LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Low Carb ar Greek Restaurant?

We have agreed to join friends at a Greek place for dinner on Valentine's Day. I never have had a problem at ANY place finding something low Carb.. but I have no idea what to get here shy of a Greek Salad.. and I am sure they have good fish. But I wondered if someone familiar with Greek food would check out the menu here and offer other suggestions?

Also what is Ouzo made of? Would trying some fit into a low Carb plan or is it sweet?
Here is the site with menu link: Menu and Reservations

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sting
Ouzo its like a wine is made from grapes, regarding the dinner meal just ask them not to add sugar and sauces with the meals and choose which ever you like lamb is typically popular with Greeks and they do know how to prepare a nice lamb dish.
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Ouzo is a liqueur made of fermenting grapes, it depends if you can handle alcohol on your diet or not.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning PaleoRainey..
Is it sweet or would you say it is dry. A dry white wine type?
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
It's dry, you could compare it to Brandy. It is not the same obviously but its greek version.

PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you Sting. I love lamb. That is a great suggestion and I had no idea Greek = Lamb.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes! Well PaloeRainey.. Ouzo I will have to try then. I am really looking forward to this meal now! AND they have Feta and Olives as an appetizer.. yum.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
daisyHair!!!!! Good to see you------ where have you been? I was just thinking about you a few days ago!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Here in NY, whole, grilled Branzino (small fish) is always on the menu and it comes with plenty of olive oil and garlic over it. It's so good. They have "catch of the day" at the place you're going to, so perhaps they make it in traditional way.

Any of the souvlaki (kebabs) will be great; any of the lamb dishes.

Greek is one of the easiest places to eat LC, I think. I go for lunch almost once per week near my office. Have fun!
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi there Snow mop my Florida friend!

I've been away.. mostly helping my husband handle his mother's estate issues after her passing. We've had to travel out of state twice and living out of a hotel for over three weeks has really been difficult and I gained allot of weight back BUT we are home again and right back in the groove. How are you?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Jes!

I had no idea that souvlaki was kabobs. I am going to have SO MUCH choice! This is awesome. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Most of the main dishes on that menu look like they're probably low-carb if you skip the rice. (Maybe they'd be willing to substitute vegetables?) Probably any of the roasted or grilled meat dishes would be fine. The baked dishes might or might not - it depends what's in the white wine sauce besides wine and butter.

At Greek restaurants, you want to avoid dishes wrapped in phyllo pastry (spanakopita, tiropeta, etc.); orzo (it's a pasta); and layered dishes like moussaka and pasticchio, which have potatoes or pasta.

Appetizers are often breaded, so ask for the specifics, but in my experience, main-dish meats usually aren't (and kebabs are pretty safe). Dolmathes (stuffed grape leaves) usually have rice inside. Hummus is a chickpea dip which may or may not be OK - if you're on Atkins at 40 carbs/day, you might not be up to the legumes yet.

Have fun and let us know how it turns out!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
Most of the main dishes on that menu look like they're probably low-carb if you skip the rice. (Maybe they'd be willing to substitute vegetables?) Probably any of the roasted or grilled meat dishes would be fine. The baked dishes might or might not - it depends what's in the white wine sauce besides wine and butter.

At Greek restaurants, you want to avoid dishes wrapped in phyllo pastry (spanakopita, tiropeta, etc.); orzo (it's a pasta); and layered dishes like moussaka and pasticchio, which have potatoes or pasta.

Appetizers are often breaded, so ask for the specifics, but in my experience, main-dish meats usually aren't (and kebabs are pretty safe). Dolmathes (stuffed grape leaves) usually have rice inside. Hummus is a chickpea dip which may or may not be OK - if you're on Atkins at 40 carbs/day, you might not be up to the legumes yet.

Have fun and let us know how it turns out!
I absolutely will let you all know how it turns out. Patrick and I were talking about it this AM and I think we will order several things and share.. The lamb.. for sure and I think whatever fresh fish of the day.. I am going to ask that it just be sauteed in olive oil with Greek spice. A Greek salad and I have to have the olives and Feta. I am excited about trying Ouzo.. they have some "flaming" cheese dish with Ouzo in it. We might HAVE to try that too.. I am sure we will have leftovers!

