Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
I totally agree Arctic Mama, I find too may people try to tweak too early on with bad results and end up going off plan (me included). But, I can only hope that I have learned my lesson this time around. I personally believe in strict extended induction for as long as possible if you want consistent losses and have severe metabolic issues and quite a bit of weight to lose like I did. I didn`t start adding in IF until I was within 10 lbs or so of my goal. I didn`t feel restricted as some folks say they feel, I was just so happy to be able to eat until satiety and lose weight, without massive cravings and exercising to exhaustion. After all the low fat, low calorie, calorie counting, depression years I felt hope after educating myself about the science behind low carb and haven`t looked back. I enjoy being a fat burning machine, everyone must find their own way,this is just my opinion from personal experience.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #62
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
unless you have a firm grasp of the science behind it.
That is really the key right there. I'd add that you also have to have a high level of self-awareness about what you are doing. You have to remember at all times that you're off the beaten path and correlation may not be causality.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Well, I have pretty much been on some type of diet for about 30 years. It isn't fun. I have struggled with being overweight, having an obese BMI, yoyo dieting and binge eating disorder. I could never really stick to a diet or (plan) so I eventually gave up on those and just took up extreme exercise as a tool for weight management. It sort of worked, until I had a baby. And now that I am getting older all the exercise seems to get me is injury and to a place where I have no time to do anything else, other than exercise to keep my weight down. I am so tired of being controlled by weight issues and food.

Even though the Atkins diet has some pros and cons, the theory behind it is good will probably work for me eventually, but I do have to tweak it to make it work, because I have metabolic issues. I don't know if Atkins would have worked for me years ago if I had tried it back then, because I didn't have the knowledge about myself, and what works and what doesn't work for me. Or even how to modify a plan to make it fit my needs. I think for people who don't have serious metabolic issues it is probably a great plan, and many people could have success just following it the way it is. Maybe if I hadn't done all the experimenting with my diet that lead to so much frustration over the years, maybe I wouldn't be in the position of knowing now, how to modify atkins to make it work for me. I know the JUDD plan for example would not work for me because of how unstable my insulin levels can be. I haven't been officially diagnosed with type II diabetes but my dad developed it in his mid 50s, so I am probably on the same pathway.

So for me, doing my own plan works but only because my body is unique in the way it reacts to food. At least the food that is mostly available to us. I'm just flabbergasted by the fact that other people can seem to eat potatos and bananas, which is naturally good food, and don't have any issues with them at all. For me, it has to be more than just "eating clean."

Last edited by Punkin; 02-07-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Atkins is a personalized plan so everyone figures out there own thing. So yeah.. Do my own thing ... It's called Atkins! I love that I can fit fruit , potatoes and bread into Atkins!
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #65
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I agree that you really need to know what you are doing if you want to formulate your own plan (as opposed to tweaking established ones).

I also believe you need to know what is best for yourself based on past experience. What is best is not always what you want. It is also important to be open to new things because there is always more to learn.

I've made tough decisions because I know they are best for my health & for my fat loss even though I'd rather not have done so. It would have been so easy - and fun - to make a plan that includes all my favorite low carb foods but an honest look told me that would not get me where I want to be. I am reaping the rewards & I find I don't even miss the foods I have chosen not to include in my plan.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 02-09-2013 at 09:39 AM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote