LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/189/155
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 1/18/13
Digestive Issues

After getting back on this WOE I have noticed that I, who never had this issue before, am constipated. I drink lots of water, eat lots of veggies and fiber, and going to the bathroom is an issue. I never had this issue before Suggestions?
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Are you eating enough fat? I can say that fiber ( OMM, anything made with flax) actually clogs me up, not the opposite. When I'm eating a balance of about 75-80% fat, 15-20% protein and 5% or less carbs, no issues at all. I've also heard people say to take magnesium supplements, they work for me but a little too well sometimes if you catch my drift.
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Taking a magnesium supplement daily helps me, and so does eating nuts and coconut butter or cooking with coconut oil. Eating 2 prunes at night helps some people, if they can be fit into your daily carb allotment.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lwcrbldy
Stats: 5'1", 34yrs: 135/117/112
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 2/2013
WATER, Magnesium, coconut oil (or bacon), and when worse-comes-to-worse- miralax and colace - however miralax can have some annoying side effects (at least for me, despite my gastro who advocates it to no end and tells me the side effects are pretty much "all in my head") like general malaise, moderate joint pain, bloating, and significantly increased appetite. My dad who has similar gut and chronic ulcer issues (but no autoimmune disease like me) uses it every day in the AM with no problems- so to each their own. But if I haven't gone in 5-10 days and it's a moderate case of constipation, a day of colace, Miralax in Propel, and LOTS OF WATER throughout the day works wonders. If you remain backed up after that and you're experiencing moderate to severe gut pain, you should go to ER or Urgent care- you may have an obstruction which needs immediate medical attention.

But usually, just significantly increasing water intake, magnesium supplements and eating a good quality lubricant like Nutiva Coconut Oil can ease the problem if it's not a severe case. Low-Carb WOEs usually have a diuretic effect and that means harder stools and constipation. Bacon works too but then you have to worry about nitrates and a lot of excess sodium which can cause water retention as well.

To each their own, but I hope this helps though!
Restart: 2/9/2013; 117lbs
Goal: 110-112lbs!

Last edited by lwcrbldy; 02-12-2013 at 07:27 AM..
lwcrbldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: yvonne326
Stats: 197/189/155
WOE: Low Carb & Exercise
Start Date: 1/18/13
wow, I eat fat (bacon yum) ... actually a good portion of my daily intake is fat. I am going to try the magnesium... thanks all.
yvonne326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I take a daily probiotic and magnesium and have no issues any longer.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Triphala is a good herbal remedy, high in Vitamin C & doesn't cause cramping.
As far as I know, it can be taken every day, indefinitely...I've never seen a warning on the labels that a person can become dependent on it, like other laxatives.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Magnesium for sure!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leeney
Stats: 142/136/129
WOE: low carb
Hey guys, in researching I see there are several different kinds of magnesium. Could you tell me what kind you use? I have read that certain kinds don't help constipation much. Thanks!
leeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
If you can find the magnesium citrate in pill form, I've found that works best for me.
I haven't seen it lately and so am taking the magnesium oxide. I have to take more, but it still works. I take 1000mg a day.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I've had the same problem. I'm trying various remedies like flax, probiotics, etc. It takes time.

Your body does require alot of water on a low carb diet and dehydration can contribute to the problem, but in a healthy person water doesn't enter your colon by drinking it. It gets filtered in the small intestine... if it doesn't get filtered because things are moving too quickly, watery diarrhea is the only result. The colon, in fact, is designed to remove water from stool, that's why waiting days to go is bad. You're forming colon rocks! Some laxatives (osmotics) and stool softeners including magnesium works by allowing more water into the colon. Other laxatives, like stimulants (Senna, Ex-Lax, Correctol, etc) stimulate peristalsis, or colon contractions to expel stool. Those can be harsh and cause cramps and irritation because you force your colon to remove dry stool.

That said, just because something isn't a stimulant laxative doesn't mean it won't be harsh. Miralax, which more people than I can count sing praises for, is HARSH on me. A full dose and I'm cramping and spasming for DAYS with no relief. A half dose, and I'm cramping and spasming for 1-2 days. Never touching that stuff again. So start small, whatever you use in the mean time until you get a regimen going that works for you. I've noticed with using flaxseed, there's no more rocks though the emptying process still seems rather slowed. I'm going to try more insoluable fiber, as it speeds transit time. Flaxseed is equally soluable and insoluable. Soluable actually helps slow transit time but is necessary because it attracts water and become like gel in your colon, which is good for keeping things soft. Bad for needing to "go" more frequently. Wheat bran is the best source I've found for insoluable. I went to a Whole Foods type store and found some plain wheat bran cereal and has 13g of fiber to 17g carbs, so only 4g of net carbs. I want to be off wheat, but I'd much rather be regular. Constipation is horrid and the laxative remedies are a case of the cure being worse than the disease based on my experiences with them. I'm going back to only Colace until I get a working regimen going. It irritates me the least amount for the most effectiveness. I'd love it if magnesium would work again (worked prior to the diet, it's essentially an osmostic laxative) because I had zero side effects for me.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mina Vendetta
Stats: 297/222/130
WOE: Atkins <20
Start Date: 11/15/11
You definitely want to keep things "moving"! I wasn't paying attention to my water intake over the holidays, and with the travel & dehydration I ended up impacted! Ugh! Severe cramps sent me to my doctor's office where I got help and a lot of info from the nurse practitioner. Both my doctor and NP are kind of hippie-types and the NP gave me a regimen that's been working great:

1) magnesium citrate as a laxative -- it comes in a clear glass bottle and looks/tastes like lemon-lime soda. I only drank 1/2 the bottle which did the job
2) obviously if you're blocked in some way, an enema before the laxative kicks in -- sorry, if anyone's eating right now!
3) magnesium oxide and zinc supplements, alternating every other day
4) fiber supplement every morning -- the NP recommended Garden of Life Super Seed, which is flax meal & chia seeds. Netrition sells this, 1 net carb per scoop and I just stir it in cold water & chug
Mina Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

thanks so much for all the feedback! Mina do you have a certain dosage on your supplements?

I hope this is information is helping you too, yvonne326?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Leeny, you'll get differing opinions. Try mag oxide first, then mag citrate (in PILL form -- in liquid form, that's a real colon cleanser right there) if that doesn't work. Mag citrate does nothing for my bathroom issues but it does resolve my leg cramps. Mag oxide has been the opposite.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Ok, and I do want to do this slowly.....too much either direction is not good.