Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 47
Gallery: Mel K
Stats: 170/160/135
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: January 22, 2013
Does low-carb diet cause acne?

I have had acne on and off throughout my life (worse as a teen, of course). After switching to Bare Minerals makeup a few years ago, my acne wasn't bad at all. Recently I started taking zinc and found that it helped with the few blemishes I was getting. That was until about a week or so ago! About a week into my lchf diet I started getting those cyst-like pimples around my mouth. I had a few and I thought they would just go away, but I keep getting more! I can't remember the last time I broke out like this. Thoughts? It has to be my diet, right? Anything I can do?
Mel K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Organic apple cider vinegar topically applied is a miracle product.

From what I've read, all sorts of garbage is locked up in fat cells so when you start burning off that fat that junk gets released back into your system.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,721
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
It can as you clear toxins from your system and release hormones from stored fat.
The good news is it usually passes after your body adjusts
Drink plenty of good old water, too.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 47
Gallery: Mel K
Stats: 170/160/135
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: January 22, 2013
Thanks! I have been drinking a ton of water, but I will make sur I continue it. I did try ACV tonight...hopefully that makes a difference. I wonder if I'm eating too much dairy? I'm sure liking cheese these days...
Mel K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!
 
reddarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,460
Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
ACV will work. My plague from my fat tissue was warts. I got a dozen or so over the span of a few months. I took a q-tip with straight acv and applied it once or twice a day for a few days and bam they'd be gone. It did have a mild burning sensation a time or two but nothing too horrible and it went away quickly.

I used Braggs. Wal-Mart has started carrying it. Danged expensive at health food stores.

Oh, I forgot. I drink a lot of diet soda so I get acne every once in a while. I put acv on it and they are gone within a day usually.

It may sting. Get someone to blow on it for you heh.

reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
mamabat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 80
Gallery: mamabat
Stats: 226/159/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 8 2013
I've found quite the opposite! Ending my 5th week now and my skin has never looked better. Think I've managed to get all the garbage out of my system!

But, as others have stated - ACV is fabulous for the skin!
mamabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,925
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I had been plagued by acne my entire life, and my acne almost entirely vanished when I switched to low carb. But I lose super slowly, so any toxins released during fat loss would be released at a slow pace for me, and I also try to eat a very "clean" paleo/primal diet, which might be helping me, too.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
Arctic_Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,775
Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Opposite for me, too. My entire bodywide inflammation is lower, including skin. I went from a fair bit of adult acne to pretty much completely clear except for the occasional whitehead. LOVE that!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 47
Gallery: Mel K
Stats: 170/160/135
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: January 22, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabat View Post
I've found quite the opposite! Ending my 5th week now and my skin has never looked better. Think I've managed to get all the garbage out of my system!

But, as others have stated - ACV is fabulous for the skin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I had been plagued by acne my entire life, and my acne almost entirely vanished when I switched to low carb. But I lose super slowly, so any toxins released during fat loss would be released at a slow pace for me, and I also try to eat a very "clean" paleo/primal diet, which might be helping me, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Opposite for me, too. My entire bodywide inflammation is lower, including skin. I went from a fair bit of adult acne to pretty much completely clear except for the occasional whitehead. LOVE that!
That is what I thought would happen for me as well. Do any of you eat a lot of dairy? I don't know if I eat too much or not, but I'm definitely eating more than I did befor I was low carb.

I think I eat *pretty* clean. No packaged foods (other than lunch meat occasionally).
Mel K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,925
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel K View Post
That is what I thought would happen for me as well. Do any of you eat a lot of dairy? I don't know if I eat too much or not, but I'm definitely eating more than I did befor I was low carb.

I think I eat *pretty* clean. No packaged foods (other than lunch meat occasionally).
I do eat a lot of dairy--high fat cheese, cream in coffee and tea, cottage cheese and yogurt. I aim for high fat and moderate protein, so I get a lot of my calories from high fat dairy. You could try giving up dairy for 3 weeks and see if your acne clears up. If you have a sensitivity or intolerance to a food, it's best to give it up entirely for 3 weeks and then try reintroducing it, to see the effect.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
BigRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 612
Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
I had major acne issues from the time I was 12. Took every cream, used every soap, took prescription medications including antibiotics to try and clear it up. Three months ago I gave up dairy and I have the clearest face since I was 10. That's what did it for me.

I would agree to try giving up dairy for a few weeks and see what happens.
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 47
Gallery: Mel K
Stats: 170/160/135
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: January 22, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I do eat a lot of dairy--high fat cheese, cream in coffee and tea, cottage cheese and yogurt. I aim for high fat and moderate protein, so I get a lot of my calories from high fat dairy. You could try giving up dairy for 3 weeks and see if your acne clears up. If you have a sensitivity or intolerance to a food, it's best to give it up entirely for 3 weeks and then try reintroducing it, to see the effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post
I had major acne issues from the time I was 12. Took every cream, used every soap, took prescription medications including antibiotics to try and clear it up. Three months ago I gave up dairy and I have the clearest face since I was 10. That's what did it for me.

I would agree to try giving up dairy for a few weeks and see what happens.
Give up carbs and dairy??? What will I eat???

Just kidding...sort of.
Mel K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
janetsbreeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,477
Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Bacon.

Lots and lots of bacon.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 396
Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I have the same problem with cow dairy causing major acne; however, I don't have a problem eating non-cow dairy products (such as goat cheese/cream/butter/milk/yogurt, sheep cheese, etc). It's more expensive, but it works for me!
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,925
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel K View Post
Give up carbs and dairy??? What will I eat???

Just kidding...sort of.
Here's my plan: eat lots of vegetables in salads with full-fat non-dairy dressing. Eat nuts and avocadoes and olives. Eat eggs, fish, meat. Eat vegetables sauteed in coconut oil or olive oil. Put coconut milk creamer into my coffee and tea. Make dips of non-dairy ingredients such as oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes and olives and eat with vegetables and flax crackers.

Dairy is the cornerstone of my diet, so I agree that it can be hard to plan meals without it. I'm going to be spending time with my recipe box figuring out enough dairy-free recipes to get me through a trial period. Paleo blogs and cookbooks are a good resource, since they are dairy-free as well as grain-free; just ignore the recipes with honey, maple syrup, and starchy vegetables and high glycemic fruits.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.