Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I would also say a very clean induction type plan, substitute vegetable oils for coconut oil, and drink your water and have 4 cups of green tea a day.
Move, but don't overexercise. I suggest going for 45 minute brisk walks every day.

Also, watch out for hidden sugars and starches in sauces like mayonnaise... You'd be surprised!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I wouldn't pick a plan based on quick loss.
I'd pick a plan based on lasting loss and my ability to stick with it.

You have until July to do well on a reasonable, healthy plan. And after the event, you might find yourself continuing to lose all the way to your ultimate goal because you are in the groove with your reasonable, healthy plan.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #33
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
Thank you! Seems like most are telling me to avoid those frozen dinners :/ they're yummy though. But I agree that I should keep it simple.
Maybe it's because i do juddd and not lc, but i've had no problems at all with frozen entrees and eat them several times a week. I just like them
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakez View Post
I lost 70lbs in 5.5 months by sticking to 20-30 carbs a day and every few weeks I would do a meat & egg fast for 5 days straight. I had a few cheats here and there as well but I ALWAYS stuck to plan following any cheat, never let myself derail. It is very possible to loose a lot of weight if you stick with your plan.
Did you do artificial sweeteners and did you watch portions?
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #35
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyl View Post
If I wanted to drop weight fast, I think I'd try Stillmans. There is a stillmans board here. I have never tried it myself, but I know some have lost a fair amount of weight pretty quickly.
Exactly what I was going to say! Stillmans is the most effective plan I've ever used. It's austere, but if you're feeling highly motivated, you can do it. I think that it's a good idea to cycle. Do a month of Stillmans followed by a month of Atkins, back and forth.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
At one time, I lost 50 pounds in three months doing a clean Induction. 20 carbs a day, no products of anY kind, no artificial sweeteners, cardio five days a week, drinking 80-120 ounces of water a day.

It was intense, but it worked... Until I gained it all back with interest!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
At one time, I lost 50 pounds in three months doing a clean Induction. 20 carbs a day, no products of anY kind, no artificial sweeteners, cardio five days a week, drinking 80-120 ounces of water a day.

It was intense, but it worked... Until I gained it all back with interest!
Lol!!!! With interest! I am looking for somewhat of a.lifestyle with good results. I need my diet sodas
Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hey, all. If you look at School's original post, she really wants to look good in those bridesmaid's dresses (which we all know are always soooo flattering). I do support you, School - I do know how important it is to want to look nice and have others notice you are thinner or, if it's people you haven't seen in a long time, you don't want them to see you've gained weight since you've last seen them. I get it. Been there, done all that.

Here's my 2 cents: Atkins, done cleanly, as so many have said, does produce excellent weight loss results for many, many people. And initially, loss can be achieved quickly, then steadily thereafter. But in addition to weight loss is vastly improved health. You will undoubtedly look better in many ways: brighter eyes and skin, thicker hair and nails, better posture due to less weight AND greater confidence, among other things. Good health shows in many ways, and a positive, upbeat mood, which I feel when I'm in a good LC groove, is very appealing, too! I don't know your age (1979 is when I graduated high school - ha ha - I feel old) or starting weight, but quick loss on Atkins is achievable, but steady is more realistic. I know it seem now that you don't care if it's healthful, but keep in mind that a long term, drastic "diet" can really wreck your body and metabolism, causing rebound weight gain and a rough, rough time of achieving loss and maintenance after those two weddings. Please take care of yourself and don't do anything too unhealthily drastic.If you stick with steady LC and keep portion control in mind, I believe you will get great results and be much thinner and look super healthy and confident by July. Keep coming to LC Friends and make sure to post pictures from the weddings!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
Hey, all. If you look at School's original post, she really wants to look good in those bridesmaid's dresses (which we all know are always soooo flattering). I do support you, School - I do know how important it is to want to look nice and have others notice you are thinner or, if it's people you haven't seen in a long time, you don't want them to see you've gained weight since you've last seen them. I get it. Been there, done all that.

Here's my 2 cents: Atkins, done cleanly, as so many have said, does produce excellent weight loss results for many, many people. And initially, loss can be achieved quickly, then steadily thereafter. But in addition to weight loss is vastly improved health. You will undoubtedly look better in many ways: brighter eyes and skin, thicker hair and nails, better posture due to less weight AND greater confidence, among other things. Good health shows in many ways, and a positive, upbeat mood, which I feel when I'm in a good LC groove, is very appealing, too! I don't know your age (1979 is when I graduated high school - ha ha - I feel old) or starting weight, but quick loss on Atkins is achievable, but steady is more realistic. I know it seem now that you don't care if it's healthful, but keep in mind that a long term, drastic "diet" can really wreck your body and metabolism, causing rebound weight gain and a rough, rough time of achieving loss and maintenance after those two weddings. Please take care of yourself and don't do anything too unhealthily drastic.If you stick with steady LC and keep portion control in mind, I believe you will get great results and be much thinner and look super healthy and confident by July. Keep coming to LC Friends and make sure to post pictures from the weddings!
Tracey, thank you for your input! I'm actually 34 I appreciate your advice! Makes total sense.... portion control is key and something a lot of low carb dieters miss
Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
Mother of the year

Gallery: Laprettygurl
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Feb 26, 2013
Hey! We are the same age and roughly the same weight. I'll see what my stats say in my sig but i'm sure they're wrong! lol. Also, my goal weight is 140. If you want to keep in touch and motivate eachother let me know!
Laprettygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillyme
Stats: 328/174.2/150
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 now hHCG
Start Date: Jan 2/07- restart Sept 2010
Quote:

Totally agree with this, don't do something drastic that is going to hurt your metabolism in the long run, it just isn't worth it!
sillyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohiocat
Stats: 252/174/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/5/2012
I started March 5th of last year at 252 pounds. On August 3rd (the time frame you are talking about) I was 201, so 51 pounds gone. I am a 49 year old female.

I followed Atkins, moved to OWL after 3 or 4 weeks, and exercised 3x per week. Honestly, I think my weight loss had very little to do with exercise and pretty much everything to do with diet, but the exercise helps keep your head in the right place.

I eliminated ALL sweets for several months (except diet soda) and ate NO faux breads or home-made desserts.

Keep it clean, avoid sugar alcohols, avoid regular alcohol too.

Good Luck!
ohiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #43
Mother of the year

Gallery: Laprettygurl
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Feb 26, 2013
I read somewhere that weight loss is 90% what goes in your mouth and 10% exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocat View Post
I started March 5th of last year at 252 pounds. On August 3rd (the time frame you are talking about) I was 201, so 51 pounds gone. I am a 49 year old female.

I followed Atkins, moved to OWL after 3 or 4 weeks, and exercised 3x per week. Honestly, I think my weight loss had very little to do with exercise and pretty much everything to do with diet, but the exercise helps keep your head in the right place.

I eliminated ALL sweets for several months (except diet soda) and ate NO faux breads or home-made desserts.

Keep it clean, avoid sugar alcohols, avoid regular alcohol too.

Good Luck!
Laprettygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Aussiegirl!
Stats: My Goal Is = 135
WOE: Researching HCG
Start Date: Soon!!!
A spray tan, big smile & a nice shawl usually takes off 10-15lbs
Aussiegirl! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brimmy
Stats: 300/232/199
WOE: Other LC
Start Date: 1/1/13
About 2 years ago I was in a similar situation where I wanted to lose weight as quickly as possible, and I had just had knee surgery from a torn ACL so cardio was out of the question. I was able to lose 60 pounds in 3 months without any cardio. HOWEVER it's not really sustainable. I helped 3 other people with similar eating styles as my diet, and although almost every one of them lost the weight, it came back on for every one of us over time. In the end, any quick loss will be nothing but a short term solution that you ultimately can't stick to. Also, losing weight quickly doesn't mean you'll necessarily look better.

Having some weddings to go to should be a great motivator to do something at least to better your health, but the non shortcut solutions people have suggested are really your best bets. I myself am now doing it the right way, and it's become part of my life, instead of a "diet". I do believe that I can eat this way the rest of my life.
brimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
I had to lose 20 pounds really fast one time and I did it by eating Lean Cuisines for lunch and dinner with the occasional salad thrown in for good measure. SF Jello & Jello Pudding for snacks and also a Fiber One bar every day. Did it in about 6 weeks. Atkins shakes for breakfast too.

I'm sure it will work with the Atkins meals too because basically it's a low calorie diet. You can do it!
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
I lost 70 lbs in 7 months this past year doing low carb (below 30) and keeping calories below 1200. I ate no red meat or poultry but some fish. I use erythritol for sweetener in tea. Something that has helped me a lot to LOOK like I've lost even more is Callanetics. I walk about 20-30 minutes a day. I'm 60. Good luck!
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
SchoolPsych- how is it going? It's been almost a week. I hope you're doing well.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Quote:

Excellent advice. Remember that when we choose a low carb lifestyle, one will look smaller at higher weights!!! I remember a picture of a woman that lost weight with low calorie then gained it back, then she lost weight with low carb. She took pictures of her at 146 low cal then later a pic at 175 low carb and she was SMALLER at 175 from LOW CARB than at 145 from low cal.

Just eat whole foods, no muffins or recreations of your favorite high carb foods, or any artificial sweetners. Atkins induction levels will help you reach a healthy and surprising size in that time!
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Suz1anne
Stats: 210.5/193/140 ~5' 3.5"
WOE: Eating Clean
Start Date: Dec. 2003
when I began Atkins several years ago, I lost my weight in 6 months by following Atkins Induction for 14 days and then OWL until goal. My weight has creeped up in the past year and I need to update my stats. I will probably go back to Atkins because I had much success and it was so fast. I didn't look emaciated or anorexic either. I know of no other way to lose it.
Suz1anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyN View Post
Excellent advice. Remember that when we choose a low carb lifestyle, one will look smaller at higher weights!!! I remember a picture of a woman that lost weight with low calorie then gained it back, then she lost weight with low carb. She took pictures of her at 146 low cal then later a pic at 175 low carb and she was SMALLER at 175 from LOW CARB than at 145 from low cal.

Just eat whole foods, no muffins or recreations of your favorite high carb foods, or any artificial sweetners. Atkins induction levels will help you reach a healthy and surprising size in that time!
About the weight thing, why do you think that is?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmy View Post
About 2 years ago I was in a similar situation where I wanted to lose weight as quickly as possible, and I had just had knee surgery from a torn ACL so cardio was out of the question. I was able to lose 60 pounds in 3 months without any cardio. HOWEVER it's not really sustainable. I helped 3 other people with similar eating styles as my diet, and although almost every one of them lost the weight, it came back on for every one of us over time. In the end, any quick loss will be nothing but a short term solution that you ultimately can't stick to. Also, losing weight quickly doesn't mean you'll necessarily look better.

Having some weddings to go to should be a great motivator to do something at least to better your health, but the non shortcut solutions people have suggested are really your best bets. I myself am now doing it the right way, and it's become part of my life, instead of a "diet". I do believe that I can eat this way the rest of my life.
Thank you! Really liked your post. Aside from the weddings I think people just want to lose weight quickly and move on with their lives. But your post really woke me up. Btw I'm in sd too
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laprettygurl View Post
Hey! We are the same age and roughly the same weight. I'll see what my stats say in my sig but i'm sure they're wrong! lol. Also, my goal weight is 140. If you want to keep in touch and motivate eachother let me know!
Yes, I'd love to buddy up!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am going to try to find that post (it's on another website) and get the explanation to you!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

I appreciate everyone's posts! I'm considering the carbohydrate addict diet. Looking at my history I had success with it. I know a lot of people say it can trigger their "addictive process" but when I do extreme low carb I was really depressed and it never went away. I know not everyone experiences depression/low energy but I did. With CAD I was not depressed at all, I guess it was because my brain was able to still produce serotonin due to eating carbs once a day. Even though I knew I was successful on it, I was being stubborn because I wanted to take it off quickly with extreme low carb. But after reading some people's post I'm going to do it a healthy way and going it a way that is livable.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmy View Post

What is your diet like now?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It seems I can not find that post with a good scientific explanation for you. I will just say as I recall that when you eat a low carb diet you tend to retain/build muscle because of the amount of protein eaten versus on a low calorie high carb diet. When we are losing fat and really shrinking that weight on the scale is reflecting the body's adjusting to the fat loss by holding water. Muscle takes up less room than fat also so even though 1lb of fat and 1lb of muscle weigh the same, they don't occupy the same amount of space. I found the pic of the lady I was talking about, and as soon as I figure out how to post it I will!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

LFvsLC.jpg.jpeg

Here is the pic. I hope I did this right! On the left she weighs 145 from low cal dieting. On the right 175 on low carb! Look at the difference!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyN View Post
Attachment 48483

Here is the pic. I hope I did this right! On the left she weighs 145 from low cal dieting. On the right 175 on low carb! Look at the difference!!!!
Wow! That's crazy and maybe I can higher my goal weight now!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow! That's crazy and maybe I can higher my goal weight now!
Maybe so. Ever since I saw this pic I have changed how I see "weight loss" I now think about shrinking moreso than that number on the scale! For example, I only lost 2 lbs last month according to the scale, but I shrank ALOT! I have gone down a size and a half. I am much smaller than that number on the scale as told to me by my clothes!

So just relax, choose a sensible lowcarb plan and see how much you shrink vs the number on the scale!!!