LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monees lc
Stats: 187./170/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 2008
Atkins Meals

I purchased two of the new Atkins Meals this weekend from Walmart. Had the chicken alfredo for lunch and it is really good. I will bring the beef merlot tomorrow and give a rating on that one too. I think it will be a good option to bring lunch or to have a quick carb friendly dinner option.
monees lc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
I've been on Atkins for almost a year, successfully lost over 30 pounds.....before having babies a few years back I was on Atkins as well, lost like 40 pounds- and kept it off for over a year until I got pregnant. Not ONCE did I ever use Atkins meals or shakes or bars...

Then last week I was in the pharmacy and my tummy was growling. No real food in a pharmacy but as I was going down one of the aisles waiting from my script to be filled I noticed the bars were on sale.....buy one get one free! So I bought a peanut butter crisp one. It was so good!!

I think I never used them before because I was afraid of atkins products causing stalls. Now that I am maintaining, I see them as a tool to get you through a hunger spot without falling off the wagon. I would guess the meals on occasion would be great too! I was always so jealous of all the lean cuisine flavors but I can't have those.

I think whatever keeps you on track and doesn't end up causing a stall is a good thing! Everyone is different....and it's important to find what works for YOU!! I might have to check out some of these meals now!!!
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
There's a huge thread on them here: Atkins frozen meals!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EZ35
Stats: 319/296/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 15 2013
I'm eating the roasted turkey one tonight. Should I add any extra veggies or does the meal come with a sufficient amount?
EZ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
[QUOTE=EZ35;16238989]I'm eating the roasted turkey one tonight. Should I add any extra veggies or does the meal come with a sufficient amount?[/QUOTE

I thought it had enough veggies, but I think a salad might complete the meal. I think what we are finding is there is a fair amount of variation on the amounts of meat, veggies in the meals. One beef meal had only sticks of beef in it, while other beef meals had a good amount of chunks of beef in it. I think they are still working out the kinks of these meals.
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ35 View Post
I'm eating the roasted turkey one tonight. Should I add any extra veggies or does the meal come with a sufficient amount?
I always add another serving of veggies....broccoli, cauli, salad. You get the point. The turkey comes with green beans, so I would add more grean beans and mix it all together (to spread the sauce out evenly).
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I had the chili tonight. IT was the best one I have had. I am still full. I did add a bit more cheese and a couple of spoons of sour cream. It was GREAT !! Full of meat chunks and tasted great.Allmost as good as the chili I make from scratch.YUMMY !!!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EZ35
Stats: 319/296/190
Start Date: January 15 2013
I haven't found the chili one yet and would grab up everyone if I do. As for the turkey one the turkey was a little fatty.
EZ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
I had the chili tonight. IT was the best one I have had. I am still full. I did add a bit more cheese and a couple of spoons of sour cream. It was GREAT !! Full of meat chunks and tasted great.Allmost as good as the chili I make from scratch.YUMMY !!!!
Lucky you! I wonder why the chili seems so hard to find for most people?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: monees lc
Stats: 187./170/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 2008
I only found the two choices but will look for the chili and turkey meals. I did have the beef merlot for dinner and it was good also. I don't think I should have had 2 frozen meals in a day but again, I wanted to quickly see if it is something I want to have in the freezer for emergency - lazy days. I think its a winner.
monees lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monees lc View Post
I only found the two choices but will look for the chili and turkey meals. I did have the beef merlot for dinner and it was good also. I don't think I should have had 2 frozen meals in a day but again, I wanted to quickly see if it is something I want to have in the freezer for emergency - lazy days. I think its a winner.
Yep, I've got some in the freezer right now for those days when I come home exhausted from work and want a break from cooking. I've also taken them for lunch when I haven't planned ahead. I'm thrilled that I now have a low-carb "instant" option.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
They are great IMO. Minimally processed without chemicals and stuff, LC and tasty to boot. I hope other frozen food companies enter the market to compete and drive down the prices though.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Thought I would let you all know I found the chili at Foodcity.It was expensive !!! They had them for $4.99!!!! I had free coupons OR i would not have bought them there.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
Wow, I thought the atkins stuff was walmart exclusive. Hmmm. I might have to stop by one of them. I've got sorta kinda on my way home from work...
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxbane View Post
They are great IMO. Minimally processed without chemicals and stuff, LC and tasty to boot. I hope other frozen food companies enter the market to compete and drive down the prices though.
I wouldn't consider something with soy, wheat, and flavorings (typically msg) to be minimally processed or without added chemicals. People like them for the convenience but their ingredients list isn't great, and of course, everyone can decide whether they are for them or not.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 02-06-2013 at 06:28 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
Since I am in the process of moving right now and don't have a whole lot to choose from as far as "dinner" is concerned (it's either fast food, going out to eat, or frozen meals at this point) I grabbed a crustless chicken pot pie for supper and a Farmhouse style Sausage Scramble for breakfast tomorrow. (I cannot WAIT to get completely moved in so I can start eating a normal plan again!! I am so far off track that I am not even within the earth's orbit anymore) The crustless pot pie was pretty good! No complaints. I hope the sausage scramble is as tasty as the pot pie was.

