LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Why is Yogurt Good???

I'm been curious for a long time about yogurt and how many on diets eat this when there is so much sugar in it?

Really wondering, but not criticizing, maybe there is something I don't know.
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
The sugar in the yogurt, if you get the right kind which would be plain!!, is only from the natural sugar in milk. And with the fermentation process to make it yogurt, the bacteria eat some of the sugar therefore cutting down the sugar counts in the end that end up on the label. I hope that makes sense--it was a mouthful!!!

But it is important, according to Dr Oz from yesterday's show, because it has calcium. Calcium has been shown to bind with fat moving it out of the body!!! How exciting is that!!! I love full fat Greek yogurt and sweeten it myself and add my own fresh berries and nuts to make it a nice lunch. Enjoy!!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
The sugar in the yogurt, if you get the right kind which would be plain!!, is only from the natural sugar in milk. And with the fermentation process to make it yogurt, the bacteria eat some of the sugar therefore cutting down the sugar counts in the end that end up on the label. I hope that makes sense--it was a mouthful!!!

But it is important, according to Dr Oz from yesterday's show, because it has calcium. Calcium has been shown to bind with fat moving it out of the body!!! How exciting is that!!! I love full fat Greek yogurt and sweeten it myself and add my own fresh berries and nuts to make it a nice lunch. Enjoy!!
Thanks dawnyama. I get plenty of calcium a day as it is. Having read about what was said about eating Greek yogurt three times a day sounds like Activia. Good marketing tool.

Going grocery shopping this evening and might pick some up although I never found yogurt to be very filling to last very long. Your idea about adding fruit is really a great idea. I liked breakfast Activia because it was fast and easy, but stopped buying it due to the sugar.

Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Yeah, the only one that supports eating it 3 times a day. Oh, and now that you mention it, Daphne Oz is on the commercials. Duh!! Never made THAT connection. Now I have! I cannot even imagine how much THAT costs. I have a family of 6 to feed. We cannot be eating yogurt 3 times a day, each. That is just ridiculous. But I do love yogurt. I think I would burn out to quickly eating it before EACH meal.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yogurt (the real stuff) is fermented and offers a lot of great benefits because of that. Buy organic, full fat and Greek if you can find it.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Yogurt is good because it comes from the almighty cow, provider of tasty foodstuffs and general happiness?

... Yeah, I'm a carnivore.

More seriously, as already touched upon a solid plain yogurt with live cultures is not only delicious but a highly nutritious and moderately well tolerated form of dairy. Fermented foods, in general, are incredibly health boosters. The sugar and junk in most yogurt turns it into glorified icecream, it's true, but a full fat, REAL yogurt is a delight to both mouth and body.

Do be aware it is still fairly high in milk sugars (ie: carbs) so consume cautiously. My favorite brand is Greek Gods yogurt, plain and full fat. Half a cup of that and an ounce pecans is a decadent and delicious breakfast in a hurry.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Appreciate the educational input, ladies.

I'm hitting two grocery stores tonight and one sells wholesome foods so will wait to buy the yogurt there. I buy my meat and vegies from that one as they only offer local/USA farm produce and meats.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Yogurt is good because it comes from the almighty cow, provider of tasty foodstuffs and general happiness?

... Yeah, I'm a carnivore.

Seriously, greek yogurt is delicious, and if you are not dairy sensitive and are looking to add something nice and healthy and want to climb up the carb ladder a little, I would highly recommend it.

It certainly helps with your intestinal flora...

I make mine with chia seeds, flax seeds, some dried coconut, coconut milk and some coconut cream or oil... I up my fat and protein ratios a little and thus the lactose will also have a lesser impact. And... Coconut rocks!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think it has FAR too many carbs to be healthy for those of us with poor carb metabolism. That guy who publicized how most of the carbs are eaten up by the bacteria in making the yogurt was proven wrong a long time ago, but the idea is so appealing people keep believing it.

you can get somewhat the same effect with sour cream if you dilute it some with water and don't eat too much.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am not convinced either way about the nature and amount of carbs in yogurt. I find conflicting info on the subject. However, if a person picks a high fat content (I make mine) and strictly weighs the portion, it can be included even for me, who is very carb sensitive.

I have never found that it increases my appetite or causes a gain. On the flip side of that, it also doesn't help me lose. I eat it in spurts. When I feel a yen, I make a batch and when it runs out I can go a month or more without it. It does seem to quell any resurgence of gerd.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

ďEat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Activia DOES have a lot of sugar. Plain yogurt or Greek yogurt has much less- its just the natural sugars from milk. Plus Greek yogurt is further strained to make it thick, and this removes even more of the whey and lactose (milk sugar), so you are getting mostly the milk protein and fat concentrated down.