The restaurant has great reviews. Can't wait!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I'm so jealous!!! That menu looks fabulous and with SO many good LC choices! Yes, you need to be on guard about hidden sugars in any sauce - but for the most part it seems that greek food is a low carbers dream!

I would have to have the shrimp and scallop kebab - sounds SO yummy!
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post
I'm so jealous!!! That menu looks fabulous and with SO many good LC choices! Yes, you need to be on guard about hidden sugars in any sauce - but for the most part it seems that greek food is a low carbers dream!

I would have to have the shrimp and scallop kebab - sounds SO yummy!
OMG yeah!!!! I didn't EVEN see that.. now I am going to have TOO MANY choices! That has never happened at any restaurant. Who knew that Greek was SO low carb friendly! I sure didn't.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyHair View Post
I absolutely will let you all know how it turns out. Patrick and I were talking about it this AM and I think we will order several things and share.. The lamb.. for sure and I think whatever fresh fish of the day.. I am going to ask that it just be sauteed in olive oil with Greek spice. A Greek salad and I have to have the olives and Feta. I am excited about trying Ouzo.. they have some "flaming" cheese dish with Ouzo in it. We might HAVE to try that too.. I am sure we will have leftovers!

The restaurant has great reviews. Can't wait!
Love Greek food, I do think you will have plenty of choices. One thing to be aware of is the saganaki (flaming cheese) is usually breaded in flour before frying. If a little flour is ok with you then go for it! But if it isn't you should be aware of that.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Love Greek food, I do think you will have plenty of choices. One thing to be aware of is the saganaki (flaming cheese) is usually breaded in flour before frying. If a little flour is ok with you then go for it! But if it isn't you should be aware of that.
Ooh .. thanks for the heads up about the breading.. no wheat at all for me anymore.. if I know it's an ingredient and help it!

It looked interesting but so does half the menu! This might end up being our new "go-to" dinner out place.. Very excited about having a restaurant with so many choices. and rack of lamb? Yes, please.. because I can!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Quote:
Hi there Snow mop my Florida friend!

I've been away.. mostly helping my husband handle his mother's estate issues after her passing. We've had to travel out of state twice and living out of a hotel for over three weeks has really been difficult and I gained allot of weight back BUT we are home again and right back in the groove. How are you?
Getting older,but still fine,thank the Lord! So glad you're back!
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Erm...I hate to differ, but Ouzo is nothing like a wine! It's an aniseed flavoured spirit, and very strong - and likely to be 0 carb, which is the good news
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmop View Post
Getting older,but still fine,thank the Lord! So glad you're back!
So glad to be back.. oh and getting older, well me too.. it seems like I've aged 5 years this past year. It was a hard year but 2013 will be a fantastic one. I'm going to see to that.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
Erm...I hate to differ, but Ouzo is nothing like a wine! It's an aniseed flavoured spirit, and very strong - and likely to be 0 carb, which is the good news
Even more YUM! I love anise and the dryer the taste the better for me. I like it to just evaporate off my tongue I think.. LOL!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I just went to a Greek place on Sunday; it's a place I go to fairly often. I had grilled lamb chops with fresh lemon juice. They were delicious! I usually have grilled mix veggies too, but I skipped them this time, as I was going to have roasted veggies for dinner at home. Enjoy your dinner.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Greek is low carb heaven!

Meatballs and lamb and fish and grilled veggies and grilled calamari and fresh hummus (if u aren't super low carb) and brothy soups and inside gyro .
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanilingo View Post
Greek is low carb heaven!

Meatballs and lamb and fish and grilled veggies and grilled calamari and fresh hummus (if u aren't super low carb) and brothy soups and inside gyro .
!!! Need a like button!!!

I love gyro meat but am concerned about any flour or corn or grain additives in the meat?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
!!! Need a like button!!!

