Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   quick weight loss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796344-quick-weight-loss.html)

SchoolPsych1979 02-05-2013 08:30 AM

quick weight loss

Morning all!

I know quick weight loss is controversial, etc but I need to lose as much weight as I can by July. I'm 247. My ultimate goal is 140. Please only those who can support can respond on ways to speed up the weight loss. I know a clean induction, but any other tricks? Thank you for your input! You guys rock!

svenskamae 02-05-2013 08:59 AM

Search for posts relating to "fat fast" on this website. Atkins does only advise doing them for a few days at at time, though.

VivaaLaCarlos 02-05-2013 09:00 AM

i lost 50lbs in in 5months by following strict low carb with cheats here and there. remind you i was 20 at the time and a male, well im still a male lol.. i also didnt exercise. weightloss is a slow process. the more you rush it the more it seems slow. im struggling with this now.

mom23kids 02-05-2013 09:11 AM

I've lost around 30lbs in about 4 months mostly with juddd. I'm also fond.of short term hacks to keep my body guessing, like the potato hack, meat and egg fast etc :)

Kimberli33 02-05-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16240733)
Morning all!

I know quick weight loss is controversial, etc but I need to lose as much weight as I can by July. I'm 247. My ultimate goal is 140. Please only those who can support can respond on ways to speed up the weight loss. I know a clean induction, but any other tricks? Thank you for your input! You guys rock!

the "quickest" form of weightloss ive found...is whatever you can actually stick with .Otherwise its just a rollercoaster of a few lbs lost a few lbs gained over,and over,and over:stars:

SchoolPsych1979 02-05-2013 09:16 AM

Thanks guys! Trying to find that balance but at the same time get good results. I'm in two weddings this summer. Yikes

SchoolPsych1979 02-05-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16240833)
I've lost around 30lbs in about 4 months mostly with juddd. I'm also fond.of short term hacks to keep my body guessing, like the potato hack, meat and egg fast etc :)

What's a hack?

lterry913 02-05-2013 09:25 AM

Atkin's induction got 25 pounds of in 2 months...you can stay at induction level carbs after 2 weeks and switch out the new food that are supposed to be introduced 5 to 8 carbs at a time...that's what I did because I lost well at 20 net carbs...good luck to you.

Taxbane 02-05-2013 09:29 AM

Allocating suffcient excercise time to strength training, which builds muscle thereby boosting your metabolism which burns more calories and makes you look better.

IMO, twice a week, 15 minutes sessions are all you need. You have to do low reps (3-6 perfect form), heavy weights (80% max), and about 3 sets for each major muscle group (Chest, Back, Shoulders, Gluts, Hams/Quads). This type of workout wont make your muscles swell up like a body builder (who does lots of 10+ reps, and 5+ sets in an attempt to pack as much glucose and water into the muscle cells to get them as big as possible). Instead the heavy weights, perfect form, low sets, low reps, help strengthen/build actual muscle fibers and neural conncetions to them.

SchoolPsych1979 02-05-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxbane (Post 16240874)
Allocating suffcient excercise time to strength training, which builds muscle thereby boosting your metabolism which burns more calories and makes you look better.

IMO, twice a week, 15 minutes sessions are all you need. You have to do low reps (3-6 perfect form), heavy weights (80% max), and about 3 sets for each major muscle group (Chest, Back, Shoulders, Gluts, Hams/Quads). This type of workout wont make your muscles swell up like a body builder (who does lots of 10+ reps, and 5+ sets in an attempt to pack as much glucose and water into the muscle cells to get them as big as possible). Instead the heavy weights, perfect form, low sets, low reps, help strengthen/build actual muscle fibers and neural conncetions to them.

In addition to cardio right?

fozzie99 02-05-2013 09:45 AM

In addition to the weight training you want to WALK moderate pace. To keep your glycogen stores depleted as much as possible. Your body takes its fat stores to use to replace the glycogen and to fuel your low stress exercise (walking).

abby! 02-05-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Morning all!

I'm afraid the only way to lose THAT fast is to cut the calories really low in addition to LC which means you'll feel the pain. I did 900-1000 calories a day and had good success once. Not saying it's the healthiest thing in the world but you need to do this fast.

That said, July stars in 5 months. 21.4 pounds a month and about 5 pounds a week, every week, is going to require some serious cardio as well as a severe diet. We're talking The Biggest Loser show type numbers here. it CAN be done and I'm rooting for you but if you lose 10lbs a month, don't be discouraged.

mojocat 02-05-2013 09:58 AM

I'm very carb sensitive and haven't eaten bread/starches in over a year. The quickest weight loss without a doubt is HCG but I'm not sure if it's your thing or not.

cfine 02-05-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

I have added a 20 minute high intensity cardio into my routine. I do 2-4 times per week. You can do this on any machine you like but I do the ellipitical. I do a two minute warm up, then on the even minutes I do thirty second as fast I as I and then do moderate speed for one and a half minutes. So at two, four, six..etc. I am giving it all I have. It is a quick workout, and I am losing inches faster than ever. I do the thirty second bursts nine times total and then a cool down. The weight might not come off as quick, but the inches will and that's what you are looking for, I think. Add in the weights that were suggested and you should have a good workout plan.

SchoolPsych1979 02-05-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16240970)
I have added a 20 minute high intensity cardio into my routine. I do 2-4 times per week. You can do this on any machine you like but I do the ellipitical. I do a two minute warm up, then on the even minutes I do thirty second as fast I as I and then do moderate speed for one and a half minutes. So at two, four, six..etc. I am giving it all I have. It is a quick workout, and I am losing inches faster than ever. I do the thirty second bursts nine times total and then a cool down. The weight might not come off as quick, but the inches will and that's what you are looking for, I think. Add in the weights that were suggested and you should have a good workout plan.

Is that Hiit? I have turbo fire which is a variation of high intensity bursts with low intensity. Looks fun. I'm going to incorporate also :)

SchoolPsych1979 02-05-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abby! (Post 16240956)
I'm afraid the only way to lose THAT fast is to cut the calories really low in addition to LC which means you'll feel the pain. I did 900-1000 calories a day and had good success once. Not saying it's the healthiest thing in the world but you need to do this fast.

That said, July stars in 5 months. 21.4 pounds a month and about 5 pounds a week, every week, is going to require some serious cardio as well as a severe diet. We're talking The Biggest Loser show type numbers here. it CAN be done and I'm rooting for you but if you lose 10lbs a month, don't be discouraged.

Thank you! I will definitely l feel that pain for sure but I have to do it. If I can get close to my goal I'll be happy. I bought the Atkins meals. So surprisingly good. Those have little calories. Not totally filling but enough. I might just eat those often and fill up on other things that are lower calories combined with low carb. Thanks for rooting!

nolcjunk 02-05-2013 11:06 AM

If you want to lose as much as possible, then you have to eat cleanly, forget about super calorific recipes, lc foods or making faux high carb things. Stick to every part of the plan- limit cheese, limit hwc, eat only the allowed foods, and be mindful of portions.

I would also not eat those Atkins meals. Products are not the way to quick weight loss. You need real foods with no fillers if you want to stay satiated on a small amount of food and to do it in a healthy way. Make simple meals like eggs with bacon or a roasted chicken with green beans or a salad.

No AS or diet sodas, no products, drink lots of water, and make sure that you are measuring everything and not eyeballing.

I don't think you can make 140 but I am sure that you can lose a substantial chunk of that. Also, obviously, no cheating or bending the rules or eating off plan.

If you follow all of this you will lose quickly, esp at the beginning. Make homemade broth and sip that to prevent fatigue and cramps, and take at least a multivitamin.

SchoolPsych1979 02-05-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16241149)
If you want to lose as much as possible, then you have to eat cleanly, forget about super calorific recipes, lc foods or making faux high carb things. Stick to every part of the plan- limit cheese, limit hwc, eat only the allowed foods, and be mindful of portions.

I would also not eat those Atkins meals. Products are not the way to quick weight loss. You need real foods with no fillers if you want to stay satiated on a small amount of food and to do it in a healthy way. Make simple meals like eggs with bacon or a roasted chicken with green beans or a salad.

No AS or diet sodas, no products, drink lots of water, and make sure that you are measuring everything and not eyeballing.

I don't think you can make 140 but I am sure that you can lose a substantial chunk of that. Also, obviously, no cheating or bending the rules or eating off plan.

If you follow all of this you will lose quickly, esp at the beginning. Make homemade broth and sip that to prevent fatigue and cramps, and take at least a multivitamin.

Excellent advice. Thank you!

Taxbane 02-05-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 (Post 16240883)

It depends. Some people respond to cardio calorie expenditure differently.

(a) Sometimes people burn off calories no problem.
(b) Sometimes people get extra hungry and eat more to make up the extra calories expended.
(c) Sometimes people get extra tired, and end up sleeping more and/or moving less at other times durring the day/week when they would normally be more active.
(d) Sometimes it is a combination of the above.

No doubt cardio has great health benefits and worthy of inclusion in any WOE, but when considered purely for fat loss purposes, it depends on how an individual's body responds.

Jennyl 02-05-2013 12:27 PM

If I wanted to drop weight fast, I think I'd try Stillmans. There is a stillmans board here. I have never tried it myself, but I know some have lost a fair amount of weight pretty quickly.

Julie1972 02-05-2013 01:00 PM

I just finished one month on Atkins induction and I have lost 20 lbs so far. I was very strict with what I ate and I exercised EVERY day (3 miles on treadmill at 6% incline). I lost 12 lbs the first 8 days and it took the rest of the month to lose the other 8. I was watching both carbs and calories and I only had one cheat meal the entire month. In my case, I was doing everything I knew of to lose weight fast, but I think it may be very hard to lose more than a few pounds a week. With that said, everyone is different and there seems to be a broad range in how fast people lose weight on Atkins even when their diets are comparable. I wish you luck and recommend that you visit this site often for encouragement, ideas, and inspiration. It has been a huge help for me!

cantare 02-05-2013 01:16 PM

You just started induction & have plenty to lose so don't mess with carb-refeed hacks (like potato fast). Get fat-adapted by eating ~70% calories from fat, don't snack but eat full meals when hungry, take as many long slow walks (hikes/rides/rows etc...) at 55-75% max heart rate as you can with a few all-out sprints thrown in every week or so, and make sure you get plenty of good uninterrupted sleep. If you want to mix in fasting you can skip a meal occasionally, or try the lean-protein or fat-fast techniques for a few days at a time. 107 lbs is a tall order but even if you only lost half that it will make a huge difference!

GME 02-05-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennyl (Post 16241378)
If I wanted to drop weight fast, I think I'd try Stillmans. There is a stillmans board here. I have never tried it myself, but I know some have lost a fair amount of weight pretty quickly.

I was going to suggest Dukan, but I think it is pretty close to Stillmans.

I couldn't do it long-term, it is low carb and low fat. But if you are super motivated for a short-term goal it would likely work.

tobelowcarber 02-05-2013 02:05 PM

JUDD and walking

SchoolPsych1979 02-05-2013 02:51 PM

Thanks everyone!

mom23kids 02-05-2013 03:03 PM

A hack is a short term tweek that is meant to jump start weight loss and shake things up to keep your body guessing :) but they are not meant to be long term plans, usually just 1-5 days long.

Hot Tamale 02-05-2013 05:48 PM

Lots of good advice and suggestions around here... I can only add that you need to plan and prepare for anything. In other words, have low-carb food/snacks around for when hunger strikes. Drink bunches of water. Keep it simple...I would also avoid the frozen dinners in exchange for home-cooked chicken or seafood (I lose fastest when I eat fish and shellfish, then chicken, then pork & red meat...). Last but not least, I would strongly suggest some cardo and weight training several times (or, honestly, just about every day) each week. I wish you the best...as someone said, even if you only lose half of what you'd like to lose (and I am sure you can lose more than half!) you'll look and feel so much better!

SchoolPsych1979 02-05-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Tamale (Post 16242099)
Lots of good advice and suggestions around here... I can only add that you need to plan and prepare for anything. In other words, have low-carb food/snacks around for when hunger strikes. Drink bunches of water. Keep it simple...I would also avoid the frozen dinners in exchange for home-cooked chicken or seafood (I lose fastest when I eat fish and shellfish, then chicken, then pork & red meat...). Last but not least, I would strongly suggest some cardo and weight training several times (or, honestly, just about every day) each week. I wish you the best...as someone said, even if you only lose half of what you'd like to lose (and I am sure you can lose more than half!) you'll look and feel so much better!

Thank you! Seems like most are telling me to avoid those frozen dinners :/ they're yummy though. But I agree that I should keep it simple.

creseis 02-05-2013 10:44 PM

you might want to invest in a personal trainer to help you push yourself more in your workouts. I know your workouts might feel difficult, but a trainer will better be able to assess what you are capable of without getting hurt.

babycakez 02-05-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Morning all!

I lost 70lbs in 5.5 months by sticking to 20-30 carbs a day and every few weeks I would do a meat & egg fast for 5 days straight. I had a few cheats here and there as well but I ALWAYS stuck to plan following any cheat, never let myself derail. It is very possible to loose a lot of weight if you stick with your plan.