-2013 05:56 AM

I also suffered from heartburn and acid reflux. I have a hiatal hernia. It pretty much cleared up after a week on Atkins. I think I got the best results from eliminating sweets (chocolate, donuts, etc.), milk, fruit and juice. I've only had one minor episode of heartburn since I started and it was after drinking several Diet Cokes in a restaurant. Carbonated beverages are a known trigger for me so I'm working on cutting back on them, though a single DC is fine and doesn't give me symptoms.

Just Russ 02-25-2013 03:24 PM

Every other diet I tried... I got hungery & my acid reflux would start... anti-acids only do so much. Eventually, I'd reach a point when I'd do anything to get rid of the pain... so I'd eat & was off whatever diet. With Atkins 72, I never got heartburn / acid reflux so i could stay on it.

I've been eating sloppy... recently the acid refux has been back... sometimes waking me from sleep. I'd have to take Gaviscon & sleep in a chair. I'm looking forward to losingthe acid again.

Jigsaw 02-25-2013 06:01 PM

I used to get heartburn a couple of times a week, now, none. My husband who has been on acid reflux pills for years no longer needs them eating low carb. I hope that the same thing happens with you :) give us an update in a few weeks and let us know how it is going! Welcome! :hiya:

mamasooze 02-26-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astribling (Post 16260931)
My story is the same as most of these posted. I had terrible heartburn and reflux. Was taking generic prilosec daily. I cut out wheat and within a week I was off the meds!

Had it all my life! Waking in night, 2-3 "once-a-day" tablets. Hey, water gave me heartburn. Went low carb, cutting pasta, sugar, bread, refined carbs, potatoes (!!!). In a week I had relief and left those purple pills behind. Nine years.

A few years ago I read in an article that there was less sugar in new potatoes than the regular russets or wax potatoes so therefore more tolerant for diabetics. Wow! My faves might not be so bad for me after all so we fired up the grill and had steak and I had 3 small rosemary new potatoes. That night I had the first raging case of HB I had had in years :cry: So now I fix them for the family, but gladly pass them. Proof positive starchy carbs are NOT my friend.

Leo41 02-26-2013 05:51 AM

I used to have acid reflux, but I found that eliminating wheat and dairy (hard cheese) helped. I also have to watch my fat intake--I get reflux from too much fat, but I prefer to eat low-to-moderate fat, so that's not a problem for me most of the time.

Mrs S 02-26-2013 05:56 AM

Fortunately for me, giving up sugar and grains ended my acid reflux and heartburn issues, which had become a nightly occurrence. If I had to give up dairy now too, I'd probably starve to death or at least die of boredom.

clackley 02-26-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayd2000 (Post 16258749)

I was a heavy zantac and tums 'user'. My gerd did not improve much with low carb eating. I finally took the advice of a poster here at the time (Fawn) who explained that I had to stop using the meds entirely before it would get better. It took about 2 wks.

I very, very rarely get any symptoms after that 2 wk. period and if I do it passes before I can even 'register' what that feeling was. The moral of the story is that the over the counter meds I was taking were actually doing me harm. Wish I had realized that at the time.

MSQueen68 02-26-2013 01:20 PM

I am transitioning back to a low carb way of eating. I am still having lots of heartburn with reflux. I am trying to stay off heartburn meds because they don't really treat the issue (the issue is the esophageal sphincter being to "relaxed" and allowing stomach contents to reflux back into the esophagus). A quick fix that really helps me is chewing gum! Saliva neutralizes acid. When I feel heartburn starting to bubble/burn, I chew a piece of gum. It really really helps me a lot.

jijane21 02-27-2013 11:12 AM

I've been back on lc for a couple months and have gone from taking 2 ranitidine a day to one every 2 or 3 days! I made the mistake of having a taco bell burrito on Sunday and on Monday I had one of the worst days of reflux ever!

Bamboozled 02-27-2013 12:43 PM

When my hubby sticks to low carb, he has no problems. He is a cook so I can tell when he's indulged too much at work because he will start popping the Tums once he is home. Eating certain things really cause him issues (tomatoes, bread, onions, etc) but he still eats them. Why husband, why!