I love gyro meat but am concerned about any flour or corn or grain additives in the meat?
Hmmm...I think you may be right. This is from Olympia Foods which makes the large gyro meat cones:

Per 4 oz serving - Total Calories 410, total fat 32g,
cholesterol 65mg, sodium 1040mg, total carbohydrate
9g, protein 21g, allergens: wheat and soy

Too bad, because I love gyros. Guess I'll stick with souvlaki next time (the place I go to is "fast casual" so they don't have a huge menu).

Last edited by Mistizoom; 02-13-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hmmm...I think you may be right. This is from Olympia Foods which makes the large gyro meat cones:

Per 4 oz serving - Total Calories 410, total fat 32g,
cholesterol 65mg, sodium 1040mg, total carbohydrate
9g, protein 21g, allergens: wheat and soy

Too bad, because I love gyros. Guess I'll stick with souvlaki next time (the place I go to is "fast casual" so they don't have a huge menu).
Thank you! That answers that. I love that you knew right where to look to find that!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you! That answers that. I love that you knew right where to look to find that!
Here's the ingredients from a different supplier (Grecian Delight) for "all-beef" gyro cones:

Beef, Lamb, Water, Bread Crumbs [Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Barley Malt, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Salt, Yeast, contains 2% or less of the following: Sugar, Calcium Propionate (a preservative), It may also contain Unenriched Flour, Pure Vegetable Shortening (Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil), Ammonium Chloride, Dextrose, Sesame Seeds, Mono and Diglycerides, L-Cysteine, Enzymes, and Azodicarbonamide], Contains 2% or Less of: Vegetable Protein Product[Soy Protein Concentrate, Zinc oxide, Niacinamide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Riboflavin (B2), and Cyanocobalamin (B12)], Onions, Spice, Dehydrated Garlic, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Maltodextrin

They have 8 g carbs per 4 oz. serving. Sounds like I definitely need to stay away from the gyro meat!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Here's the ingredients from a different supplier (Grecian Delight) for "all-beef" gyro cones:

Beef, Lamb, Water, Bread Crumbs [Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Barley Malt, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Salt, Yeast, contains 2% or less of the following: Sugar, Calcium Propionate (a preservative), It may also contain Unenriched Flour, Pure Vegetable Shortening (Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil), Ammonium Chloride, Dextrose, Sesame Seeds, Mono and Diglycerides, L-Cysteine, Enzymes, and Azodicarbonamide], Contains 2% or Less of: Vegetable Protein Product[Soy Protein Concentrate, Zinc oxide, Niacinamide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Riboflavin (B2), and Cyanocobalamin (B12)], Onions, Spice, Dehydrated Garlic, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Maltodextrin

They have 8 g carbs per 4 oz. serving. Sounds like I definitely need to stay away from the gyro meat!
Well that's what I was afraid of and 4 oz! I am sure a serving is more than that! Www. Ammonium chloride.. I'm gonna have some lamb and fish I am pretty sure!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

I had to come in and share that my dinner was fantastic and I feel SO fabulous having stayed on plan and had such an incredible meal.

I had the olives and greek spices plate as an appetizer. We also had the grilled octopus (Patrick ordered it). I don't hate octopus but normally it's a little rubbery for me but this was prepared perfectly and delish!

I had a Greek salad too along side of my Lamb loin Souvlaki! It was fabulous! Probably some of the very best lamb EVER!

I only had two complaints about the dinner.. one was that I didn't get to try Ouzo.. as it was wine and beer only and my second complaint was they kept bringing baskets of home made pita over and over to the table. Every time someone saw we didn't have a basket they ran over with one and we had to say no thank you. It was HARD! They also could not believe we didn't want any of their fresh pita.. and commented on that several times.

Really it's just good service and we just smiled about it.

I am so thankful I posted here for help! I sure had no idea Greek was such a PERFECT place for low carb!

Thanks everyone.
Cary~
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
I'm glad it worked out!

The last time I had Greek food, I just ignored the pita. When the waiter picked up the plates he said "Oh, are you gluten-free? Because I could have brought extra vegetables."
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote