Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Gotta say goodbye to low carb :( (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796694-gotta-say-goodbye-low-carb.html)

alonewithyou 02-08-2013 01:49 PM

Gotta say goodbye to low carb :(

I am sorry to say that I can't do low carb. Mainly because my period is all wonky as soon as I go off plan for a bit. I can't have my period for 2 weeks at a time! First time I started 2010? It wasn't like this. Anyone else have this problem? Like, more than once.

avid 02-08-2013 02:02 PM

Not being of the female persuasion I can't answer the question you posed, but my initial reaction to your post was "why assume it's a diet you have been following for over 2 years?
If my wife or daughter complained of the same symptom I would encourage her to see her gyn. Wishing you all health

Adoug4ho 02-08-2013 02:06 PM

I had that issue for about the first month back ON plan hardcore. But it's self corrected. Sorry if TMI. :)

baileygirl3 02-08-2013 02:08 PM

Hi! I am sorry to hear you feel this diet is not working for you. I too have wonky cycles and have an appt to see my gyno in Mar. I am not blaming LC cause back last summer I had my tubes tied and was coming off the pill and a lot of weird hormonal stuff going on. I finally had a cycle this month after not having one for 6 months. I am having them though every two weeks...arghhh...would hate to think I had to stop eating LC. Good luck to you and hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Amber_Baby 02-08-2013 02:19 PM

When you lose weight, yout body breaks down fat cells which also contain oestrogen. Excess levels of oestrogen can cause irregular periods or they can just last for ages and be completely unpredictable. I have this problem every time I lose weight but I find it most noticeable on low carb since my losses are bigger and more consistent. It tends to settle down and while it's not my favourite side effect, the results are worth it.

biancasteeplechase 02-08-2013 02:42 PM

If your period's lasting a long time, I'd suggest going to the gynecologist. There are a lot of other issues that can cause this.

CarolynF 02-08-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber_Baby (Post 16248453)
When you lose weight, yout body breaks down fat cells which also contain oestrogen. Excess levels of oestrogen can cause irregular periods or they can just last for ages and be completely unpredictable. I have this problem every time I lose weight but I find it most noticeable on low carb since my losses are bigger and more consistent. It tends to settle down and while it's not my favourite side effect, the results are worth it.

This is true..

pocahontas 02-08-2013 04:03 PM

A change in diet can cause an abnormal cycle or two but if it's a recurring problem you should seek medical help. There may be an underlying issue.

Seeking 02-08-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alonewithyou (Post 16248404)
I am sorry to say that I can't do low carb. Mainly because my period is all wonky as soon as I go off plan for a bit. I can't have my period for 2 weeks at a time! First time I started 2010? It wasn't like this. Anyone else have this problem? Like, more than once.

This could be due to birth control or medication you are using. Ever since switching to Lo Loestrin Fe, I've had a period every 2 weeks.

Janknitz 02-08-2013 05:50 PM

Definitely seek medical attention, but if your doctor is scratching his or her head, consider that it may not be the diet itself but what you eat ON the diet that is causing issues.

I was eating too much flax (a daily OMM), and that was causing prolonged heavy bleeding. As soon as I figured it out and stopped eating flax the problem went away. So look for phytoestrogens that you may tend to eat more of on low carb: flax and soy are the most likely candidates.

sfmom 02-08-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alonewithyou (Post 16248404)

Then why go off plan??? Why not stick to the plan and lose your weight and not have issues with your period.

Audrey

Strawberry 02-08-2013 09:03 PM

I agree with the others above. Irregular periods are a sign you need to see a gynocologist and figure out whats wrong!! I wouldnt blame low carb or any other diet for the long periods. If you dont want to do low carb, thats fine.... but you still seriously need to see a doctor.

If anything, low carb is GOOD for problems with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) because insulin resistance is a part of the hormonal abnormalities.

ravenrose 02-08-2013 09:55 PM

will be interesting to see if the irregularity stops. probably not.

alonewithyou 02-09-2013 07:00 AM

thanks for the great answers, all. This happens every time I start LC. It will most likely even out and I will get my TOM when I'm supposed to and such.

I'm having problems sticking to the diet, so that's a part of why I probably want to quit. I'm gonna reconsider though. I know this diet is GOOD for us.

Can I still lose weight if I eat around 50g carbs a day? I might ease back into the diet, and maybe I won't get all wonky TOM.

astribling 02-09-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alonewithyou (Post 16249425)
thanks for the great answers, all. This happens every time I start LC. It will most likely even out and I will get my TOM when I'm supposed to and such.

I'm having problems sticking to the diet, so that's a part of why I probably want to quit. I'm gonna reconsider though. I know this diet is GOOD for us.

Can I still lose weight if I eat around 50g carbs a day? I might ease back into the diet, and maybe I won't get all wonky TOM.

First, I second everybody's response about seeing a doctor if it doesn't regulate itself. I found that getting rid of the bad carbs actually helped my cycle.

As for your level of carbs - I have stayed at 40-50 net carbs for my whole weight loss and it worked great for me. However, everybody is different, so you will just have to try and see how your body will handle that.

alonewithyou 02-09-2013 09:21 AM

Thank you, astribling! I think upping the carbs will help me keep on LC.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-09-2013 10:54 AM

Try The Belly Fat diet. More carbs and less sugar, natural sugar like fruits, etc.

Jigsaw 02-11-2013 04:36 PM

I've heard of people losing on 100g or more carbs a day, it is different with everyone, so i'd give a little higher carbs a try and put in carbs until you start gaining, then cut back from there. Keep in mind that insulin is a hormone, so when your glucose goes lower, so does your insulin. all hormones work together and insulin does affect your menstrual cycle among other things. as a matter of fact, during my time of the month my blood sugar goes up, so my guess is the insulin goes up as well, (this might be too much personal information). Google insulin and menstrual cycle and see what you can dig up. Whatever you decide, Good luck!

zombiegoat2000 02-11-2013 06:49 PM

It took awhile but mine went back to normal and so will yours. Also, I had a nasty raman noodle craving that I gave into whenever I got mine, but I too got over it and so will you if you choose to do so.

flatferenghi 02-12-2013 05:34 AM

low carb is not everyone's answer, Alonewithyou.

you need to find what works for you. that ALONE is the right plan. Just make sure that your carbs are quality carbs. I do not know of 1 instance that white sugar and white flour were planks on the road to good health. Stay in the loop though. You are still our friend. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

socaligirl714 02-12-2013 08:49 AM

mine wasnt always like taht but last cycle i was 20 days late. finally got it back and hope next time isnt like that

lisamt 02-13-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alonewithyou (Post 16249425)

I did Protein Power many years ago, and lost 40 lbs eating around 50 g carbs a day.