Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Stress (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/796315-stress.html)

readyfredy 02-04-2013 04:36 PM

Stress

is making me want to shove all sorts of horrible stuff into my mouth!

I keep repeating - it will not help, it will not help, it will not help.

Having another cup of tea and some chicken.

Ahhhh... talk me down from my usual way of dealing w stress please....

jhbyrd 02-04-2013 04:43 PM

I feel the same way today, It is time for TOM!! I keep telling myself I will not eat that crap it will make me feel worse!! Then my BAD self says yes but it will taste so good!!I have no advice but wanted you to know I feel the same right now!!! trying to white knuckle it!!LOL!!

Jeannie

reddarin 02-04-2013 04:47 PM

You could do it Bill Bixby style, back when no one thought it was odd that Dr. Banner's ripped up pants transformed into hemmed up shorts on the Hulk.

Visualize the food as a mafia thug. Leaning in menacingly. Mentioning how it'd be a shame if something happened to that happy feeling you are looking for. His two buddies, self-doubt and horrible-recriminations, keeping an eye peeled for the LC flat foot.

Then transition to the Mickey Mouse Club song not so much for continuity as for nothing beats a compulsion like disjointedness.

:)

svenskamae 02-04-2013 04:58 PM

Make a list of comforting, distracting things that don't involve food and then do some of them.

Let yourself articulate the stress instead of stuffing it away with food. Write an angry letter to the situation or person that is stressing you out; you don't have to send it, but writing it may make you feel better. Go somewhere private, and say outloud what you are feeling, such as "I hate how my boss constantly criticizes me and never recognizes what I do well! This is what I wish I could say to him ..."

Eating off plan doesn't solve the stress; it just distracts from it briefly and then adds a new source of stress and makes you feel bad.

You can get through this.

NAT&RD 02-04-2013 04:59 PM

Breathe
Stop what you are doing, sit up or stand up, and breathe, counted breath. I use 7 seconds in 7 hold 7 out. My sister does 5. consentrate on breathing. When your mind starts wondering to what ever is stressing you out, (and it will) bring it back to counting breath.

I know this sounds silly, but it works, got me through quiting smoking (years ago) though stress eating, deathes, devorce job losses etc

Journaling helps some people,

shamblyn 02-04-2013 05:15 PM

Awwwww :hugs: I have sooo been there. Maybe take a warm bath and then have a nice cup of warm coffee or tea and just put your feet up and relax. Sounds like you truly deserve it. Hang in there you are doing great.:)

snowmop 02-04-2013 05:34 PM

I know it's hard. A quote I saw on these boards might help: "If hunger is not the problem, then food is not the answer."

readyfredy 02-05-2013 09:49 AM

Thank you :) I made it. Phew.

dejaht 02-05-2013 11:11 AM

Yay, well done. Glad you made it through, lcf is an awesome support.

snowmop 02-05-2013 11:29 AM

Good for you!