But they are not something I would want to get all the time because they are pretty pricey. (at least for me)
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I wouldn't consider something with soy, wheat, and flavorings (typically msg) to be minimally processed or without added chemicals. People like them for the convenience but their ingredients list isn't great, and of course, everyone can decide whether they are for them or not.
In the USA, if MSG itself is added, it must be specifically identified on the label now. See:

Common Food Safety Questions from FSIS - Natural Flavorings on Meat & Poultry Labels
Questions and Answers on Monosodium glutamate (MSG)

My MIL gets terrible headaches from MSG (and a few other foods) and she is ok with eating foods with "natural flavors" but not MSG listed. I believe the law was different a few years ago, however.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
In the USA, if MSG itself is added, it must be specifically identified on the label now. See:

Common Food Safety Questions from FSIS - Natural Flavorings on Meat & Poultry Labels
Questions and Answers on Monosodium glutamate (MSG)

My MIL gets terrible headaches from MSG (and a few other foods) and she is ok with eating foods with "natural flavors" but not MSG listed. I believe the law was different a few years ago, however.
they hide it now with hydrolyzed protein (broken down proteins that form into msg) and that doesn't need to disclosed as MSG.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
they hide it now with hydrolyzed protein (broken down proteins that form into msg) and that doesn't need to disclosed as MSG.
From the first link in my post:

Quote:
Can hydrolyzed animal or vegetable protein be identified as "natural flavoring" on the label?
No. FSIS regulation requires that animal or vegetable proteins must be specifically identified in the ingredient statement on the labels. The source of the protein must also be disclosed. On the label, you will read "hydrolyzed wheat protein" or "hydrolyzed milk protein," not just hydrolyzed protein.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
From the first link in my post:
Atkins meals have hydrolyzed protein listed as an ingredient (not sure if all of them do). I wasn't referring to the natural flavors.

from your link

Are MSG and hydrolyzed protein related?
Yes. ..Hydrolyzed proteins, used by the food industry to enhance flavor, are simply proteins that have been chemically broken apart into amino acids. The chemical breakdown of proteins may result in the formation of free glutamate that joins with free sodium to form MSG. In this case, the presence of MSG does not need to be disclosed on labeling. Labeling is required when MSG is added as a direct ingredient.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 02-07-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Atkins meals have hydrolyzed protein listed as an ingredient (not sure if all of them do). I wasn't referring to the natural flavors.

from your link

Are MSG and hydrolyzed protein related?
Yes. ..Hydrolyzed proteins, used by the food industry to enhance flavor, are simply proteins that have been chemically broken apart into amino acids. The chemical breakdown of proteins may result in the formation of free glutamate that joins with free sodium to form MSG. In this case, the presence of MSG does not need to be disclosed on labeling. Labeling is required when MSG is added as a direct ingredient.
In your post you said

Quote:
flavorings (typically msg)
I was trying to clarify that the word "flavorings" on an ingredient list in the USA does not denote MSG or hydrolyzed protein. I agree with you that there is stuff in the Atkins meals that aren't ideal, but I think it is important for people to understand what the label and ingredients mean, and that's where the government regulations can help figure them out.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
In your post you said

I was trying to clarify that the word "flavorings" on an ingredient list in the USA does not denote MSG or hydrolyzed protein. I agree with you that there is stuff in the Atkins meals that aren't ideal, but I think it is important for people to understand what the label and ingredients mean, and that's where the government regulations can help figure them out.
You're right- I just used that as a shorthand for all the questionable things in them, because hydrolyzed proteins are also flavor enhancers among other things.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You're right- I just used that as a shorthand for all the questionable things in them, because hydrolyzed proteins are also flavor enhancers among other things.
I think we're on the same page.

BTW, I'm eating the Farmhouse-Style Sausage Scramble for lunch, and it does actually have "flavorings" as one the the sausage ingredients! But no MSG or hydrolyzed proteins, thankfully.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I just checked the nutrition information and the only one with hydrolyzed protein is the Meatloaf - it has hydrolyzed soy protein.
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DixieMoon
Start Date: 2/2011
Beef Merlot - Great
Chicken pot pie without the crust - Great
MeatLoaf (Mystery Loaf) My cat wouldn't even eat it.
DixieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
turkey and green beans.....another win
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbie
Stats: 220/194/??????
Start Date: restart again: 3/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieMoon View Post
Beef Merlot - Great
Chicken pot pie without the crust - Great
MeatLoaf (Mystery Loaf) My cat wouldn't even eat it.
I agree, I didn't like the meat loaf at all!!!!!! I WILL NOT be buying that one again!!! I will make my own meat loaf, it tastes MUCH BETTER than that mystery meat LOL!!!
lowcarbie is offline   Reply With Quote