Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Vacation in May (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796554-vacation-may.html)

Westbrookj1 02-06-2013 02:43 PM

Vacation in May

So I have been low-carbing it since early December, and I have not gone above 20 carbs a day. I have been avoiding sugar alcohols too for the most part. I will going on a cruise with my family in May, and I WILL NOT be low carbing on a vacation. I guess my question is should I slowly add in more carbs before the vacation or not? The plan is to hop right back onto the low-carb train when I get back (week-long cruise). How will I feel going from 20 carbs to god knows how many a day?

Kimberli33 02-06-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westbrookj1 (Post 16244043)
So I have been low-carbing it since early December, and I have not gone above 20 carbs a day. I have been avoiding sugar alcohols too for the most part. I will going on a cruise with my family in May, and I WILL NOT be low carbing on a vacation. I guess my question is should I slowly add in more carbs before the vacation or not? The plan is to hop right back onto the low-carb train when I get back (week-long cruise). How will I feel going from 20 carbs to god knows how many a day?

I can understand wanting to relax and have fun on your trip but why not consider moderate carbs while on your cruise?Say somewhere between 40-70 a day.You could eat all kinds of seafood,steaks,ham,prime rib,veggies,berries w/ whipping cream,and a few non lc treats.That way you might not gain back anything and will still feel in control of your woe.Oh,and have fun!!:)

LOL,Editing because I missed your bold "I WILL NOT" be lcing statement.

Psmileyf 02-06-2013 03:45 PM

You may change your mind by then because it will become more of a way of life.

Are you thinking you will eat whatever you want, or some special desserts, or pasta or drinks?

I would not suggest slowly adding them in because adding them back will make you crave them and may throw you totally off before you even go on your trip.

When I vacation I plan one meal I will have a dessert at. That's all.
Then it throws my belly into convulsions and I wish I never did it.

Mistizoom 02-06-2013 06:44 PM

I'm going on my first cruise in March and I'm planning to stick with low carb. I might have a sugar-free dessert or two (they have a sugar-free chocolate panna cotta I might scope out). At this point I think I would be ill the entire cruise if I started eating high carb foods when I arrived on the ship. So I guess if you really want to do it I would personally add back some carbs in the week or two before. But I agree with PP, moderate carbs would be better than going back to high carb in full force.

DiamondDeb 02-06-2013 06:55 PM

I'd feel horrible the whole time if I did that. You might not but if you feel better eating this way than eating junk I would put my money on your not feeling your best.

svenskamae 02-06-2013 07:23 PM

I would not start eating more carbs before your vacation cruise. It will just make staying on plan before the cruise that much harder.

Last night I went out for an early birthday dinner with a friend and ate a dessert with flour and sugar and chocolate for the first time in over a year. That piece of chocolate cake was certainly tasty--but today I've been hungrier than I can remember being for ages. One piece of cake equals extreme hunger the next day for me, even though I've been eating entirely on plan and letting myself have generous amounts of fat and non-starchy veggies to fill up. If you have a similar reaction, carbing up will just make the pre-vacation period difficult and uncomfortable.

Janknitz 02-06-2013 07:36 PM

I think a cruise is a great place to be mostly low carb and enjoying the heck out of it. Lobster and other fresh seafood, fancy cuts of meat, vegies in fat sauces. YUM! I would eat mostly low carb, but if you want the occasional piece of bread or pie or cake or cookie, go for it. Don't sweat it, but don't abandon it either.

sweetpoison 02-06-2013 08:18 PM

Take it from someone who knows..... if you want to shock your system and feel like big crap...... jump right in. If not...... ease in and just because it is a vacation does not mean you have to eat a super high carb diet... moderate is doable.

leeloo 02-06-2013 11:19 PM

I'd definitely wait until vacation to start indulging. I've never had a problem reaction from eating high carb foods, no matter how long it's been, but you could still ease into it if you're worried. Just don't go crazy the first day, and see how you feel.

