Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Your own low carb plan.

what made you decide to just do your own low carb plan and not become a member of some labeled diet such as atkins, south beach, paleo or whatever?

tons of low carb plans out there to follow. But I noticed many on the board just do their own low carb thing and are doing very well.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Great question, looking forward to reading replies.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I actually think the opposite, many people that try to do their own plan from the beginning have a harder time and find it more difficult to figure out what is causing problems if they stall.

It's a lot easier to follow a plan, especially at the beginning. I mean why re-invent the wheel? just doing your own thing sounds great in theory because you can just eat whatever you want and not have to follow someone else's rules, but there is a reason these plans are written a certain way. Like for example, induction- there is a reason why everything is so limited and you are supposed to only get a certain amount of hwc, and cheese, and artificial sweeteners, you are learning how to eat a totally different way. If you start off breaking those rules there is a bigger chance that you won't get great results.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mamajennleigh
Stats: 175/147/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
I started off on strict induction two years ago and lost quite a bit. I got a little impatient and decided I could figure things out for myself, so I spent the next year and a half playing with the same 5-10 lbs over and over again. The plans are "plans" for a reason, and I've finally learned my lesson. So, back to induction it is, and I'm going to climb the carb ladder by the book this time. Trying to reinvent the wheel works for some, but it didn't work for me at all.
mamajennleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Sometimes "own plan" can mean that the person is actually following more than 1 plan, which isn't necessarily a contradiction/impossibility.

For example, I started on Atkins and still limit carbs as suggested by Atkins. Since I wasn't losing well on Atkins alone, I tweaked it to be nutritional ketosis (carb levels limited, as in Atkins, but also with limits on protein--whose level which is unspecified in Atkins) in a JUDDD framework (alternate day calorie cycling). One can do NK or Atkins within JUDDD--or not; JUDDD is a very flexible plan. I also try to eat "very clean" and emphasize traditional nutrient sources like bone broth and organ meats, so I add the label "primal." If carefully done, these plans are all compatible, so long as one respects their limiting parameters--limit carbs on Atkins plus limit protein on NK plus limit those calories following the guidelines of JUDDD, plus choose those carbs/protein/fat calories according to the guidelines set by primal/paleo.

But since I am adding together non-contradictory elements of multiple plans, I could just call my WOE "my own." Nonetheless, if you asked if I were following Atkins, I could stay honestly answer "yes" (but with constraints on what I eat when following Atkins).

Some people probably lose fine just "limiting carbs" according to their own taste. Many people who lose successfully that way might have lost successfully on other approaches (such as lowfat/highcarb/lowcalorie). My reading of some of the scientific literature suggests that people who are not insulin-resistent or weightloss resistent may lose well under a variety of approaches, but people who are insulin-resistent generally do much better on lowcarb--and may need the constraints of a particular plan to be successful. The harder it is for someone to lose weight, the more important it is to select and follow a set plan, IMO.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think that many poeple do have the foundations read about other plans like atkins, south beach, etc. before even starting low carb plan of their own. Or they are the type that starts low carb alone and then read up after on plans and get great info. either way, before or after start, the info is out there to use and combine and work your own plan without being dedicated to one.

so people can do their own thing and still incorporate the guts of other plans which would make their personal journeys easier and successful.

I went rogue against a labeled plan. should be interesting to see what goes on without following step by step instructions. I seen many on this board doing their own thing and doing it very well with great advice to offer others.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
I would be one of those people. I lost 60 lbs doing it "my" way.

I knew about Atkins for years, as well as a lot of the others. I tried doing it over and over, and failed each time. I know myself very well, was able to get to the root of the two or three issues that led to failure, designed my own program around it, and voila! It worked for me.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YOU ROCK! that is what I like to hear. the success of doing it yourself
you made it work for you when a plan like atkins failed you. very cool!!

if you can, tell me the problem areas you ran into and the fixes. you never know if that might help me or someone else who runs into a problem.
thanks

Last edited by Trigger828; 02-04-2013 at 06:22 AM..
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Hi-Im one who finally decided to do my own plan.I have been around the lc scene and lc friends for yrs. and always followed a plan(usually induction).Id get bored with my choices and quit at 3 weeks op over and over again,feel ashamed and go off plan for 3-4 months and come back with tail between my leg to repeat the cycle..I lose fast and that 3 weeks would see a dramatic drop in lbs but It still couldnt hold me to induction.
Since this is try number 12??? I decided to try something different.Simply eat moderate LC and avoid white flour and sugar.I allow some AS as they dont seem to bother me,sometimes my carbs are closer to 30 than 20,I dont choose carrots or corn but I will eat them if mixed in a salad,Ive had 3-4 strawberries or 1/2 a green apple.I havent done yogurt yet but will try that soon as well.I enjoy the added variety and if it helps keep me on the wagon,why not?I've spent yrs. on here listening to why it wont work so decided to see for myself if it can
.I've noticed there are many success stories that say "my own plan" on them,my sister lost 40lbs following her own lc plan in about 3.5 months so I know it is possible.
Reasons I think it might be working??
I have no hunger and feel great on 1300-1500 calories
These add ins have not caused cravings or hunger.
MY scale is dropping daily
I feel optomistic that ive found the right plan for me
Im not hungry and rarely think about food
Only time will tell if this was a good idea or not but I decided to step out of the box and give it a try.I felt It was time to take all the knowledge ive learned and apply what works for me.
March Goal 169lbs-met March 13th
Aprils Goal 159lbs-
Goal Weight-149lbs-
Current weight -189lbs after months of insanity
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Hi, Kim, I'm glad that you've worked out something that you can stick with and that works for you.

It does seem to me that some of the things that you are eating--for example, strawberries, half an apple, yogurt, artificial sweeteners, 30 carbs rather than 20/day--aren't necessarily incompatible with a number of plans--for example, Atkins ongoing weight loss (rather than Atkins induction). I say this not to disagree with you , but to remind people new to lowcarb that some of the features you are enjoying can also be enjoyed within specific plans (particularly after a 2 week induction is over).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kimberlie you are doing so well without a label also. I like that. You found what works for you knowing yourself and eating patterns. Inductions are rough and then into the Phase 2 is no picnic either. I hear you on that one.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sven an apple isn't allowed on atkins until you are almost right at goal.

so if someone has 50 lbs to lose and wants an apple, it is not recommended or on the food list for quite some time.

while tons of food any LC person would eat will show up on other labeled plans lists, it is how and when you can eat it according to their plan.

if I want 1/2 apple tomorrow I can have it. on atkins I would be told, oh no that is a higher carb fruit, run away this early in the game. you aren't doing the carb ladder correctly.

I think that the restriction of food is a big killer for most people on certain plans.
So they make their own to work around their lifestyle and succeed just like the other posters.

since I am familiar with atkins mostly I can say the 'eat 12-15 nc from veggies' is something I like to deviate from. there are days no way anyone is eating that much in veggies. there are days you want to switch up and not feel like you are failing the plan rules.

the do it yourself low carb plan people make it work for them. they make it successful when labeled plans fail them. to me that is such ambition and courage to rock out and succeed on your own!! Talk about a boost of power!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I agree that following a proven plan is the best way to get optimal results.
The problem for me is that is that sticking closely to a plan starts to become too much like work. I get bored, or frustrated etc. and then can just throw it all away.
In my woe and my exercise routine, I have to maintain interest and motivation. The only way for me to do that is to personalize them.
It does impact negatively on the results but it's far more effective than giving up, which I have a habit of doing.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

great post avid.
that is a great explanation of why you choose your own thing. And with stats like yours, you are doing very well!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Hi, Kim, I'm glad that you've worked out something that you can stick with and that works for you.

It does seem to me that some of the things that you are eating--for example, strawberries, half an apple, yogurt, artificial sweeteners, 30 carbs rather than 20/day--aren't necessarily incompatible with a number of plans--for example, Atkins ongoing weight loss (rather than Atkins induction). I say this not to disagree with you , but to remind people new to lowcarb that some of the features you are enjoying can also be enjoyed within specific plans (particularly after a 2 week induction is over).
EXACTLY!!I just didnt follow a strict induction phase this time and kinda made my own ladder per sayIts a mix of several plans ive tried but still relatively LC and Low calorie as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
sven an apple isn't allowed on atkins until you are almost right at goal.

so if someone has 50 lbs to lose and wants an apple, it is not recommended or on the food list for quite some time.

while tons of food any LC person would eat will show up on other labeled plans lists, it is how and when you can eat it according to their plan.

if I want 1/2 apple tomorrow I can have it. on atkins I would be told, oh no that is a higher carb fruit, run away this early in the game. you aren't doing the carb ladder correctly.

I think that the restriction of food is a big killer for most people on certain plans.
So they make their own to work around their lifestyle and succeed just like the other posters.

since I am familiar with atkins mostly I can say the 'eat 12-15 nc from veggies' is something I like to deviate from. there are days no way anyone is eating that much in veggies. there are days you want to switch up and not feel like you are failing the plan rules.

the do it yourself low carb plan people make it work for them. they make it successful when labeled plans fail them. to me that is such ambition and courage to rock out and succeed on your own!! Talk about a boost of power!
This is my first try doing it my way but I can say Ive lost 7lbs in 9 days so far
My sister on the other hand rocked her own plan...she didnt like pork or eggs and avoided them ,ate lc icecream nightly,a pc. of lc candy or 2 daily,peas, pkgd.gravy in small amts,and breaded chicken from fast foods,a strawberry protein shake every morning and lost 40lbs in 3 months time taking her from a 14-16 to a 6-8.She never frequented any boards and didnt know the pitfalls of going rogue so after reading DANDR decided to tweak it to suit herself.

Last edited by Kimberli33; 02-04-2013 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: sp. error
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I think some people need very structured rules to follow for them to succeed. Others are able to combine different plans to find one that is suitable for them and also succeed. I think a lot depends on your personality.

For me, I do my own thing. I have never liked being told I can't have something- regardless of what it is- it just makes me want to do/have it more. So by doing my own thing, I can have whatever I want, I just choose not to. I know it's the same thing as choosing to follow Atkins/Carb Addicts/ etc., but in my mind, it's different.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
After watching Fat Head, and skimming Why We Get Fat, I was inspired to do a bit of research myself - the very research which led me to this site. I tried to pay attention, not simply to the science, but to the people who were showing success with low carb.

The science said "VLC Ketosis-type diets correct insulin resistance, and force the body to burn fat instead of store it."

The anecdotal evidence seemed to indicate that the people who posted the kind of results I would want to emulate shared a few things in common:

1. They viewed carbs as an addiction -- not in a funny chocoholic way, but a straght-up legit-as-heck addiction, complete with cravings, withdrawals, and addict behaviors. I would have to treat garbage carbs the way I treated smoking when I quit that. Zero tolerance - especially at first. Food is a little different because you have to eat to survive, and sometimes in a pinch that's going to mean carbs. But the principles are the same

2. They constantly sought to broaden their knowledge of their low carb lifestyle. Knowing that it works isn't enough - they need to know how and why it works too.

3. They consistently recovered from their carb mistakes quickly, refusing to moralize food - and jumping back on the wagon at the nearest possible opportunity.

4. They bring a zealotry to the low carb lifestyle that rivals the dedication one might show towards a sports team. They don't "HAVE" to be low carb, they are fortunate enough to have the knowledge and opportunity to cut grains, starches, and sugars from their diet.

When the time came to start my diet, I went with the diet out of the back of WWGF - which I believe was developed by Dr. Eastman. But I didn't like some of the choices - the emphasis on vegetables, for example. Because I had an understanding of how the diet worked, and a perfect guinea pig for case study (me), I decided to adapt the diet to remain within the carbohydrate goals, but allow for larger amounts of avocado (half an avocado a day, my eye!). I experimented with my carb limit, and monitored my ketone bodies and found that 20 gross carbs (plus an assumed 10 phantom carbs to account for rounding errors on packaging, and mis-estimated vegetable serving sizes), was the limit before I get knocked out of ketosis.

Ever since then, I've remained between 10 and 20 labelled and estimated carbs per day. I count every fraction of every carb I eat - even the very small amount of carbs in eggs.

I don't follow a plan, because I prefer to think for myself; using the data I've collected to allow me to experiment and identify opportunities for improvement.

Oddly enough, it might be easier for some to find a plan and follow it - but for me, fewer rules make an easier plan...

1. Eat fewer than 20 carbs per day
2. No Sugar (including fruit and some vegetables)
3. No Starch

That's the entire plan - easy to execute on, effective, and I only have to be able to count to 20.

So, I guess at the end of the day, I follow my own plan because I'm lazy.
9/1/2014 266.8

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Last edited by Z; 02-04-2013 at 07:14 AM..
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
I started Atkins 3 years ago and lost well. I was obsesses with weighing food, food logs, counting everything. I was stalling for months on end and basically had to eliminate everything I loved to start losing weight again. I threw it all out the window and ate like a pig for months and gained every pound back plus 5 more. I knew in my heart that l/c was the best thing for me so I decided to just start off removing all obvious carbs ( flours, rice, startches, sugars) and just live life eating like this. I never learned to eat l/c for life only to lose weight. Now I am learning to eat like this because it is good for me and I feel good , even if the scale doesnt move as much as I want, I am enjoying this lifestyle so eventually i will reach goal but in the process I am learning so much about myself. I also have a huge sweet tooth and I enjoy my endulgences every now and then ( and no a pickle doesnt cut it for me nor do I want it to) so I made fruit an allowed food for myself and was shocked to find out I lost the most weight when I ate fruit on a daily basis and an added bonus to this was with fruit in my diet my IBS never flared like it had in the past. I play with recipes, I eat till I am full, I love food and always will. I am so close to goal and I know if I reduced my calories some I would get there in no time but, for me, its slow and steady wins the race because had I of rushed to goal I am scared I wouldn't have learned all the fantastic things that I have learned about myself and am still learning...

Last edited by canadiangirl; 02-04-2013 at 07:07 AM..
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
It might be due to being vegetarian but I've got a pretty short attention span when it comes to staying on plan so I tend to bounce around a bit. I did JUDDD for a while, then LCHF, then added in some various forms of intermittent fasting, then just VLC without worrying about calories, then back to IF, etc...

The common thread is LC to VLC, high fat and some form of fasting a few days a week. It works for me but might be too inconsistent for others.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
great observations! this hit the nail on the head for me. I am totally obsessed, and I always have been, with low carb. I also quit smoking many years ago and I replaced that bad habit with cycling, so I think here I am replacing my carb addiction with a low carb/metabolic science addiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
After watching Fat Head, and skimming Why We Get Fat, I was inspired to do a bit of research myself - the very research which led me to this site. I tried to pay attention, not simply to the science, but to the people who were showing success with low carb.

The science said "VLC Ketosis-type diets correct insulin resistance, and force the body to burn fat instead of store it."

The anecdotal evidence seemed to indicate that the people who posted the kind of results I would want to emulate shared a few things in common:

1. They viewed carbs as an addiction -- not in a funny chocoholic way, but a straght-up legit-as-heck addiction, complete with cravings, withdrawals, and addict behaviors. I would have to treat garbage carbs the way I treated smoking when I quit that. Zero tolerance - especially at first. Food is a little different because you have to eat to survive, whereas you don't have to freebase smack to survive.

2. They constantly sought to broaden their knowledge of their low carb lifestyle. Knowing that it works isn't enough - they need to know how and why it works too.

3. They consistently recovered from their carb mistakes quickly, refusing to moralize food - and jumping back on the wagon at the nearest possible opportunity.

4. They bring a zealotry to the low carb lifestyle that rivals the dedication one might show towards a sports team. They don't "HAVE" to be low carb, they are fortunate enough to have the knowledge and opportunity to cut grains, starches, and sugars from their diet.

