Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   LC orange juice (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796962-lc-orange-juice.html)

Gibbs 02-12-2013 08:42 AM

LC orange juice

Many, many years ago, there was such a thing as LC orange juice, does it still exist? My 'super' Mart sucks and was wondering if I should venture to another.

dmburk 02-12-2013 08:47 AM

I use Great Value Orange Early Rise. Reminds me of Tang from when I was a child.

Dottie 02-12-2013 09:10 AM

Tropicana makes one that's around 50% less sugar (I think).

That Girl 02-12-2013 09:46 PM

I just bought Wylers orange sf sticks, the ones you add to 16 oz of water....no, they are not real juice but the orange flavor satifies that craving for me...I buy them at the local Big Lots, 1.00 a box, can't go wrong with that.

~PaperMoon~ 02-12-2013 11:46 PM

Yes, I've been wondering about low carb orange juice too!

piratejenny 02-13-2013 06:19 AM

I've made orange Kool-Aid...not quite the same, but the closest I can do. Mio makes an "orange tangerine" flavor; it didn't taste tangerine-y to me at all, but it was orange-y.

I added some orange juice to the Kool-Aid once, to give it more of a "real" flavor; it was about 20-25% juice...my blood sugar shot up SO high!!! No "low-carb" orange drinks for me any more...has to be closer to zero carb!

If you make your own concoction, I think a little orange peel or zest helps...it has that fresh, eye-opening aroma that orange drink mixes don't.

MsWoods 02-13-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmburk (Post 16254898)
I use Great Value Orange Early Rise. Reminds me of Tang from when I was a child.

This is the closest I've gotten to OJ as well. I like it. It's pretty good. You could add some chia seeds to it for a "pulp" consistency.

jmc305 02-13-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16254951)
Tropicana makes one that's around 50% less sugar (I think).

I'm pretty sure I read the label on that product when it first came out and all they did was just water down regular OJ and charge more for it. Gotta love capitalism! ;)

I used to drink the Crystal Light fake OJ but it had a chemical taste that I wasn't fond of. I would say start with plain OJ, water it down as much as you can stand and put some orange extract or EZ sweetz to make up the difference. I've never done that, but that's the best I can think of. :dunno:

mamasooze 02-14-2013 04:57 AM

Got a craving the other day when I saw grapefruit juice at the store. I bought it :stars: I have been a good girl. On the days I drink it I limit myself to less than a cup and try to do zero carb the rest of the day. BTW--it was sooooo good over ice with a squirt of stevia. Orange juice is just too sweet and yes, the "low carb" OJ is watered down. Also saw an article that claims the big companies pump up the OJ with sugar. Ugh. And peeps think its healthy.

lterry913 02-14-2013 08:43 AM

I think you can get grapefruit flavored drink mix like the orange ones posted above...I know it's not the real thing but it may get you past the craving for real...which may just be your body telling you it wants vitamin c...maybe eat some food high in vitamin c besides fruit,of course, or try a supplement.

mamasooze 02-14-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16259062)
I think you can get grapefruit flavored drink mix like the orange ones posted above...I know it's not the real thing but it may get you past the craving for real...which may just be your body telling you it wants vitamin c...maybe eat some food high in vitamin c besides fruit,of course, or try a supplement.

Funny you would say that. Once I had that first cup, the craving was gone :dunno: I hated to pour it out so I tried to get DH to drink it, but he said "no thanks". That's when I decided to ration it out to myself. I've had it 10 days but still have more than half the bottle. I might just end up dumping it.

That Girl 02-15-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamasooze (Post 16259353)
Funny you would say that. Once I had that first cup, the craving was gone :dunno: I hated to pour it out so I tried to get DH to drink it, but he said "no thanks". That's when I decided to ration it out to myself. I've had it 10 days but still have more than half the bottle. I might just end up dumping it.

Maybe you could freeze the leftover juice and next time you get a craving for it take out a couple of cubes and make a slushie out of it, or throw it in a glass of Sierra Mist for a nice citrus tasting drink?