Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TAMUKmom
Low Carb and Gluten Free?

Is anyone eating gluten free and low carb? I have been low carb for many, many years. When I would get off my low carb diet, I would feel bad and blisters popped up on my hands. Found out I had DH a form of Celiacs disease. Most of the gluten free breads and processed foods are high in carbs. I decided to get back on a Low Carb diet and it's a little hard. I know low carb is best for me but so many things that are low carb are not gluten free.
TAMUKmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jinny
Stats: 214/145/127
WOE: Gluten free, sugar free, low carb
Start Date: August 2012
I have gluten sensitivity\wheat allergy. I think low-carb lends itself particularly well to gluten free WOE. The key for me was to shift from pre-packaged and processed foods to whole foods.
If you feel you can't go without baked goodies, look into alternative flours like almond flour, finely ground seeds, coconut etc.
Jinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
I'm low carb and gluten free due to Celiac Disease. I would get the same blisters on my feet and legs. My doctor says if you have the rash, you have Celiac. I felt much better when I ate low carb but I feel AMAZING now that I'm completely gluten free as well. Just realize that wheat is in EVERYTHING. I had a multi-page list of unsafe ingredients I had to look for on every package of food I bought.....it's much easier if you stick with whole, unprocessed foods. It will give your body time to heal.

And if you have the rash you need to watch out for iodine as well....it's a trigger for it.
RavenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ergowoman
I have been gluten free and low carb for 3 years. Yes, it is hard, and you will fall off the wagon, but in time you will get used to it and it will become second nature. It is worth the effort--I feel better on a gluten free eating plan.

I no longer need anything that resembles bread. Any baking I do is done with almond flour. This site has tons of ideas on how to become gluten free. Also, if you need more inspiration, read "Wheat Belly ".
ergowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
I have a wheat allergy so I am gluten free, and I eat low carb (everything that is gluten free is wheat free, but not everything that is wheat free is gluten free). It is a bit challenging, but it is something that I have to do so I just suck it up! I stick to whole, real foods - nothing processed, and I don't eat potatoes, rice, quinoa, etc. Every meal has to be homemade. Going out to eat can be troublesome if you can't pick the place, but there are a lot of restaurants with gluten free menus. Some even cater to gluten free. It definitely can be done, but it is a bit challenging! If I can do it, you can do it!!!!

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Come on over to the recipe help section. There are a TON of GF/LC recipes there.

Lowcarb Recipe Help & Suggestions - Low Carb Friends
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I don't need to eat gluten free, but I mainly do as I have a wheat allergy (no problem with gluten) and wheat free regular stuff is so high carb, I decided to cut it all out.

Sometimes I may accidently have some, which for me is no huge problem, but for someone with celiac disease could be very bad. Anyway, eating gluten free and low carb actually is easy.

Stick with real foods, like vegetables, fish, meat, fats, and use sparingly of cheeses and nuts, and you will rock this WOE!
Lice Macc0021 I stick with making my own foods from scratch and only eat whole real unprocessed things. If there's something I cannot pronounce on the ingredients list or I cannot make a mental picture in my head of what it looks like, I don't buy it.

If you like baking, check out the the recipe room here and the healthy indulgences blog. There are tons of great recipes there that are gluten free and low carb and delicious!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I'm LC and gluten free. Actually I don't do any grains. Almond flour and coconut flour are what I cook with. For bread, I make Maria's Healthified Subs. There is a big thread for both that and her pizza crust on the Recipe Help Forum.
Most of the time though, I just do without "bread". I've been doing this for almost a year and at first it was hard for me. But, I haven't "cheated" yet. It's definitely a doable lifestyle.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
really? other than that "low carb bread" stuff that is questionable anyway, I can't think of a single low carb food with gluten in it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Since I don't eat grains or processed foods, I have ended up eating gluten free. It's not hard to do if you're eating low carb.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I don't eat any grains so I suppose I am gluten free, though I don't read labels that closely to check for hidden sources of gluten.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Lots of sauces, salad dressings, seasonings, gravy, etc. have gluten in them. Low carb bars, shakes, Dreamfields, frozen meals, etc. are all no go. It just limits your options even more so than LC alone would.

If you make homemade meals with real ingredients for every meal, then it is easy. I just find it a bit challenging to eat completely homemade from scratch for every meal... but I do it because I have to!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
It is a lot easier if you avoid processed foods. I'm wheat-free and mostly gluten free and it is not very hard since I don't eat packaged stuff usually.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Low carb and gluten free as it happens. Easy peasy!!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I think it can be pretty easy if you focus on eating healthy unprocessed foods. I am not celiac but just by the fact that I cook most of my own meals, don't use bottled dressings, spice mixes or seasonings, or other lc products, I am being gluten free. All the stuff that does have gluten- like commercial dressings, lc bars and shakes and Atkins meals and other faux products are not healthy anyway, so best to avoid them.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I, too, am not celiac, but I have Hashimoto's, and it's recommended to avoid gluten because Hashi's people often have a sensitivity to gluten even if they don't have celiac.

However, like nolcjunk, I find that it's very easy for me to be gluten free, since I never eat grains and mainly eat whole foods (meat, fish, eggs, veggies) that I prepare simply. I never use bottled dressings and make all my soups from scratch.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
really? other than that "low carb bread" stuff that is questionable anyway, I can't think of a single low carb food with gluten in it.
Slim Jims, Soy Sauce, Blue Cheese, many varieties of bullion, Atkins Breakfast Bars - just to name a few. Not to mention "low carb" baking products like you can find at netrition - many of them have wheat in them too.
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
lc and gluten free here.
I don't have celiac disease, nor is there any indication that I am especially sensitive to gluten. I don't eat it because after reading 'wheat belly' by dr. davis, I wanted to experiment with gluten free eating as a joint pain remedy.
It worked beyond my expectations. I had daily knee pain that was becoming a real worry. After stopping the gluten the pain started lessening with a couple of days and by the end of the first week I was pain free. I was amazed.
I do get an occasional knee "twinge" but basically I am still pain free.
That's all the reason I need to say "no' to gluten
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
TAMUKmom, I am wheat free first and low carb second. Meaning, if I am out and all I can find is a frozen rice 'macaroni' and cheese, I will eat all blooming 90 grams of carbs rather than go without or eat something like bunless burgers that have wheat in them.

It is not easy by any stretch, but at 20 pounds off in under 6 weeks of no wheat, I am okay with the plateaus for now. I just got a freezer for my garage last weekend (yay!) so will be working on cooking up a storm on the weekends and freezing in portions to take to work.

Eating out is just not an option for me right now until I get a handle on the carbs and gluten. I even got sick after eating at Longhorn, and all I ordered was a plain steak, no seasoning - and they cooked it on a separate grill. Once you are off the wheat, it doesn't take much at all to make you feel like crap if you eat just a smidge of it. If I have to err - I err on higher carbs right now as gluten free is WAY higher in carbs than wheat is.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Low carb paleo here--that is gluten free by nature. It really isn't hard, but as everyone else has pointed out, you cannot be using a lot of processed foods. That means preparing food from scratch, mostly. If you must buy something with a label on it, it should only have one or two ingredients (e.g. "coconut oil", or "tomatoes, salt") and nothing that you cannot pronounce or find by itself on the grocery store aisle.

I don't have celiac or even gluten sensitivity. I've chosen this way of eating because I feel 1000% better (no more skeletal pain). When you have celiac, you cannot risk hidden gluten, so this is the best way. You just have to wrap your mind around it.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jinny
Stats: 214/145/127
WOE: Gluten free, sugar free, low carb
Start Date: August 2012
You can add yoghurt and ice cream to the list of things where you may be surprised with hidden gluten... Unbelievable, right?
I second reading "Wheat Belly", it made it so much easier for me to have a complete paradigm shift regarding wheat.
Jinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBear View Post
Slim Jims, Soy Sauce, Blue Cheese, many varieties of bullion, Atkins Breakfast Bars - just to name a few. Not to mention "low carb" baking products like you can find at netrition - many of them have wheat in them too.

.......ready-made meatballs or meatloaf, sauces that aren't clear at all may have been thickened with flour, lunch meat, I'm sure there's more.

