Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Why I don't weigh (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796608-why-i-dont-weigh.html)

Darkginger 02-07-2013 08:48 AM

Why I don't weigh

I re-started low carbing back in August - I knew roughly what I weighed then, and now know I'm down around 56 lbs from that - which is good. 4 weeks ago I joined a 'Bootcamp' low carb thread over at Mumsnet, which required a weekly weigh-in - and coincided with me being at my Dad's where there are scales, as opposed to home, where there are none.

Well, the first week of Bootcamp, I lost 2 lbs, 2 the 2nd week, 1 the 3rd and 0 the 4th. If I didn't know that, I'd be fine, but now I do know it, my mind is scratching away at the idea of switching things up so I lose more per week - to the extent that I read a book about IF last night, and started contemplating fasting a couple of days a week. This is (for me) nuts.

I am doing just fine low carbing, there is no way I should be even thinking about eating 500 cals 2 days a week - that way lies obsession for me - but still because of the stupid numbers on the stupid scales, I was considering it. Grrr.

You know, the moment I stood on those scales and saw the result, the maths started in my head - 'so, if I'm losing 2 lbs a week, by such and such a date I could be such and such a weight'. Then came the 'well, if I restrict myself a bit more, I could get to goal so much earlier' - and then suddenly there I was, back in my 20s, counting everything I put in my mouth, and being obsessed with my weight and my food.

I am stating right now that I am NOT going to weigh myself again (am going back home next week, where there are no scales, so no great struggle there!), and I am NOT going to obsess over numbers, I'm just going to eat clean low carb and the weight will shift (only got a little way to go now to goal). I'm just alarmed by how quickly my thought process went from 'just eat low carb' to 'I should cut back more, I am eating too much, I am losing too slowly' etc.

Right, there we are, have said it, got it off my chest, and am heading back to eating as I was eating, and knowing that it's the right way for me! Those scales are the devil for me, as is the concept of 'dieting' - this is a way of eating for life, and I will be content with a slow loss of these last 14 lbs. They will come off, and I will NOT obsess about it.

biancasteeplechase 02-07-2013 08:58 AM

You're a wise woman - and I think you're right: you could be thinking about much more important things than what you'll weigh in seventy-three and a half days. Well said!

lisamt 02-07-2013 09:32 AM

That sounds very sensible. My approach to scales is sort of a compromise. I like to see progress in numbers but don't want to become obsessed with the scale, so I've decided to weigh myself only once a month.

4myfuture 02-07-2013 11:29 AM

Darkginer -Your stats are beautiful, so you are obviously doing wonderful things, I agree with your post.

This is what I have to tell myself:
I've let the scale change how I feel too many times.
The scale has no feelings.
I do.
I will not empower it.
It will not make or break my day.

flatferenghi 02-07-2013 12:35 PM

you will know you re doing it right....

w/o a scale or a tape measure. This is because you will have a new feeling of well-being. Keep busy as much as possible, and before long, you will notice your clothes getting bigger, because you are getting smaller. That is a great feeling! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

trishthedish 02-07-2013 03:54 PM

I struggle with this. For me it is very hard to find a balance between checking my weight for accountability and obsessing over what the scale says. I have an official weigh in every other Friday to try and meet in the middle.

That scale has far too much psychological power!

Jennyl 02-07-2013 04:08 PM

I think you are very smart to look at it that way. I know that weighing is not always a good thing for me. I can tell when I've gained weight, I don't need the scale to tell me that. I can also tell when I've lost weight. Normal fluctuations can be blown out of proportion when you are scale obsessed IMO.

EricaW 02-07-2013 05:26 PM

I think you have a good attitude, Ginger. Well, my scale broke this morning (either that or I way precisely 3 pounds), so I don't need to think about it for a while! Sometimes when I weigh in every day I get frustrated at the pace in which I'm losing, but I'm really happy to have lost 20 lbs in about 40 days, so I'm going to go to a weekly weigh in and hope to see the numbers go down. I think once I get to my target weight, I won't bother weighing in at all and will just go with how my clothes feel.

Geekin' in Utah 02-07-2013 06:43 PM

Scales are obnoxious things. I think you are doing exactly the right thing by leaving them behind and choosing something better to measure your progress (e.g. "Am I eating the way I should be?").

I'm a computer/numbers geek, so weighing and graphing is critical for me, but I can step back and just look at the graph and be happy (well, mostly...I think about it for 15 minutes when nothing shifts for a few days). More importantly, for me, weighing daily first thing in the morning keeps me focused through the day. It makes sure my mind is in the right place.

mom23kids 02-08-2013 05:24 AM

The emerging research coming out about IF (including the 5:2 plan), is very exciting. There are gobs of people over on mums net who do 5:2 and some of them aren't doing it to lose weight, but are following it for the health benefits :) there are others who only weigh themselves once a week, once a month or go by how their clothes fit/measurements. Just wanted to point out that 5:2/IF does not mean obsessing about anything for most people, same as any other plan :) but op, it sounds like you've found the plan that works for you, so why mess with a good thing!