Quote:
I think it has FAR too many carbs to be healthy
I dont know exactly what the definition of "too many carbs" would be to different people, but most brands of Greek yogurt have 5 - 8g of carbs per 8 oz serving. (and a lot of the containers are only 6 oz). To me, thats a pretty reasonable amount, esp in exchange for the protein and calcium and Vitamin D I get from it. And its a nice change from always having meat and veggies.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Yogurt and dairy is one of those things that if you want to eat it for variety, fine. But it is not required for good health. Depends upon who you ask. There are those that think your bones will waste away if you don’t have it and those that think it is unhealthy.

For gut flora you can take probiotics or eat fermented veggies and not consume things that will get your flora out of balance to begin with. Sugar and processed foods.

I haven’t had a glass of milk since I was a kid. I don’t do dairy now. I do eat a lot of leafy greens and have for years. I also keep my Vit. D optimized. Calcium is just a small part of what helps protect our bones. Lots of trace minerals in veggies and good Himalayan salt are supposed to help. As is weight resistance exercising.

Dairy and gluten are pretty high up there on the food intolerance list. For me, it is very inflammatory.

I’m 56 yrs. Old this year and have great bone density.

Last edited by Erin57; 02-07-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
Yogurt and dairy is one of those things that if you want to eat it for variety, fine. But it is not required for good health. Depends upon who you ask. There are those that think your bones will waste away if you donít have it and those that think it is unhealthy.

For gut flora you can take probiotics or eat fermented veggies and not consume things that will get you flora out of balance to begin with. Sugar and processed foods.

I havenít had a glass of milk since I was a kid. I donít do dairy now. I do eat a lot of leafy greens and have for years. I also keep my Vit. D optimized. Calcium is just a small part of what helps protect our bones. Lots of trace minerals in veggies and good Himalayan salt are supposed to help. As is weight resistance exercising.

Dairy and gluten on pretty high up there on the food intolerance list. For me, it is very inflammatory.

Iím 56 yrs. Old this year and have great bone density.

I agree!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Yogurt and dairy is one of those things that if you want to eat it for variety, fine. But it is not required for good health. Depends upon who you ask. There are those that think your bones will waste away if you donít have it and those that think it is unhealthy.

For gut flora you can take probiotics or eat fermented veggies and not consume things that will get your flora out of balance to begin with. Sugar and processed foods.

I havenít had a glass of milk since I was a kid. I donít do dairy now. I do eat a lot of leafy greens and have for years. I also keep my Vit. D optimized. Calcium is just a small part of what helps protect our bones. Lots of trace minerals in veggies and good Himalayan salt are supposed to help. As is weight resistance exercising.

Dairy and gluten are pretty high up there on the food intolerance list. For me, it is very inflammatory.

I don't think we (adult humans) were meant to consume dairy as a part of our diet. Despite my love of dairy - and partly because of it - I stopped eating dairy & plan to keep it that way.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IslanderNL
Stats: 208/149/155 Maintenance
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 14, 2012
I've been eating greek yogurt for the last month or two off and on. I buy plain, very thick, yogurt which I sweeten with DaVinci syrup that is thickened with xanthan gum. I add berries as well and eat about half to a cup of it.

Each time I eat it, I lose weight. Perhaps its just coincidence, but its sure not making me gain and its beyond yummy. Like eating cheesecake for breakfast!
IslanderNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
I have eaten Greek yogurt 2-3 times a week since 2002 - for a long while I strained plain yogurt myself because the Greek yogurt was so expensive. But now the price has come down and have been buying it premade, unsweetened. However, the starined yogurt I made didn't upset my stomach, so I am probably go back to doing that. I am lactose intolerant and I think the store brand Greek yogurts leave a little too much whey still in it. But I couldn't live without my Greek yogurt a couple times a week.

The other thing is the store brand gives me a gas in the form of flatulence so I cannot have it during the workday, only at night or on weekends. This is a life experience.

Last edited by MaryMary; 02-08-2013 at 06:12 AM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/141/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I am now eating full fat yogurt w sf jello pudding powder mixed in. Still losing wt regularly. This combo was a staple during my last go round with LC. I love it and it loves me back
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderNL View Post
I've been eating greek yogurt for the last month or two off and on. I buy plain, very thick, yogurt which I sweeten with DaVinci syrup that is thickened with xanthan gum. I add berries as well and eat about half to a cup of it.