Yes, you can make everything yourself, but can be quite inconvenient to go out or on vacation or to work functions.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I also eat lowcarb grain-free and gluten-free, but I don't have an allergy to wheat or celiac disease. I try to eat primal/paleo style, making almost everything from scratch. It is possible that I sometimes eat something with a little wheat (say, a hamburger or some blue cheese dressing) in a restaurant, but because I don't have an extreme reaction to wheat, I can't tell when that has happened, though I try to ask the server about ingredients. Cooking from scratch at home or going out to restaurants that have a gluten-free menu seem to be your best options.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-11-2013 at 11:04 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
.......ready-made meatballs or meatloaf, sauces that aren't clear at all may have been thickened with flour, lunch meat, I'm sure there's more.

Yes, you can make everything yourself, but can be quite inconvenient to go out or on vacation or to work functions.
Yes... lunch meat was a shocker to me. And vitamins/supplements too!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
On all of these foods that unexpectedly contain gluten....What do the labels say?
any fancy tongue twisters that really mean "gluten"?
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
Lots of sauces, salad dressings, seasonings, gravy, etc. have gluten in them. Low carb bars, shakes, Dreamfields, frozen meals, etc. are all no go. It just limits your options even more so than LC alone would.
Those things (except home-made) are exactly what we're supposed to be avoiding on LC.

Except for some occasional soy sauce, I'm completely gluten-free. Not through any special effort, but because the foods I'm allowed to eat? Don't have gluten.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
On all of these foods that unexpectedly contain gluten....What do the labels say?
any fancy tongue twisters that really mean "gluten"?
One item to avoid is "natural (and artificial) flavorings" (which can mean MSG, which can contain gluten and is just generally bad for us). "Starch" is another seeming innocuous ingredient likely to contain gluten. Soy sauce or tamari can also be a problem, unless one purposely selects a wheat-free brand. Google "additives with gluten" and you'll pull up several links with long lists.

I just read Michael Pollin's "In Defense of Food." He suggests not buying anything that has ingredients you couldn't just stock in your kitchen, not buying anything that your grandmother wouldn't recognize, and not buying anything that has ingredients you'd have trouble spelling or pronouncing. Probably good rules for all of us, but especially so for those who must be gluten-free for health reasons.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
La Choy makes gluten-free soy sauce. Kikoman too but you have to look for it.

Here is an interesting blurb from a Celiac's forum (posted 2009):

Quote:
La Choy Soy Sauce is made by ConAgra foods. I called them about it a few days ago and was told that their labeling policy is if it has any gluten ingredients (wheat, rye or barley) they will be listed as that ingredient or in the case of things like natural flavors it would be in parenthesis - for example natural flavors (derived from WHEAT). They, like Kraft, go above and beyond the labeling laws. I can't speak for the taste since I haven't tried it yet, but I will say that I will support companies with policies like these with my hard earned dollars.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
La Choy makes gluten-free soy sauce. Kikoman too but you have to look for it.

Here is an interesting blurb from a Celiac's forum (posted 2009):
Right, just look for wheat-free or gluten-free tamari instead of soy sauce. I find it in my regular grocery store.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMUKmom View Post
Is anyone eating gluten free and low carb? I have been low carb for many, many years. When I would get off my low carb diet, I would feel bad and blisters popped up on my hands. Found out I had DH a form of Celiacs disease. Most of the gluten free breads and processed foods are high in carbs.
I don't have a lot of suggestions but just wanted to commiserate! I stopped eating wheat (not all gluten or grains, just wheat for now) a couple weeks ago. I didn't eat a lot of bread or pasta, but some of my fave convenient lower-carb foods (Sandwich Thins, LC tortillas, flatbread crackers) of course have wheat in them. There are plenty of wheat-free products in my grocery store, but they're very high carb.

I don't have an oven or microwave, so I can't make the one-minute-muffins, oopsie rolls, almond butter bread, etc etc, that would be so handy. :/

The thing I'm finding is...breads, crackers, cookies, tortillas, etc, are usually "extras" and I don't really need them. I miss them, and sometimes I want something I can hold in one hand while I do something else, but with a little extra planning I can make stews & salads instead of burritos and sandwiches, and I often have yogurt or a couple pieces of chocolate for dessert.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote