Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ChiCityGuy
Jumpstart-Fat Fast

Do you think a fat fast is appropriate or useful for restarting after a mini cheat? I had a few wings yesterday with a little bit of breading. Probably brought my total carb count for the day to around 50, nothing awful as I am in this for the long term, but I try to stay under 30 G's per day. I was considering doing a modified fat fast for maybe 1 or 2 days. I am thinking I may subsist on about 800 Cals, entirely from Coconut oil and cream cheese. Probably won't do the full three days or more because of Dr. Atkins strict warnings regarding this diet. Any thoughts? Does anyone do anything like this after an accidental cheat day?

Thanks!
ChiCityGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I would just get back on whatever your normal plan is. If it's Atkins, go back to induction for a few days. I don't think doing anything as drastic as what you have mentioned is necessary.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I think the fat fast was more to get out of a stall...but if it makes you feel better you could try...I don't think it could hurt anything.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
no. the whole idea of somehow purging yourself to make up for a cheat is just psychological and has no good reason behind it. you can't make up, you just go forward. eat what you know is right and try to be more vigilent next time. the fat fast will not help.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The idea of the fat fast being 'to get out of a stall' is one of those beliefs that develop via boards like this.

That is NOT what Dr. A wrote. It was part of his program for those very few people who are so severely metabolically resistant to weight loss that they don't lose weight even with basic induction. The fat fast is designed to get them into ketosis so that they can continue with standard Atkins.

Anyone who loses weight (even slowly) with Atkins or any other low-carb plan doesn't need to do a 'fat fast.'

Moreover, you don't 'make up' for any off plan eating by fasting, purging, or any other extreme measures. You simply return to your plan ASAP and continue. Keep in mind that exteme measures also lead to extreme reactions, and neither one is healthy.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Do it but the 800 calorie thing is insane. Starving yourself makes your body do funky things.

It is true that what is done is done but what matters most is what you do going forward. The next step is what is important after a cheat and a fat fast is a great way to put your foot down mentally and physically.

I remember reading somewhere that the Fat Fast was born of frustration on Dr. Atkins part. He was throw-your-hands-in-the-air frustrated about the frequently remorsed keto-stick lack of results and came up with the fat fast to placate the panicky denizen of Atkins Land. I think it was more to point out that even if you zero out carbs the sticks are not reliable tools for monitoring ketosis. And, there is the subtle benefit of waking up the casual cheaters that eat too many carbs but don't think they do.

You need to eat protein though. The body responds very quickly to lack of protein. Phinney said it is along the lines of 24 hours. That is fast. So your proposed 2 day fat only plan would result in possibly needless LBM loss.

The interesting thing, though, is that if you are seriously obese you will be losing LBM no matter what you do because you have excess LBM to support the extra weight you are carrying around. That LBM goes away with the fat since it isn't needed any longer.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Wendy T
Stats: 242.6/235.6/145 5'7" 48 years old
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 7, 2013 - - AGAIN :( Hopefully for last time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
The idea of the fat fast being 'to get out of a stall' is one of those beliefs that develop via boards like this.

That is NOT what Dr. A wrote. It was part of his program for those very few people who are so severely metabolically resistant to weight loss that they don't lose weight even with basic induction. The fat fast is designed to get them into ketosis so that they can continue with standard Atkins.

Anyone who loses weight (even slowly) with Atkins or any other low-carb plan doesn't need to do a 'fat fast.'

Moreover, you don't 'make up' for any off plan eating by fasting, purging, or any other extreme measures. You simply return to your plan ASAP and continue. Keep in mind that exteme measures also lead to extreme reactions, and neither one is healthy.

Wendy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

So what would a healthy option be instead of a fat fast. What small challenge could I do for myself, to lose weight quickly (and healthy) over the next 5 (or less) day period. I'm feeling guilty and want to jump start this process. I plan on returning to my normal LC WOE after, but would like a short "challenge"
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
Do it but the 800 calorie thing is insane. Starving yourself makes your body do funky things.

But, that is what the fat fast is- it's mostly all fat and only 1000 calories, if someone eats a lot of fat and goes over that limit then it isn't a fat fast, just a menu with lots of fat.

The fat fast is a last resort for someone who isn't cheating or eating too much, and who is counting their carbs accurately and lowered their carbs to zero and still can't lose. It's not just a license to eat lots of fat.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Why are you so very concerned with 'a few wings'? Did you weigh this morning and see a higher number on the scale?

Do you understand that off-plan eating will often result in temporary water retention, and so the scale number may suggest a big 'gain.' that isn't a weight gain at all and will disappear over the next few days?

You don't need to do anything except get right back to your plan and eat wisely. No extraordinary measures are necessary--and can be counter-productive.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
But, that is what the fat fast is- it's mostly all fat and only 1000 calories, if someone eats a lot of fat and goes over that limit then it isn't a fat fast, just a menu with lots of fat.

The fat fast is a last resort for someone who isn't cheating or eating too much, and who is counting their carbs accurately and lowered their carbs to zero and still can't lose. It's not just a license to eat lots of fat.
In the first case, fat fast is used loosely around LCF and the internet. There are lots of different ways to pursue it. The time I did it months ago was 1200 calories eating 300 fat cals every 4 hours. I ate cheese so it wasn't all fat. If I knew then what I know now about protein I'd have made sure that I bookended the FF day with protein meals.

In the second case, and related to the first case, the FF is used for lots of different reason. Nothing is wrong with using it as a mental kick in the pants. In fact, it seems like I've seen a lot of posts from people that do that and to me it is sound thinking (leaving aside the protein issue).

Now if it is a challenge thread with rules laid out that'd be a whole nother thing.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
But, the fat fast is laid out by Dr. Atkins. Just because people do something else and call it a fat fast doesn't change the fact that it is something that is to be used for only a specific purpose and in a specific way. That's like saying I am doing induction (but you're eating fruit, starchy vegetables, and too much cheese) and then someone else follows their type of "induction" and says hey, I am doing induction because so and so is doing it that way.

The fat fast is laid out a specific way for a reason, to help those that can't lose any other way and the calorie restriction is a big part of it and so is the very limited list of foods that someone can have on it.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 02-04-2013 at 01:04 PM..
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
But, the fat fast is laid out by Dr. Atkins. Just because people do something else and call it a fat fast doesn't change the fact that it is something that is to be used for only a specific purpose and in a specific way. That's like saying I am doing induction (but you're eating fruit, starchy vegetables, and too much cheese) and then someone else follows their type of "induction" and says hey, I am doing induction because so and so is doing it that way.

The fat fast is laid out a specific way for a reason, to help those that can't lose any other way and the calorie restriction is a big part of it and so is the very limited list of foods that someone can have on it.
Yes I understand that but the fact is that terminology without a modifier is a fuzzy area in the LC world. To wit, what exactly defines 'low carb' and how many people agree that is the definition and how many people call what they are doing LC when there is no recognized definition? Lots of studies involve comparing diets with one bearing the LC moniker that few in the LC community would call a fair representation of LC. But even if you asked them what's fair you'd get a zillion different answers. Coming back to my terminology without a modifier would be 'Atkins Fat Fast' versus the generic 'fat fast'.

I cannot agree with you about innocent lambs being mislead by the false profits of Fat Fasting unless those describing the plan give it the Atkins imprimatur by calling it so The Atkins Fat Fast and then grossly misrepresenting it. I reread the original post and he was out of the gate off the reservation by saying it was not the FF proscribed by Dr. Atkins.

No worries! We have disagreed about other stuff on other threads
Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 71yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet; JUDDD
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12: 1/17/14
Many want a quick fix (loss). Basically, losing weight is hard work. No quick fix.

One of the quotes posted by PianoAl:

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

I've been on this WOE for over 8 months now, and worked myself up to about 30 g of carbs a day and about 2500 calories and become somewhat lax counting my carbs. I think I am going to try to do under 1800 per day this week for the mental "kick" starting with 3 days of the same menu of coffee and 1tb coconut oil for breakfast, small salad w Bacon and 2 TB of blue cheese for lunch. Snack: Can of tuna with 1 Tb mayo and 1 TB giardienerra. 3/4lb ground beef for dinner. Should be very low carb, lower calorie, high fat percentage, and "difficult" enough that I feel like I've actually done some work. Being LC for so long its hard to feel like I am working for it anymore.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
ChiCity - I agree with others that the fat fast isn't necessary. I'm wondering, though, do you feel bad about eating those wings? If so, maybe it'd be helpful to look at what led up to it - eating with friends, nothing in the fridge, whatever the case might be - and make some plans so that the next time you're in that situation you have other choices.

nolcjunk - I agree. Low carb works because it's based on human biology - if people switch it around based on what they heard online, or what they think might work, they can end up with something much less effective. It doesn't keep working just because they call it "low carb" or "Atkins".

It's like the old joke -

"How many legs does a dog have?"
"Four."
"If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does it have."
"Five."
"Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one."
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
It certainly won't hurt to do a fat fast. I do it a day or two weekly on my lower cal days.

You may not need it but it can help one get back on track....like after holiday eating, or when one cannot seem to get out of a binge cycle....as well as jump starting/breaking a stall.

FF may or may not be for you, but plenty of peop employ it regularly; Dana Carpendar likes it for a day or two weekly, as well.

Dr Salerno, who worked w Atkins does not limit it to a few days only and his food list does include 2 oz protein in his mini meals.

There is new info available. You might google......If you use Atkins in your query, you'll get better results.

Oh, and check out the Fat Faster's under Hcg sub forum.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
When I have a higher than normal carb day, I do a day of basically induction. If I dont, I am so hungry and the induction levels will get me back on track.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
When I have a higher than normal carb day, I do a day of basically induction. If I dont, I am so hungry and the induction levels will get me back on track.
if i get off track a day or 2, i do meat/egg and you can have lots of fat with this to
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote