LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shamblyn
Stats: 212/146/140 - 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 09/07/2012
Stalled - Ugh

Looking for encouragement that I will move past this dreaded stall. I have been stuck for 4 weeks. Tried various things that have been posted...increasing fat, reducing protein, etc. Really looking to hear if anyone that has reached goal also hit stalls midway. I am about half way to goal and am really frustrated. I think if I know that it will pass I will feel better. But as it is now I am soooo bummed.
shamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
WOE: CAD
Start Date: 3/2/2014
Are you eating less calories now that you weigh less? I've not made adjustments for that in past LC attempts. Good luck!
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamblyn View Post
Looking for encouragement that I will move past this dreaded stall. I have been stuck for 4 weeks. Tried various things that have been posted...increasing fat, reducing protein, etc. Really looking to hear if anyone that has reached goal also hit stalls midway. I am about half way to goal and am really frustrated. I think if I know that it will pass I will feel better. But as it is now I am soooo bummed.
I've "stalled" a couple of times. The first one broke when I finally started paying attention to protein. The other one broke when I admitted that I'd allowed some carb creep. But I don't actually know if either of those things were the cause of the stall or whether my body was just adjusting to the changes I was putting it through. Now that I'm close to goal every pound seems like it's being taken out of my hide.

If you're tracking, I'd go take a really close honest look at your daily intake and see if you've added too many carbs. And check your portion sizes. It's really easy to let yourself think you're eating less than you really are if you're just eyeballing it.

If it looks like you're really stalled after a couple more weeks (6 weeks is what they usually use to define one) you could back to a strict induction to see if that helps.

But keep in mind that almost everyone stalls at some point. You feel like you're going nuts and that it's all for nothing and then one day you step on the scale and you've lost a couple of pounds. There are dozens of stories like that on these threads. So don't lose heart. Honestly, it's part of the process.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
You have the stats I had the first go round with Atkins in 2002. I also stalled around 175 for 6 weeks. It is very frustating!! I looked at my diet and noticed I was putting more of the low carb bread (on our recipe board), shakes, diet soda and other dishes in my diet. I decided to go back to eating clean and simple again. I also was very aware of portion size. That helped. The weight came off slower but I did make it to goal eventually. Good luck, I hope you get some answers because I'm sure I will go thru that again.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I got stalled for months and months. NK is what finally broke my stall. But I went whole hog paying careful attention to what I was doing and read up a lot about what I was doing. I listened to a lot of Jimmy Moore's podcasts, including the two with Dr. Phinney several times over.

Just on the by and by, throwing a lot of tweaks around in a short amount of time is not going to solve the problem. For instance, NK requires 4 to 6 weeks of conscientious application to become keto-adapted.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
After losing 70 pounds, I stalled at 212 for seven weeks. It was a real test of my commitment to the LC lifestyle. I tried a few tweaks here and there but the scale finally whooshed down three pounds this week. I made two changes that may have facilitated the break in the stall; I measured all of my portions and recorded my daily food intake in a notebook. This allowed me to really see how many carbs I was eating and this insight enabled me to make more educated choices about foods and portions.

Please, please, please don't give up. You will feel so much stronger when this stall passes and you come out the other side victorious!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shamblyn
Stats: 212/146/140 - 5'8"
Start Date: 09/07/2012
Thank you everyone for your responses. I am really determined to stick with this woe. It really helps hearing your experiences. I don't feel so alone. These message boards are such a blessing.
shamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I hope you're taking measurements, or at least trying on tight clothes. Remember that a stall is six weeks without weight or inches lost. Sometimes the scale stays the same while the body continues to shrink.

Be completely honest with yourself about what you're doing, and then don't give up. It will happen if you do what you need to.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I stalled half way through my weight loss--for months and months. Finally I realized that my 'smaller' body simply required less food. Once I began eating less, I continued to lose.

Just eating low carb (<20g) is not enough for me; I need to watch calories, too.

If the body gets sufficient food for its needs, it will not tap into our fat stores and we will simply maintain rather than lose.

Both Dr. Atkins and Dr. Eades have identifed two reasons that low carbers stall--carb creep and calorie creep. Often long-termers have become too casual, and a stall is a time to track seriously and be objective about the amount we're consuming.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Stalling is frustrating. One of the problems with adipose cells is that when they lose the fat droplet that gives them their shape, they fill with water and wait until there is extra fat around again to give them their shape again. Then something happens which causes dehydration and they give up the water. That's why fat loss isn't linear on the scale. But it is frustrating when we are relying on it to judge our progress. Water weighs more than fat, so sometimes you even might notice a little gain, even when you are losing fat.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

This is a good post, there is another reason that goes with the carb/calorie creep that I have noticed. Days after I exercise, LC, ketosis or not, my body is screaming for more food. I read the other day one of the reasons why doing a lot of exercise makes it difficult to lose fat is because when your body is in a constant state of catabolism it reacts by soon afterwards going into a state of anabolism. Anabolism is the state where your body stores fat in attempt to rebuild itself. This process is exaggerated in people who exercise a lot. It probably the reason why Moore and Phinney found that people who exercise more than 7hrs a week stall.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
t probably the reason why Moore and Phinney found that people who exercise more than 7hrs a week stall.
7? Am I misremembering? I thought the number was 15 hours.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
7? Am I misremembering? I thought the number was 15 hours.
I think it is no more than 1 hr a day, is what is recommended. Although I had a really hard workout that was only an hour on Sunday and the next day wrested with terrible insulin levels that almost drove me over the edge so I think it depends on the intensity of the workout too, not just the duration.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I think it is no more than 1 hr a day, is what is recommended. Although I had a really hard workout that was only an hour on Sunday and the next day wrested with terrible insulin levels that almost drove me over the edge so I think it depends on the intensity of the workout too, not just the duration.
I checked

1 to 2 hours a day of vigorous exercise can result in a significantly lower resting metabolic rate. Phinney measured a 15% reduction in his clinical trial. He referred to another study with twins that showed a wide variation in the amount of reduction. And he mentions one or two other studies.

From the Long Term Stalls podcast ('jimmy moore phinney long term stalls):

12:40 - "Well beyond 15 hours a week of vigorous physical activity."

13:15 - progressive amount of exercise. 14 hours per week resulted in a 15% reduction in resting metabolism.

15:50 - "When you get above an hour to two of exercise per day on average some people will have a quite significant reduction in their resting metabolic rate."

16:45 - "What I am talking here is at least an hour a day and most of the studies did an hour and a half or two hours a day to show this effect."
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for checking that. I have decided myself to make sure it is no more than an hour a day which translates to 7hrs a week for me. In my personal experience, although some exercise helps weight loss, too much does the opposite. It actually encourages your body to store fat. I don't know the exact mechanisms behind it, whether it is what Phinney says about lowering your resting metabolism or whether it has to do with the fact that a compulsive exerciser goes through more phases of anabolism than someone who does little to no exercise. I just know how to correct it.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: domin8trx
Stats: Too much/still too much/???
WOE: Atkins/LC
What on earth is NK?
domin8trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Nutritional Ketosis. There's a subforum for it if you want more information.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8trx View Post
What on earth is NK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Nutritional Ketosis. There's a subforum for it if you want more information.
Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb - Low Carb Friends

Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
What broke my 18 month stall was exercise (3 days weight training and 3 days long, slow cardio such as hiking and yoga). I also ate NO processed foods whatsoever including artificial sweeteners. I think the exercise was key, and it naturally lowered how much I was eating. So exercise and reducing calories but only if your appetite goes down. Listen to your body. If you cut calories and walk around hungry, it produces a stress response which will stop weight loss.
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote