LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Coconut Oil

Has anyone incorporate coconut oil into their low carb diet and found that it helped them lose weight? I was told by a friend of mine to put a teaspoon of coconut oil in my coffee (or just swallow the teapsoon of coconut oil on its own). I have read mixed things online about coconut oil's effectiveness so I would really love to know what folks here have experienced.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your insight and advice. It is greatly appreciated!
GailyGail is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PenPen13
Stats: 150/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 09/09/11
Gail
I use 1 tsp of CO in my coffee everyday. I just make sure to use a mug that has a cover so I don't get a huge mouth full of oil when I take a sip!!
I have heard some say not to use it because it can stall them. I have stopped and started and found no difference.
I like to use it because of the benefits and it helps keep "things" moving for me.
PenPen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
I've found that it helps keep my appetite at bay. My scale is literally broken so I can't say whether it has helped me lose weight. BUT I feel as though I'm more in control of the hunger monster when I use CO in cooking or in my coffee/CO bark.
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/215/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I don't eat CO everyday, but it I'm having a little stall on the scale AND if I remember it, I will take 1tbsp. and usually the next day I have a loss. I just ordered some MCT oil because it does the same thing as CO, but it's liquid and I can put it in my smoothies. CO doesn't do well in cold things. It balls up and you get clumps. Yuck! I definitely think that you should give it a try and see what happens. My suggestion would be to cut back on your other fats a bit if you are going to incorporate the CO. If I have too much fat I gain.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I don't know if it's the coconut oil or just the general switch to low carb - but I've lost more than 15 pounds in three weeks and I have 2 Tbs of EVCO in my green tea every morning.

I used to stop at McDonalds almost every morning for breakfast, and I was hungry again by 10:30. Now, I have 2 Tbs of EVCO and 2 Tbs of HWC in a mug of green tea every morning and I don't even think about food until lunch time (between 12 and 2pm). But I have also drastically increased my water intake as well.
4th mini goal - 275 lbs
5th mini goal - weighing less than my husband

Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I have added it to my diet. I like that it keeps my candida symptoms under control, I get a nice warm steady energy and it does wonders for my skin.

If it helps with weightloss... That I can't tell you really. It certainly has not made a huge difference for me.

I do not add it as EXTRA to my diet, I am using it instead of some other fats, and I cook with it instead of other fats.

Actually, the only fats I'm using to cook with are coconut oil and butter at the moment. I use some Olive oil on salads.

I also use coconut oil as a moisturiser on my skin and I am oil pulling with it.

I decided to go the whole hog and use it for everything, LOL! Even the dog gets some...

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I eat a TBSP every morning. Helps to keep me full, keeps things moving in my digestive tract, and ups my fat intake.

Good all around.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
I started with it but for some reason just stopped. It is time to start it again.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

This is great advice and insight! Thank you so much everyone!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I also use coconut oil as a moisturiser on my skin and I am oil pulling with it.

Me too! I also use it along with a sprinkle of baking powder to wash my face at night - my skin has never looked better.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I love the Nutiva brand that I get from Netrition! I've been putting 2 tbls. In my hot coffee every morning and can't imagine not doing it! I eat a pretty high fat diet which is what I am attributing my weight loss to! It's fabulous for your body...my body LOVES organic virgin coconut oil!!!!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I also use it on my whole body My skin feels so good.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
I love the Nutiva brand that I get from Netrition! I've been putting 2 tbls. In my hot coffee every morning and can't imagine not doing it! I eat a pretty high fat diet which is what I am attributing my weight loss to! It's fabulous for your body...my body LOVES organic virgin coconut oil!!!!
i use Nutivia also and love it, i put a good size TBS in my tea every morning with a little cream-----i have not had a cold all winter, and every one around me has, infact, can't remember the last time i did--- so i am blaming the coconut oil for this----i use it for a moisturizer also, i can't be without this stuff---i buy it by the gallon and have one on stand-by
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
there are a lot of coconut oil threads I think. Many people swear by it.
Jennyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I use it to, I fry my egg in it every morning. I think it helps keep things moving, LOL!! I also love the way it taste-I also use the Nutiva brand!!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VivaaLaCarlos
Stats: 235/163/150-140ish
WOE: Ketosis
Start Date: June 2011
i use it for my hair, skin, and food. its great stuff. i just love the overall benefits of the oil. i cant say for sure if it helped me with weight loss though.
VivaaLaCarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Faith-n-Christ!
Stats: 196/190/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1-16-2013--Again, but hopefully-forever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post
Me too! I also use it along with a sprinkle of baking powder to wash my face at night - my skin has never looked better.
When you wash your face with it, do you melt it down first and then mix some baking powder with it? Also, are you a make up wearer? If so, does it remove your makeup or do you cleanse first and then follow up with the CO wash?
Faith-n-Christ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

You guys are totally right -- coconut oil is magic. I had a teaspoon this morning along with some coffee. I did not eat anything all day until dinner tonight at 6:30 PM because I was not hungry. One teaspoon of coconut oil kept me satiated and full. Wow!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1975 View Post
I cannot get over how great my skin looks. I have posted this before, and will keep talking about it! I have always had sensitive skin, with little red bumps on my arms and legs. I used to justify tanning, because that was really the only thing that helped. I also tried every expensive moisturizer known to man.