When the time came to start my diet, I went with the diet out of the back of WWGF - which I believe was developed by Dr. Eastman. But I didn't like some of the choices - the emphasis on vegetables, for example. Because I had an understanding of how the diet worked, and a perfect guinea pig for case study (me), I decided to adapt the diet to remain within the carbohydrate goals, but allow for larger amounts of avocado (half an avocado a day, my eye!). I experimented with my carb limit, and monitored my ketone bodies and found that 20 gross carbs (plus an assumed 10 phantom carbs to account for rounding errors on packaging, and mis-estimated vegetable serving sizes), was the limit before I get knocked out of ketosis.

Ever since then, I've remained between 10 and 20 labelled and estimated carbs per day. I count every fraction of every carb I eat - even the very small amount of carbs in eggs.

I don't follow a plan, because I prefer to think for myself; using the data I've collected to allow me to experiment and identify opportunities for improvement.

Oddly enough, it might be easier for some to find a plan and follow it - but for me, fewer rules make an easier plan...

3. No Starch

That's the entire plan - easy to execute on, effective, and I only have to be able to count to 20.

So, I guess at the end of the day, I follow my own plan because I'm lazy.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by creseis View Post
great observations! this hit the nail on the head for me. I am totally obsessed, and I always have been, with low carb. I also quit smoking many years ago and I replaced that bad habit with cycling, so I think here I am replacing my carb addiction with a low carb/metabolic science addiction!
Hey no fair!!! You're already a scientist!

Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
I appreciate and study the labeled "diets" out there and I follow the big similarity. No or highly limit white foods, processed foods, sugary foods.

oh another reason I follow "My" plan----I eat fruit daily, all varieties of fruit.
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I stay low to moderate carb (but not really counting carbs. Just eat the foods that I got used to eating and loving on Atkins and eliminate breads, starches and "frankenfoods") in a JUDDD structure of also counting calories every other day.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
My plan has been a little different. I went LCHF to get my bs under control. I'd love to also lose weight, but that hasn't been my top priority. I've been doing this for almost a year and have lost a few pounds, but nothing spectacular. I'm just happy my weight is going in the right direction.
When I first found out where my bs was at, I knew I had to give up all carbs. I stopped eating fruit, beans, grains, potatoes, pasta, most veggies, etc. and immediately started researching online. I do still eat dairy and nuts. That's how I found out about LCHF and started increasing my fat.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I think doing low carb your own way is great if you know what works for you...but, most of us coming into this are clueless...there are so many people out there that say they are low carb and are eating so many things that have sugar and flour and strarch in them because they have know idea what low carb even is...low carb is relative to what person you are speaking to...if you ask the dietitian at the hospital or your doctor they will have you eating a huge amount of carbs in a day as opposed to one of the low carb way of eating books we might choose here. So ...I not knowing what low carb was needed a plan and a strict one or my carb monster would cause me to fail and I would give up...now by following a plan I can look back to the book to see what I might be doing wrong...there is a lot of science and research that I don't have time to do already figured out for me in a book and all I have to do is look here or the book for the potential answer.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: facelessnumber
Stats: 265/167/165
WOE: Induction+high protein+weights
Start Date: 7/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
3. No Starch
That is exactly what I do. Why over complicate it? Why does this require a book's worth of extra "plan?" I aim for zero carbs but I know that's nigh impossible so I allow for the odd gram or two here and there over the course of a day, with 20 being the absolute ceiling. I lost a lot of my weight at first doing only that.

Then I suppose it became "my own" plan when it occurred to me, by forcing my body to break down all this protein, my blood is probably just swimming with delicious amino acids with which to build muscle. I figured this would make weight lifting a good bit more effective than usual and I should take advantage. I thought, add exercise and burn more fat, hopefully add muscle and increase base metabolic rate, and add more protein to support this. It was a big concern for me to not lose muscle while I lost fat, and I was very pleased to find that I could not only keep it but add to it while accelerating fat loss. Higher BMR should make it easier to maintain my weight later on as well.

So to those three rules above I added:

4. Lunch is now 60g of whey protein isolate.
5. ...Followed immediately by a short but intense resistance workout.

And it works. Look at my avatar and tell me I'm doing it wrong.
facelessnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
After reading WWGF and Wheat Belly I didn't feel that Atkins or any 'plan' had a lock on how to be successful at LC. I was also a little put off by how commercialized Atkins had become in the intervening 15 years.

Back in the 90's I did the Atkins '72 plan for a month and it was amazing. At the time I wasn't willing to limit carbs because I drank a lot and didn't feel that I was too overweight anyway.

In 2011, I was fat as heck and had completely forgotten about my experience 15 or so years ago. I read WWGF and Wheat Belly and turned immediately back to the Atkins woe with a google search. Why buy the book if you can just google the information was my thinking heh. I wasn't interested in following Taubes' outline for diet, or Dr. Davis except of course for abolishing wheat from my life, because I already knew that Atkins worked.

But, like a whole lot of restarters, I was too smart by half. I wasn't some noob. I jumped right to eating this and that as long as it was ostensibly LC. Being so dang fat, it worked for about 20 pounds. Then I stopped seeing the scale move.

By then I was already here at LCF and I saw that a lot of people were doing LC a lot of different ways. I found the EFGT forum and a super high fat challenge thread so I joined that and changed what I was doing to LCHF.

I rode that down to 205 and stalled for months.

The worst thing about stalls is the fatalism you start feeling lol. So, I had carb creep. I got on the scale and saw 214 which shocked me. I found another high fat challenge thread and joined it. NK was a big buzz right then, thanks to Jimmy Moore, so I became familiar with its precepts and concepts and off I went.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I think doing low carb your own way is great if you know what works for you...but, most of us coming into this are clueless...there are so many people out there that say they are low carb and are eating so many things that have sugar and flour and strarch in them because they have know idea what low carb even is...low carb is relative to what person you are speaking to...if you ask the dietitian at the hospital or your doctor they will have you eating a huge amount of carbs in a day as opposed to one of the low carb way of eating books we might choose here. So ...I not knowing what low carb was needed a plan and a strict one or my carb monster would cause me to fail and I would give up...now by following a plan I can look back to the book to see what I might be doing wrong...there is a lot of science and research that I don't have time to do already figured out for me in a book and all I have to do is look here or the book for the potential answer.
I agree there are some that are clueless and definitely need a starting point.

but like Kim's sister, she eats some breaded chicken at a fast food place. she eliminated on her lifetstyle and included what she wanted in her lifestyle. some lc people would faint hearing someone on lc is eating breaded chicken. me, I would love a piece every now and then just like her.

plus low carb in the real world is considered about 150 g and under. (That is what I see out there when you look for a low carb type plan even though being a low carber 150 is super high to me )

so even if people cut carbs to 60-80 they are well ahead of the people sucking down 300g and over per day.

so if help is needed and someone buys a book on a labeled plan....they start and find it super restrictive to fit their expectations, you either fail, throw the book in the garbage and after alot of attempts (because they have some knowledge about lc) go rogue and make it work on their own.

I absolutely agree some people are great on a plan. But I am so encouraged by the people doing it on their own, without a scheduled eating list, and have been super successful. again, those people are the ones that decided even if plans fail them, they will not let a possible fix elude them. and they found it and work it everyday.

all these posts were great to read!!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I've been doing LC my way for a long time and have been quite successful. In Sept. of 2012 I cut out all wheat and grains as well and since then have lost an additional 50 pounds.

I don't count carbs but figure I'm somewhere between 20 to 35 every day...ballpark. I enjoy all protein, eat pretty high fat, dairy, nuts and veggies. I don't typically eat "frankenfoods", or too much fast/restaurant food. I never feel deprived and am VERY happy with my progress.

The main thing I have learnd about myself, is to NOT follow a specific program or I would have felt like I was, once again, following a diet....that for me is detrimental. Diets for me are something I was either ON or OFF. I was either GOOD or BAD.

Now, instead, this is just my way of eating because my body functions best this way and I want to be healthy. I don't always make the best choices but I no longer look at is as "hmmmm....I went OFF my program so I might as well go get some nachos before I go back ON my program".

Anyway.....works for me!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote