Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Carbs all day or finish carbs early in the day? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796547-carbs-all-day-finish-carbs-early-day.html)

Julie1972 02-06-2013 12:21 PM

Carbs all day or finish carbs early in the day?

I am currently doing Atkins induction and limiting my carbs to 20 grams per day. I am curious if it is better to eat all 20 grams of carbs earlier in the day and try not to have any carbs after lunch. Alternatively, would it be better to eat all of my daily carb allowance in one meal? I was reading about Bob Harper's weight loss methods and many of his rules fit well with a low carb WOE. One of his rules (all pasted below) is no carbs after lunch. I have noticed that I do better on the scale when I don't eat a big dinner. Welcome thoughts/comments!

Here are rules 1 to 20 of The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper

1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal. No excuses.

2. Don’t drink your calories.

3. Eat protein at every meal – or stay hungry and grouchy.

4. Slash your intake of refined flours and grains.

5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber every day.

6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day.

7. No carbs after lunch.

8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.

9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right.

10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones.

11. Get rid of those white potatoes.

12. Make one day a week meatless.

13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods.

14. Eat a real breakfast.

15. Make your own food and eat at least 10 meals a week at home.

16. Banish high-salt foods.

17. Eat your vegetables. Just do it.

18. Go to bed hungry.

19. Sleep right.

20. Plan one splurge meal a week.

From Bob Harper’s The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin

jmc305 02-06-2013 12:31 PM

18. Go to bed hungry. Hmm...I guess Mr. Harper didn't grow up poor. Going to bed hungry is not fun and I don't recommend it. I don't think you should make a pig of yourself and then go to bed 5 minutes later, but making a "rule" that you HAVE to go to bed hungry EVERY DAY...No thanks.

princessmommy 02-06-2013 12:38 PM

I agree jmc305! I don't go to bed hungry. I tend to eat my carbs evenly throughout the day. Probably more though towards lunch and less at supper since we eat about 8:00pm when DH gets home from work.
I love Bob but don't agree w/ what he's saying there

Julie1972 02-06-2013 12:42 PM

For clarification, I wasn't supporting the "go to bed hungry" rule, or any of his rules. I was asking about carb consumption throughout the day. I have no plan to go to bed hungry, but I am wondering if eating only protein/fats at dinner and eating my 20 g of carbs earlier in the day would be beneficial.

Ntombi 02-06-2013 12:54 PM

I eat dairy and egg derived carbs throughout the day, but vegetables in one meal, typically at dinner. Even eating way under 20g total, if I eat veggies earlier, I'll get very hungry throughout the day. That's the case no matter how much fat I have with it. This works for me. If I eat them later, I don't get quite as hungry, and I can have a fatty bedtime snack (often cream cheese or cheddar cheese) and be satisfied for the night.

avid 02-06-2013 12:58 PM

these days I'm listening to my body...that being said I do seek to not eat carbs after 6pm or so, but sometimes in the evening I get a desire for some peanut butter and so will eat a teaspoonful or two...
I do believe though that the earlier the carbs are utilized the better the diet.

DiamondDeb 02-06-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie1972 (Post 16243880)
For clarification, I wasn't supporting the "go to bed hungry" rule, or any of his rules. I was asking about carb consumption throughout the day. I have no plan to go to bed hungry, but I am wondering if eating only protein/fats at dinner and eating my 20 g of carbs earlier in the day would be beneficial.

It is best to spread your carbs out over 3 meals.

He is talking about carbs like grains - bread, rice, etc. You are not going to be eating those at all.

Leo41 02-06-2013 01:04 PM

Dr. Michael Eades endorses for everyone the advice that Dr. Richard Bernstein gives to diabetics--spread your carbs throughout the day--e.g., if you're eating 20g, try for 4/8/8/ The idea is to keep the insulin response as low as possible and to keep blood glucose stable.

I am not diabetic, but I follow this advice and limit my carbs for a single meal to 12.

Britt1975 02-06-2013 01:16 PM

Wow! I break almost half his rules!!! Rules 3, 6, 7, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20 just wouldn't work for me!

I eat all my carbs between 1 and 10pm. I don't 'eat' breakfast (just tea with EVCO and HWC) - so about half my carbs come from lunch and half come from dinner. I also never go to bed hungry - that wouldn't bode well for my ability to sleep through the night, or stick to my WOE. For years I did the "No food after 7pm" rule, but I'd wake up ravenous in the morning and head right for McDonalds. Now, I just don't do 'hungry' - If I'm hungry I eat. I also have to take pills before bed that require food - I usually choose a small, protein rich snack with limited (if any) carbs.

cfine 02-06-2013 08:46 PM

I like to spread my carbs out evenly throughout the day. It doesn't always work out that way though. I try to plan my dinner menu first so that I know how many carbs I can have at breakfast, lunch and snacks. If I don't do this I am more likely to run out of carbs by dinner, and then I'm starving by night time. If I have a meat and 1 cup veggies for dinner I can usually make it through the evening without wanting to eat.

Arctic_Mama 02-06-2013 09:01 PM

Dr Atkins advocates spreading carbs throughout the day, even during the maintenance of weight loss, as a general rule. It is less impactful on insulin release and blood sugar stability to break them up than front or backload them. I tend to have most of my carbs at lunch and some at dinner, with very few at breakfast. But the protein in my breakfast gives me plenty of energy coursing through my system without needing any carbs added ;)

Kenny's Wife 02-06-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16243907)
I eat dairy and egg derived carbs throughout the day, but vegetables in one meal, typically at dinner. Even eating way under 20g total, if I eat veggies earlier, I'll get very hungry throughout the day. That's the case no matter how much fat I have with it. This works for me. If I eat them later, I don't get quite as hungry, and I can have a fatty bedtime snack (often cream cheese or cheddar cheese) and be satisfied for the night.

I hope you do not mind, but I am going to copy you on the eating the veggies later...I am good all day, but the evening after dinner I want to eat, so if this helps, it will make my weight loss so much easier! Thanks for sharing this.:goodpost:

Ntombi 02-06-2013 09:32 PM

That's what we're all here for: to share what works for us. :)

ravenrose 02-07-2013 09:02 AM

the whole point of limiting carbs is to limit insulin levels. if you eat the carbs all at once, you defeat the purpose. not entirely, but somewhat. better to space them out. and those with bad insulin metabolisms do better NOT having carbs very early in the day. our blood sugars (and therefore insulin levels) tend to be too high early in the morning even without food.

Arctic_Mama 02-07-2013 03:04 PM

Yeah Ravenrose. That's been my experience. Different bodies have different needs, but generally I find Dr. Atkins to have been correct in that point. I don't struggle much with hunger in the evenings, though, and am usually done eating by 5:30 or so, and go to bed pleasant satisfied but not 'full' four or so hours later. I eat almost all my food between 9:30-5:30, which keeps me more satisfied than a wider eating window. But this is very personal - the general idea of not spiking insulin too much for too long is a sound one but individual preferences will vary :)

rubidoux 02-07-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16243931)
Dr. Michael Eades endorses for everyone the advice that Dr. Richard Bernstein gives to diabetics--spread your carbs throughout the day--e.g., if you're eating 20g, try for 4/8/8/ The idea is to keep the insulin response as low as possible and to keep blood glucose stable.

I am not diabetic, but I follow this advice and limit my carbs for a single meal to 12.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16245570)
the whole point of limiting carbs is to limit insulin levels. if you eat the carbs all at once, you defeat the purpose. not entirely, but somewhat. better to space them out. and those with bad insulin metabolisms do better NOT having carbs very early in the day. our blood sugars (and therefore insulin levels) tend to be too high early in the morning even without food.

Yes! Most (all?) people's bodies have a harder time with carbs in the a.m. Long before I discovered low carbing I realized I couldn't eat carbs in the morning without crazy blood sugar all day. Bernstein advises 6-12-12, six grams with b'fast, and 12 each with lunch and dinner because of this.

I also agree that spreading it out over the day is better if you're trying not to spike your insulin, which I think is what we're all trying to do. :)

picklepete 02-07-2013 09:17 PM

I generally agree--however, one of the main benefits claimed by intermittent fasting folks is that it increases insulin sensitivity by reducing circadian stress, i.e. a feasting pattern that's reliable will become less harmful over time.

All I would add is that it's probably unwise to eat at strange times or when you're not hungry just to split carbs, since all meals produce an insulin curve.

Ntombi 02-08-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16243907)

I just want to point out that I'm not diabetic, not pre-diabetic, and I don't even think I'm particularly insulin resistant. Because I'm curious, and have access to BG meters, I test my levels when the mood strikes. I don't see crazy blood glucose spikes or anything, I just tend to get hungry much sooner when I eat my non-starchy veggies.

YMMV. :)

Punkin 02-08-2013 04:21 AM

My opinion based on experience of some of these rules, I will comment and insert below. It might help you decide which ones to follow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie1972 (Post 16243824)

Here are rules 1 to 20 of The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper

1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal. No excuses. Agree.

2. Don’t drink your calories. Agree

3. Eat protein at every meal – or stay hungry and grouchy. Do not agree, fat for some people provides more satiety than protein, also some people have a high insulin response to protein, in which case the protein almost acts the same way carbs do. Also small people can't eat as much protein so they may easily over do it.

4. Slash your intake of refined flours and grains. Agree.

5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber every day. Agree, although some people do better with more and it should include both soluble and insoluble fiber.

6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day. Do not agree because some people can't handle fruit because of high insulin reponse.

7. No carbs after lunch. Do not agree, for people who have problems with insulin it is better to spread the carbs out over the day to keep the blood sugar as stable as possible.

8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating. AGREE, but also check the foods online or using a reference book, because I have found some labels to be incorrect.

9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right. AGREE. Weigh everything until you become a master and then you can estimate.

10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones. Agree, you lose the ability to taste the natural sweetness of foods when using sweeteners.

11. Get rid of those white potatoes. Do not agree, some people can handle potatos in small doses or once/twice a week. It isn't necessary to cut them out unless you are severely carb intolerant.

12. Make one day a week meatless. Agree. Once in awhile it is a good idea to have a meatless day to see how your body handles a diet without protein rich foods. But it is important to replace the meat with fat for satiently. Low carb/low fat is not a good diet for most people.

13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods. Do not agree. Fried foods are perfectly healthy, especially when made at home. With fast foods, many restaurants now have their menus posted online so you can see exactly what is in them. You need to be aware of what you are putting in your mouth. For example if you are eating a fast food hamburger thinking it is low carb, you can actually check their menu to make sure it is!

14. Eat a real breakfast. Do not agree. You can fast through the first meal of the day or you can have a small breakfast and eat at 11am. For some people that works just fine.

15. Make your own food and eat at least 10 meals a week at home. Agree and disagree. It is easier when making your own food because you can control what you put in your own food, although once you master your diet, eating out isn't a problem. You just need to be fully aware of what is going into your food. If you are going low carb, you don't want to be eating hidden carbs. Me, I have just decided to keep it simple and eat food that looks like someone just picked it, gathered it, or slaughtered it. Then I add everything myself to turn it into food. But I also have a plan for when I am out, as to things I can eat. I have looked up information about these foods ahead of time so I know what's in them. For example if I have to stop at a gas station and need a snack. Its a bag of plain nuts, which most of them carry now.

16. Banish high-salt foods. Do not agree. Salt is an important electrolyte, some people on low carb diets need salty food.

17. Eat your vegetables. Just do it. Agree and disagree. Technically you don't need them, but they do contain fiber and minerals. And for that reason they are probably the best source of carbs. If you are going to take in carbs, the better way to do it is through vegetables.

18. Go to bed hungry. Disagree. If you are losing weight maybe. But not if you are trying to maintain your weight. There is also a difference between "carb induced" hunger and true hunger. People can be carrying 50lbs of extra fat on their body and still go to bed hungry so what does hunger really tell you?

19. Sleep right. Agree.

20. Plan one splurge meal a week. Disagree. For long term maintenance there should not be any splurging because if there is it means you are restricting somewhere along the line. Restriction sets you up for failure. But to get to that place, you need to really be a master at your diet. For a lot of people that could be a long way off.

From Bob Harper’s The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin

Just some of my opinions so I hope they help!:)

enna1477 02-09-2013 08:22 AM

Go to bed hungry - I rarely have that deep down hunger in the evenings anymore but in the early days after going LC I had some white knuckle nights where I was consumed with the urge to munch. Going to bed early was my solution and it was always so amazing and satisfying to wake up without a trace of hunger even though I'd felt I was starving to death the night before.

Kenny's Wife 02-10-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enna1477 (Post 16249557)
Go to bed hungry - I rarely have that deep down hunger in the evenings anymore but in the early days after going LC I had some white knuckle nights where I was consumed with the urge to munch. Going to bed early was my solution and it was always so amazing and satisfying to wake up without a trace of hunger even though I'd felt I was starving to death the night before.

I did this very thing last night, went to bed early and woke up feeling good! When I eat too late, I feel like I am pulling myself out of a food coma in the morning. I like NO fog mornings! :)