RobbyC 02-07-2013 01:06 AM

I would say stay on plan until you go on vacation, but don't just eat junk to eat junk. Cruise food is great and there will be plenty on temptations, but don't eat to entertain yourself, even though food is availble 24/7.

Have fun and enjoy your vacation!

PassionateFire 02-07-2013 06:32 AM

I just returned from 2 weeks in Mexico, ate on plan until we arrived and did my best to eat as low carb as possible while still eating some 'treats'. i.e. One of my favourite drinks at the resort we stayed at the first week is a mango daquari, I used to drink these all day long and this trip I allowed myself 1 for the entire 2 week period. I had tacos and fries on occasion but ate steak w/sausage & cheese and wings other times. Drank more beer than I care to admit but only gained 5.8 lbs (and lost 3.8 the first day back on this WOE). My advise is don't stress yourself out to the point that you're not enjoying yourself and keep telling yourself that the first full day you're back you go right back on the wagon :)

Westbrookj1 02-07-2013 07:45 AM

Lots of great advice! Thank you all!

clackley 02-07-2013 07:49 AM

Because you have been very low carb for a number of months, you may have an adverse reaction if you suddenly consume high carb foods. I would not want to have that possible reaction on vacation and on a ship. You would be wise to start very slowly.

Hope it goes well for you and you have a fantastic vacation!

Britt1975 02-07-2013 09:01 AM

I was on Atkins before I got married in 2004 - I had been eating LC for at least six months and it was my first go round with this kind of diet - I loved it - I lost weight like crazy, had no problems with cravings or eating off plan - it was all awesome! However, our honeymoon was three weeks of theme park hopping in Texas - and I knew that I wasn't going to try and stay LC while on the honeymoon and I didn't want to be miserable by jumping back into carbs with both feet. About two weeks before the wedding I slowly started adding some higher carbs to my diet - starchy vegetables, small amounts of bread and some pasta. I was working out like a fiend (to make sure my dress fit) and drinking water like crazy - so I really didn't see any gains before the wedding (thank goodness) and I didn't become a binge monster. I did continue to avoid sugar up until my first bite of wedding cake - and then the cravings began.

The upside was that by reintroducing the carbs slowly prior to the trip, I didn't have any yucky 'readjustment' period while on my honeymoon. The downside was that once I ate that sugary cake, it was all eating ALL the time!!! By the time we returned home three weeks later most of my clothes were uncomfortably tight. Instead of jumping back on the LC wagon - I gained more than 100 lbs over the next 5 years. For the last 4 years I have tried to get back on the wagon over and over again - I start and stop, gain and lose but until this go round I've never had it easy the way I did with my very first try.

I completely understand where you are coming from, not wanting to try and stay low carb while surrounded by carby foods - I felt exactly the same way. I can only say that if you go off plan for a week, be absolutely committed to coming home and getting right back on plan. Start over again the second your feet are on dry land - don't wait, don't make excuses, and definitely don't bring any non LC goodies home!!! Just get back in the LC groove without delay.

My only other bits of advice would be to maybe limit yourself to carbs that won't set off a binge monster (if you know what that is) and to drink lots and lots of water!!!

Good luck! I hope you have a great time - and I hope we see you right back here when you return!!!

clackley 02-07-2013 10:08 AM

Britt1975, after a successful run with Atkins, I jumped off for a single meal and it took me literally years to regain traction as well. I feel fairly certain I won't be doing that again. It appears some are more carb sensitive than others and some of us just have to learn the hard way.

I have been on a few vacations and always been able to comply with my woe without problem. Nothing is worth the struggle that I had getting back on plan. It is just the way I eat now. End.of.story.

Darkginger 02-07-2013 10:21 AM

clackley, I'm exactly the same - I can pinpoint the meal (on my birthday) that diverted me from 3 years of maintenance back to weight gain and misery. That's all it took - one meal, and I was off eating the planet again.

I worry that the thought of eating off plan is attractive - that tells me that you (the OP) are not seeing this as a way of eating for life, but as a 'diet' where you're not eating the things you want to eat. Try to think of low carbing as being good to yourself, as making you healthy - as doing the best for yourself that you can. With all the good low carb foods available on a cruise, why do you want to eat stuff that's bad for you and makes you a) fat and b) feel bad? Sorry if this is a bit blunt, but whenever I see people talking about eating off plan, I wonder why, because - for me, obviously - this way of eating is about finding stuff I love to eat, which is NOT bad for me or my health.

I'd love to go on a cruise - but 'd be looking forward to rare steaks, lobsters, shrimp/prawns, and someone else doing the cooking! Eating sweet/carby stuff is not really indulging, it's eating things that'll harm you - for the sake of 5 minutes mouthfeel and taste. I would urge you to think again about not low carbing on your vacation - remember 'treat, don't cheat'!

No matter what you decide to do, I hope you have a good time :)

Britt1975 02-07-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16245590)
Britt1975, after a successful run with Atkins, I jumped off for a single meal and it took me literally years to regain traction as well. I feel fairly certain I won't be doing that again. It appears some are more carb sensitive than others and some of us just have to learn the hard way.

I have been on a few vacations and always been able to comply with my woe without problem. Nothing is worth the struggle that I had getting back on plan. It is just the way I eat now. End.of.story.

I hear you!!! If I could go back and do it again - I would FIND a way to stay LC - or at the very least - moderate carb! I honestly believe that I will never be able to have sugary foods again - it just does something to me, I lose control. I now have to view cakes, cookies and full sugar soda as poison that will wreck me - because it does.

clackley 02-07-2013 11:24 AM

Yup it is trading up on the food chain!!:D

Trillex 02-07-2013 12:11 PM

I will also be going on vacation in May and I am LEGITIMATELY FRIGHTENED. I like the food I'm eating on Atkins, I'm always satisfied and I've been really happy with the day-to-day eating experience. I have frequently gone out with friends, colleagues, and family members and I've had no problems ignoring the off-plan food that's on the table. I've stayed on plan through weddings, holiday parties, my birthday, and all-day department meetings that served nothing but bagels and pastries.

But I'm frightened of *myself* on vacation because I have a terrifying track record in Italy -- I've visited the country about every other year of my adult life and every summer during college breaks -- and a big part of what I do there is EAT! I'm planning my summer vacation right now and I realize how absurd my behavior has been in Italy -- my days usually revolve around seeking new things to eat, and eating everywhere along my daily route. That behavior truly is absurd because there's so much that I love about Italy that is *not* food. I love talking to new people. I love hanging out. I love clubbing. I love dancing with Italians. I love bar music. I love watching people. Food never had to be the focus of my experience in Italy but I have always behaved as if it did, and my weight gain definitely reflects that behavior.

My Atkins experience has taught me a lot of important, life-changing lessons -- I've learned that it doesn't take massive amounts of food to satisfy my appetite, I've learned that I really don't *love* bread or pasta or potatoes or ice cream, the most wonderful thing is that I've learned that the satisfaction and excitement that I crave from life does *not* revolve around food. This diet and exercise program has helped me regain my health and strength and I absolutely love how I feel now.

I *hope* I'm mentally and emotionally a different person today than I was on previous vacations, and that I will put the love of my health and my newfound strength above my obsession with food. I have put my health first for the past nine months that I've been on Atkins. But I am truly frightened that I will fall into dangerous old habits while on vacation. I don't feel that I can look into the future and say with absolute certainty what I *won't* do in a given situation.

So I've been keeping a list of things to remind myself of my health priorities -- and I've made videos of myself speaking to "future me" to remind myself why it's so important to eat according to my plan. I hope I can hold it together while I'm on vacation and continue being the person that I'm working so hard to become. But I can't be sure. *Feeling* like my mindset has changed is not the same thing as truly having a changed mindset.

But I do think that -- whether it's about the original poster going on a cruise or about my upcoming vacation -- we can't change our health for the long-term if we don't change our mindset about the way that we enjoy ourselves with regard to food.

nolcjunk 02-07-2013 12:24 PM

I agree with those saying that you should decide what off plan foods you would enjoy the most and have them, and not use your vacation as a carb free for all to eat all the stuff that you didn't eat while on this diet.

I have had no problems on vacation with going off plan for a dinner or some drinks and then going right back on plan. But, it depends on the food- it has to be something that I really like or something that is specific that a local cuisine.

I've been at goal for years now and higher carb foods don't control me, but you have to know yourself. I mean food is food, it doesn't make you do anything, you decide whether to eat it or not. I know that I can eat a dessert and have a sugary drink and be right back on plan without any real weight gain, so I do it.

Your vacation is in the summer so I think that's even more incentive to stay away from tons of carbs. There is nothing like knowing that you are going to be putting on a bikini the next day to make you think about the consequences of your food choices.

I plan to continue eating low carb for the rest of my life and I think higher carb meals are part of that, even Dr. Atkins addressed that in his books.

flatferenghi 02-08-2013 08:26 AM

apart from any other consideration....

if u are going from Induction level to a high carb woe, you will simply feel physically terrible, with no energy to do anything. That cannot be what you want on a cruise. Also, by the time May gets here, you may have no desire to go back to the old way of eating. There are countless choices of low or lower carb foods on a cruise. Be selective. And please, post some pix of the cruise, especially the buffets heh heh heh. Bon Voyage! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

LoriAS 02-08-2013 09:36 AM

Coming from someone who just returned from Vegas - I had no problem eating amazing Low Carb food. with all of the prime rib, crab legs, lobster, breakfast buffets (with made to order omelets!) it was a fantastic vacation. I did consider more than once having that donut or chocolate chip cookie. But all in all I'm glad I didn't ruin my vacation with the lethargy that follows a high carb meal. I was very busy walking, climbing and sightseeing and I was very happy to do it with tons of energy.

I know everything is different for every person, but I enjoyed this vacation being about the time spent with DH and SEEING what was going on around me and not about planning the next meal. Eating was simply a necessity, not part of the vacation. We literally ate as quickly as we could to go on to enjoy the next thing we had planned.

At other times while not on vacation, namely holidays and birthdays, I will plan to have a bite of cake or a bite of my favorite HC dish, but I plan very carefully. I eat my regular LC meal and then I have my bite. It never seems to be what I have built it up to be.

I hope you enjoy your vacation/cruise, whatever choices you make.

mainemom 02-09-2013 01:09 PM

Hey, Westbrook - I can relate to your dilemma. My family and I took a trip to France and Italy when I'd been on LC for about the same amount of time you will have been LC by the time of your cruise (for what it's worth, I DON"T think you should start eating more carbs before - keep your health LC patterns in place). I was very worried. I'd done so well, had finally kicked my cravings, was losing weight and feeling amazing. BUT, I didn't want to feel resentful and feel I'd missed any special foods while in Europe. My thought process was this: in the past, vacations were always a free-for-all excuse to eat any and all crappy or good food in sight. LC has made me much more MINDFUL of what I eat. With that in mind (pun intended), I decided that I would eat foods that I really wanted to eat - croissants and creme brulee in France, some pasta and crusty bread in Italy, and, of course, amazing wine in both countries! That said, I did not give myself permission to eat anything and everything with abandon, as in past vacation mode. I truly did find myself leaning more towards meats, cheeses, fats, veggies as I enjoy all those things so much more now than I did in the past. And when I chose (and note I said "chose," not "absentmindedly consumed") to eat a carby item, like a buttery croissant or rich gelato, I enjoyed every single, luscious bite with true appreciation and no guilt. And if, after all that anticipation, that food did not taste good, I just didn't eat it (goes against all my "don't waste food" upbringing), as I couldn't justify eating something with that many carbs if it didn't taste good. I knew there would be more tasty treats I'd want to try. I didn't feel bloated or energy-sapped as I have on past free-for-alls, and I mindfully ate my way thru those 2 countries without feeling one bit resentful or deprived. I've never been on a cruise, but I hear the choices are amazing, so you won't be stuck with no options - just several for you to mindfully consider. Have a WONDERFUL time!