About three months ago, I started using straight coconut oil. My skin is smooth, bump-free, and beautiful! The bottom of my feet dont have calluses. I absolutely love.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
You guys are totally right -- coconut oil is magic. I had a teaspoon this morning along with some coffee. I did not eat anything all day until dinner tonight at 6:30 PM because I was not hungry. One teaspoon of coconut oil kept me satiated and full. Wow!
Yep! It's basically an injection of ketones so your brain will not complain about low glucose for a while. It's the perfect 'breakfast' when I don't have anything planned before lunch.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Coconut oil is known for a variety of health benefits but an important fact is that it increases blood ketones and obviously helps with the benefits of ketosis - like hunger (or lack there of)!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith-n-Christ! View Post
When you wash your face with it, do you melt it down first and then mix some baking powder with it? Also, are you a make up wearer? If so, does it remove your makeup or do you cleanse first and then follow up with the CO wash?
Just for clarification - I actually meant baking soda - not powder. As for the rest, I do wear makeup, including waterproof mascara and I have combination skin. I used to get incredibly greasy in my t-zone - so you can imagine that the idea of 'washing' my face with an oil just sounded ridiculous. But a friend of mine (with similar skin) started using this method that she read about on pinterest - and her skin has been looking fabulous. So I thought, what the heck, and gave it a try.

I have always had relatively clear skin, with mild hormonal breakouts - but since I started doing this, I have not had one single pimple and my skin tone has evened out to an all over healthy glow rather than splotchy red areas. Even my husband, who would be unlikely to notice if I shaved my hair in a mohawk, has commented on how fantastic my skin looks. That was proof positive for me that it was working.

I do not cleanse first, and that was hard to adjust to. I just scoop out a little with my fingertips - probably about half a tablespoon. Then I sprinkle a small amount of baking soda on top of the solid coconut oil (start with less than a tsp of soda - the scrubbyness of might cause skin irritation - you can always add more if you feel like it's not scrubby enough). Next, I start rubbing my hands together until the oil liquifies. Finally, I rub it all over my face, my neck, even behind and around my ears. I love the scrubby feeling of it, and the smell of the coconut oil is so soothing - I usually spend about five minutes just massaging it into my face and neck. I rub it gently over my eyelids and lashes to help remove the mascara. When I'm done, I take a warm washcloth and wipe the oil/baking soda off my face, it usually takes a few passes, rinsing well between each pass.

You may find mascara around your eyes afterwards, but I find that it easily come off with a tissue, cotton ball or cotton swab. I used to try and remove it with eye makeup remover before I washed my face, but the stuff I use is SUPER waterproof and I haven't found anything that takes it off without tearing out eyelashes. Until the coconut oil/baking soda combo.

In a few minutes any residual oilyness from the CO is gone, and my skin just feels soft and smooth. Before I go to bed, I dig out a little tiny dab more of CO - rub it together in my hands and smooth it over my face.

In the mornings, I do another round, but I only use the CO, no baking soda added, massage it into my face and then clean off with a warm washcloth.

I know I sound like an infomercial - but I swear, nothing has ever made my face and skin look and feel so good. I no longer have problems with oil slicks on my face halfway through the day - and I'm now using a mineral foundation with far less coverage than I used to. It's really amazing!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Britt,

Thanks for your 'infomercial'! I will start this, and report back at some point!

By the way, oil pulling with EVCO really whitens my teeth! I am a big tea and coffee drinker and I used to smoke as well, but there is no sign of any staining! And my tongue is so pink! My BF asked me if I was using a new whitening toothpaste, as my teeth were so white! The only toothpaste is a natural one which does not particularly whiten teeth...

Over the weekend, I consumed less coconut oil, and found myself less energetic.

And has anyone noticed how at the end of the day they have a nice tired feeling? And falling asleep is easier? (maybe that's just me!)
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I'm definitely gonna try this, Britt. I have never worn make-up or done anything special for my face. I don't even wash it, just a quick rinse in the shower. But I'm 43 and I am starting to see the signs. I bet some exfoliating and moisturizing is in order.

I think both baking soda and CO are wonder drugs. You can probably solve any problem armed with the two of them. lol
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I first read about washing with the CO I was thinking I could never do that because I have oily skin. I am going to try it though. I wonder if it will help my rosacea? I will report back
Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I have super oily skin and wear makeup. I shower at night and before showering, I scoop out about a tbsp of coconut oil, melt it in my hands, and slather all over my face, paying careful attention to my eyes to remover all eye makeup, neck and chest. In the shower I use my facial cleanser and when I'm done, my face is clean and soft.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #27

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it's very good for you, but it's FAT with its attendant calories. ues it as a healthy food, but not to lose weight per se. there are no magic bullets like that.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Faith-n-Christ!
Stats: 196/190/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1-16-2013--Again, but hopefully-forever!
Thanks for the thorough response Britt!!! I put some under my eyes last night and I could tell a difference in the small wrinkles! I will definitely be trying it as a face wash and a night face cream!
Faith-n-Christ! is offline   Reply With Quote