Each time I eat it, I lose weight. Perhaps its just coincidence, but its sure not making me gain and its beyond yummy. Like eating cheesecake for breakfast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
I have eaten Greek yogurt 2-3 times a week since 2002 - for a long while I strained plain yogurt myself because the Greek yogurt was so expensive. But now the price has come down and have been buying it premade, unsweetened. However, the starined yogurt I made didn't upset my stomach, so I am probably go back to doing that. I am lactose intolerant and I think the store brand Greek yogurts leave a little too much whey still in it. But I couldn't live without my Greek yogurt a couple times a week.

The other thing is the store brand gives me a gas in the form of flatulence so I cannot have it during the workday, only at night or on weekends. This is a life experience.
Are these the brand name plain Greek Yogurt? Or Greek God Yogurt?

I haven't made it to the grocery store that sells good products because it's a horrid experience to get a parking place as they're so busy. I might try to make it to Trader Joes today even though it's further away.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Good info, Erin. It's just that I'm looking for something for a snack that has good protein and fat. I've stayed away from yogurt for the reason I first asked the question. I appreciate the input I've received and I'm sure it's helpful to others.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post

I haven't made it to the grocery store that sells good products because it's a horrid experience to get a parking place as they're so busy. I might try to make it to Trader Joes today even though it's further away.
In my area of the country, southeast US, I can buy Cabot yogurt at the supermarket! So you might be able to find Greek yogurt at your local supermarket--no special trip necessary. I don't see the Greek Gods yogurt, but I think that yogurt types are regional. If I want Fage, I do have to go to Whole Foods.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I think it has FAR too many carbs to be healthy for those of us with poor carb metabolism. That guy who publicized how most of the carbs are eaten up by the bacteria in making the yogurt was proven wrong a long time ago, but the idea is so appealing people keep believing it.

you can get somewhat the same effect with sour cream if you dilute it some with water and don't eat too much.
That's definitely of many of them. I've only found one brands with 5 carbs per half cup serving, and that's the only one I'll eat. It's full fat and has no sugar besides the milk sugars, plus it is fairly low whey, so it works. But I agree for those with sensitive metabolisms or a lot of insulin resistance it could be very problematic!
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderNL View Post

My experience too!
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Calcium has been shown to bind with fat moving it out of the body!!!

Oh my. How big is the effect of calcium on fat? I eat fat on purpose, I don't want something binding with it and keeping my body from utilizing it! I'd take an Alli pill or something similar if I was going for that. I'm assuming you're talking dietary and not body fat, that I wouldn't mind so much.
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
The store brand is what I used to strain. Now the store brand makes a Greef yogurt fat free. If I want whole milk Greek yogurt, I strain it myself. I have tried them all, Cabot, stonyfield, Dannon, Chobain, Fage, Trader Joe's and my store brand...the Dannon was the most sour.

Last edited by MaryMary; 02-08-2013 at 08:08 PM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
I love yougurt always have either Fage or Dannon low carbin my fridge at all times. If ever I get hit with diarrea I eat yougurt stops it fast. Besides i make dip with it or use like sour cream or in my shakes. I had an aunt who claimed tobe glucose intolerant of milk. I asked how she knew and she said it gave her diarrea I used to beg her to eat yougart but no she just kept missing her milk.
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post

Seriously, greek yogurt is delicious, and if you are not dairy sensitive and are looking to add something nice and healthy and want to climb up the carb ladder a little, I would highly recommend it.

It certainly helps with your intestinal flora...

I make mine with chia seeds, flax seeds, some dried coconut, coconut milk and some coconut cream or oil... I up my fat and protein ratios a little and thus the lactose will also have a lesser impact. And... Coconut rocks!
And I totally hate coconut! I picked up plain Fage 2% yogurt last night at my local supermarket. Looked for full fat, but they didn't carry any at all nor the Greek God yogurt. I should have been patient and just waited as I have to go to Trader Joes today anyway for coconut oil. <- Yes, I'll put up with that. I'll add some to the yogurt along with blueberries I picked up last night.

Fage 2% sure has a lot of protein, but I do need more fat. Glad you said you do add coconut oil to your yogurt.

Sharon
Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amundson
Stats: 285/164/155
WOE: Atkins (w/ Protein Power ideas also)
Start Date: April 2010
Full fat Greek yogurt stalls me -- perhaps because I eat too much of it and put artificial sweeteners in it. I can't have it in the house because I can't stay away from it.
amundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IslanderNL
Stats: 208/149/155 Maintenance
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 14, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post

I'm in Canada, so the greek yogurt I buy is plain Liberte that I get at Costco. They have a coconut flavour one that I won't ever buy as there's about 29 carbs in the same portion size and obviously sugar. The Liberte has 5 carbs for 3/4 cup. I strain it overnight to make it extra thick, as it isn't as thick as I like straight from the tub. After draining its the consistency of soft cream cheese.

Sooooooo good!
IslanderNL is offline   Reply With Quote